BindContent.Exe preventing Quicken from running

James Ryan
James Ryan Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I run an unusual configuration— Windows on ARM running under Parallels on a M3 MacBook Pro.

I have started receiving a UAC pop-up for BindContent.Exe— when I say “Yes” Quicken terminates almost immediately, when I say “No” Quicken loads but asks me for my Quicken.Com username and password every time.

I have been using this configuration (or some variant of it) for several years without issues, this is something that has been introduced recently.

I’m curious if anyone else is seeing something similar.

Thanks!
Jim

Best Answer

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Hello All,

We do now have an active alert regarding being unable to launch Quicken in Windows due to a BindContent Windows pop-up error. You can follow this link to access that alert where you can bookmark it for all further updates.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

Answers

• Jack's iMac
    Jack's iMac Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    edited September 21

Same here except when I answer "no" Quicken closes.

• Jack's iMac

I've been running Quicken Windows on a Mac under Parallels since 2012 and have never had issues before this.

• James Ryan

Thank you to the people reporting that they are seeing this as well— nice to know I’m not the only one.

Are you on Intel or Apple Silicon Macs? (I’m on Apple Silicon)
    Are your files local to the VM, on a Mac shared folder or a network folder? (Mine is in a Mac shared folder)
    What network type are you using? (I’m fairly sure I’m in bridge mode, but need to check)

I have reloaded both the OS and Quicken to resolve it, same behavior every time.

Jim

• Jack's iMac

Intel

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22

@James Ryan - Are you referring to "bindcontent.exe" as is shown in the title of your post? Are are you referring to "bincontent.exe" as you mentioned in the body of your post?

I googled both and found nothing of any consequence about "bincontent.exe" (mostly related to your post here).

There was also very little that came up about bindcontent.exe but I did come across this article from Comodo: https://file-intelligence.comodo.com/windows-process-virus-malware/exe/bindcontent. I'm no computer guru but the suggestion to run an anti-malware program to see if it is a virus file instead of the legitimate Intuit/Quicken file and remove it seems like a logical and safe step to take if that has not been done already, especially if that file is located outside of the Program Files directory.

Also, which version of QWin are you running?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Jack's iMac

Thank you for an excellent suggestion. I ran Malwarebytes on my Mac, Windows and the exe file specifically and no threats were detected. Also, I located the file in the program files directory and it's associated with Quicken:

• Boatnmaniac

What version of QWin are you running?

Did this start after your QWin installation version had been updated?

• Jack's iMac

I downloaded and reinstalled QWin Friday after first encountering this issue so it has to be the latest version. But since I always update when prompted I assume that it's the same version I was using Thursday when I had no issues.

• Boatnmaniac

Go to Help > About Quicken. What version does it show there?

When you downloaded and reinstalled QWin, did you first uninstall QWin or did you simply reinstall it over the the installed version?

• Jack's iMac

Since I'm unable to open Quicken, I cannot access the Help link on the toolbar. When I ran the install, it prompted me to delete the existing version before reinstalling the program.

• Jack's iMac

It shows a creation date of September 3rd.

• Boatnmaniac

Thanks for the clarification and additional confirmation. Based upon the 9/3 creation date I am assuming you downloaded and installed R58.9 since the current version (R58.14) did not go live until 9/6.

I have not heard of this issue with R58.9 so it is possible that this might be an issue with it not properly or completely installing. Or maybe the installation file you downloaded got corrupted somehow during the download process. None of these things happens very often but they sometimes do.

What you might want to do is uninstall Quicken. Then download and install a fresh copy of the full Quicken installation file from either your online Quicken.com account or from https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it/. . This should be the latest version (R58.14). If this bindcontent.exe issue is caused by one of the things mentioned in the previous paragraph, then doing this should resolve it.

• Jack's iMac
    edited September 22

Thank you for all of your help. Is there anything special I need to do to delete Quicken entirely? Also, the linked site is where I downloaded my current version. How can I ensure that I get R58.14?

• Jack's iMac

This time I uninstalled using the Windows Settings Uninstall. I then downloaded from the linked site. The issue remains. Both the Quicken and BindContent exe files are dated 9/3.

• James Ryan

Same here, I had the same issue after reinstalling both Windows and Quicken.

• Boatnmaniac

I found this older thread from 2019 where someone said what they did to resolve a blindcontent.exe issue: Re: "Bind Content" problem.

Maybe it will resolve the issue for you, too?

• Jack's iMac

Thanks for the help but I tried 2 different browsers and both return:

Permission Problem

You don't have permission to do that.

• Boatnmaniac

I guess I should have been more specific. The workaround is in the 2nd post in that thread, not in the 1st post. The 2nd post says:

I got around the BindContent problem by renaming the BindContent.exe file to BindContent.exe.old in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

If Quicken can't find the program, it ignores it.

• James Ryan

@Boatnmaniac I did that, and it asks for the Quicken.Com username and password on every run (no different than saying “no” on the UAC).

• Boatnmaniac
    edited September 22

Sorry to hear that. I was really hoping that it might have been a workable solution for you. At least it sounds like you should be able to open and run Quicken provided you enter your Quicken ID and PW even though it is inconvenient, right?

At this point I think it would be a good idea if you were to report this issue to Quicken. At a minimum, go to Help > Report A Problem. Give a description of the issue and copy the URL for this thread in the report you submit. You will not get a response but it will be helpful to the Quicken Development Team.

If you wish to talk with someone you can do online Chat or call Support during the listed hours of operation: https://www.quicken.com/support/#contact-support. . Scroll down the page to Contact Support. (If you are subscribed to Premier or Business & Personal, you will have a premium support phone number listed in your online Quicken.com account. It will put your phone call to the front of the queue.)

Also, hopefully someone else with additional insight or knowledge of this issue will pipe in here and offer some assistance.

• Jack's iMac

No, I still cannot open Quicken.

• Boatnmaniac

All the more reason to contact Quicken Support.

But one last thing comes to mind that you both might want to try doing: If this issue is caused by one of the recent R58.XX versions, you could try to down-rev your Quicken installation to a prior version where you did not experience this issue. To do this, go to https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has/ and click on the link of an earlier version (maybe one of the July 2024 versions?) to download and save the patch file you want. Then run the saved file. It should then down-rev your current installation.

Other than this, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Something for you both seems to have changed but there is almost nothing I found in my searches of Quicken Support, Quicken Community and the Internet and I have no experience with it. Perhaps the Quicken Support Team might have more insight into what is going on and how to resolve the issue.

• mikegrubbs
    mikegrubbs Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I too am having this issue, and Support has been unable to fix it.

• Jack's iMac

I just spent over an hour on the phone with support and it's been escalated to tier 3. I told the support rep that there were now 3 people experiencing this issue and he confirmed it. I'll keep you posted.

• Boatnmaniac

Great. I also posted in a Community group for Super Users asking if anyone there might be able to be of assistance and pipe in here.

I've also gotten a message from a Moderator acknowledging this thread and their team will be reviewing this issue as well.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels so that this can be further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation. Please make sure that you are submitting these files via Quicken for Windows on Parallel.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Jack's iMac

Jasmine, thanks for responding to this thread. I have a related question that perhaps you can answer or contact Quicken for an answer. Many times when I experience a support issue that requires escalation, they have me remain on the phone with them for over an hour while they go back and forth on their end with a highter support team. Not only does it tie me up, it also ties up their person who could be assisting other customers with problems. Why don't / can't they implement some type of follow up system where they can email me when they have actually had a chance to either resolve the issue or at a point where direct communication is needed?

• Jack's iMac

Just got off the phone after another 50 minutes mostly on hold and was asked if I would consider upgrading to Windows 11. I found this unusual since all of the other Quicken reps I've spoken with advised against that. The ONLY reason I run Windows under Parallels is to use Quicken for Windows. Despite offering a Mac version I've always believed it to be inferior to the Windows version. I find this strange. If others have thoughts on this, please respond.

• Boatnmaniac

@Jack's iMac - What version of Windows are you currently running?

I don't understand why any Quicken rep would advise against upgrading to Win 11. Win 11 is fully supported by Quicken and I believe most QWin users are likely now running Win 11. I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11 about 2 yrs ago and have found it to be a very good version that has worked quite well with QWin. Did those Quicken folks give you any reason(s) why they advised against upgrading to Win 11?

BTW, if you are running Win 8.0 or earlier it is entirely possible that could be contributing this problem. Quicken Inc does not support these EOLd Win versions so when they do QWin version updates it is quite likely that they do no testing of those updates with the EOLd Win versions. That opens the risk that Quicken might at some point make a change to QWin software that is not compatible with those EOLd Win versions.

IMHO, anyone not currently running Windows 10 or 11 should seriously consider upgrading to Win 11. (I would not recommend upgrading to Win 10 simply because MS will discontinue support for it in Oct 2025….just a year from now. Win 10 is a good version, too, but why upgrade to Win 10 now just to upgrade to Win 11 in another year?)