Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.2 Discussion

Options

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    caron said:

I updated yesterday and now I cannot update my Chase and American Express accounts. Please let me know when this will be resolved and/or how I can resolve it.

I have my Chase and Amex cards set to connect via Direct Connect. If you are using Quicken Connect, changing them to Direct Connect may help. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled QM16 v 3.5.2 Reconcile Issues.

Having issues with updated reconciliation process.  When balancing against statement, in new reconcile window Quicken is properly listing cleared items and shows proper balance, but when pressing "finish" items that where uncleared but within the statement date are now "reconciled" and throughs new reconciled balance off.  Happened on both checking accounts and charge card accounts.  Needed to go back to version prior to 3.5.1 update

Harry, I'm an "old school" guy like you, who enters everything manually. But the issue here is that Quicken is essentially telling you there is something wrong sometime in the past in your Quicken file. It could be a mistake you made; it could be something that was messed up in your old data file, or something messed up during the conversion to Quicken 2015/16. (If you used Quicken 2007 and earlier, data corruption was not infrequent, but it wasn't always evident.) Nonetheless, what Quicken is telling you is that when it adds up all the transactions in your account since the beginning of time, something is off.

Saying you will never upgrade Quicken again if they don't "fix" what is actually a problem in your data file is a case of biting off your nose to spite your face.

That said, there are several reasonable solutions to the situation. The first thing I'd suggest is looking back to the earliest date in the account you are reconciling to make sure Quicken didn't put in a placeholder adjustment transaction. That happened to many people when they converted to 2015/2016 even though they didn't realize that's how Quicken was adjusting to current user-entered or bank-supplied balance amounts. For some people, simply finding and deleting such a balance adjustment solves the problem with reconciliation being off.

If that's not the issue, then you have two choices. One is to go back in time to find where your reconciliation is off. If you have your old statements handy, you can try jumping back a year or two at a time, and then zeroing in forward or backward until you find whatever month or months are off. But most people aren't going to be interested in doing that much work, and/or don't have the old statements available, so Quicken gives you an easy way out: click the Gear at the top of the reconcile window, and select Fresh Start from the drop-down menu. This will simply mark every transaction prior to the start date you've entered as reconciled. For most people, this will pass a magic wand over whatever this issue is in the past and set you on your way forward.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Just downloaded. I had hoped it would fix a problem where one of my Chase accounts will not download, but there is no change. Account Status still shows the account as never having completed a download even after going through the set up that works for several other checking, savings and credit card accounts at Chase.

Disappointed because I previously wasted 2 hours with tech support (waiting forever and then talking with screen share). I have tried both phone and chat support and both have involved hour waits. I did get some issues fixed, but not this one. The last tech was worthless. Had me going around in circles and then cut me off without notice when they reached their 5 pm (Pacific Time) ending time. Had the nerve to mark the issue "solved"!!!

All 3 of my Chase accounts get "Download Error (106) Account not found (OK)".  Accts at other institutions updated successfully.  I've gone online and verified that I can access the accounts directly. 
  • rangersix
    rangersix Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My Chase account went bad also. I changed from Quicken Connect to Direct Connect. That fixed the problem of far.
  • Val Anne Beth Welch
    Val Anne Beth Welch Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

I updated yesterday and now I cannot update my Chase and American Express accounts. Please let me know when this will be resolved and/or how I can resolve it.

Someone please tell me how I can find the option to "direct connect". When I click the button, "change connection type", I am never given the option to direct connect....how do I find it?
  • rangersix
    rangersix Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

Go to the chase account or whatever.Then tap the gear in the bottom right hand corner. Then hit change connection type. Then hit options in lower right hand corner. It should be there.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    caron said:

Direct Connect is only available from the banks and financial institutions that choose to offer it for Quicken users -- not all do. Post back with the exact name of your financial institution to see if others can confirm whether they do or don't offer Direct Connect.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Val Anne Beth Welch
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

This morning a new thing is happening. Yesterday, Quicken would connect to Chase (or looked like it was) and my account wouldn't download new transactions. Today, I now get "download error 106 Account Not Found". Then I try to setup my account again and I'm not able to do that now because it won't connect to Chase at ALL.
  • marc
    marc Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Just downloaded. I had hoped it would fix a problem where one of my Chase accounts will not download, but there is no change. Account Status still shows the account as never having completed a download even after going through the set up that works for several other checking, savings and credit card accounts at Chase.

Disappointed because I previously wasted 2 hours with tech support (waiting forever and then talking with screen share). I have tried both phone and chat support and both have involved hour waits. I did get some issues fixed, but not this one. The last tech was worthless. Had me going around in circles and then cut me off without notice when they reached their 5 pm (Pacific Time) ending time. Had the nerve to mark the issue "solved"!!!

After update to 3.5.2 can not download my transactions from my two Chase credit card account too. 
  • Val Anne Beth Welch
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

@rangersix, when I hit "change connection type" it takes me immediately to the account setup screen. There is no option to choose "direct connect" that I can see.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Now I am getting connection successful to my Bank but nothing is downloaded or updated.  Additionally I am not getting the Chase credit card error which I did not get earlier.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

I was getting the exact same error this morning on 3 chase accounts - one is checking another is a MM and a Chase Visa.  I started with my checking account and was able to change it from Quicken Connect to Direct Connect.  Chase then sent a message to Quicken saying I had to verify my identity so I went online to Chase to the message center and followed their instructions.  After that I was able to change each account separately to Direct Connect.  

After you choose Chance Connection type and it gives you the list of financial institutions, click the Option button at the bottom right and it will give the the different connection types to choose from.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

When you get to that screen hit the OPTION button.
  • marc
    marc Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

I have Chase Visa accounts, but unable to change connection to Direct connect as it is greyed out.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    caron said:

Same experience as Marc
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

After updating and fixing the hidden account mess I successfully connected to all of my active accounts, including Chase. Today my Chase accounts are "not found". Something in the update is not playing well with the servers.
  • marc
    marc Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

Exact same thing. Updated yesterday, fixed hidden accounts, had no errors connecting to all my accounts, though there were no dowloads. This morning both Chase Visa accounts were "not found" or "deleted" - dont remember exact, but I think it was rather the latter. Re-setup one of my account, was getting intermittent Error code 101, then suddenly both account connected, but there are no downloads even though I can see them on the Chase Website. Again, the connection is Quicken Connect as the Direct connect is greyed out.
  • Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Vsa Online Balance off by $140 after 3.4.1--> 3.5.2.

Visa Online Balance and Todays balance should be the same, right? I go online to VISA and I can see the amount that is the online balance. The online balance in Quicken Desktop matches what the VISA Website says. But my quicken register says todays balance is $140 higher. So online downloaded from site matches. But Today and Projected is $140 higher.

How should I treat this. I did an adjustment of $140, and then online and todays matches, but then there is no POSTED date, not sure if that is a problem. or if thats what I should do. I deleted it to get information about what I was saying is wrong for this question.

Thanks... 
  • Val Anne Beth Welch
    edited August 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Since downloading the latest update for Quicken 2016 for Mac (3.5.2), I cannot do....

New transactions from my Chase account will not download since the latest update to 3.5.2, Quicken 2016 for Mac. I have restarted Quicken, restarted my computer, deactivated downloads and reactivated, restarted my computer again.....nothing works. Note, this seems to happen EVERY time there is an update. I HATE THIS.

I was finally able to set up direct connect and my new transactions have finally downloaded. I'm sure this will work fine......until the next "update".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't edit Bill Reminders schedule in full screen mode.

Just updated to Quicken for Mac 3.5.2. When I try to enter a bill reminder, I get no way to edit the recurrence. Only a calendar display. Quicken will only schedule the recurring reminder monthly based on today's date. Can't edit the  recurrence because nothing is displayed in the edit window but the calendar. When trying to grab a screen shot, I found out the problem only occurs in full screen mode. When you return to window mode, the edit tools re-appear.image
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Doug Bish said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't edit Bill Reminders schedule in full screen mode.

Just updated to Quicken for Mac 3.5.2. When I try to enter a bill reminder, I get no way to edit the recurrence. Only a calendar display. Quicken will only schedule the recurring reminder monthly based on today's date. Can't edit the  recurrence because nothing is displayed in the edit window but the calendar. When trying to grab a screen shot, I found out the problem only occurs in full screen mode. When you return to window mode, the edit tools re-appear.image

I think this has actually been an issue since at least version 3.4
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Hide and show accounts.

I just updated to Quicken for MAC version 3.5.2.  Suddenly the accounts which show bear no resemblance to the hide and show list in "Accounts" menu.  I have accounts showing that I haven't used in years and I can't get accounts I use to show.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled QM16 v 3.5.2 Reconcile Issues.

Having issues with updated reconciliation process.  When balancing against statement, in new reconcile window Quicken is properly listing cleared items and shows proper balance, but when pressing "finish" items that where uncleared but within the statement date are now "reconciled" and throughs new reconciled balance off.  Happened on both checking accounts and charge card accounts.  Needed to go back to version prior to 3.5.1 update

I was using Quicken Deluxe 2006 on a PowerBook G4 running Tiger, so I was not able to import any data. And I couldn't update that for reasons having nothing to do with Quicken. So there's no possibility of of conversion errors. I am very familiar with data corruption in earlier versions of Quicken, BTW. What I did was print out the last few pages of each register, going back to the date of my last bank statements (12/15/15). I carefully entered those data and carefully proofread everything. (I have professional experience doing that and can be quite OCD about it.) Everthing in all those files/accounts reconciled fine both on the old Mac/Quicken and the new one.

The only "placeholder" there is my entering an Opening Balance" in the amount of the closing balance on the statement ending 12/15/15. That balance is not checked as cleared and is the only unchecked item in that register.

BTW, that amount does not correspond with the Online Balance (wherever that comes from, since I have not enabled anything online for any accounts), nor does it correspond to the difference between that balance and the last statement balance.

Given the small amount of date involved, I don't have to go back years. Before this latest update, Quicken never entered any placeholders or adjustments, and all accounts reconciled perfectly except for one time when there was a difference that was insignificant (I.e., not worth the time to track down) and I manually entered a balance adjustment.

Also, in case it matters, I hadn't seen anything about an "online balance" before the 3.5.2 update, and even though I just copied over 3.5.1 from a backup, that now shows up when I try to reconcile(with the same mysterious amount showing as "Quicken Balance as of July 5, 2016." Did the update to .3.5.2 modify the data files as well as the application? If so, it seems that I'm screwed. I tried the "Start Fresh" option, and it wanted to mark all transactions before 6/22/16 as cleared. Oy! I don't know where that date comes from (it does not match any statement date or any transaction date) and tells me that "You are marking 92 transactions as reconciled. 87 of these transactions are already reconciled, are you sure you want to con6inue?"

I clicked Cancel.

In fact, there is only one transaction not already reconciled (the beginning balance I mentioned before), so there is something VERY wrong. It appears that my data file has been corrupted.

The old method for dealing with corrupted (or possibly corrupted) data (Save a Copy; Cmd-Opt-B; Save a Copy) does not work . Is there another way I can fix this?

I really don't want Quickn to default to using its own calculations or Online Balance when I reconcile. And I certainly don't want it to insist there is a "difference" of $354.41 (in this case) when the starting and ending statement balance are the same! I can see only two possibilities here. Either the file is corrupted,or Quicken is quite buggy and is, in essence, making stuff up.

This amount of frustration is what leads me to be fed up with Quicken. If this can't be fixed, and if I can't find another program to do the very simple things I need (nothing online , no investment accounts; just checking, savings and credit card account ledgers and reconciliation and check printing [although I could probably give that last one up) then I will consider going back to paper ledgers. The number of times I look at a Quicen screen and say WTF! Is simply not worth the stress for me. And the amount of time I'm spending on this issue is seriously cutting into things I really need to be doing for my health (which are already quite time-consuming.

Harry
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Transactions for 2016 have vanished from my accounts!.

Using Mac version 3.5.2 (Build 35.13202.100) - nearly all of my 2016 data has vanished. Completely gone, across my most active savings and checking accounts.  Accounts that i use constantly now show no data at all after October 2015! This is, of course, disastrous for me.

Has this happened to others? Anything I can do?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled OL-292-B error..

OL-292-B error. I was able to download from BofA until last week. Now I get this error. I have not done an update recently. I had trouble when I first did the upgrade but all was resolved until now. How do I fix this?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Transactions for 2016 have vanished from my accounts!.

Using Mac version 3.5.2 (Build 35.13202.100) - nearly all of my 2016 data has vanished. Completely gone, across my most active savings and checking accounts.  Accounts that i use constantly now show no data at all after October 2015! This is, of course, disastrous for me.

Has this happened to others? Anything I can do?

FYI, I've been able to restore data from most of my accounts, but it's painful. I've had to completely REMOVE online access, then re-add it. Sometimes more than once, for each account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

My problem now is there is NO Gear showing in the Reconcile window on the Mac version 3.5.2 I'm seeing at all so I cannot do what you suggest Jacob.. I also went back and there is no transaction in the past that was entered. So now how do I fix this?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

I completely removed access this afternoon, and tonight I was able to reestablish access with the Chase accounts. Still no luck with AmEx.
  • marc
    marc Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    caron said:

Chase downloads started working for me too, i did not remove anything 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Just installed 3.5.2 update and now accounts that have been hidden for past 10 years are now visible. What a mess! The release notes mentioned something about fixing a bug in this area, but you've clearly created a mess for me, and probably others. My only option now is to manually go through dozens of old accounts and re-hide them.

I've been a Quicken user since 1992. Deeply regretting switching from the Windows to the 2016 Mac version this past year...it's been horrible, now it's too late to go back. Please get your act together Inuit! Are you even testing these patches?

Thanks for the clarifications on ownership of Intuit.

Here's my issue with the quality problems here...I had used the Windows version of Quicken for about 20 years and the updates were generally rock solid. This Mac version was poorly done, and continues to be get worse with these updates. I switched from Windows when it appeared Quicken had re-embraced the Mac platform in 2015. Complexity is no excuse for poor quality when there are far more users on the Windows platform. Clearly, Quicken has the capability to do better.

I will echo the same complaints about reconciliation. I reconciled my accounts monthly for nearly 20 years on the Windows version, and this Mac version's reconciliation function has been nothing but a headache. Unless I'm missing something, forcing users to reconcile to their "online balance" is ridiculously naive and impractical. Let me know if I'm missing something there.
This discussion has been closed.