R52.33 - Unable to open data file on first try - then opens after pointing to file (edit75)

Options

Answers

• Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just gave it a quick try, it does wait for quicken to exit, however the batch never exits because it sits on the onedrive line until you quit onedrive. So need to add a couple more lines to quit the batch file after the onedrive line.

• Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

This works

Open Notepad and paste the below

@echo off
    "%programfiles%\Microsoft OneDrive\OneDrive.exe" /shutdown
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Quicken\qw.exe"
    start "" "%programfiles%\Microsoft OneDrive\OneDrive.exe" /background

Save as quicken.bat, can put it wherever you want, I tossed it in my documents directory

Right click the .bat file and do create shortcut, it will put it on your desktop. Move the shortcut wherever you want (I also put it in the documents directory)

Right click shortcut, do properties. In the target field, add cmd.exe /C and a space before whatever is there.

Change the "run" field to "minimized".

Click change icon, put in C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\quicken.ico and choose the quicken icon.

Click ok, right click the shortcut, do "pin to taskbar" if you want it there, or if not just put the shortcut on your desktop.

Works like a charm.

Only "side effect" is you'll see two quicken icons in your taskbar while it is running. If this is confusing, then you can skip the step above to change the icon on the shortcut. Then you'll see a generic icon for launching quicken and the actual quicken icon when it is running.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you put "start" in front of the command it won't wait.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yep, that's what I did, see above post.

I'd post the files to make it easier for people but since I'd never recommend downloading a .bat or .cmd file from a stranger, hopefully people can follow those instructions fairly easily.

• Ron n Round Rock
    Ron n Round Rock Member ✭✭✭
    Options

SAME PROBLEM - 11/13/23

Fortunately, with the Open Quicken File and pointing to the Quicken data file, it seems to open & run OK.

Additionally, after the first Quicken startup failure (cannot ind quicken data file), if I try again, it opens on the 2nd attempt.

Please get this fixed - very scary - my life is in those Quicken data files.

ron, now in shawnee (won't let me change my original name)

• riverguy
    riverguy Member ✭✭
    Options

Just got an update to Quicken. It mentioned a fix to the OneDrive issue. Anyone tested it out yet?

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I just tested R53.16 and it is still broken when OneDrive is active. Pausing OneDrive before opening Quicken still functions as a workaround.

• betrout
    betrout Member ✭✭
    Options

Having same problem. Please fix!

• Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As already mentioned, today's update that claims to fix it has not fixed it.

The batch file workaround is working fine though.

• Nemleu
    Nemleu Member ✭✭
    Options

Same here, update did not fix the problem, but pausing OneDrive before opening Quicken still works.

• TBone1985
    Options

Nope. Still broken…Maybe they need a larger test group before saying something is fixed.

• u000top2
    u000top2 Member ✭✭
    Options

Nope, still broken. Updated, restarted, ran file validation.

• Mogirl49
    Mogirl49 Member
    Options

still can't open automatically after entering my password. but I can point to the file in the Quicken folder or in the remembers files and it opens. Ugh.

• Anders Martinson
    Anders Martinson Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Seems to have been magically addressed by either Q or MSFT. No longer happening to me (also not happening repeated request for Q password when using OSU). Still seems as if Q wants to download my data file from OneDrive even though the file is synched locally. In any event I'll take the current behavior over having to manually open the file after launching.

• Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Either you got lucky and your specific combination of OS etc was fixed, or you just had a fluke, occasionally mine would work fine (timing thing) but it is still asking for password multiple times and giving an error that it can't open the file. Still using the batch file to disable onedrive before opening quicken.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The release states "an issue", not "the issue". There may be more than one issue causing it and they fixed one of them. It may be splitting hairs in the use of words, but politicians and car sales personnel do it all the time.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Personally, I think that this is some kind of timing issue. As such depending in how they tried fix it, say with waiting somewhere longer, it might give some setups enough time and not others. This the real problem with timing issues that have no real way to sync things.

My machine, and I'm sure others, never had any problems when I tested putting my data file on OneDrive. So, right there you have my machine's "timing" and the "others".

Signature:
  • Gfive
    Gfive Member
    Options

I'm having the same issues. Moved my Quicken.QDF to my C Drive and diabled and uninstalled any and all cloud services. I even disconnected from the internet and I'm still having the same issue. This is a Quicken issue. After days of dealing with this, I want a refund if they can't solve the issue!!

• Gfive
    Gfive Member
    Options

This is so a Quicken issue. I've also tried exporting a QXF file, creating a new Quicken file and then importing the QXF file. Same issue. Even a new Quicken file with no accounts produces the same result. So disappointing that this hasn't been a high priority considering my entire financial life is tied to Quickens. I want a solution or refund!!

• Bob Carver
    Bob Carver Member ✭✭
    Options

I also have struggled with getting Quicken "Classic" to open. I have been able to use the File→Open process to open the data file after being initially unable to do so. I can confirm the interrelationship with OneDrive being at fault. Without suggesting where lies the fault or who should fix the problem, what works for me: (1) suspend OneDrive synchronization, (2) open Quicken - no problems encountered, (3) after finishing with Quicken restore/un-suspend OneDrive synchronization, at which time the OneDrive Quicken files are automatically backed up.

• Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your issue is different from what is being discussed here, but it sounds similar so there may be something running on your PC that is backing stuff up (and locking the files when doing so), like windows file history (the new version of windows backup) etc.

• Joe603
    Joe603 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Release notes for R53.16 indicate this has been fixed. Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue for me.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello All,

We would like to know if users are still experiencing this issue?

If so, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or once you have submitted logs!

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• tlpwis
    tlpwis Member ✭✭✭
    Options

still having the issue and filed the help report requested.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I strongly suggest that anyone sending a sanitized data file first use:

File → Copy or Backup File … → Create a copy of template

And send a sanitized file of that copy instead of the original data file.

Signature:
  • cm_blk
    cm_blk Member ✭✭
    Options

Replying to Quicken Jasmine: Yes. I am still getting the same error. When I start quicken, I have to sign-on to Quicken with my Quicken ID. Next it tells me that I can't open the file. Then I go to "File → open" on the menu and open my Quicken file.

Anytime Quicken says that it can't open the file, it is pretty scary.

• rongee
    rongee Member ✭✭
    Options

Having the same problem. Since the last update, the default file fails to open, but if I pick the same file from the File menu, it opens fine after asking me for my Quicken UID and PWD. As with others, the file has been in the same location for years.

This discussion has been closed.