USAA Reauthorize error "error": "invalid_request", "error_description": "Validation error"

Quicken is forcing me to reauthorize my USAA connection which has been working great for a year. Now, when I click on the link within Quicken to reauthorize, it pops a Chrome browser window, which provides in plain text
{
"error": "invalid_request",
"error_description": "Validation error"
}

USAA Tech Support point the finger back at Quicken - saying the request they are sending is malformed. I have seen this referenced on other Forum posts but no fix from Intuit. From looking at the Community blog, it appears that the request from Quicken to the USAA API is malformed, and thus errors out. If I put in a properly formatted request it will take me to the USAA auth screens - but since the token I am using is not generated by Quicken, it doesn't loop back and update my authorization within Quicken.

The URL Quicken is calling is:
https://api.usaa.com/auth/oauth/authorize?scope=usaa.profile.member.read+usaa.bank.aggregation.read&response_type=code&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fpartnerauth.platform.intuit.com%2Fexternal_partner%2Fusaa%2Fcallback&client_id=13b3cf5a-ffb9-4f9e-bdfd-5c255155538d&code_challenge=INTUIT_challenge&code_challenge_method=plain&state=awb.f493489e-9990-43db-b32f-99c36ea2542a

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken is forcing me to reauthorize my USAA connection which has been working great for a year. Now, when I click on the link within Quicken to reauthorize, it pops a Chrome browser window, which provides in plain text
    {
    }

USAA Tech Support point the finger back at Quicken - saying the request they are sending is malformed. I have seen this referenced on other Forum posts but no fix from Intuit. From looking at the Community blog, it appears that the request from Quicken to the USAA API is malformed, and thus errors out. If I put in a properly formatted request it will take me to the USAA auth screens - but since the token I am using is not generated by Quicken, it doesn't loop back and update my authorization within Quicken.

The URL Quicken is calling is:
    https://api.usaa.com/auth/oauth/authorize?scope=usaa.profile.member.read+usaa.bank.aggregation.read&response_type=code&redirect_uri=https://partnerauth.platform.intuit.com/external_partner/usaa/callback&client_id=13b3cf5a-ffb9-4f9e-bdfd-5c255155538d&code_challenge=INTUIT_challenge&code_challenge_method=plain&state=awb.f493489e-9990-43db-b32f-99c36ea2542a
    Hello @Nomadprime,            

We are sorry about this issue with online banking services, and these 'invalid request' messages. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, where is your current active data file located? You can check this by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that your data file is located on the computer and not an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic behavior and even data damage.

Also, are you currently making use of any antivirus software, pop-up blockers, or Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)? If so, note that it may be necessary to remove these, at least temporarily, in order to troubleshoot this issue further. 

Lastly, how many accounts are you operating with this financial institution?

I look forward to your answers, and I hope to provide additional assistance, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • sfkatwa
    sfkatwa Member ✭✭
    I'm seeing the same problem. There's nothing unusual about my computer setup, except that it's a Mac.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @sfkatwa,

Thank you for visiting the Community.

Please be aware that you posted your comment under a Quicken for Windows post. If you are using Quicken for Mac, we ask that you please start new post under the proper Quicken for Mac category and provide as many details as possible about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• sfkatwa
    sfkatwa Member ✭✭
    The fact that it's the same problem makes me think it isn't a Windows v. Mac thing. It's a Quicken or USAA thing. I'll pursue this with USAA.
  • kb4bkv
    kb4bkv Member
    I'm seeing the same problem on my Windows 10 installation of Quicken. When I switched my default browser from Google Chrome to Microsoft Edge, it worked!
  • sfkatwa
    sfkatwa Member ✭✭
    I also had to change my default browser away from Chrome (to Safari). I'll report this to the Chrome team.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2023

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.
    (CTP-6050)

-Quicken Anja

• blitzdes
    blitzdes Member
    I have the same issue with USAA, probably related to Chrome--but reading some of the other reports about linking to wrong accounts and downloading myriad old/incorrect transactions into the wrong accounts, I am hesitant to proceed.
  • Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin

Hi All, I am sorry for the trouble caused. Can you please let me know what extensions or pop-up blockers you have installed? Thanks!

-Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @Nomadprime, @sfkatwa, @kb4bkv, and @blitzdes,

I have sent you a direct message, please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• blitzdes
    blitzdes Member

I replied. My larger concern is the incorrect data downloads that are being reported.

• DeliriuM
    DeliriuM Member

I had the same issue. The only way around it was to switch to Edge as my default browser to complete the request. Something about the link that Quicken is sending to Chrome is causing this to throw up with the reported error in the OP.

• KCny
    KCny Member

@DeliriuM thanks for the tip! I just temporarily changed my default browser from Chrome to Edge and the process worked seamlessly (after MONTHS of getting the same "invalid request" error trying to connect in Chrome to USAA from Quicken to reauthorize downloads). Why can't Quicken send an email with this simple tip?

• don77
    don77 Member ✭✭
    Same issue as other users cited. Default browser was Firefox. Switched to Chrome and that failed. Switched to Edge, and that worked!

Looks like an update to Quicken has broken compatibility with Firefox and Chrome.

Currently using Quicken R48.15 (Build 27.1.48.15)
  • RoseAth2o
    RoseAth2o Member

My USAA accounts are no longer downloading. I get a messsage that I need to reauthorize but when I try, I get this error: {

}

I've tried using Microsoft Edge browser and I get the same error. I'm at a loss but this software is useless to me if I can't download my USAA accounts (my primary bank).

This discussion has been closed.