R52.33 - Unable to open data file on first try - then opens after pointing to file (edit75)

Options

Answers

• Philf5072
    Philf5072 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

After an update, Quicken cannot open my data file?

[Merged Post]

• cmart0229
    cmart0229 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having all of the same problems.

The Quicken data file on my C drive (C:\Users\myusername\Documents\Quicken\Qdata.QDF) is empty or corrupted.

The only data file that Quicken will/can open is the OneDrive path. (C:\Users\myusername\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken\Qdata.QDF).

Long time user. I have changed nothing other than installing version updates.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

It isn't possible to guess at a answer without more information. Error messages?

[Merged Post]

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jshenk
    jshenk Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Same problem as the two previous postings, data file won't open after my last update,

[Merged Post]

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Restart your computer(s) and try again. If that doesn't work, try restoring a known-good backup data file.

[Merged Post]

• jshenk
    jshenk Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Rebooting didn't work. I located the file the program was trying to open and clicked on that, the same error occurred, I would rather not have to open the previous backup, I feel like Quicken's release caused this and they need to fix it.

[Merged Post]

• jshenk
    jshenk Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have been using Quicken since 1993. This is my current info

[Edited - Removed Personal Information From Screenshot]

[Merged Post]

• TerryC1013
    TerryC1013 Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same problems after upgrading to build 27.1.5233 on R52.33, Quicken classic Deluxe. Running Win 11.

This issue appears to be a couple days old.

Status, please?

• Steve Zynda
    Steve Zynda Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Same problem with me too where I get an Unable to Open selected file error

. Long time user. Started after upgrading to R52.33. I too have been using OneDrive for years with no issue and Validate/Repair does not resolve. File opens after 2 to 5 retries. Please prepare a Hot Fix ASAP for this and the Invalid Date issue when accepting downloaded transactions into investment accounts.

[Edit - Removed Personal Information From Screenshot]

• qmoco
    qmoco Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I am having the same problem, but think I found a work around. The problem started immediately after the most recent update. It seems that when I try to open a data file from either the window that pops up when starting the software that prompts you to enter your password, or if I hit cancel and choose to open a different file, I will receive the error “quicken cannot open the data file…”. However if I try to open the same data files by cancelling all the pop ups that appear and using the menus: File, Open Quicken File, it will open. So the problem seems to be with (very helpful) pop ups.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Deleted old message. I conclude that even though it is against Quicken Inc's policy to store the active data file on OneDrive, it isn't the cause of the problem because people have reported moving it off of OneDrive doesn't fix the problem.

I also notice a large percentage of people reporting this problem said that they use a data file password, so I tried putting one on mine, and still don't see the problem. So, I have no idea what is causing this problem and as such have no idea what it would take to resolve it. Hopefully the Quicken Inc developers will.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • cmart0229
    cmart0229 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina

I just spent time creating a Report a Problem ticket as you requested with detailed description, log files and sanitized data file. Quicken rejected the submission. I am done trying to figure out work arounds, etc. I need my data files!

Please fix problem ASAP.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Where is your data file stored?

[Merged Post]

Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Move your Quicken data file a folder on the local hard drive and out of the OneDrive

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jshenk
    jshenk Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

The one in question is in the Quicken folder on OneDrive

[Merged Post]

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

More your data file to a local folder

[Merged Post]

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'll join the party. I was able to open a backup file then save it to the normal folder, but then got the same error message when I tried to reopen the next day.

Running Windows 10, files stored on One Drive and local drive.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Based on what has been reported on this thread and my testing moving the data file of OneDrive will not fix the problem, at least not as "the solution".

At this point it is far from clear what is causing the problem, but people have already reported the problem while the data file is and isn't in OneDrive.

BTW even though it has always been Quicken Inc's policy not to store the data file on a cloud service folder, it definitely understandable that one might be doing this without even realizing it given how Windows/OneDrive works. Simply answering Windows' question about whether they want to protect their data files as yes, and Quicken's default choice of storing the data file in the Documents folder will result in this happening.

Signature:
  • mohrdj11
    mohrdj11 Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem for me, started immediately after last update.

• Joe603
    Joe603 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options

Same issue after the update

• Lundwall
    Lundwall Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Quicken will not open my data file (stored locally BTW) upon startup as it has done flawlessly for years. However, if I then select the file manually, it opens fine.

• D_McGhee
    D_McGhee Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options

Same issue here! I use One Drive as a backup, but I always work from my local copy of my quicken file. After reading through all the tips in the above thread, nothing was working! I turned the wifi off on my laptop, opened Quicken, dismissed the errors about being offline, and was then able to open the file. Once it was open, I turned the wifi back on and was able to run a One Step Update.

I view this as a short-term workaround and NOT a solution.

All the more reason to look for an alternative before my renewal next month! I've been using Quicken since the very first Windows version. My frustrations seem to increase every year!

• dlesaux
    dlesaux Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same issue. My working file is stored locally in the Documents directory, as it has been for years. When I first launch Quicken I get the "Can not find file error" followed by "Contact Support" popup messages. If I use File > Open, I'm able to open my file. I don't see the need to spend time to open a help ticket. Quicken is aware of the issue at this point. It just needs to be fixed.

• antonepc
    antonepc Member ✭✭
    Options

Just wanted to acknowledge that I, too, am experiencing the same problem of the last file not opening when opening Quicken. I have to manually go to the file and open it. This occurred since the last Quicken update.

• wfpbglfr
    wfpbglfr Member
    Options

same problem. clearly this is a big issue Quicken. Is anyone on it?

• jasonpbyu
    jasonpbyu Member ✭✭
    Options

Started happening to me as well over the weekend. And one of my bank accounts will no longer connect.

• cmart0229
    cmart0229 Member ✭✭
    Options

If it's Quicken's policy is not to store the data file on a cloud service, why do they include 100GB of free Dropbox storage to backup any file (including your Quicken file or Quicken backups) with a Quicken subscription?

All files in Dropbox folder are automatically backed up to Dropbox every time a file is added or changed. Sounds a lot like how OneDrive operates to me.

If my qdata.qdf file resides on my hard drive in a path that happens to have OneDrive in the path name versus residing on my hard drive in a path that does not, what is the difference? It still resides physically on my hard drive. Except for the fact that now, due to something done by Quicken, I am guessing, when I select C:\Users\myusername\Quicken\qdata.QDF from the File drop down list, I get an error message saying that

And then once I answer No, I get another error message

When I disconnect from the my network and then double click on the above QDF file in airplane mode, it opens the file C:\Users\myusername\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken\Qdata.QDF which tells me the file is resident on my hard drive albeit in the OneDrive path and asks for my data file password. Therefore, I don't understand what happened in the recent upgrades to cause Quicken not to be unable to open it after shutting down Quicken and restarting the application.

I don't believe it has anything to do with OneDrive. However, I still don't understand why the original QDF file (non OneDrive path) cannot be found/opened by Quicken.

I will continue to maintain a full back of my QDF file on a memory stick every time I make any updates until this issue is resolved.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@cmart0229

If it's Quicken's policy is not to store the data file on a cloud service, why do they include 100GB of free Dropbox storage to backup any file (including your Quicken file or Quicken backups) with a Quicken subscription?

You answered your own question, it is for BACKUPS. Quicken states in other places that it does not support having the data file on a network/shared drive.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• cmart0229
    cmart0229 Member ✭✭
    Options

@splasher According to their (Quicken's ) website, it's not just for Quicken Backup files but for backups of the Quicken files as well.

This is exactly how OneDrive is used. (Backup and Sync)

My files are not only in the cloud. They physically exist on the hard drive as OneDrive allows for the specification to Always Keep on This Device. Otherwise I would not be able to access the qdata.qdf file when not connected to the network.

This discussion has been closed.