USAA using EWC+ - Online Balance Includes Pending Transactions [Edited]

I received the pop-up directing me to transition my USAA accounts from "Direct Connect" to EWC+.

After following all of the steps all of my USAA accounts were found and linked to my existing accounts correctly and reflect the accounts are linked using EWC+.

However after my checking account updated it did not reconcile with the downloaded online balance. After further checking I see where the "Downloaded Online Balance" brought into Quicken is the "Available Balance" reported by USAA which includes any pending transactions. By using the Available Balance the account will never properly reconcile unless there are NO transactions pending in the account.

I've been downloading and updating this account for years using the Direct Connect method and never had any problems with the account automatically reconciling after every update. Now having to use EWC+ it will probably never auto reconcile because of pending transactions.

Looks like another Quicken "Upgrade" that screws up processes that have worked fine in the past.

My $60 renewal is upcoming and I'm not sure it's worth it. any more.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here in the Community, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

This issue has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Charles Lindsay
    Charles Lindsay Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Same here. [Removed-Rant/Speculation]
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem from within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

-Quicken Anja

• jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    I submitted a problem report immediately when I recognized what was causing the problem. in the meantime I've restored a previous file and reverted to using Direct Connect for these accounts and it downloads and reconciles just fine.
  • jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    UPDATE: Problem still exists. I continue to get the prompts to reauthorize my USAA accounts for EWC+. I've updated all of the accounts a few times from Direct Connect to EWC+ with same results. The online balance using DC is the cleared balance which reconciles fine, but the online balance using EWC+ is the available balance which includes all pending transactions and will never reconcile.
    I don't know if this is a Quicken or USAA problem but since Quicken is forcing customers to use the EWC+ connection method for all accounts I would hope that they would work with the financial institution to resolve the issue so that the reconcile function works properly after migrating to EWC+. I will continue restoring a backup using DC for my USAA accounts and telling Quicken to remind me later when prompted to update my connection method. I also submitted a 2nd problem report.
  • RangerDoc
    RangerDoc Member ✭✭
    Ever since I Reauthorized my USAA account login credentials I can no longer reconcile my USAA accounts. Quicken now uses the current balance on the account, which includes pending charges. So the online balance is always lower than the actual cleared balance. So when I download yesterday's transactions, I can no longer reconcile. Before the reauthorization the account balance did not include pending transactions and one could balance the account based on what cleared the previous day. Is there anyway to fix this without having to resort to using paper statements?
  • bmbags
    bmbags Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure if it is related to pending transactions, but I agree that there is something wrong with the reconcile in Quicken for my USAA accounts since the reauthorization.
  • bmbags
    bmbags Member ✭✭
    I think I figured out my issue, but I'm not sure that yours is the same. For some reason, the reconcile was off by an amount equal to an amount in the opening balance on the account. It almost seems like the reauthorization added an amount in the previously reconciled Opening Balance. I don't know if it is was previously 0 in the opening balance or not as I can't go back and see, but in my case this was data from back in early 2016.
  • RangerDoc
    RangerDoc Member ✭✭
    Definitely not the same for me. Its pending transactions, as I can clear them in the reconcile window and get to a zeroed amount, however, that marks them as reconciled and then tomorrow Quicken will see them as cleared, download them, but they are already cleared in the account. Plus many times a pending transaction is not the actual amount that eventually clears. Think of a restaurant charge with a tip. The restaurant will post the meal charge as pending, but the final cleared amount in your account will be the meal charge plus tip.

The amount I'm seeing is different every day, so not the opening balance for sure. Today, its $211.01. Yesterday the difference was $418.32.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• RangerDoc
    RangerDoc Member ✭✭
    I've submitted a Report a problem issue using the exact same title and description as from here. Thanks.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

There is another discussion going on this same topic:

Also, it appears Bank of America is having the same issue. Both USAA and BofA are now using EWC+. Seems to be the common denominator.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RangerDoc
    RangerDoc Member ✭✭
    After doing a search for "USAA" I didn't find this thread. So I created another thread for the exact same reason. I too have experienced this and I need a solution.
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here in the Community, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

This issue has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.

-Quicken Anja

• HomerHector
    HomerHector Member ✭✭
    When the USAA Savings Bank web connect was updated, the update changed my account from a credit card account to a banking account. This resulted in the balance been reduced when a charge appeared and increased when a payment appeared. USAA has the account as a credit card account when downloading so I have to assume the somehow Quicken changed it to a banking account. How do I reverse this change?
  • jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    My problem only appears in my checking account. It's because USAA shows an "Available Balance" which reflects any pending transaction. This balance is different than the actual "Cleared Balance" of all of the downloaded transaction. Using the old Direct Connect method the online balance brought into Quicken was the cleared balance not the available balance. Thus, account will never reconcile if there are any pending transactions on the account when using EWC+.
  • HomerHector
    HomerHector Member ✭✭
    I recreated the account and everything worked except I lost 3 decades of data. Can't have everything.
  • LongTimeRK
    LongTimeRK Member ✭✭
    Two of in the family with Quicken and USAA are also having the same issue of USAA accounts not reconciling after reauthorizing the accounts for the interface change. This extremely frustrating and disappointing.
  • rapptim
    rapptim Member ✭✭
    Immediately after enabling EWC+ for USAA, accounts which were previously balanced now will not balance at all.
  • Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same balance account issue with USAA Checking. I'm keeping a running balance of the balance adjustments I've created to balance the account but am now thinking I'll delete those and wait for a fix. Thoughts?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

You should never do balance adjustments. Instead for this case where the online balance is wrong, you should either wait for the problems to be fixed, or better yet reconcile the correct balance. As in stop reconciling to the downloaded online balance and reconcile to the “statement balance”, which you hand enter. Note it doesn't have to be an actual statement balance it can be a date/balance that you get on USSA's website.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I deleted the balance adjustments.
  • Andrea44
    Andrea44 Member ✭✭
    Yes this is super frustrating. Issue still persists since having to reauthorize with USAA. Pending transactions do not download, yet the balance for reconciliation includes the pending transactions. I also noticed transactions within USAA, for example a payment to a USAA loan from a USAA checking account, do not download at all.
  • ChrisHolzapfel
    ChrisHolzapfel Member ✭✭✭
    I'm just here to say "me too", having this issue after switching to the new connection method. What could possibly be taking so long to fix this??
  • wg2656
    wg2656 Member

ditto on all the above————-USAA and Quicken have done it again.

• artleach
    artleach Member ✭✭

Why not discontinue Quicken's requirement to use EWC+ until it's been fully tested and found to be functional? In the meantime, encourage all USAA users to return to Direct Connect. If Quicken continues to encourage folks to use EWC+, I'll never know when it's been repaired.

• jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    I totally agree. I restored a previous backup using Direct Connect and when Quicken prompts me to reauthorize my USAA accounts for EWC+, I just click on "REMIND ME NEXT TIME". Everything downloads and reconciles just fine.
  • Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    Since Quicken has not fixed the issue with USAA Checking, this morning I restored a backup from 3/1/2023 before EWC, and uses Direct Connect to download from USAA to Quicken. After clicking on "remind me later" the download and reconciliation worked like a charm.
    Quicken, it is your time to step up & fix this! .
  • rapptim
    rapptim Member ✭✭
    In a related thread (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7930770/new-3-3-23-pending-transactions-included-in-online-balance-w-express-web-connect#latest) this issue was just listed as 'resolved'. Does anyone have any additional information on this since I still have incorrect reconciliation balances and now completed transactions are no longer downloading at all. Thx
  • jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    Issue has NOT been resolved. I just reauthorized all of my USAA accounts for EWC+ and after Quicken updated the accounts the "Online Balance" showing up in my checking account is still reflecting my USAA "Available Balance" that shows on the USAA app which includes all pending debits and credits. So accounts will not reconcile correctly.
  • jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    I restored a backup that uses Direct Connect and "Online Balance" in checking account is totally different than that shown using EWC+.
This discussion has been closed.