Quicken doesn't recognize my Data File Password

Options

Comments

• ctonylee
    ctonylee Member
    Options

Same problem. 5 Weeks is too freakin long to have this not fixed. I agree, FIX THIS NOW!!!!!

• cc4005
    cc4005 Member
    Options

Release notes for the latest Quicken update show this as fixed. It is not fixed.

• tkstaple
    tkstaple Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same intermittent data file password issue as well. It doesn't recognize the password and then I usually select show and enter and it usually opens. This has been going on for a while as apparent from this discussion chain. The last update, R53.16, mentioned addressing this issue but it didn't change anything in my program related to the problem.

• msscpa
    msscpa Member ✭✭
    Options

same with me… the last update R53.16 last bullet point "Fixed an issue in shich custers were unable to open the datafile stored on OneDrive"

no change in behaviour… i still must pause onedrive…. hopefully, a real fix is coming

• MICKEYBNY
    MICKEYBNY Member ✭✭
    Options

This seems to be due to issues between quicken and MS OneDrive. I found the Quicken QDF file for my database. I right clicked on the file and selected "always keep on my device" , which I back up daily with Carbonite. This seems to be working for me with a password on my datafile. If not, take the password off the data file as another work around. Or just keep trying and eventually it lets you in.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Options

Hi All, I am sorry this issue is still ongoing. Can you let me know if your file works as expected after pausing One Drive, opening the file, closing the file, unpausing One Drive, and then opening their file without pausing One Drive?

Thanks!

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• pspiel
    pspiel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't actually pause one drive. I just check to see if there is update activity by. If there is, I wait for it to finish. Then I can log in without any problem.

• jcpierson
    jcpierson Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, my file worked as expected by following the procedure described - pausing One Drive, opening the file, closing the file, unpausing One Drive, and then opening the file without pausing One Drive

But it is simpler for me to just pause OneDrive, open my file, resume OneDrive syncing then go about working in Quicken as needed

• fredjheller
    fredjheller Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm unhappy to see people having problems, but I must say I am very happy to see I am not the only one and maybe will get some help from the Quicken powers. It remains a troubling feeling to put in the right password time after time, have it rejected, re-select the file, and have it accepted. I keep wondering, will it sometime stay in the 'password incorrect' mode…? Let's hope quicken fixes before that….

• pmeyers
    pmeyers Member ✭✭
    Options

Any update on when this will be fixed? I'm also asked to log on to Quicken multiple times.

• LesterC
    LesterC Member
    Options

I have been a Quicken user for over 20 years and have used it with Microsoft OneDrive for about 10 years and only now, I have the same problem where it does not recognize my data file password.

I reset my password and that didn't work and like the others realized that just by reloading the same file again and entering the same password, it would eventually take the password and load the file. I also removed the requirement to enter any data file password and same thing - doesn't work the first time but works the second or third time - again, with no password!!

I do make sure that Microsoft OneDrive is synced before trying to open the Quicken datafile but that doesn't make it work any better.

• Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    Options

I had the same experience and have a similar background of 20+ years with Quicken and many years with OneDrive. Waiting for the sync to stop still didn't work for me. Disabling syncing temporarily before opening the file as noted earlier or (my current approach) moving the actual Quicken file (except the backups) out of OneDrive, proved to be the only consistent solution. I already cancelled my subscription auto-renewal that was happening this month. This product is not worth the price. In fact, it feels criminal to have to pay every year for such junk. The original non-subscription versions of Quicken were solid products! I may have to dig up my 2017 version to see if it will open my latest file to avoid the SUPER INTRUSIVE, NAG BUILT-IN FEATURE this Quicken version loves to impress on users to force a renewal.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Dr. JJ, why are you blaming Quicken when the problem was caused by an update to OneDrive from Microsoft? Are you going to quit using Windows as well since Microsoft caused the problem?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    Options

@Greg_the_Geek because I use to write software for a living and this product seems to be spaghetti code all the way. This version of Quicken crashes on every other opening when I use it. Simple tasks like moving from register to register and boom crash. It has gotten better this year but still it crashes randomly. I report these crashes and no real improvement. The original Quicken version never did this. None of my other SW on my machine seems to be affected by the "recent OneDrive" update from MS. So, it seems clear to me that it is more of a Quicken problem than a Microsoft one…no?

• fredjheller
    fredjheller Member ✭✭✭
    Options

FWIW, I find that I still have this problem almost every time, but it 'seems' like I somehow have better luck if I 'show' the password. Makes no sense this works, but this error makes no sense. Or it could all be just semi-random when it accepts accurate password or denies it.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I certainly can't fault anyone for stopping using Quicken because of various problems in it, but your last assumption isn't correct. Another user has already reported that they have other applications that got affected by the OneDrive change. But even if they didn't one has to take into consideration that probably none of your other applications are using a database which you are allowing an application (OneDrive) to sync (and block access) like Quicken when it might be in an inconsistent state.

Quicken 2017 will not help for two reasons. The change was made in OneDrive not Quicken. OneDrive was changed in a way that it is now ignoring the fact that Quicken has its data file locked.

The second reason is because you would never get Quicken 2017 registered. They did make changes to the logging in of the Quicken Id on the server and now Quicken 2014 through 2017 can't log in. And without being able to log in, you can't register on that machine.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    Options

"Another user has already reported that they have other applications that got affected by the OneDrive change."

@Chris_QPW Thanks for pointing that out. I was not aware others were running into non-Quicken issues with the latest OneDrive update. I stand corrected! Also, forgot about the Quicken ID changes. I guess I'll have to live with the re-subscribe nags until there is a solid discount offered to continue being a beta tester for Quicken.

Thanks!

• HIS1RLG
    HIS1RLG Member
    Options

I have copied the data base to my C:\ for now and backup the database to my One Drive. It's been working fine since then. Actually, it runs a bit faster without the Onedrive overhead. Can we be notified when it's fixed, so I can move it back to 'One Drive'. Thanks Bob

• Brian Strucel
    Options

I have the exact same problem in Version R53.16, Build 27.1.53.16,. This is definatly a bug introduced in a recent update. Please create a fix.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

@Brian Strucel, it was a recent update to OneDrive that caused the problem. The same issue occurs with the previous version of Quicken as well.

Why is everyone so quick to blame Quicken? Here are all the updates to OneDrive. It was the 10/19/2023 OneDrive update the causes the problem.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You got to love the last three (or more) release notes for OneDrive:

We've resolved product issues to improve the reliability and performance of the OneDrive sync app

(same exact message on all those releases. How to say I don't want to be bothered with telling you what we did, without actually saying that.)

Signature:
  • archidad3
    archidad3 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

All of a sudden over the last several weeks, my desktop Quicken Classic is not opening correctly. It fails to recognize my data file password once, and then a second time, and then it claims to not even recognize my data file. When I then go to open the file from the pull down menu, sometimes it then recognizes my data file password, but usually it takes a few more tries before it ultimately accepts it. And then, once the program is open, it operates completely normally. That is, until I attempt to download transactions - it then claims not to recognize my Quicken ID and I have to re-enter it. I have already uninstalled the program once and reinstalled it, but the same thing happens. Any thoughts on why this is happening and/or how to remedy it?

[Merged Post]

• Greg_the_Geek
    edited December 2023
    Options
  • maratekin
    maratekin Member ✭✭
    Options

Has anyone experienced data loss recently? As I was reconciling my checking account, I discovered my starting balance differed from my bank statement (I reconciled last month with no issue). Going back to a backup from a month or so ago (after restoring and checking for missing transactions on several backups), I was able to identify roughly 20 transactions that simply disappeared. This required several hours of work pulling/extracting data and doing a lot of work in Excel. I do not use cloud syncing (that seemed to contribute to data loss previously). I’m curious if this could be related to the OneDrive issue; that doesn’t make sense, but I’m trying to diagnose the root cause so I can be confident in my data (which spans about 30 years).

• Dr. JJ
    Dr. JJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@maratekin, I did notice "info" that I updated on several accounts were missing recently. Some weeks ago, I spent some time on a weekend morning updating all of my credit card rates, as well as credit limits (after several targeted CLI received). I do not recall if this was before I moved the Quicken database file out of OneDrive or after. The other day I went in and several of the interest rates and credit limits reverted back to the old values. It was obvious that I attempted to make an update because I always record in the notes the date and amount of the new credit limit on each credit card account (I keep a change log). The notes were there but the other fields were outdated. I simply assumed I must have imagined (in my aging brain) that I updated all the fields on each account. Your note makes me think now I didn't. I also recall several random instances where I swore I entered a transaction and days later it was "missing." I simply assumed again that I must have dreamed that I inputted the transaction when the reconcile was off. I do NOT also use cloud sync as I like my info to be local. In any event, it has been at least a week since I (re-)updated those accounts and the values have not changed. I also have not seen any reconciliation issues ever since. Maybe this is indeed a result of the OneDrive/Quicken issue? Seems logical… I am not 100% certain however.

• SRBoden
    SRBoden Member
    Options

Since the recent Quicken update I have also had trouble being able to access the file with my password. Not sure if this is a bug in the new version update.

• jcpierson
    jcpierson Member ✭✭
    Options

Seems to be working now after today's update. I was able to open my file without pausing the OneDrive sync.

• msscpa
    msscpa Member ✭✭
    Options

i ran today's update (R53.26) that says it "addressed file opening issues from OneDrive, improving the handling of open operations"

i see some improvement as the program will eventually open but it hangs for about 30 seconds ….

Still not at the performance it used to be

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Still not at the performance it used to be

That might never be possible. Microsoft did change the way OneDrive works, and basically what I see is that the Quicken Developers have tried to close the "loopholes" of when the file is locked, but the "majority" of the fixes have centered on, "wait for OneDrive" to stop doing things with the file.

Signature:
  • msscpa
    msscpa Member ✭✭
    Options

after today's update-R53.32, it is worse than before… must pause onedrive all the time for any Quicken file with a file password

This discussion has been closed.