Why is Quicken asking for my password every time I start it?

Options

Answers

• jdhascup
    jdhascup Member ✭✭
    Options

I was gone for 3 weeks. Prior no issues. Updated on return and this started this issue for me. I've tried everything. Very frustrating.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is your active Quicken data file stored in a OneDrive folder? If so, have you tried pausing OneDrive before starting Quicken

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Still getting this but something has changed. I used to get a popup with my Quicken ID filled in and a blank slot to enter my password. Now I get the popup but all it has is my ID filled in and no slot for the password. I click the button labeled CONTINUE and then I get a second popup to enter my password. No recent update so they must have done something on Quicken's end.

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@cdennett I too noticed this behaviour change, started yesterday (November 10) believe.

• jdhascup
    jdhascup Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I've stopped OneDrive and still get the login. Also, the file is marked to always be local on this computer. Running Classic H&B. I would not mind Quicken checking monthly that I have the subscription but every time I open and also anytime I do a bank sync or stock price update is too much.

Also, Quicken expecting us to stop OneDrive every time means they have not figured out the appropriate method to store that this is a valid subscription of software. I do not have any other issues with other software that I have sync'd to OneDrive.

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

@jdhascup I think looking to OneDrive is a red herring. My Quicken file is local (i.e. not in OneDrive) and I still get regularly prompted.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'll repeat what I posted above in case some of you missed it. There is a support article on this topic which includes a suggested remedy.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I and others have done this, More than once. It does not fix the issue. In fact when I did it it messed up all my accounts for the one step update, I had to deactivate all of them and reactivate them.

• cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Something happened. It has stopped asking for my name and password. This was before the latest patch installed so it was not the patch that did it.

• Pokemon
    Pokemon Member ✭✭
    Options

OK everyone, perhaps this is a "feature" they've added on purpose? That would be totally stupid, of course there's no reason for it, but yet here we are. Why should I need to login online when accessing my own local files? Nevertheless, the track record of Quicken to date with stuff like this only suggests they've done this on purpose. Ahere's another annoying aspect to to it, which is that there's no graceful way to exit the login screen once it opens up if you don't want to follow through with 2-factor authentication right at that moment. Can't close the window, can't exit Quicken. I either have to terminate it using the task manager or force it to quit some other way. That can't be good for my databases, which the program has already corrupted enough as it is. Yet here we are. I'm looking for someone to build a better software program for me. someone, please….

• BTD
    BTD Member
    Options

@cdennett, don't worry. That "something" won't last long. A few days in my case.

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For some unknown reason the Quicken ID login popup stopped appearing for me back in August. Everything seemed normal again. But, being stupid I decided to try that Cntrl-Validate and Repair function. Well, that caused all my online accounts to stop and I had to relink them. Also, now the Quicken ID login popup is back for the last week. So, that routine mucked it up. I believe Quicken has tried to implement a method to re-cache the Quicken ID after so much time and it isn't playing nicely with the Windows OS. That makes me wonder if this is happening on a MAC as well?

----Quicken User since 1998 ----

• crgolden
    crgolden Member
    Options

This is happening for me also. Started last week. Every time I restart Quicken, I now have to re-enter my Quicken account password in addition to my vault password - why? Every few days I also have to re-enter my Quicken account id, get a text, and enter my verification code as well - is this really necessary? Quite a hassle…

• Johnny Row
    Johnny Row Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm sure not going to trust a solution that tells me to repair a file, then log in as a new user as part of a standard routine. If that is something they expect everyone to be doing a few times year, they got no business increasing their prices so much like they've just done.

• randyherbig
    randyherbig Member ✭✭
    Options

I too am having the issue where every time i want to update stock prices on my portfolio I am asked to log into quicken which i never had to do in the past what have they done and why has it not been fixed yet. This is annoying to say the least. Recommendations on a replacement for this product?

• cmumathwhiz
    cmumathwhiz Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Really wish Quicken would give us updates on this. I pay a yearly fee, I'd a product that works like it is supposed to.

Another interesting data point. If I force close Quicken when it is prompting me to log in (which is now a two step process, first page enter ID, then the next page enter password) and then reopen Quicken, it doesn't always prompt me. So it clearly knows it has a subscription and is logged in. I wonder if when you do the one step update, it checks the Quicken server to make sure you've paid your yearly fee and can continue, and sometimes that check times out or fails for some unknown reason and it defaults to prompt to log in. If I get around to it, I might start a network trace to see exactly what is going on to see if I can tell Quicken exactly what the problem is in hopes that they might actually finally fix it. Annoying that we have to keep reporting this and trying all kinds of troubleshooting steps, since we get no help from them.

• ProfQuill
    ProfQuill Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Making a comment, I along with many others had been seeing this problem. However for at least the last several weeks it has not recurred. Other than accepting various updates from Quicken, I haven't done anything like validating my file or what. I have other problems with One Step Update but that's not relevant to this particular issue.

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I am still being prompted to login once or twice a week. I'm running the most recent Canadian Windows edition.

(I too wish Quicken would provide a community update on this issue.)

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine or @Quicken Anja

What is the status of this issue? Is anyone in Development actively looking into it? It's been months since I sent the requested logs and data to the support team, and I've not received an update nor a request for additional data.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Options

Hi All, I reached out for another update. When I receive more details, I will post here. Thanks for your patience. I am sorry this is still ongoing.

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JB_105
    JB_105 Member ✭✭
    Options

Just happened to me again when trying to do a one step update. It has been awhile since it happened last.

• kal8898
    kal8898 Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been having this issue for months as well and it's quite ridiculous that a fix has not been completed to this problem yet. I did see that Quicken is increasing their price though!!! Please advise on timeline of when this issue will be corrected. Thanks!

• DanGilbertTX
    DanGilbertTX Member ✭✭
    Options

I cancelled my subscription this week. I have had 2 issues that have not been resolved in at least 9+ months. This sign-in issue and PayPal credit card/credit accounts not syncing. It seems to me at this point that the Quicken team has given up on actually fixing any issues and is just trying to milk customers with incremental price increases. There was been no "feature" added in the past 2 years that was amazing and there are multiple unresolved issues that have been outstanding for 1+ year.

• jgackson
    jgackson Member ✭✭
    Options

I've now started having this problem. Get the prompt at least once a day, usually more. Gonna try a mondo reinstall at some point, I guess.

• HoneyBadger
    HoneyBadger Member
    Options

The owner of quicken does not care about your problems with their product. If you think they will fix this problem, or any of the other problems that have been ongoing since 2021 in these forums, you are delusional. Quicken has been passed around from one private equity firm to another since 2016, with the latest in 2021. When that happens to a company, the goal is to extract as much money from it with minimal investment. So the only outcome with this issue is for them to keep telling you that it is being worked on while having you pay for another subscription. Or you can find an alternative product. I for one will be doing the latter.

• jgackson
    jgackson Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, now it's months later, and this problem continues—except, weirdly, it happens on one of the two computers I use to access my file, but not on the other. The two computers both have clean installs of Quicken, and they're using the same file (which is synced via Dropbox). My main computer asks for the Quicken pw and then the vault pw each time I open it and do an OSU; the other computer occasionally asks for the Quicken pw, but typically just asks for the vault pw when I to OSU (and then only if I've closed the program).

• cmumathwhiz
    cmumathwhiz Member ✭✭✭
    Options

And while others still have this problem, it has gone away for me. It certainly is a strange problem - wish they could get it fixed for everyone.

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I haven't seen it in quite a few months. I didn't do anything intentional to stop it. It went away on its own.

----Quicken User since 1998 ----

• cjp451
    cjp451 Member
    Options

I am also having this problem. It started several weeks ago and I am now being asked to sign in about every other time I launch Quicken. This is VERY ANNOYING and I would like to see it fixed.

• Gary Jay
    Gary Jay Member ✭✭
    Options

I am also having this problem. It started about 3 weeks ago at the beginning of Feb 2024. I am now being asked to sign in about every other time I launch Quicken. This is VERY ANNOYING and it needs to be fixed. Quicken went from a ongoing license to a paid subscription with the promise of better support. We now pay more annually, don't get any major features added, and broken items either don't get fixed or takes forever. Not cool!