Why is Quicken asking for my password every time I start it?

Options

Answers

• tulsaoufan
    tulsaoufan Member ✭✭
    Options

I keep getting "Unable to send to Quicken" when I try to report the problem, this problem persists

• tulsaoufan
    tulsaoufan Member ✭✭
    Options

Problem still happening. Please fix

• RWMarkhome
    RWMarkhome Member
    Options

Same problem here. On quicken Premier; an old-fashioned desktop, no cloud data storage' I get a PW request at every sign-on. It is supremely annoying.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Options

Hi All, This issue generally happens when your system security setting doesn’t allow to store token in the local folder path under C:\user\… Please make sure that you are the admin for the account you are logged into, rather than guest user account.

Please follow these steps to see if this resolves the issue.

1. Launch Quicken by Right clicking on Quicken icon on desktop > choose “Run as Administrator”.
    2. When prompted, enter your credentials.
    3. Then close Quicken and relaunch normally and see if Quicken asks for credentials again.
    4. If Quicken does not ask for your credentials, then please ensure user account for your Windows machine has Administrator privileges.
    5. If not, then please make sure you are logged in as an admin and then try to launch Quicken and then enter your credentials.
    6. Please ensure that you also have “Full control” under C:\user\[user name] folder.
      1. You can typically find this under This PC> Local Disc (C:)> Users. Select the Security Tab to see if you are an administrator and that Full Control is selected.

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• DanGilbertTX
    DanGilbertTX Member ✭✭
    Options

This answer is completely and utterly wrong. You have not read the thread and are giving a generic answer. The facts are that this started for people who had been using Quicken with no issues prior to an update that broke this. Rights would not have changed. Not only this, but your assumption is that people store their Quicken data in their Documents folder or even on their C:\ drive.

Furthermore, Quicken does not have a Run as Administrator option. It actually tells you that when you launch it as Administrator.

This is still an issue and was broken by a previous update. Just like many other things (reminders changing from auto enter to manual) were broken in recent updates.

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

These statements couldn't be more wrong for this topic and in general don't apply to the Quicken program which doesn't support the "Run As Administrator" security policy.

----Quicken User since 1998 ----

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@Quicken Janean

On July 5 I posted that perhaps resetting and resyncing my Quicken Cloud data had cleared this problem for me.

Unfortunately it turns out this was not the case. Today, for the first time since July 5, I was prompted to enter my password.

• africabushpilot
    africabushpilot Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

This has been happening to me as well. Probably a couple of weeks now.

• HarpHauler
    HarpHauler Member ✭✭
    Options

Has anyone received the following email from Quicken regarding this issue? While I don't believe it to be a scam, I am hesitant to again go through every previously proposed fix, reboot, reboot again perhaps, only to have the issue rare its ugly head the next day.

"Dear Quicken User,

I am Kuldeep and I work with Quicken Product Development team. We have been informed that you’re encountering the issue of frequent sign in prompt with Quicken upon launch.

We have not observed this issue internally before or after R50 release hence I want to work with you to debug this and identify the root cause. If you’re available to meet, then kindly share your availability schedule so I can send you meeting invite.
    Note: Please share the time slot starting from 20:30 to 8:30 AM PST, Monday-Friday.

Thanks!
    -- 
    Regards,
    Kuldeep

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

yes and I just had a zoom call with Kuldeep. It appeared to be legitimate. We spent some time troubleshooting this Quicken issue. He said he's going to reach out to other Users as well.

• Quicken Janean
    Options

Hi @HarpHauler, This is a legitimate email from one of our team members. Please respond when you get the chance. Thanks!

Quicken Janean

• HarpHauler
    HarpHauler Member ✭✭
    Options

Has anyone received the following email from Quicken regarding this issue? While I realize it's most likely not a scam, I'm reluctant to respond because we all know they're going to have me do all the previously posted "fixes", reboot, then reboot again, etc. I just don't have it in me to go through all of that again and maybe again, only to have the problem rear its ugly head the next day.

"Dear Quicken User,

I am Kuldeep and I work with Quicken Product Development team. We have been informed that you’re encountering the issue of frequent sign in prompt with Quicken upon launch.

We have not observed this issue internally before or after R50 release hence I want to work with you to debug this and identify the root cause. If you’re available to meet, then kindly share your availability schedule so I can send you meeting invite.

Note: Please share the time slot starting from 20:30 to 8:30 AM PST, Monday-Friday.

Thanks!

-- 

Regards,,"

• Quicken Janean
    Options

Hi @HarpHauler , Kuldeep is one of our developers and apart of Quicken. This email is legitimate and he is emailing users in this thread for a debugging session. This will better help the product development team determine what is causing this issue. Please feel free to respond when best convenient for you. Thank you.

Quicken Janean

• bcinu
    bcinu Member
    Options

Just adding on to the thread. I'm run Quicken subscription Starte Edition R47.15 B27.1.47.15. Same issue. Quicken started prompting me to login in every few times - no real pattern that I've noticed. It does also seem to forget which Quicken file I had open. Very annoying.

• John 444
    John 444 Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same issue since an update within the past 60 days, but only happens on my Windows 10 Pro 64 bit machine. The older machine did not seem to be afflicted with this issue. The issue occurs each day the first time you open Quicken, but does not reoccur for subsequent launches the same day.

• John Risso
    John Risso Member ✭✭
    Options

Has there been any fix yet for the forced login to quicken.com. This is getting real old?

• JB_105
    JB_105 Member ✭✭
    Options

Happening to me now as well since updating to R51.10 but randomly and only when I do a one step update.

• BarbS
    BarbS Member ✭✭
    Options

I hope I"m not saying this prematurely, but it appears to be fixed. I shut my laptop down on Friday 7/21 to go away for a long weekend. Since I restarted it on 7/25, I have not been asked to enter my password when starting Quicken. As far as I know, the only thing that happened was the shutdown and restart.

• urherken
    urherken Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue, running R51.10. Request for login almost every time I do a sync.

This has happened before, so maybe the devs should take a look what they did wrong the last time? :-)

• urherken
    urherken Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This now happens during almost every one-step update, in the middle of the update. I even tried the validate and repair file tip from the last time this happened. (No, it didn't make a difference).

The way it happens makes me think it has something to do with a slow server response (I have a pretty slow connection). I get the feeling that Quicken attempts to call home, gets a time out, and then asks for a new login. But it's just a hunch.

Someone please fix this. It's very annoying.

• MBrown1003
    MBrown1003 Member
    Options

Still happening for me.

Does this mean we MUST have an internet connection to use Quicken?

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This problem is still around. I just got prompted to login.

FYI I recently sent info to Kuldeep as he requested.

• DanGilbertTX
    DanGilbertTX Member ✭✭
    Options

As an update on this issue, I was able to resolve it. All I had to do was build a new computer, install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it, install Quicken from scratch, and then open my saved QDF file from my NAS. EASY!

Ok, so not everyone wants to do a fresh install of Windows and Quicken. However, this did prove to me that the issue is NOT with the data file. It is something with the Quicken installation itself. That does lead me to believe that a full uninstall of Quicken and cleaning all files and registry entries before rebooting and reinstalling Quicken should fix this issue for most people. It's another data point.

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I haven't seen the login prompt since July 20.

I think there was one Quicken update pushed out since then but there's no indication that it was for this issue.

I also have been working with Kuldeep from Quicken by sending him information and I haven't made any OS changes to my PC except for the usual Windows updates.

• Jayacol
    Jayacol Member ✭✭
    Options

has anyone found a fix for frequent requests to enter your Quicken online account password when starting quicken. Before I used to get them infrequently maybe every couple of month or so. Now its almost a daily request. using Version R51.12 Build 27.151.12

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I still haven't seen the login prompt since July 20 and I haven't done anything special to keep it away. I get the usual Windows 10 updates, and anything Quicken pushes out.

Quicken Premier, version: R51.12 build: 27.1.51.12.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

• BarbS
    BarbS Member ✭✭
    Options

Same for me as Philip107.

• 932Scooter419
    932Scooter419 Member ✭✭
    Options

It comes and goes. Using Quicken R51.12 build 27.1.51.12 on Windows 10, 64-bit, and still happening for me; it just prompted me for my password again today, and I went through the rigmarole of signing out and signing back in just a few days ago. Every time I do this Quicken "finds" a bunch of previously-downloaded transactions, in some cases, years ago, and these have to be deleted manually one-by-one.

Same routine with previous releases… I've signed out and signed back in again after prior updates, looks like at least one more time.

Getting old, forrils. I am NOT going through the hassle of reinstalling both the operating system and Quicken because of this problem.

• geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue. Any progress?

• 932Scooter419
    932Scooter419 Member ✭✭
    Options

It comes and goes without any discernable pattern that I can recognize.