Pentagon PenFed Credit Union PFCU - CC-502 (QWin)

Options

Answers

• dhenderson67
    dhenderson67 Member ✭✭
    Options

*subscription

• Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@dhenderson67 wish there was another tool that provides the same functionality. I have been using Quicken since the mid 1990s.

• mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

my another interaction with PenFed rep

"We have received a high volume of concern regarding Quicken. A ticket has been opened and we are working towards getting this resolved."

I think if everyone will complain to PenFed then only PenFed will act

I don't see how Quicken can force PenFed to support required Direct or Web Connect … or can it?

Best Regards
  • mark.granoff
    mark.granoff Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I submitted feedback to PenFed and just had a call with their customer support people, who were quite good. They heard my concern and reported it up the chain. She reiterated what other's have been reporting that screen scraping is no longer supported. I suggested that there are other secure and reliable mechanisms by which to provide transaction download. And if it's good enough for the likes of Bank of America, surely PenFed could do the same. Anyway…

I would encourage everyone to call (800-247-5626, option 5) and voice your disappointment that PenFed no longer supports third-party apps such as Quicken and others to download transactions directly. You can tell them that the manual download option doesn't work quite right. (I tried it. Q imported the transactions WITHOUT letting me process them one by one, so that to my mind is broken.) And you should mention that there are secure methods that are not screen scraping by which to offer the automatic download capability. I did also mention that I've heard a lot of folks say they will abandon PenFed over this, so the customer backlash will be real. Their decision might be a positive for security, but it's a net negative for customers.

Go ahead. Call! The more folks they hear from the more likely they are to perhaps make a better decision going forward. If a credit union is all about its members, then the members should speak up to be served, I say!

• mcjennings
    mcjennings Member ✭✭
    Options

I submitted a support case on this today and here is their BS response:

"Thank you for contacting PenFed.

Unfortunately, PenFed is not able to support automatic downloads to Quicken.

While there are no technical limitations that should prevent automatic downloads, we are unable to provide technical support related to third party services.

That said, you always have the option to manually download your transactions."

• mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

if only 10-100 PenFed Members complain to PenFed out of 3 millions members, do you think PenFed will act?

the same if 100-1000 members will leave …

sure, I hope PenFed and Quicken can restore auto download, but …

Best Regards
  • FredRVet
    FredRVet Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem with my 4 pen fed accounts. I have disconnected the download ad reset the download connection settings numerous time and sent the error report to Quicken. It has happen several times over the last 12 months. Each time it was fixed by Quicken. But give me a break!!! Why does it take so long to figure it out.

• jdwill100
    jdwill100 Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken Anja

On a related issue, when downloading directly from the penfed website, the downloaded file doesn't show up in the Quicken software. It opens up in Quicken with screen that I've never before seen (see attached screenshot)

. After hitting the import button, no new transactions show up in the account register.

• ernievjr40
    ernievjr40 Member ✭✭
    Options

There is all kinds of talk that Penfed does not allow screen-scraping technology. In this era of modern technology it's unbelievable that a work around cannot be found. I am sure the answer hinges on profitability. I a lot say they will move their accounts out of PenFed, that easy to say and do. However, PenFed has the best or some of the interest rates for their products. For me the best thing I could do is cancel my Quicken subscription and go back to MoneySpire.

Come on Quicken dedicate a team to give this problem with PenFed a complete thorough review and don't stop until you explore all avenues and come up with a workable solution. Hire some better software engineers that will give it there all.

• solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

it appears that the problem is PenFed - not Quicken. Others here have reported that PenFed decided not to support Quicken. I'm complaining to PenFed.

• solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've contacted PenFed and received the following reply-

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @jdwill100

When you see that pop-up window appear, are you selecting the "Quicken account to import into:" in the drop-down menu? If not - try again and this time select the name of your Penfed account that you want to import.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Smart_VAH
    Smart_VAH Member ✭✭
    Options

I had no downloaded transactions since 11/09/2023, this is a 'familiar' issue for many years. I opted to do the manual download-n-Quicken update (QFX formatted content). Since this has been ongoing, I just had a chat session with PFCU support. The script is very revealing (screen capture enclosed)!

So, Quicken Team, where do we go from here? - Vijay Harwalkar

• MPRECI
    MPRECI Member ✭✭
    Options

😔😔😔 Does Quicken charge the institutions a fee?

• Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Smart_VAH this works for savings and checking accounts in QFX format but not credit cards accounts. QFX format is the preferred format. I sent in yesterday requesting that credit card accounts support the QFX format. I did try the QIF format but it just puts them in the register, no matching like the QFX format. I had to delete the duplicates.

• Smart_VAH
    Smart_VAH Member ✭✭
    Options

OK Quicken Team/PFCU Coordinators. . . . here's a straight 'trick' question. Why does the automated Web Connect download process work UNTIL it fails? And the cycle repeats every so often? What business negotiations are time-limited or software updates out of sync? Am I missing any other parameter? If there's agreement to cooperate/coordinate between Q and PFCU, where/when does it break down? It cannot be an unknown issue after dealing with it for so many years! - Vijay Harwalkar

• mitch cohen
    mitch cohen Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

All - based upon my detailed letter, PenFed has responded truthfully. See attached … OneStepUpdate in Quicken for PenFed is dead. I will begin moving ALL our accounts to my other credit union next week. No use calling or fighting with them … they have made their decision. Just let them know why you’re leaving as you close your accounts. I will tell them next week. Bye bye PenFed.

• hansenb40
    hansenb40 Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options

ok, I get it and also understand their perspective. However, if we all continue to gripe they may invest in a more secure process to get our transactions. As a software developer I have argued not to do this screen scraping thing. That screen scraping thing is a bad idea for many reasons. For me, it's awful annoying not getting my transactions, but for those of us that are upset the better approach is to continue to push for a more secure way to get our data. There are other choices, you probably have other institutions that are doing it already in a more secure way.. For reference, read this about the issues;

https://blog.axway.com/learning-center/digital-security/keys-oauth/screen-scraping

For me, this means I will rely less on Penfeds products over time. Unless they agree to invest in a more secure way for me to get my data. My guess is the intersection of quicken and Penfed members is probably pretty small compare to their entire membership.

Maybe tangential, but remember Penfed is short for Pentagon…… It is not a surprise they are trying to be secure. As they should be with your financial data.

Yes, it would be nice if Quicken was a bit more upfront about this. Oh well….. I can understand why; exposing a security issue with express web connect is probably not good for business <my opinion based on no internal knowledge, and yes conjecture/>.

• derekpc
    derekpc Member ✭✭
    Options

To add insult to injury in this latest loss of automated downloads to Quicken from Penfed, in there latest site "update" Penfed has managed to misplace QFX as a download format for credit card transactions even though it is still available for account statements. I called customer service about this last week and they are "aware and working on it. We have no ETA…"

QIF just ends up duplicating any entries I have made manually in my Quicken register while QFX works a treat. Hopefully this won't last as long as the last Penfed outage which was more than 60 days I believe.

If the up and down issues with Penfed over the past 3-4 years didn't make managing accounts so difficult it would be laughable. Sadly, as a member since 1979 who has seen it all with Penfed, I'm not laughing.

• stevietjackson
    Options

I've been getting the FDP-102 error for days now. Been putting up with Quicken/PENFED connection issues for years. Has Quicken support EVER responded with a "We fixed it!" message? Seems that the just keep logging the same complaints, then it magically works for a while. I tried manual downloads of data, but download will not go into correct account and I can't link to an existing account. Guess we just have to live in this purgatory until something happens. Sigh.

• jdwill100
    jdwill100 Member ✭✭
    Options

Frankx,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have selected the account under the dropdown list. I've 2 credit card accounts at Penfed, neither website download works.

• Kamster
    Kamster Member
    Options

PenFed's response isn't good, Is Quicken working with them on another method to download data?

• derekpc
    derekpc Member ✭✭
    Options

To add insult to injury in this latest loss of automated downloads to Quicken from Penfed, in there latest site "update" Penfed has managed to misplace QFX as a download format for credit card transactions even though it is still available for account statements. I called customer service about this last week and they are "aware and working on it. We have no ETA…"

QIF just ends up duplicating any entries I have made manually in my Quicken register while QFX works a treat. Hopefully this won't last as long as the last Penfed outage which was more than 60 days I believe.
    If the up and down issues with Penfed over the past 3-4 years didn't make managing accounts so difficult it would be laughable. Sadly, as a member since 1979 who has seen it all with Penfed, I'm not laughing.

• Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@derekpc there is a work around by modifying the OFX file and it works. Look back on November 29 under Joe Roksewicz. It’s a pain but it works.

• John in Arizona
    John in Arizona Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I receive CC-502 errors that the PFCU server is unavailable. This has been going on for a couple of years at least. It gets fixed, then fails again in a month or two. What is going on here?

• Kamster
    Kamster Member
    Options

Maybe Quicken and Penfed could get together and implement / force 2FA like Venmo and paypal among others do. That would be the simple answer, For my venmo account, it is venmo that sends me a code, i enter that into Quicken, then Quicken validates it with venmo and magic happens.

• chaskunz
    chaskunz Member ✭✭
    Options

The only file types the Penfed downloads are available in are CSV, QIF, OFX and Excel. QFX is not on their list anymore.

From Support: "Quicken cannot import Excel (.xls), CSV (except to import security prices or address book information), QuickBooksPDF, or OFX files." "QIF import isn't available for checking, savings, or credit card accounts, or for 401(k) or any other brokerage accounts, although some financial institutions offer price history download via QIF."

Looks like they are doing everything possible to alienate Quicken users.

• Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@chaskunz you can download QFX for PenFed for savings and checking accounts but not credit card accounts.

This discussion has been closed.