CC-503 (Password Error) on all Express Web Connect (EWC) Accounts

Options

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just now saw this thread. I'm not seeing the CC-800/CC-50X error codes issue described above so I can't comment much on that at this time.

But the mismatch issue is something I first started seeing back in April-May during EWC+ transition testing for US Bank that I was doing with the Development Team. During screen shares this issue was observed and the Quicken Development Team people I was working with saw it. During a brief discussion where we talked about options for how to deal with this so we could proceed with the testing I happened to click on the shaded fields and was able to either the edit the field or it simply self-corrected.

Since then I have not experienced this in my main data files but I have seen it happen once in a while in some of my test files. When the issue has occurred the online services and the accounts themselves get mixed up and are often not fixable. But catch the issues when they occur during the Add Account/Setup Now the issue is often fixable…or at least one can cancel the process and start it over, again, which usually will produce different results (sometimes correct, sometimes not correct).

Following is a snapshot of one of those issues which I've added commentary to. I've since posted this several times in Community when users were posting about getting this issue.

I'm not sure this is related to what @QWinUser posted above or if it is just coincidence but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Curious if this is related to a connection issue, I am seeing with EWC accounts in a CC-error state.

Did the issue arise after attempting to Reset an account in a CC-error condition? I find when that is done now, it blows away the existing connection type information and leaves it in a corrupted state. Account List shows the account Not Connected, but in Online Center the account is listed. Only connected accounts should be listed in Online Center. Trying to reactivate results in an Oops Window.

Since your issue appears to be related to an internal datafile table that Validate does not clear up, one approach might be to try and delete all the data in that table and start fresh. The one process that seems closest to doing this is the Flie Copy using Template option. That purportedly preserves all transactions and accounts but deletes all connection information and creates a new cloud file associated with the new data file.

If you haven't tried the Copy Template you might try it. It should not prevent using the bad file for troubleshooting by Quicken if they are interested because they are supposedly 2 distinct datafiles after the Copy Template.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@markus1957 - Thank you for your response. Yes I attempted to do a Reset along with Disconnect and Reconnect to try to fix the CC-800 errors. I did the reset first and that is when I got the first CC-503 errors. Then I did the disconnect and reconnect and I couldn't get back in.

I also have tried a copy file. The data file copy still produces the CC-503 error when I try to reconnect any of the accounts with EWC.

Then I tried to restore a backup but when I tried to reconnect to online services, the CC-800 error came back. Then I when I got the CC-800 error corrected, the CC-503 error came back. It was a vicious circle.

One other thing I remember doing right before these issues started is turning on the cloud sync to look at the settings and try things out. I usually have never left the sync on more than a few minutes, but before these issues started I had left the Cloud Sync on for more than a day. It may be just coincidence.

One interesting thing is that when I try to blank out one of the FI on the Online Services tab before I reconnect, I discovered that no matter what I do, the FI name keeps coming back when I reopen the tab.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Boatnmaniac - the mismatch for the EWC+ accounts aren't so bad because you can fix them when finalizing the connection to your account on Quicken. Even so, I think the mismatch is easy to miss and the account be linked to the wrong account on Quicken.

For EWC accounts, you get a CC-503 error so you can't even get to the point of having an opportunity to fix the mismatched link.

At this point I am still waiting for the programmer working on this issue to get back to me. I am hoping they will find a solution for this FI mismatch.

• markus1957
    edited August 2023
    Options

So, I'm assuming at this point in Account List, none of your problem FIs show they are connected (They show No, Activate downloads or Not Available). Try editing each problem account by deleting the text in the Financial Institution box of Account Details.

Then go to Online Center to see if they still show up there. If not the next step might work. In Online Center, hover over the "C" in Contact Info, hold the Ctrl + F3 keys then click the "C". it will bring up a window titled FI Action Required. Delete the problem FIs that are in the list.

If it refuses to delete, you are in the weird error state. It might be helpful to point this out to Quicken Support. Only connected accounts should show up in Online Center. Accounts that show Not Connected in Account List should not be shown in Online Center.

If you are able to delete the problem FIs in the list, close Quicken and reopen. Then try to reconnect using Tools>Add Account and Link to your existing accounts.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In the copy file, I did check the connections for all of the accounts. None of them are connected and none of them show up in the online Center. But, if I go into the General tab for any of the accounts (DC, WC, EWC, or EWC+) and delete out the FI Name and Account Number, the FI Name keeps reappearing when I reopen the tab. If I try to type over the FI Name with anything else, the original FI Name keeps reappearing.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

In my "real" or production data file, the FI Name and Account number blank out without issue. So I am not really sure why the copy file won't allow me to blank out FI Names.

But again, it makes no difference because in either my production, or copy file, I still get the CC-503 error on all EWC accounts.

In the meantime, I have established WC connections for 4 out of the 5 accounts. The only one I don't have any connection for is Best Buy because they only offer EWC.

• markus1957
    edited August 2023
    Options

Are you able to open the hidden FI Action Required window in Online Center? If the problem FIs are listed and you can delete them, it might work.

After deleting run an OSU with only the accounts that are still connected and behaving as expected before reconnecting the problem accounts.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just deleted all the FIs and the FI Name on the General tabs still will not delete.

BTW, I found an easier way to get to that menu so you don't need to contort your fingers (Ctrl-Shift-F3-Contact Info)

Just do a "Cntrl-Shift-Options" and it will bring up a troubleshooting menu.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@markus1957 - I just made another copy of my production file and this time the FIs were all blank on the file. I went ahead and tried to add one of my EWC accounts and still got a CC-503 error. There must be an internal table or file that needs to be cleared or straighted out.

• markus1957
    Answer ✓
    Options

A user you helped last month resolved the CC-503 by changing their password at the FI and nuking the Quicken password vault. You could try it.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Markus, I had forgotten about that. I think I tried that early on, but I think I should try it again. This time I will try it on the copy file.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ok I went through the whole process -

• Deleted the Password Vault and create a new empty one.
    • Changed my password at the FI
    • Went to set up online services, and then
    • Got the CC-503 error again.

But here's the weird part - I checked the General tab and the FI name and account number where there and correct. I think in the past if a wrong password was entered, the FI Name and Account Number wouldn't have been filled in.

This is on a new file without any prior connections. There must be something else going on internally in the program that we don't have access to.

• markus1957
    Options

Crazy! Have you ever signed out of your Quicken ID and signed back in?

Have you tried a new data file with just one EWC account?

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have done all of that multiple times. I have jumped through hoops with the hopes of finding a solution. It's been over 3 days since I last heard from the Quicken Customer Service or Quicken Programmers. Either they don't understand the issue or it's a bigger deal than they thought.

Bottom line, my main concern is keeping my data and information secure. This mismatch of signons, passwords and FIs troubles me a bit.

• markus1957
    Options

You may be that rare instance when a new Quicken ID is required. Good Luck trying to get that.

But with respect to the mismatches, there is some underlying fundamental issue if a new datafile with single EWC account can't connect. I would offer that the mismatches are a side-effect of the underlying issue.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I just created a new file and tried to add one EWC account and still got the CC-503 error. This was one of the first things I tried when this issue started. I thought I would try it again anyway just in case.

• markus1957
    Options

FWIW, if you can get a hold of upper-level support again, a sanitized version of that single account data file along with its logfiles would be the one to troubleshoot with. Sometimes you can send it in Report a Problem with a tag they provide so they can pick it up and look at it.

There are no distractions in that file, so they should be able to trace down the problem.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I plan to do that. They were supposed to get back to me within 24 to 48 hours. It's been more than 96 hours, but unfortunately I will be "in transit" and unavailable all day tomorrow so it will need to wait until Monday.

Your idea of a file with one account is a good one. But I am not sure it would have much information because I can't even add one account. I wouldn't even mind giving them a sanitized copy of my full file if it would help. When I get in contact with them, I will definitely ask them if either file would be helpful. Thinking about it, I am kind of surprised that they didn't already ask me for a sanitized file.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

UPDATE 8/14 3:00 pm ct - I just got off the phone with Quicken Customer Service. It's been 1 week since I last got an update. Tier 3 programmers are still working on the issue. At least now they acknowledge it's an issue. When they try to make a connection to the financial institutions' servers, they are getting errors and cannot make a connection. So, the issue doesn't seem to have anything to do with my data file. They have stopped asking me to check my data file or confirm my usernames and passwords. I will wait for an update from them and if I haven't heard anything by the end of the week, I will call them again.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Update 8/18 6:15 pm ct. called again to get an update. I think they closed my "Tier 3" case number without a solution. I got another new case number. I think this is number 5. I was told I would get an e-mail explaining the fix in about 2 hours. It's been 5 hours and I am still waiting. Very disappointing. I will call back on Monday to get another update.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the update,

Just to clarify, any time you reach out to Quicken Support, a new ticket is created to document that interaction. That does not mean previous tickets have been closed.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina - Thank you for the clarification. I am still hoping progress is or will be made. I plan to call back on Monday. I am supposed to start with Beta, but I am hesitant to until my issue is resolved, so I hope you understand my frustration with this process. I am not getting any meaningful updates, so I really don't know if they are really working on the issue or not. The last two calls I was told they were very close, another hour or so. Then I am told to wait for an e-mail with instructions on how to fix the issue, but I never got an e-mail for either time.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

UPDATE 8/21 - 5:48 pm ct - I just got off the phone with Quicken Support. I am told now they can't help and that no one is working on my case. I told him that my case was escalated to tier 3, but he said it wasn't. I asked him to get a status but he refused. I am at wits end. I am extremely disappointed with Quicken.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina before you censor my comments, please talk to me first. I am only relaying what I experience from Quicken Support. You censored my 8/18 comments and I thought I was being unfair, but after the call today, I get a clear picture of how Quicken operates.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have lost a tremendous resource in me. Over the years, I have learned much about Quicken and how it works. I can rebuild a data file easily, I can create my own QFX and QIF files from a spreadsheet. I am trying to help. I am trying to "give back" but every time I get pushed away. I retired at age 55 and am a multi millionaire. I credit much of this to Quicken. But that's it. No more. I have been a real fool and naive to think Quicken would need or appreciate any help I could give. I ask for help for an issue and get nothing. Damian has left the building, for good this time.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I know for certain now and have proof that I was lied to. My case was never escalated as I was told. I can't believe that Quicken can do business like this and think they can get away with it.

• markus1957
    edited August 2023
    Options

Maybe a message to the OOP is in order.

Adding- You might try signing up as a new user with the 30-day trial. If a new user account works, you have more ammo to use in making your case regarding the quality of support you have received. Your old data file might even work when opened under a new user account.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Definitely message to the OOP is in order.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I see that someone (a moderator?) has maked this now as "Answered". This is definitely not the case. I never marked anything as "answered". The deception never stops. Please remove the "Answered" designation from this post. It is still not resolved and the programmers are now working on it (for real this time I hope).

This discussion has been closed.