Adding a Wealthfront account...

dolfan29
dolfan29 Member ✭✭
When using the app password supplied by Wealthfront, it finds the account but won't actually add the account even though Quicken says it did.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

The FIDIR.txt file (Financial Institutions Directory….the file that tells Quicken which FIs support Quicken with which connection methods and for which types of accounts) shows the following for Wealthfront:

• 17260 17260 17260 Wealthfront Inc. https://www.wealthfront.com/ (844) 995-8437 https://www.wealthfront.com/ ACTIVE INVESTMENT&WEB-CONNECT INVESTMENT&EXP-WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

My understanding is that investment transactions can only be downloaded by Direct Connect (DC), Express Web Connect+ (EWC+) and Web Connect (WC). However, this listing shows EWC and Investments together which is not possible. It also explains why those here who are trying to get Wealthfront set up for investment transactions downloads from within Quicken are getting unexpected results.

At this point, it seems clear that setting up Wealthfront for investment transactions downloads from within Quicken cannot be done. To start being able to download from within Quicken Wealthfront will need to contract with Intuit to set up support for the DC or EWC+ connection methods. Wealthfront owns making that decision.

Has anyone tried using WC (manually downloading transactions from the online Wealthfront account in QFX…also sometimes referred to as "Quicken" or "Web Connect"….format and then manually importing that file into Quicken)?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    dolfan29 said:
    When using the app password supplied by Wealthfront, it finds the account but won't actually add the account even though Quicken says it did.
    Hello @dolfan29,    

I am sorry about this problem with online banking services and adding accounts. Thank you for alerting us to this here on the Quicken Community.

If you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted

You may then add your Wealthfront-associated accounts by navigating to the Add Account button in the upper left-hand side of the screen, denoted by the '+' symbol. Let us know if you see the same error message occurring in the test data file once this is attempted. This will help us identify the problem and give us clues about further options for troubleshooting.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2023
    There have been some issues introduced with one of the recent version updates (I can't remember which one) where new accounts added are sometimes hidden. 

You might want to go to Account List and check the box for "Show Hidden Accounts".  Then review the list to see if it is shown there.  If it is shown there, click on the Edit button for that account and on the Display Options tab uncheck the box for Hide account name in account bar and account list.  Then click on OK.  That should resolve the issue.

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2023
    Same problem. It's not a hidden account issue. To be more specific, an account does get created in Quicken, and a balance gets downloaded, but no transactions. After the process is complete, Quicken shows the account is not set up for Online Services. Clicking "Set Up" repeats this again, without changing the results.

This has been ongoing for at least a year. It appears something may be wrong with Quicken's aggregation process for this FI: there are QFX files available once logging into the portal, but the data there doesn't seem to be getting ingested.

It's worth mentioning another mismatch here. I have a Cash Account, and when I complete the process above, the account Quicken creates (which doesn't get transaction updates) is a "Savings" account. However, in the QFX files available from Wealthfront, this is (for whatever reason) encoded as an investment account. So manually importing the QFX files after this actually creates a separate account in Quicken (investment transactions can't get added to a savings account).
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2023
    Also reported by Mac users: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7926301/unable-to-sync-with-wealthfront

@Quicken Jared I had a rather unhelpful interaction with Customer Support, who insisted that the FI would somehow need to fix this, without seeming to understand that the FI quite literally has zero control over Quicken's aggregator. Kindly escalate.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    dpward said:
    @Quicken Jared reminder about this please. I had a rather unhelpful interaction with Customer Support, who insisted that the FI would somehow need to fix this, even though they literally have zero control over Quicken's aggregation process.
    Hello @dpward,  

We are sorry about these difficulties with online banking services that seem to be affecting you as well, and about this negative experience with Support. 

First, were you able to pursue the troubleshooting steps listed earlier? If so, what were your results?

I look forward to your answer, and hope to provide further assistance, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2023
    @Quicken Jared I am a network engineer. I have troubleshooted this thoroughly, and the problem is in Quicken's aggregation service. To understand this:

Wealthfront (the Financial Institution) provides clients' transaction data on its website. A client may visit the Wealthfront website, log in, and download transaction data as a QFX file.

Quicken's aggregation process is supposed to automatically download this QFX file on the user's behalf every night, and store the data it contains onto Quicken's servers. Later, when the user launches the Quicken software on their computer, it connects to Quicken's servers, which return the "aggregated" QFX data.

Instead of doing that, Quicken's servers are just returning the account balance without any transactions - and indicating that this balance is for a "Savings" account. That last part is very important: Wealthfront is a brokerage, and its QFX data clearly indicates that it is not about a "Savings" account, but about an "Investment" account.

Quicken needs to fix its aggregation service by:
    - indicating the correct type of account ("Investment"), and
    - downloading transaction data correctly. Most likely, it using the wrong address for this.

Please note: there is nothing Wealthfront can possibly fix on their end. Quicken connects to Wealthfront's website all on its own; Wealthfront literally has no control over how Quicken tries to do that. Quicken must use up-to-date addresses to download data from Wealthfront's website, and then handle that data correctly.

Please escalate this to the appropriate team. Thanks for your help!
  • @Quicken Jared
    I spoke with Tier 2 support and they are investigating the problem. Can we add this to the Known Product Issues section please? Happy to provide case # if needed (feel free to message).
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @dpward,
    dpward said:
    @Quicken Jared
    I spoke with Tier 2 support and they are investigating the problem. Can we add this to the Known Product Issues section please? Happy to provide case # if needed (feel free to message).
    We were able to pull and review the Tier 2 ticket you are referring to. Based on the details within this ticket, our Tier 2 team filed an individual escalation that only applies to your individual account/dataset.

Due to this, we are unable to add this to the "Known Product Issues" category of the Community as this section of the Community is specifically used to post Alerts based on the info we receive from internal Alerts that are created for widespread issues. At this time, this issue is not considered widespread and does not have an internal Alert ticket.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• pothole
    pothole Member
    I am also having an issue with Wealthfront brokerage account information. The securities and number of shares information is accurate but the price is waaaaaaay off to the extent that my balance is $350M. That would be grand but it's simply not the case. I am having to manually update the share price for each security after performing a one step update. Are you experiencing this as well or just the lack of transactions and a $0 balance?
  • I don't have a brokerage account there, just a cash account.

Try logging into the Wealthfront client portal in your browser, then go to "Documents", and use the "Export to Quicken" feature. You can open the downloaded QFX file directly in a text editor. Does the pricing information look correct? Search for <UNITPRICE>. In this example, 1234.560000 shares @ $1.00/share = $1234.56.

<INVPOS>
    <SECID>
    <UNIQUEID>WFDIC01*6</UNIQUEID>
    <UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</UNIQUEIDTYPE>
    </SECID>
    <HELDINACCT>CASH</HELDINACCT>
    <POSTYPE>LONG</POSTYPE>
    <UNITS>1234.560000</UNITS>
    <UNITPRICE>1.000000</UNITPRICE>
    <MKTVAL>1234.56</MKTVAL>
    <DTPRICEASOF>20230213000000.000</DTPRICEASOF>
    </INVPOS>

You might also be able to see the data obtained when syncing the account automatically in Quicken. Try going to Help > Contact Support > Log Files > OFX Log. (You might have to save that to a text file and then search.)
  • pothole
    pothole Member
    I've performing some t-shooting.

Wealthfront/Quicken

- Import 23 Feb 0740 - Good
    - Import 23 Feb 0740 - Good
    - Import 23 Feb 0744 - Good

I'll wait a bit for another run to see if it has something to do with frequency/duration of/between runs
    I am leaving Quicken open as well. Perhaps it has something to do with a "session."

- Import 23 Feb 0959 - Good

Close Quicken

- Import 23 Feb 1000 - Good

Closing/re-opening didn't cause the behavior

- Import 24 Feb 0620 - No good

OFX Log Data for 24 Feb thus far

==== OSU Start (20230224/06:19:47) ====

================ (27.1.47.15) (20230224/06:19:48) ===================

==== OSU End (20230224/06:20:11) ====

This log doesn't tell me anything as you can see.

I need to download the QFX file from WF and analyze that data, as you suggested, to see whether there is an issue at the source.
  • pothole
    pothole Member
    *I've been performing...

Nice edit feature...sigh.
  • dhcernese
    dhcernese Member ✭✭
    this might explain why I've been trying to add my Wealthfront account, Quicken says it did, ...and then nothing. There is no online settings saved.
    Quicken Premier R48.18 on Windows10 now. I started with MYM (Managing Your Money) on DOS
  • jj fizzle
    jj fizzle Member
    I'm not even able to create a Wealthfront account at all. It just keeps re-asking me to make sure my credentials are correct (which they are). This is a pain and I hope someone will actually resolve this soon. Horrible customer experience.
  • dhcernese
    dhcernese Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    I recreated the account by downloading the qfx file manually and imported it as an investment account. I only use their cash but it tracks as an investment. Setup download using the app-specific password I created and it does find the account! ...but as SAVINGs.. So, I let it add that new account: no transactions! Check out the account settings-- it's not setup for online services !? ...but it just created the account and had the balance. This is very screwy.
    Quicken Premier R48.18 on Windows10 now. I started with MYM (Managing Your Money) on DOS
  • user12
    user12 Member

My wealthfront account is not connecting. It previously worked now it doesn't. i can't even login thru quicken even though login is valid. when i click on download transactions, quicken takes me to below web page

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    <Errors xmlns="http://schema.intuit.com/platform/common/error/v1"><error><code>AuthenticationFailed</code><type>INPUT</type></error></Errors>

• dhcernese
    dhcernese Member ✭✭
    Did you create and use an app-specific password?
  • greenperro
    greenperro Member ✭✭✭

Just wanted to add another user having a sync issue with Wealthfront. Account is created and using the app-specific password. It will download, but Quicken does not keep the connection active. So each time you want to “sync” you have to go through the whole thing again and link to an existing account.

• labazzo
    labazzo Member

I have a Weathfront Cash account also. It creates the account but does not download any transactions, so the interest and any deposits are not shown. Once the account is created it does not automatically update either. Noticed under account details it says to setup online services. I went through the steps for it but does not download tranactions

• Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

The FIDIR.txt file (Financial Institutions Directory….the file that tells Quicken which FIs support Quicken with which connection methods and for which types of accounts) shows the following for Wealthfront:

• 17260 17260 17260 Wealthfront Inc. https://www.wealthfront.com/ (844) 995-8437 https://www.wealthfront.com/ ACTIVE INVESTMENT&WEB-CONNECT INVESTMENT&EXP-WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

My understanding is that investment transactions can only be downloaded by Direct Connect (DC), Express Web Connect+ (EWC+) and Web Connect (WC). However, this listing shows EWC and Investments together which is not possible. It also explains why those here who are trying to get Wealthfront set up for investment transactions downloads from within Quicken are getting unexpected results.

At this point, it seems clear that setting up Wealthfront for investment transactions downloads from within Quicken cannot be done. To start being able to download from within Quicken Wealthfront will need to contract with Intuit to set up support for the DC or EWC+ connection methods. Wealthfront owns making that decision.

Has anyone tried using WC (manually downloading transactions from the online Wealthfront account in QFX…also sometimes referred to as "Quicken" or "Web Connect"….format and then manually importing that file into Quicken)?

• IanFrost
    IanFrost Member ✭✭

Having the same issue with my Wealthfront Cash Account. Would welcome an update on this one.

• mts55104
    mts55104 Member

Also experiencing this…

Adding some thoughts and observations - some bits which may have already been stated in the prior conversation… apologies for restating the items already posted!

I have also tried to add the "Cash Savings" account in a few different ways. By letting Quicken search for the "bank" when adding the account, by adding manually and then trying to download, and by downloading the .QFX file from Wealthfront website.

It seems (and this part is based on some assumption and current understanding…) that Wealthfront is a Brokerage - so doesn't really have "savings account". It partners with other banks that actually hold the Savings account…

But, when you try to add the account by letting Quicken go find it, Quicken is trying to add it as a Savings account type (Not sure who the responsible party is for this part? I assume Quicken team (someone above referenced that too)…

Using the QFX file from the Wealthfront site does create the account as an investment account type… And it does pull in transactions. However, and this is where I might be doing things wrong (or over-complicating) next…

There was a placeholder added for a Cash Equivalent Security… Straightened that out… I wanted to track the transferred dollars as transfers from the source accounts, so I have converted the transactions that were specified as Misc Income to Xin actions… and then needed to add a buy action transaction for each incoming transfer, etc… same thing for interest income…

So, really, it seems like a lot of extra manual work to do even to use the QFX file…

So, after all that rambling, I was trying another thought, I guess instead of creating the "cash equivalent" security business, could just leave it all as cash and just do the update of the transfers from MiscInc to Xin (I would expect to have to do that part manually regardless)…

• wuwei1982
    wuwei1982 Member ✭✭

I can confirm the same problem happens to me as well. Please prioritize the fix. Thanks!

• techtician
    techtician Member

Same problem - I can add my Wealthfront savings account (or link to the existing one), but no transactions are downloaded, and the connection does not persist. Immediately after linking or adding the account, if I look at the account details, I have the "Set up Online" option for that account.

• thejavz
    thejavz Member

Same problem. I can link to my Wealthfront Cash Account by creating an app specific password and sync once. After that, the connection does not persist. Said differently, after the one sync, the Online Services tab on Quicken reverts to having forgotten the setup. It allows be to setup again "Set up Now…".

This is annoying at best. This is the only account I'm having the issue with.

• mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

same here. adding of the Wealthfront Cash account seemingly goes smoothly, but after it finishes nothing is downloaded and the online setup information is gone.

I also have a Wealthfront Brokerage and Line of Credit and have not tried to link them to Quicken (and don't plan to)

Did this once work and break? Or is this a new feature which hasn't really been tested?

Oh… but one thing did happen - it created a bogus backdated "opening balance" transaction equal to the opposite of my real balance and as a result my account balance was wrong (which is easy to fix as soon as you realize where the problem is.) I've seen this quirk with other accounts when the online setup changes.

• Paul McAlinden
    Paul McAlinden Member ✭✭

I am also having the same problem. I thought it was due to me having previously closed my WF cash account, but I deleted that version and still see the download problem. @Quicken support, it is very frustrating that you are considering this a 'single user' issue. It is clearly a systemic issue with your method of handling Wealthfront. I am disappointed that you will not take it seriously.

• Dougie
    Dougie Member ✭✭

I also have this or a similar issue. My WF savings account was created some time ago. Sorry for not recollecting exactly how. I've tried many times to set up Express Connect. Quicken appears to go through the steps and displays a way to link WF to my existing account, which I then accept, but in the end, there is no evidence in the account display of any connection. I hope somebody jumps on this with an appropriate wrench to fix it for all. Cheers!

• Boatnmaniac
    edited July 2023

As mentioned in my 4/3/2023 post above, transactions/account data with Wealthfront can only be downloaded/imported via the Web Connect method (manually downloading them in a QFX file from Wealthfront and then importing that file into Quicken).

This is also mentioned on Wealthfront's own website at (sorry, you will need to copy/paste this into your browser to see the article):

https://support.wealthfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/209353346-Can-I-export-my-Wealthfront-account-data-to-another-personal-finance-tool-like-Quicken-

Wealthfront also states in this article that not all accounts can be downloaded into Quicken via Web Connect. If you are not given the option to "Download into Quicken" from your online Wealthfront account it likely means your account cannot be downloaded into Quicken in which case you can set up your Wealthfront account and manage it manually.

This is not a Quicken issue. Wealthfront owns making the decision about whether or not to download data into Quicken and which method(s) they will support for that. If you want Wealthfront to add support for another method of download, such as Direct Connect or Express Web Connect+, you should contact Wealthfront and request them to contract with Intuit (the aggregator) to add that support. If they get enough requests, then perhaps at sometime in the future they will make the business case to initiate that contract with Intuit.

FYI: You can read more about the different methods Quicken uses to connect with financial institutions in this Support Article: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank .

This discussion has been closed.