Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.2 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken for Mac 2016, 3.5.2 Release Showing all my USAA Accounts as "dead".

Is anyone else having issues with 3.5.2 causing all of their USAA accounts to show up as "dead" when they attempt to update accounts?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't add account at USAA.

I have Quicken for MAC 2016 edition 3.5.2. I am able to download transactions from a variety of institutions, one being USAA Federal Savings Bank. I've been trying to add a new credit card account at USAA and enter username, password, and pin, and answer a security question. After some time I get the message, "Quicken encountered an error while communicating with our servers." Any suggestions how to overcome this?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I've seen a few comments from individuals having issues with the new reconcile feature in the 3.5.2 update - which at the moment is the problem I am having. In attempting to reconcile my checking account, I chose the option to manually enter the data from the paper statement - i.e., the previous statement end balance, the current statement end date and end balance. After clicking Next, Quicken automatically compares the manually entered balance to an "Online Balance" based on the entered statement end date. The Quicken derived online balance, however, is $200 off. To verify, I went to my account online. The paper statement balance matches the bank's online balance for that date. I am very hesitant to have Quicken adjust the end balance without knowing what caused the discrepancy to begin with.

All of my previous reconcile efforts in Quicken have balanced without fail. Why couldn't Quicken just leave well enough alone? I am not a fan of the new reconcile feature. It is not so much more accurate, as it is more of a pain in the ****. They've taken all the ease out of reconciling an account and have made it a frustrating, time consuming chore.

I agree. It has been made much more difficult to reconcile. It's so very frustrating. I just want this problem fixed. It should be fixed because we want it fixed. It shouldn't cause us to have to dig into old files and take hours to resolve our problems.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When looking at the daily balance in the calendar view, if I look more than one month ahead the balances are incorrect, and actually change when I switch months.

For instance, right now (8/28) I can move forward to September and all balances appear correct.

While looking at the September calendar, I then look at the balance for October 1st, and it shows a particular balance.  I then click forward to display the October calendar, and the October 1st balance is now different than what it was just showing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

When will it be out? Will it let us set the prior balance in the window to agree with our calculated balance for Reconciling? That's the dilemma for me. My balance was always perfect til 3.51 which created a balance I couldn't change

Just tried to use new updated Quicken for Mac to reconcile checking account. This is awful. All I want to do is reconcile my account with my bank statement the old fashioned way. I can't figure this thing out . Neither reconciling to some past balance online nor the reconcile with a statement function works. How do I go back to the old version? Anyone know if you can migrate Quicken data to CheckBook software?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Steve K said:

It might be helpful if Quicken hosted a quick webinar to talk through their thinking and philosophy on the new reconcile functionality.  It seems different enough that walking through the thinking behind it and the intent might help us use it better, and well as their suggested use model.  I'd attend.

I reconciled my checking account without problems since 2011. Now when I go to reconcile to past quicken balances it says I have a $40,000 discrepancy. All I want is to be able to reconcile like I always have with a bank statement. I never had errors. I would be happy to just get back to v3.4.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Steve K said:

It might be helpful if Quicken hosted a quick webinar to talk through their thinking and philosophy on the new reconcile functionality.  It seems different enough that walking through the thinking behind it and the intent might help us use it better, and well as their suggested use model.  I'd attend.

AMEN! AMEN! AND AMEN!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    FDM2 said:

Among all of these problems, some of which I initially had with 3.5.1 & 2, I am now up and running with full capability again. I'm a little wary of the new reconcile methods--I had made peace with the old one--but I'm not having the problems others are having. I did have to reconnect some of my accounts after 3.5.1 in order to get Direct Connect working again, but like many others I was missing the fact that the feature was hidden behind an innocuous OPTIONS button. That was the trick. However, after stumbling through reconnecting all of my direct accounts, I found that to of my accounts were activated for infra-bank transfers. It works! So maybe there's hope for others...

Upgrading should not cause us to have all of these multiple problems that would, in turn, cause us to have to worker harder.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

Just updated to 3.5.2 and had to rebuild all the parameter for my accounts.  Some I had hidden and wasn't using.  What a pain! 

I am having the same problem.  All closed accounts with $0 balances are back.  I have quite a few of those that I need to go re-hide.  Pain.  Also, one of my bank accounts is screwed up ... all other synced accounts are fine except this one and I now have an $11,000 reconciling issue to figure out going back in time way too far!  Not cool.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

When will it be out? Will it let us set the prior balance in the window to agree with our calculated balance for Reconciling? That's the dilemma for me. My balance was always perfect til 3.51 which created a balance I couldn't change

Bill,

I was able to go back to 3.5.1 by using a Time Machine backup; AND going back to a data file from before I did the 3.5.2 update. So far I've only reconciled one new account (no previous months), but it seems to be working. Next I will reconcile my least used checking account to find out if that works.

If not, and if Quicken doesn't come up with a fix VERY soon, I will try out one of the Quicken alternatives.

Harry
  • alfried3
    alfried3 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Since downloading the latest update for Quicken 2016 for Mac (3.5.2), I cannot do....

New transactions from my Chase account will not download since the latest update to 3.5.2, Quicken 2016 for Mac. I have restarted Quicken, restarted my computer, deactivated downloads and reactivated, restarted my computer again.....nothing works. Note, this seems to happen EVERY time there is an update. I HATE THIS.

I have the same download problems with Wells Fargo. In ten years, never had an issue with any of the Windows versions.  Sure does become frustrating
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Steve K said:

I've had two reconciliation problems so far...in both cases, it was with a checking account that I'd previously reconciled — to the penny — prior to the 3.5.2 upgrade. When I reconciled the the account against its next statement, I chose to reconcile against a paper statement. I supplied the ending balance of the paper statement. And now, the calculated balance (before checking any of the reconcile checkboxes in the reconcile window) is exactly $3 off. After racking my brains by manually comparing the prior old paper statement against the reconciled line items in Quicken, I gave up and said, what the heck, I'll just add the $3 reconciliation line item.

Ok, fine, the reconciled balance now matches the paper balance. On to the next month, and then the next (reconciling against paper balances each time). And on the third month, when I get to the end, it's $0.37 off. I checked all of the debits and credits in Quicken, and they all match what's on paper. So, somehow the starting balance stored in Quicken lost $0.37.

Marcus, so here's the interesting part: if I sort the checking register by the (Clr) column, after the last entry for the date corresponding to the end of my statement, the register balance EXACTLY matches the month-end value on my paper statement. Obviously, that's great. However, if I scroll backwards in Quicken, the balance for the month-end for the previous month is ~$700 off what it should be. Meaning, I can't scroll backwards in time and find a register balance that matches the statement.

My working hypothesis about the bug is that because of timing effects for some transactions, you can't simply add and subtract items marked reconciled and hope to match a paper statement, and that doing so is a flaw. For example: suppose (as happens), I write a check on March 15th, but it isn't cashed by the payee until May 28th. Suppose also I entered the check on the date I actually paid it (on March 15th).

Compare this to how the logic in Quicken 2008 seemed to work... each reconciled transaction appeared to be tagged to a reconciliation batch. If there was a discrepancy you could look at previous reconciliation batches and see where it was introduced. That always worked well for me.
  • Adrian Lustig
    Adrian Lustig Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Is there a bug in the reconcile feature for Mac 2016 v3.5.2.  It is not properly adding up the difference between my statement balance and my register.  Quicken adds the alleged online balance with the statement balance and gives incorrect info.  Everything is balanced, except quicken does not seem to realize that
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thank you for that idea. I'm going to do that.
  • Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Steve K said:

If you have your paper statements, go back in time and see when your quicken register does match paper statement ending balance. My guess is that you have duplicates that have downloaded and when you go back say 6 months or 12 months and find that it balances and then go forward, you may find a statement that doesn't, and review that one for duplicates and fix that statement time period., And go forward until present.
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have been paying bills successfully with 3.5.2 since it came out until today.  The scenario is I had a scheduled transaction set up which I marked pay on next update.  I then attempted to pay it by selecting Accounts, Update Selected Online Account.  The transaction showed up in the box that appears but was not paid when I continued.  The orange envelope remained.  I tried selecting update all accounts, clicked circular arrow in lower left corner, it was again not paid.  A new error box began showing up saying Error Recovery Your last request to SunTrust Bank may not have completed successfully.  Quicken will check the status of that request first.  Tried to edit the transaction and selected Pay Now, it did not pay the bill and the Error Recovery alert showed up again.  Again all these payment methods have been working fine with 3.5.2.  What I realized I did differently this time was after selecting Pay on next update I went into Window, Payees, and changed the zip code of the payee.  After deleting this scheduled payment, reentered it, selected Pay on next update, it was payed successfully.  FYI Quicken Team 3.5.2 in my opinion is showing progress in the mac community, good job.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Steve K said:

I'm having a problem reconciling my checking account also.  Regardless of whether I use "Use Online Balance" or "Use Statement Balance" it shows -$525.  There are uncleared items that I've never seen before.  Even if I do click on each item to clear them, there is still a discrepancy.  I've made reconciling mistakes in the past, but I've been able to back-track [manually] and find the mistake.  However, I have never had a discrepancy this large.

I liked the ability to reconcile manually.  I used to be able to input a "Begining Statement Date", "Ending Statement Date", "Begining Statement Balance" and "Ending Statement Balance", and then compare that each transaction in the Quicken register matches those on my statements, but I can't seem to do this anymore.  I'd like to request to have this feature returned in the next version/upgrade.

I have no idea how the software is calculating the balances I'm seeing.  Furthermore, the balances the software is coming up with do not reflect what shows on my statements and I can't seem to do anything about it.  I use a computer to help me perform tasks better and more efficiently, not to do the work for me.  I want the ability to reconcile manually returned in the next version of Quicken, please.  Thank you.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Just downloaded. I had hoped it would fix a problem where one of my Chase accounts will not download, but there is no change. Account Status still shows the account as never having completed a download even after going through the set up that works for several other checking, savings and credit card accounts at Chase.

Disappointed because I previously wasted 2 hours with tech support (waiting forever and then talking with screen share). I have tried both phone and chat support and both have involved hour waits. I did get some issues fixed, but not this one. The last tech was worthless. Had me going around in circles and then cut me off without notice when they reached their 5 pm (Pacific Time) ending time. Had the nerve to mark the issue "solved"!!!

I just tried to reconcile my latest statement and quicken opened the page with August 2013 and all the fields were empty. This is really bad.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

Just updated to 3.5.2 and had to rebuild all the parameter for my accounts.  Some I had hidden and wasn't using.  What a pain! 

Same problem--I restored from a backup and now my cloud data is all messed up, so tried to reset it and it gets stuck on "checking for new accounts"  Won't even time out. So now I can't update my transactions and have no cloud data for my iphone app.  My Quicken 2016 for Mac is now unuseable.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mack58 said:

Jennie I had to go in to each of my accounts and deactivate and reactivate all online services to get mine to work again. It was a pain but it seemed to work and I am now getting dowmloads. I also reconciled all of my accounts before I did it to make sure I kept the data and that worked as well.

Having same problem.  It would be helpful if Quicken put a release to undo 3.5.2.
  • Charles Raines
    Charles Raines Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Transactions entered with incorrect date.

Today I discovered a trap that caused me some minor grief before realizing what was causing it. During my last session, I had been viewing checking transactions from Last Year. I quit Quicken without changing the transaction window back to This Year. When I returned to Quicken the following day, I clicked on New and began entering transactions. All were entered on the last day of last year.  I think when one clicks New, the transaction date should appear as the current date regardless of which screen one happens to be viewing.  Mac 2016 v 3.5.2   
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Update stuck at "Checking for New Accounts".

Just downloaded 3.5.2 and went to update all my account transactions and it gets stuck at "checking for new accounts"  Reset mobile data, restored from backup, turned off mobile data and it still gets stuck on "checking for new accounts" (even overnight).  Something is broken.  How do I fix it?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Steve K said:

I have used Quicken for a LONG time--20 years?  I reconcile my accounts with the bank statements (and manually enter my transactions). Never have I had the problems I've had with recent releases. Today, it takes me back to 2014 to reconcile--what happened to the reconcile I did last month?  It only shows me transactions within the date range on the statement, but my dates on the checks/deposits don't always coincide with the statement dates, but I can't see the other transactions to check them off.  Please fix the reconcile!
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

The same thing happened to me on 8/29/2016 and I discovered there was an update for my iPhone 6+. I did that plus shut down my Mac and restarted and the iCloud dilemma was resolved. I had been working on that issue for two days with Quicken. Stuck on downloading from Bank... 

I still am missing all my old transactions though on two USAA Checking accounts. They only go back to June 2016. So no way to ever retrieve for reports...
  • Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

Trying to be positive here, but I fail to understand how someone can loose data prior to a certain date. I am anal. I backup Quicken Data, using the menu option, before doing anything major/minor. I also know if you go to finder and choose "Go" you will see a list of choices and you then touch the "OPTION" key, those options will also include "LIBRARY"  --> Application Support --> Quicken 2016 and there is my Quicken 2016 DATA File.

I can't tell you how many Folders I have dated with the Data File and or Backup File stored in the last years.

If you try something major always have a backup.

And If you are changing from Quicken Connect to Direct Connect or visa versa, make sure to DEACTIVATE account first.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mack58 said:

Jennie I had to go in to each of my accounts and deactivate and reactivate all online services to get mine to work again. It was a pain but it seemed to work and I am now getting dowmloads. I also reconciled all of my accounts before I did it to make sure I kept the data and that worked as well.

I did call Quicken help and they were very helpful in getting it resolved.  Not too long of a wait, but it did take a while to fix, so make sure you've got some time to commit before you call.  Everything is working fine now with this issue, though I also have some beefs with reconcile, like many others, and some of my data (budget) didn't migrate back over when I had to restore a backup.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

The point is not backing up. The point that I made was that the reconciliation feature, which has changed, is messed up. I backed up my data prior to updating the program. My back up is worthless since the new version still has the reconciliation process that loses transactions and shows me that I am off by $45,412.03.
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

I thank you for the instructions, Tom. I did find my backup but the old transactions were still missing from the two checking accounts. If only I had the previous version of Quicken all would be fine. BTW, the backup was from August 3, 2016- prior to my doing the Quicken Update, I believe.
  • Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

I saved a copy of 3.4.1 app and the Data at the time, would be glad to put it in Dropbox link if u would like
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

That would be fabulous, Tom! Do you need my e-mail address? Thank you in advance!!
This discussion has been closed.