From Sweden?

Sverige
Sverige I do not have Quicken yet Member ✭✭
edited July 16 in Before you Buy

I live in Sweden and have used Quicken on the computer before.
Can I use Quicken now? I don't need to be connected to any bank.
When I tried to log in/pay there was a problem with both the phone number and zip code. I don't have a zip code.
Thanks
Ulla

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 7 Answer ✓

Hello @Sverige,

I have sent you a direct message. Please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

@Sverige Quicken Classic is still primarily a desktop computer program & doesn't work properly without a PC or Mac. There are are mobile apps that you can use in addition to the desktop app as well as a web version but those are intended as additional methods of working with your data, they don't take the place of the desktop Quicken program.

If you're looking for something that's entirely online, you'll need something like Quicken Simplifi instead.

As for what you're getting for your subscription money, you get

1. Online access to your data via mobile apps & the web.
    2. Downloads from your banks.
    3. Stock, bonds, and mutual fund price updates.
    4. For Deluxe or higher subscription levels, the ability to continue using Quicken manually after your subscription has ended.
    5. Tech support from Quicken.

Items 2 & 3 are probably of no use to you unless you have accounts in the US or Canada.

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

@Jon Quicken Simplifi, like Quicken's desktop software products, is sold only for the US and Canada. But since Simplifi is online-only, it may be impossible to use in Sweden. (Perhaps it could work with a VPN to the US.) But Simplifi is really built for downloading financial data, not manual entry like the desktop Quicken. I would not think Simplifi would be a good option for someone from Sweden.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 7 Answer ✓

Hello @Sverige,

I have sent you a direct message. Please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Sverige

Thanks for the information Anja.
    Since Quicken stopped being sold in Sweden, I have used the program Cash Organizer from Inesoft. Russian I think. There I was able to convert my quicken files.
    But now they have stopped upgrading and it feels quite unsafe in any case.
    So now for a follow-up question.
    Can I convert my Inesoft files back to Quicken? They are called .icd files.
    Thanks again
    Wool

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sverige Q can't read or import .icd files. Is there any other format that Cash Organizer can export?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sverige

I think this is the options in Cash Organizer.

Thank you

• Jon

If you export to QIF, Quicken will let you create a new Quicken file from that.

• jacobs
    edited June 10

If you export to QIF, Quicken will let you create a new Quicken file from that.

That's only if you are on Windows. Quicken Mac will not create a file from or import from a .QIF file. [Edited because my reply was incorrect.]

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9

If you are using Windows, I suggest you try the free version of Quicken 2013 which is completely offline, which might serve your needs. Or provided you can get the conversion to work at all (Quicken 2013 has just as much chance of doing that as the newest version) you can then upgrade to the newest version if you like from the Quicken 2013, but I don't think you will get much extra value since you can't use the online services.

Here is the link the Quicken 2013 install.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken/

And here is some information that might help in that conversion:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

As suggest in the above web page transfers are probably going to be one of the biggest problems.

Another would be the currency if you are using multiple currencies. If you are just using one currency, then be sure to set your home currency before doing anything else. With just one currency it shouldn't be a problem because QIF files just have numbers in them, no currency. The currency that the account is created in determines that, and if the home currency is set to yours, that will be the default.

You will find the preference for multiple currencies on Edit → Preferences → Calendar and currency

And once that is set you can go to Tools → Currency List to change the Home currency.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jon
    edited June 9

@jacobs It does if you're creating a brand new file (the only chance you get to import from QIF in QMac if I'm not mistaken):

Of course the usual caveats apply - no investment accounts and split transfers will be a mess.

• Sverige

Thanks everyone for your tips on Quicken 2013. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me, or I can't quite figure it out.
    Probably got too spoiled with online services, for better or for worse.
    I'm trying to test a subscription to Quicken.
    So I'll see if I can import the information I have.
    Will return to this fine forum when new questions arise.
    Thanks again
    Wool

• jacobs

@Jon Thanks for the correction. I don't know why it was in my head that Quicken Mac wouldn't import a QIF file. As usually I should have checked before posting.

• Chris_QPW

No matter which version of Quicken you get, you will not get online services. Quicken only supports US and Canadian financial institutions.

Signature:
  • Sverige

<

I know that I cannot connect to my Swedish bank.
    What I meant was that I don't have the program itself locally on the PC.
    Or maybe I have?
    Now I'm unsure. What do I pay for each month? To have the program updated?
    Sorry for perhaps obvious questions.
    As I wrote from the beginning, I have used Quicken in the past and really enjoy the program.

Thanks
    Ulla

• Jon
    Answer ✓

@Sverige Quicken Classic is still primarily a desktop computer program & doesn't work properly without a PC or Mac. There are are mobile apps that you can use in addition to the desktop app as well as a web version but those are intended as additional methods of working with your data, they don't take the place of the desktop Quicken program.

If you're looking for something that's entirely online, you'll need something like Quicken Simplifi instead.

As for what you're getting for your subscription money, you get

1. Online access to your data via mobile apps & the web.
    2. Downloads from your banks.
    3. Stock, bonds, and mutual fund price updates.
    4. For Deluxe or higher subscription levels, the ability to continue using Quicken manually after your subscription has ended.
    5. Tech support from Quicken.

Items 2 & 3 are probably of no use to you unless you have accounts in the US or Canada.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓

@Jon Quicken Simplifi, like Quicken's desktop software products, is sold only for the US and Canada. But since Simplifi is online-only, it may be impossible to use in Sweden. (Perhaps it could work with a VPN to the US.) But Simplifi is really built for downloading financial data, not manual entry like the desktop Quicken. I would not think Simplifi would be a good option for someone from Sweden.

• eqpu
    eqpu Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15

Quicken 2013. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me, or I can't quite figure it out.

I do not quite get this. If you install Quicken 2013 directly on a supported Windows OS (I presume all OS upto Windows 11 works) and start from scratch, what is there not to work.

When I say start from scratch, I mean there are no online services to use or import data from other software so you will enter each transaction manually from scratch by only manually referring or viewing transactions in whatever you are using right now or account statements at the very least.

Quicken 2012 Premier on Windows 11 Pro (Quicken User since Quicken 1998)

• Sverige

eqpu
    When I try to install the program, I am prompted to make changes to my PC that I do not understand. And therefore not comfortable with. For a more knowledgeable person, it wouldn't have been a problem.
    Thanks

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

That might be ok. What Windows OS do you have? I have an old solitaire game program that always asks me if I want to let it make changes to my computer everytime I run it. Although I have Quicken 2013 installed on my Windows 8.1 Desktop and Windows 10 laptop and it doesn't ask me. Is it when you are trying to install it or to open the 2013 program?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• eqpu
    eqpu Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15

When I try to install the program, I am prompted to make changes to my PC that I do not understand.

I feel that it is quite harmless.

What version of Windows are you using?

Are you installing as a non administrator user? Probably this might be the reason for the prompt.

As long as you obtain the copy of Quicken from the official Quicken support site, it should not pose any problem as per me.

I will suggest that if you have a spare computer, install and try it out on that first until you get comfortable. Then you can move to the real computer where you want to use it.

Quicken 2012 Premier on Windows 11 Pro (Quicken User since Quicken 1998)

• Chris_QPW

Depending on your Windows UAC settings Windows is always going to ask if an install program can make changes to your machine.

With the above setting I will always get notified if an "app" wants to "make changes", which is to say, do an install. Everyone should really have this setting at least this high. I think it might even be the default.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.