Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.2 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Jeffrey Newman
    Jeffrey Newman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am EXTREMELY frustrated since the 3.5.2 update for Quicken 2016. While reconciling my BOA checking account kept being an issue unlike ever before, it is the downloading of duplicate transactions going back several months for all accounts (checking, savings, CCs) regardless of Direct or Quicken Connect connections that is the most irritating. I have spent hours trying to fix this myself and with tech support to no avail. Last night after a 2 hour chat session the agent considered my case resolved. Her resolution? Manually delete all the duplicate transactions. Really?! That'd be great if she was willing to take the hours it will take to do so and ensure that every account is reconciled and that the error won't keep occurring. This is obviously correlated to the update since the error only started happening after the update and the fact it is impacting all accounts. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

When will it be out? Will it let us set the prior balance in the window to agree with our calculated balance for Reconciling? That's the dilemma for me. My balance was always perfect til 3.51 which created a balance I couldn't change

The new reconcile is a nightmare!  What used to take 10 minutes has taken me at least 8 hours - 6 of which were holding on tech support phone and time with tech.  Even the techs can't figure it out.  Why did you ruin something that already worked well.  Bring back the manual function.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

When will it be out? Will it let us set the prior balance in the window to agree with our calculated balance for Reconciling? That's the dilemma for me. My balance was always perfect til 3.51 which created a balance I couldn't change

AMEN! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Well, to be fair, the old reconcile had its share of problems for many users. There were many, many support questions posted on this forum about it. So I think they were trying to improve the reconcile experience -- they just underestimated how many people had adjustments or reconcile issues buried in their data in which would cause problems when switching to the new scheme. (If everyone could magically get properly reconciled up-to-date, I don't think there would be problems with the current approach going forward.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

All I know is I wasn't having any problems before. Now, I am. I simply cannot reconcile at all now.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Just installed 3.5.2 update and now accounts that have been hidden for past 10 years are now visible. What a mess! The release notes mentioned something about fixing a bug in this area, but you've clearly created a mess for me, and probably others. My only option now is to manually go through dozens of old accounts and re-hide them.

I've been a Quicken user since 1992. Deeply regretting switching from the Windows to the 2016 Mac version this past year...it's been horrible, now it's too late to go back. Please get your act together Inuit! Are you even testing these patches?

@jacobs   I too do what you suggest, don't update until it's been out for a while. I take it a step further. I make sure I have a path back to the old version first (eg. archive/compress the old version and back up the database). And if the forums are blowing up over a release as they are with these recent ones, when I do update, I run the old and new versions in parallel for a few days before totally switching over.

But... now I think we blew it by posting this. If everyone follows this advise, there won't be any "other" users to be the guinea pigs. :-)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Just downloaded. I had hoped it would fix a problem where one of my Chase accounts will not download, but there is no change. Account Status still shows the account as never having completed a download even after going through the set up that works for several other checking, savings and credit card accounts at Chase.

Disappointed because I previously wasted 2 hours with tech support (waiting forever and then talking with screen share). I have tried both phone and chat support and both have involved hour waits. I did get some issues fixed, but not this one. The last tech was worthless. Had me going around in circles and then cut me off without notice when they reached their 5 pm (Pacific Time) ending time. Had the nerve to mark the issue "solved"!!!

I would check again to see if QM can connect today. I am connecting to Chase and my other accounts today. I still have one account that doesn't connect correctly, but this predates 3.5.2. All my accounts are set to "Quicken Connect". I'm not sure if I should try Direct Connect for the problem account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I think my datafile could easily just prove this, Jacobs. I just started using Quicken Mac 2016 this year, manually entering everything. All accounts reconciled perfectly except for one very small difference (where I manually entered a balance correction).

After the 3.5.2 update, I started reconciling with my least used checking account. The "differences" that Quicken fines bear no relationship to anything in this file. I started out with two months to reconcile. The first one I was able to reconcile After clearing my opening balance entry (which previously had to be left in checked In order to reconcile). When I did the next month, which only had two transactions, quick and pick him up with the difference of over $1000.

At this point I have gone back to 3.5.1 but I'm still having this problem. I had restored a back up that I thought Was from prior to the update and the problem persists. If going back to an even earlier datafile does not solve this I am ready to abandon Quicken. At this point I have spent more time dealing with this problem then I would with a paper and pencil ledger.
  • Steve K
    Steve K Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It might be helpful if Quicken hosted a quick webinar to talk through their thinking and philosophy on the new reconcile functionality.  It seems different enough that walking through the thinking behind it and the intent might help us use it better, and well as their suggested use model.  I'd attend.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Steve K said:

It might be helpful if Quicken hosted a quick webinar to talk through their thinking and philosophy on the new reconcile functionality.  It seems different enough that walking through the thinking behind it and the intent might help us use it better, and well as their suggested use model.  I'd attend.

This seems like a good idea, but I'd like to take it even further. I'm thinking of a math test where you have to show your work. So, when I'm reconciling two months in a row (I know, I know), the first month balances and the second month has only two transactions and Quicken shows a Difference of $1,007.34, I'd like to see how they got there on a checking account with only seven months of data.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I used Dictate for this post and didn't proofread well enough. What I meant in the first sentence was "I think my data file could easily DISPROVE this. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

Just updated to 3.5.2 and had to rebuild all the parameter for my accounts.  Some I had hidden and wasn't using.  What a pain! 

Every account I have ever had is showing up and I have gone in and asked to hide them and they still show up. I backed up and then deleted old accounts that had no links to any current accounts and I confirmed they were reconciled to zero balance. That seems to keep them from pulling in wrong balances. However, I noticed that Mobile Services still shows the accounts and will not allow me to turn it off completely. Something is going on with Mobile I think and when I reset it is not updating all the work I have done with each account and resetting the HIDE feature. But if you delete old accounts without links to current accounts they will go away from the list but cannot be hidden.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

TO QUICKENJACOB:

I'd be happy to work directly with you on the reconcile problems. I don't use any form of downloading, and my files are only about five months old. In March I manually entered data going back to 12/15/15 (close date of my last statement from my bank). Since then i have added some credit card accounts opened this year.

So I think my case eliminates several variables and could make troubleshooting much easier. Please contact me if you want to take me up on this. I really don't want to abandon Quicken if I don't have to.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting any of my transactions to download from any financial institution since I updated to the 3.5.2 release.  I click on the update button (doesn't matter which account I choose, which financial institution it links to, or if I do them one at a time or all together) and I get the spin wheel and the program stops responding.  Wait for a while, force quit, restart, try again, same thing.  Rinse, repeat.  Anyone else having this problem or ideas for how to fix?  Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Jennie I had to go in to each of my accounts and deactivate and reactivate all online services to get mine to work again. It was a pain but it seemed to work and I am now getting dowmloads. I also reconciled all of my accounts before I did it to make sure I kept the data and that worked as well.
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Since updating my Mac Quicken to 3.5.2 I also have had hidden accounts of yesteryear reappear. I resolved that but the worst situation is not being able to access old transactions on some of my checking accounts any further back than July 2016. One is a business account and I shall not be able to have an end-of-the-year report to help me with my taxes.

Other accounts retained all the transactions from the very beginning of time. I tried downloading again and again to no avail. It makes no sense to me. HELP!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I am EXTREMELY frustrated since the 3.5.2 update for Quicken 2016. While reconciling my BOA checking account kept being an issue unlike ever before, it is the downloading of duplicate transactions going back several months for all accounts (checking, savings, CCs) regardless of Direct or Quicken Connect connections that is the most irritating. I have spent hours trying to fix this myself and with tech support to no avail. Last night after a 2 hour chat session the agent considered my case resolved. Her resolution? Manually delete all the duplicate transactions. Really?! That'd be great if she was willing to take the hours it will take to do so and ensure that every account is reconciled and that the error won't keep occurring. This is obviously correlated to the update since the error only started happening after the update and the fact it is impacting all accounts. 

Hi Jeffrey, we apologize for the experience with the duplicate transactions. If you're willing to send us your application logs to help troubleshoot this issue, I can reach out to you offline.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mack58 said:

Jennie I had to go in to each of my accounts and deactivate and reactivate all online services to get mine to work again. It was a pain but it seemed to work and I am now getting dowmloads. I also reconciled all of my accounts before I did it to make sure I kept the data and that worked as well.

Thanks for the reply.  I just tried that, but I get the same problem...spin wheel, stop responding, and have to force quit.  I even left my computer up for an hour or so  to see if the spin wheel would ever resolve and it didn't.  Did you have this experience when re-setting online connection?  If not, can anyone else help?  Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mack58 said:

I even just tried to manually download and import the transactions but got the exact same issue.  Seems to just have problems bringing in external transactions or connecting with external data source, but as of now, no other issues with software
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mack58 said:

I just called quicken support and even though I bought the software very recently, and the problem I'm having started after the most recent download today, the guy I was speaking with started trying to sell me one, five, or ten year support packages.  I got really uncomfortable because he was sharing my screen, had access to my financial data, and then he started trying to sell me something.  He could have easily checked my quicken account to see if I'm eligible for any kind of support before accessing my data.  I'm very very very unsettled by this interaction, so if someone from quicken could weigh in here to tell me why I would have to pay for support when the issue is so clearly with the update (I cannot bring in ANY external data from any source, be it an online connection, importing a file that a bank created or a file that I created) and when the software is less than two months old to begin with.  And more than that, why he requested a screen share before he told me I might have to pay for the support.  

I looked online about the legitimacy of Quicken support and found a lot of discussion about scams.  I know you can't believe everything you read online, but that plus my interaction has really troubled me.
  • Jeffrey Newman
    Jeffrey Newman Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

How would I do that and what is included in the application logs?
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Since updating my Mac Quicken to 3.5.2 I also have had hidden accounts of yesteryear reappear. I resolved that but the worst situation is not being able to access old transactions on some of my checking accounts any further back than July 2016. One is a business account and I shall not be able to have an end-of-the-year report to help me with my taxes.

Other accounts retained all the transactions from the very beginning of time. I tried downloading again and again to no avail. It makes no sense to me. HELP!!!

Susan, Possibly there is a filter accidentally turned on for that account.  Were you upgrading from 3.4 to 3.5.2 or from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2?  I ask because there is a database migration from 3.4 to 3.5.2 and that's a bigger change where it might be possible something happened but upgrading from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2 wouldn't have any database changes and therefore an even lower risk of data loss.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Steve K said:

We're working with a bunch of people directly to see if we can get to the root issue or a common error but haven't found one yet.  Once we figure out a common theme then I think we can pull something together like a video or possibly a webinar.  The math is very simple.  The new reconcile now works like your checkbook.  We add up all reconciled transactions to get your starting balance.  You can see this by adding the Clr column to your register and then sorting by reconciled transactions by clicking on the header of the Clr column.  The running balance at the last reconciled transaction in that view will equal the opening balance in the reconcile screen.  We've been working on this feature for 3 months.  We do not believe there are any math errors.  If the numbers aren't adding up then there must be reconciled transactions that are incorrectly marked or unreconciled transactions that should be marked in the data set that were not exposed by the old reconcile which is why we changed it.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

Just received some information from a customer, Chris, who may have figured out the root cause of the problem people are running into with reconcile.  When one sets up their accounts for the first time we add an opening balance that is dynamic and changes based on transactions entered.  If the user adds transactions that are earlier than the 1st download date then the opening balance adjusts.  For later transactions it shouldn't change.  For some reason Chris says his opening balance is changing after each download for a couple of his accounts which in turn is throwing off his reconcile balance.  He simply deleted the opening balance adjustment and manually entered it and it seems to be working for him.  Anyway, there's still more exploration our team needs to do to confirm if this is indeed the main culprit but wanted to get this potential issue and resolution out to the community.  Not sure if this is the main problem but wanted to let people know as soon as I had something.   If you investigate and find that it is the same issue you're running into please report back to the forum.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Marcus,
    I don't think that is the main culprit, since I don't have any accounts set up to download and I am having a problem with reconcile.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

@Harry Corsover... Marcus didn't say anything about the account having to have been set up for download. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Just installed 3.5.2 update and now accounts that have been hidden for past 10 years are now visible. What a mess! The release notes mentioned something about fixing a bug in this area, but you've clearly created a mess for me, and probably others. My only option now is to manually go through dozens of old accounts and re-hide them.

I've been a Quicken user since 1992. Deeply regretting switching from the Windows to the 2016 Mac version this past year...it's been horrible, now it's too late to go back. Please get your act together Inuit! Are you even testing these patches?

Ha Ha! I wouldn't worry; there will ALWAYS be people who update software the moment a new version is available.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Steve K said:

Would it be possible that something could be created to put us back where we were as far as being able to manually do what we do as before? (I mean another upgrade.) This has caused too many issues for me with reconciling. I never had an issue before. Everything came out right. Now, I'm at a standstill.
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

Marcus- I always am updated and think it was 3.5.1 prior to this newest one. There is no way, other than my memory, to know what I upgraded from- correct?
    Regarding the account that now lacks history, I will look to see about filters being turned on. I know nothing about it but will try to see... Thank you.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Re. 3.5.2.  I have encountered a bug in the program.  My credit card registers a positive balance.  When you look at the Balance Sheet the balance for the Citi credit card is positive instead of negative.  After further review, the Quicken credit account page reports the credit card credit balance, the online balance and then balance.  Whenever there is a charge downloaded it decreases the credit card balance???????  It appears that the "balance" reported is the balance of the remaining credit line rather than the "balance" accruing as you make charges.  How is this corrected?
This discussion has been closed.