Why is Quicken asking for my password every time I start it?

Options

Answers

• RAS4X5
    RAS4X5 Member
    Options

This is getting ridiculous. Cannot access QUICKEN any longer because continuously asking for login. What is happening. Started this week. Have never seen this before. Please QUICKEN, fix it.

• geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Still happens everytime I startup for me. Any new fix available?

• cmumathwhiz
    cmumathwhiz Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Still happening for me as well. Twice today. Annoying to open Quicken, log in with Quicken Password, Log in with password vault password, and then typically 1-2 of my accounts need TFA. Lots of logging in going on.

• JB_105
    JB_105 Member ✭✭
    Options

Happened to me just now. It had been awhile so mistakenly thought maybe it had been fixed. Only happens when I initiate one step update.

• bcsteves
    bcsteves Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Happens to me every time I start up Quicken.

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This problem is still around. I got prompted to login today.

• cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It's happening to me when I do a One Step Update after starting Quicken.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi Everybody, I have asked for another update and I am so sorry that this has still been going on. Please stay tuned as I will message here when I receive a response. Thanks!

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• carbuff
    carbuff Member ✭✭
    Options

Add me to the list of people having this same (very annoying) problem…

• rspincus
    rspincus Member ✭✭
    Options

It's also happening to me when I do a One Step Update after starting Quicken. This has been going on for about a week or two.

• dpbouchard
    dpbouchard Member ✭✭
    Options

I am now seeing the quicken web login now every time I start my desktop program, and I'm sick and tired of it. I have absolutely no desire to have my financial data on anyone's cloud and all I want to be able to do is to use my properly licensed and paid-for version of Quicken (Classic) on my PC without having to login to the web everytime! This is so damn frustrating and really makes me wish there was another competitor out there with a similar product.

Attention Quicken Product Management: PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYONE WANTS THEIR FINANCIAL DATA ON THE CLOUD!!!!!

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Those of you who still get the frequent request to log in to your Quicken ID …

By any chance, are you using a VPN?
    Or are you frequently accessing the Internet using a different WiFi service, e.g., from a different coffee shop every day?

VPN users should try to configure the VPN to always use the same IP address and see if that helps …

Note: This is a shot fired into the dark. I'm hoping to hear something back, to be able to decide if this is good advice or not …

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Options

Hi All, This is still being looked into. I am sorry for the delay.

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    Options

"By any chance, are you using a VPN?"

No VPN. No coffee shops. Regular old home internet connections.

• cmumathwhiz
    cmumathwhiz Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just like Dave - no VPNs here - always access from my home, same internet connection, same IP address.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Dave Ings and @cmumathwhiz ,
    in that case there must be something else which prevents Quicken on your desktop/laptop from reaching the Quicken server.

If you are getting "Oops, something went wrong" or "Check Internet Connection" …

1. To make sure that Quicken is allowed to update and save its configuration files please check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
      If it is, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in
    2. Have you recently enabled a VPN?
      If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off, reboot with VPN disabled and see if that helps.
    3. Is there a corporate or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    4. If you're running Quicken and Windows under a VM, ensure that the VM does not block any incoming or outgoing IP ports.
    5. Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the Internet?
      Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the program to work.
      For example, in McAfee Firewall, one user states "By editing the Quicken Firewall entry Selecting Incoming and Outgoing, and changing it from "Default" to "Open to all devices" it now works without having to turn off the entire firewall!"
      See Check your firewall settings and ensure the following three entries are present:
      If necessary, contact the Antivirus / Firewall vendor's Support Center for assistance.
    6. In Windows 11 or older Windows systems go to Windows Control Panel and select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)
      Click the Advanced tab.
      Scroll down the list to "Use TLS 1.x" and click to put checkmarks on all available choices even though some of them are no longer supported "Use TLS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 (if available)"
      Turn off "Use SSL 3.0"
      Click Apply. Reboot.
    7. If all else fails: Try rebooting your network router. When done reboot your PC
    8. Please let us know which of the above solved your problem.

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @UKR thanks for your suggestions, but the intermittent nature of the symptoms I'm experiencing do not point towards a connectivity problem. I previously sent Quicken support the system files and logs they requested and they are looking into it.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You're welcome. Please keep us posted if you hear from support.

• BarbS
    BarbS Member ✭✭
    Options

I have not had it ask for my password since the end of July. I did nothing to fix the problem. Just as a point of information, I only use the manual features of Quicken Classic Deluxe (Windows 11). I just keep track of my accounts with Quicken, and do not pay them or reconcile them with Quicken.

• Jeff W
    Jeff W Member ✭✭
    Options

Still an issue for me. Currently on an older, Win10 laptop. My other Win11 desktop having same issue.

I used to see this very infrequently, after clearing my cache or other activity. (Never was sure exactly why.) Now happening every time I log in. Like others, very frustrated with 3 different log in/password process.

• James Gruber
    James Gruber Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue frustrating

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a Support page for this topic which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread unless I missed it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

That support article appears to be from 2022 and so is unlikely to be of help for this incarnation of the issue, which arose about 3 months ago following an update. Also, Quicken Support did not mention the article to me when I recently sent them diagnostic data at their request.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

So you're going to dismiss the article without trying its suggestions? Did you notice the secret way to fix the authentication block?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am unsure what you are referring to you say “secret way”. But if you mean the “If this issue persists” logout / login suggestion in that support article, Quicken Support made that same suggestion here on June 17. Several of us tried it and reported that it did not resolve the issue, which led to further investigation and data collection by Quicken Support.

As of today, it appears that the issue remains unresolved without a known workaround.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

By "secret way", I meant the CTRL-Validate trick to enable the "Authentication block will be fixed" feature. QWin is overly fond of hiding features behind control and shift keys.

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I’ll give that a try next time I’m near my Quicken. Thanks for the suggestion.

• cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I've had the same problem for a while. I tried the super validate (ctrl-validate) then and I just tried it again. It does not fix the issue. It also causes all my EWC and EWC+ accounts to break. I had to deactivate each one and reactivate each one. Not fun!

• Opwernby
    Opwernby Member
    Options

Same problem for me. I reported it. Let's see what happens.

• Chuckeeta
    Chuckeeta Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    Options

Was driving me nuts. I tried all the 'fixes' and never helped. I then downloaded an older patch version from last May and installed it and took care of it. This is the second time this has happened when the program auto updates. Not going to let it anymore.