Pentagon PenFed Credit Union PFCU - CC-502 (QWin)

Options

Answers

• Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Wonderboy I tried using the QFX download on PenFed Credit Card. It recognizes the QFX file for Savings account and won't import into my Credit Card. It has this in in the QFX file

<ACCTTYPE>SAVINGS</ACCTTYPE>

So @Wonderboy this is probably why payments and charges are mixed up.

• Kamster
    Kamster Member
    Options

Do we have an update from the Quicken team? Are they even working with Penfed on option?

• Smart_VAH
    Smart_VAH Member ✭✭
    Options

@Krakat I read with interest your post of 11 Dec regarding QFX for Credit Card info download. I too received a follow-up call from Cody's office today (12/12/2023). It was quite a conversation, and I managed to pin him down on the fact that PFCU web site does not have an explicit statement of not supporting Quicken AutoUpdate. He confirmed my statement during the call! I was told that it's Quicken that finds a work-around 'whatever' constraints PFCU applies to prevent the Quicken's auto download process. I then countered with the fact that (a) many other Credit Unions, Banks, Financial Institutions work seamlessly with Quicken, (b) PFCU is not the first or the last one to run up against 'security' concerns, ( c) PFCU members are totally in the dark about where to seek resolution - based on the Quicken Community messages. My take after the call - I don't believe anything the PFCU person indicated, and there's nothing new that we don't already know. BTW, if any reporting period has ZERO balance, no statement is created (I have major problems with this). Essentially, the ball is squarely in PFCU court to find a solution to make connectivity secure.

• Wonderboy
    Wonderboy Member ✭✭
    Options

@Krakat The “new” credit card download link did put the incorrect transactions into the correct account (probably because I confirmed that it should In Quicken). This is clearly a work in progress and they might yet get it right.

• nordicmariner37
    nordicmariner37 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I contacted PENFED about the issue of no one step update. This is their answer. Looks like PENFED is not cooperating. CAN QUICKEN HELP?????????

"

[Removed PDF and Replaced with Screenshot for Privacy and Security]

[Merged Post]

• ernievjr40
    ernievjr40 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I contacted PenFed also. I received the same identical response. Looks like trying to get Quicken to connect with PenFed is not happening anytime soon. Now, we have two options either drop Quicken and subscribe to another financial program or keep Quicken and our accounts from PenFed to another financial institution.

[Removed - Speculation/Rant]

[Merged Post]

• jschumann888
    jschumann888 Member ✭✭
    Options

Today (Dec 15) PFCU added download in QFX as an option. I downloaded it and get an error in quicken. I also tried downloading the OFX and modifying it and it doesn't run either. I also tried connecting web connect - no go there either.

Point is, it looks like PFCU is doing some things, hopefully they will work it out soon.

• mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

what dept did you talk to to get subscription extension or etc?

Best Regards
  • Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@mikek753b i just go through tech support and when they say they can’t assist as there is already a ticket on the problem then I ask for compensation.(650) 250-1900

• Bill Pa
    Bill Pa Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I noticed today that if I try to add an account from PENFED, that I get two choices under the "Search for your financial institution" dialog box, quicken (for windows if it matters) is giving me two choices… "Pentagon Federal Credit Union" (with the "PenFed" pentagon around the world globe icon", and "Pentagon FCU" which gives me a little greenish blue icon that looks with 5 columns under a triangle… kind of like a greek temple. They both give the penfed website and the same phone number. The first option gives an "Advanced Options" link that lets you select "Express Web Connect" or "Web Connect"…

Is all of this part of the "fix"… what is one supposed to do?

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello @Bill Pa, @ernievjr40, and @nordicmariner37,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to get updates when available and to know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

Thank you!

(Ticket #10658127/CTP-8392)

[Merged Post]

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Pacheco
    Pacheco Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

For past three (3) weeks I've gotten a CC-502 Error code. I have tried resetting account and deactivating/reactivating with no success. I am running Quicken Deluxe, version R53.26, build 27.1.53.26 on a windows 10 PC

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Pacheco,

This is a known issue. Please take a look at this earlier post with the link to the Community Alert for the issue:

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Brian S.
    Brian S. Member ✭✭
    Options

Since we are no longer able to download transactions through quicken, I attempted to do it manually through the penfed downloads page as I have done in the past. None of the current formats correctly download. The QFX download gives the the error OL-221-A and OL-221B when importing into Quicken. The QIF imports charge transactions as payments and payments as charges, so it is useless also. Is manual entry the only way to enter transactions now?

• jmgloude
    jmgloude Member ✭✭
    Options

Brian S. I have had success downloading QFX from the PenFen site for credit card transactions using the method that I posted on Dec 9.

• Krakat
    Krakat Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jmgloude I have tried. It takes forever for the old pages to load for my credit card accounts.

• jmgloude
    jmgloude Member ✭✭
    Options

@Krakat It is slow but it works.

• Brian S.
    Brian S. Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks! Downloading it isn't the problem. There is an option to download a webconnect QFX through the new Penfed interface that causes causes an error when trying to import it into quicken. This happens whether I just double click (in Windows) on the file or use the quicken import function.

However, going to the old interface works as you said; however, you left a step out in your instructions.

Just posting here for others:

After clicking on the "other actions" tab, you need to select "more account options" from the dropdown menu to get to the classic interface, then main menu, etc.

• Smart_VAH
    Smart_VAH Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina It was interesting to look back into the auto update issues reported in 2021 (I bookmarked the discussions). One of the comments was -

Quicken Support had suggested a process (response to my ticket; which I reported in 2021) that was successful. Should we assume that PenFed (based on various 2023 comments in this thread) and Quicken are trying to outwit each other for their business models? Is there not a common agreement which can be implemented, and one that mimics other financial institutions?

• stan05482
    stan05482 Member ✭✭
    Options

For what it's worth, I put an X post #PenFed & #Quicken complaining about the lack of customer support from PenFed. Their technology is really awful. This is only one example. Need to find another bank.

• Ret. AF Chief
    Options

Apparently PenFed feels that utilizing software such as Quicken exposes us to security problems exposing our accounts to hackers. Why then doesn't PF add 2 factor authentication to its security protocols?

• mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

the real question is → why PenFed doesn't provide Direct Connect ?

Best Regards
  • hansenb40
    hansenb40 Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options

I also got an error on the 'new' qfx option next to my credit card account this morning. I fixed it by changing the accttype to creditline and adding negative signs to each transaction. If you don't do the latter it will show up as a payment in the credit card register.

• ernievjr40
    ernievjr40 Member ✭✭
    Options

Reply to jmgloude. Thank you for the great suggestion. I tried what you suggested and I was able to manually download my PenFed transactions into Quicken. Thanks again.

Now if we could only get Quicken and PenFed to work together and find a working resolution to this problem everybody would be happy. I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. As long as their bottom lines are impacted no one is going to concede. Maybe will have a Christmas miracle.

• avic
    avic Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I was able to download QFX transaction via PenFed transaction download page (see below), however, note that for credit cards, the transaction signs are REVERSED!

I've created an urgent feature request asking quicken to add a "reverse" transaction checkbox to the QFX file import dialog, embedded in the post above

please upvote this feature request.

https://home.penfed.org/v2/s/transaction-download-page

• Brian S.
    Brian S. Member ✭✭
    Options

You can still download them correctly via the method a few posts above through the classic interface, but yes, the new interface QFX file has the transactions reversed.

• avic
    Options

FYI, in another thread another user reported that PenFed fixed the reversed sign issue.

was not fixed for me as of this morning… will download another QFX next week and will report back.

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    Options

Today I disconnected all my PenFed accounts (turned off downloading). I was tired of waiting over five minutes each time I wanted to download my other accounts that DO connect. Quicken is not the only software having problems with PenFed. Why doesn't PenFed offer another alternative mode that Quicken can use? I fail to see who is benefiting from the lack of a service.

Is ANYONE still able to connect to PenFed through Quicken for downloading transactions automatically (i.e., not using the outdated file transfer mode)? If it's broken, why does Quicken still list PenFed (twice!) in its available institutions, when in fact they are NOT available.

• avic
    edited December 2023
    Options

I also disconnected PenFed and I am no longer using PenFed credit cards (other than auto payment that I have not yet updated…)

I found others to replace them, even better cash back benefits,

Synchrony 2% on everything other than these: AmEx Blue Cash 3% on online retail, Verizon 4% on groceries/gasoline, Amazon Prime 5% on Amazon/whole foods, Apple Card, Walmart, Target, REI, LL Beans and probably a few more…

Quicken is awesome now and makes it very easy to track and balance these.

• Jonathan L
    Options

For me, the QFX file is still not the correct format for credit card transactions and is unusable. Direct Connect just hangs for five minutes before reporting an error. I'm a software engineer, but I'm not interested in opening files from my bank and manipulating them every month. I have plenty of other accounts where I have never had think about this issue. See ya, PenFed. I used the old account history page to download the transactions (thank you for that tip), but who knows how long that will be available. After a decade and a half, a different credit card is going to become my primary card.

I am not sure why PenFed cares if their own customers are 'screen scraping' transactions and yet they provide no feasible alternative to avoid the screen scraping. QIF is barely better than entering them manually.

This discussion has been closed.