What the...??? DO NOT EVER ENTER SS# IN ANY POP UP...EVER! ! ! Credit Report ??

Options
Maqune
Maqune Member ✭✭

The pop-up screen-shot below appeared on our Quicken Classic Deluxe. I just installed a manual update due to previous pop-ups that didn't look legit.

Is this really Quicken? Or have we been hacked? If hacked then Quicken R55.15 has vulnerabilities.

It would be utter foolishness for anyone to enter all the info requested on any pop-up, you would be giving your life away to hackers. If this is a legit Quicken pop-up, SHAME on Quicken for even trying to entice customers to do something so foolish. Even if this pop-up was safe you shouldn't be normalizing this behavior…and even if it is currently safe, EVERY business WILL get hacked eventually so the less one spreads their personal ID info around the better!

Tagged:

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How else would you have them retrieve your credit score?

Now, I don't know why folks wanted Quicken to retrieve their credit score to begin with since it seems like every financial institution provides it. I know that I can get it from four different FIs that I deal with.

I have always thought it was one of the more useless features they have recently added. I guess it was something new to dangle in front of users as an incentive to buy Quicken.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And why do you believe that a pop-up carries more risk than inputting the SSN into the primary screen?

Either can be hacked.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Maqune
    Maqune Member ✭✭
    Options

#NotACPA - Technically true, anything can be hacked if info is valuable enough for hackers to spend their time getting into it - and financial programs would certainly be a prime target. My point was that on a primary screen you have a better chance to know why & where you are because you navigated there yourself without outside influence.

With pop-ups there is no way to tell where they originated from or what triggered them. A pop-up introduces more unknowns out of user control and is often used in phishing schemes. It a favorite social engineering method hackers use to coerce people into revealing the personal data allowing them to hack into primary programs. There is constant internet safety warnings about how bad players are making emails, web pages & pop-ups look more and more legitimate so never click on something you did not specifically know its origin, always go to a known source.

…and yes I wear my tin foil hat proudly…😜

Beyond my hard earned suspicious nature, I think this is a cheesy pitch that makes Quicken look like they are grasping for something instead of a solid organization I want to entrust my extremely personal data with.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think this is a cheesy pitch that makes Quicken look like they are grasping for something instead of a solid organization I want to entrust my extremely personal data with.

What makes you think that Quicken Inc is pushing this?

Well, I guess, "sort of" because it is now a feature, but the request to see the credit score in Quicken has definitely come from Quicken users. Like the others in this thread, think that isn't the brightest idea, but it is what the Quicken users wanted.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You probably don’t want to know where your account and transaction data is stored either.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Maqune - the product is not being forced upon you. If decide to use it or not is totally up to you. The fact that Quicken offers this product doesn't imply anything, except maybe complying with users' requests for new features.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

then don't click on the REPORT -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Maqune
    Maqune Member ✭✭
    Options

…I'm sure you are correct. My data is probably floating around in some cloud that will definitely be hacked some day. That is why I would prefer to buy a product that resides on my own equipment.

… If Quicken is responding to user requests then I would like a locally resident product that I own instead of renting without all of the inter-connectivity and automation that only creates more vulnerabilities and makes my job more complicated. I spend more time now finding and cleaning up erroneous categories and the bloated memorized payee list than I used to spend just manually entering everything…very annoying!

…I did NOT click on Report or Credit Score - that was my point. The pop-up was unbidden by me and came out of the blue…like other pop-ups I recently experienced while using Quicken. The two below, and others I mention on a different post : (see "Why "Enter Quicken ID Password" suddenly starts popping up with strange behaviors)

Some appear to be normal Quicken pop-ups, and some appear to be virus related (according to other Quicken users):

Sure I can chose to ignore pop-ups, but Quicken is choosing to use the exact same method that a virus uses to entice customers to perform a dangerous action. Hackers create viruses to mimick that function to entice you to do something you DID NOT want to do…how are we to know which pop-up to trust and which to ignore? I'm just saying unbidden pop-ups are a yellow or red flag so if Quicken is using them they are hurting their reputation and encouraging customers to participate in dangerous practices. If the information given by other users on my other post is correct, then the latest version of Quicken already has a vulnerability that allowed a virus to utilize Quicken pop-up dialogs to redirect customers to perform dangerous activities.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I’ve never seen ANY of these kinds of popups …

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Maqune - what device did you capture the last two screenprints from?

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Maqune,

Would you mind providing more information regarding the pop-ups that you receive within your Quicken Application? More specifically, the ones that you previously shared within this discussion thread.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25
    Options

interesting…

If you do a Google search for - “virus press allow to verify human”

you will see tons of similar reported screen images…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Ps56k2 - there are also many similar images and reports on Reddit that were removed because they were fakes. Take a closer look at the images that Maqune provided. They look like they were created rather than captured.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Maqune - Did you run an anti-virus/malware deep scan of your computer as was suggested in your other 3/22 post on this pop-up subject (Why "Enter Quicken ID Password" suddenly starts popping up with strange behaviors)? If so, what was the result?

Are you using that CyberGhost VPN that is shown in that one pop-up? If so, did you download it recently (like shortly before this pop-up issue started) and where did you download it from?

Have you downloaded any other software (applications, games, browser add-on or extensions, etc.) and where did you download it from? You mentioned that prior to downloading/installing the manual patch update you also saw pop-ups so that's a pretty good indication that whatever is causing these popups now was already in your system before you downloaded/installed the manual patch update.

Some companies/sites will offer "free" software. They need to make money and they sometimes do that or supplement it by downloading Adwares or PUPs with the software that you thought you were getting…and they don't tell you that. There are also some companies that charge you for the software downloads that will do the same thing. Even some computer manufacturers and retailers will preload app softwares on the computers they sell with Adwares and PUPs included (and, believe me, that is intentional on their part…I know since I used to work for Dell….Dell is not alone in doing this).

In addition to running an anti-virus deep scan, you might also want to consider downloading and running Malwarebytes (from malwarebytes.com) which is a very good program for identifying and removing Adwares and PUPs. It used to be that when you first download/install Malwarebytes you would be offered a free trial of the full program which I suggest taking advantage of. Once the free trial period is over you can decide whether to subscribe to it full time, to downgrade to their free version or to uninstall the program. And, no, they do not have Adware or PUPs in their downloads.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)