Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.2 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I just want to post a comment for the team regarding how they believe the new reconciliation update is suppose to make sure to expose past balancing issues missed by the past functionality.  It does BUT a user just posted they circumvented the imbalance the update in 3.5.2 exposed in the reconciliation screen "Statement Balance" by deleting the "Starting/Prior Bal" amount calculated by Quicken and manually entered the Beginning Balance from their bank statement whereby ignoring they have a register vs bank discrepancy.  They then balanced those transactions in relationship to their current statement not even having to entered an adjustment either,,,, which logic I am against from an accounting integrity stand point anyway.  They believe they are balanced and just left the mess behind.  The thing I don't understand is why Quicken is allowing the user to enter their own statement balance where they can by pass the whole point of the update.  Then when things go a rye and come back to haunt them, they are upset with the application and want everyone to fix their mess. I would think it would be better to stop this kind of work arounds regarding balancing problems and maintain Quicken's integrity in it's accounting functionality.  If people aren't going to use the program correctly, then it should not be Quicken's burden to bare or waste the time of other users and the support staff period.  

BTW, Quickbooks is the business version with the same capabilities with the addition of  accounting features like payroll, inventory for which the company generally hires and accountant or  bookkeepers to "manage the finances" of the company. No different. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I just want to post a comment for the team regarding how they believe the new reconciliation update is suppose to make sure to expose past balancing issues missed by the past functionality.  It does BUT a user just posted they circumvented the imbalance the update in 3.5.2 exposed in the reconciliation screen "Statement Balance" by deleting the "Starting/Prior Bal" amount calculated by Quicken and manually entered the Beginning Balance from their bank statement whereby ignoring they have a register vs bank discrepancy.  They then balanced those transactions in relationship to their current statement not even having to entered an adjustment either,,,, which logic I am against from an accounting integrity stand point anyway.  They believe they are balanced and just left the mess behind.  The thing I don't understand is why Quicken is allowing the user to enter their own statement balance where they can by pass the whole point of the update.  Then when things go a rye and come back to haunt them, they are upset with the application and want everyone to fix their mess. I would think it would be better to stop this kind of work arounds regarding balancing problems and maintain Quicken's integrity in it's accounting functionality.  If people aren't going to use the program correctly, then it should not be Quicken's burden to bare or waste the time of other users and the support staff period.  

Big Difference...Accounting software is far more than just invoices, payroll, inventory, etc. They abide by GAAP principles and implement features like ledgers, etc. and enforce many accounting practices. 

With personal finance management, though there are good practices, and many accounting principles can be used, there is no need to be as stringent. 

As for this feature, I have reconciled consistently and it appears many have but this version forces users to deal with past issues that may not be of any value today. I have data going back to 1992. I am not prepared to have to deal with any discrepancies that may come up from years past. I may have made mistakes then but they are irrelevant today because I am now good at doing it right.....

And that is what many are complaining about. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

OK yes I am aware of what accounting principles are I took college accounting and guess what one of the first things you are taught???? How to post a transaction in a general ledger/register via a Debit or Credit and perform a  reconciliation.. basic stuff, so please I don't need a lesson.  I have been using Quicken just as long and my computer system crashed and I still recovered using the same principles.  I have never had a balancing issue because when I reconcile and find a mistake me or the bank, it was dealt with at the time with a little research and not carried over via adjustments.  Even after the upgrade to 3.5.2,  I still balanced with 9 years of data on this MAC version.  I can't believe as a super user as you state your credentials, would defend the continued use of adjustments as a resolution to correctly balancing so people have a consistent way of using this software for the best possible results they invest their time in.  And then if they have a problem, Quicken support can actually help them figure it out.  The thing is I see here when people use adjustments to deal with their imbalances posting all their frustrations at Quicken for the mess no one can figure out now.....so let's do another adjustment.  Like I said and others have too, adjustments don't make the problem go away, it just masks it so it's even harder to figure it out or fix it later. BTW, forget the financial reports if your data has adjustments in it to artificially balance.....as they say "Garbage In/ Garbage out. I will continue to maintain that if Quicken wants to be a premier product once again, they must make sure they can guarantee a stable operating software that delivers on quality out put.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Not sure where you got the idea but I never defended "the continued use of adjustments as a resolution"; in fact, just the opposite.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

If you look at my original post, the topic was that a user can override the "Starting/Prior Balance" in the reconcile feature and input their own numbers thereby circumventing what Quicken calculates based on the data in the register.  So the integrity Quicken has programmed into the reconcile process via 3.5.2 update can still  be defeated by the user.  I don't think that field should ever be allowed to be changed period.  If this number does not match your bank statement than that alerts you to a problem with your data that needs your attention.  I have a long standing history of reconciling in Quicken with accurate results as long as your data is also accurate.  If you want to go the adjustment route and ignore the imbalance when you reconcile than I guess that is your right but I do not believe that the starting balance should be something a user can manipulate.  

This was a message intended for the Quicken Team. 
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I am always wary of statements made as absolutes. Quicken users have varied needs. For myself, there have been times that there is a few dollars discrepancy and after a reasonable (to me) time spent looking for my error I have decided the error will not affect my life or my taxes and apply the blunt instrument of adding an adjustment. I have only been downloading statements and allowing Quicken to apply these since I switched to QM2016 about 9 months ago after many years using QM2007. Since switching I have learned to look for duplicates such as those caused by downloaded transactions not recognizing the same value checking transaction entered manually, as well as transactions transferred to or from the wrong account. 

On the other hand, I'm not sure why someone would change a correct number (such as an opening balance that is correct) to fix an error. Is that what 102_dar_70 is referring to? 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I understand your opinion and respect it but I respectfully disagree.
    BTW, QM2007 and earlier has always allowed this and it has never been a problem for me. Been using QMac since 1992. 
    Very rarely have I needed to override the starting balance in the past but there have been valid reasons to, as I have pointed out, more often due to Quicken bugs, though not always. Forcing that balance means NO way to handle those kinds of situations that would be warranted.

Also intended for Quicken Team.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I read the first sentence and I already knew you didn't understand or read my original post and how it has gone off the beaten path now so to speak.  Let me say for all to hear, I am not against the ability to make a minor correction via an "adjustment" like for a dollar or two but to use it to wipe out bigger problems and move on then "NO" I disagree with this practice or advising other users in this practice to resolve their issues.  But that was not what my original post was about.  Maybe read the one I posted a moment ago for clarification and by the way it was really intended to alert the Quicken Team to the problem.  This is over kill on this point now.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Smayer97;
    I find it interesting that you find so many Quicken Bugs that you need to make reconciliation adjustments for or is it because you make adjustments instead of correcting the issue.  Why is it I have not had the same experiences requiring adjustments. 

And when I did  find a Quicken balancing issue, I researched it to find "older outstanding transactions were not showing up in the reconciliation screen that were in my register", I matched them off in the register and balanced and immediately reported it to Quicken.  It was fixed in the next update 3.5.2.  I also encountered a missing transaction and a reconciled transaction unreconciled after an update and reported this as well. But if you make adjustments it confuses things to where you can't identify and correct issues at the time they occur.

I  think the majority of issues deal with the "online" feature anyway not the "statement" reconciliation process itself.  I personally don't feel comfortable complicating my banking business by going through an online third party vendor.   I think the idea is it was going to be easier or save time but guess what?  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Again, I did not say I use adjustments. But I agree, it does not make sense to reconcile the bank to the bank.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Is the troubleshooting guide for reconciling ready yet?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The Credit Score tab in the Accounts Bar is missing in Quicken 2016 for Mac version 3.5.2. How do you access your credit score in this version??
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Do not think  this feature is available in QM16
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

The Credit Score tab in the Accounts Bar is missing in Quicken 2016 for Mac version 3.5.2. How do you access your credit score in this version??

Unfortunatley, Credit Score has never been part of any QMac version. You could submit a request for this feature by posting an IDEA on this site.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thanks, the more features I'm finding missing... the more I'm missing my Windows version of Quicken.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Just confirming that credit score is definitely not a feature in any version of Quicken for Mac.

Clay, there are indeed many features of Quicken Windows not yet present in Quicken Mac. Quicken had an older Mac version, Quicken 2007, which was closer to parity with the Windows product, but because some of the core technology was so old and unsupportable on the future macOS, the company decided years ago to halt development on Quicken 2007 and start with a re-write completely from scratch. There were multiple starts and stops along the bumpy path, and previous-owner Intuit reversed course (and management teams, and developments teams) several times. Quicken Essentials, a very stripped down version debuted in 2010, and after more bumps in the road, a somewhat more complete version of Quicken for Mac emerged as Quicken 2015 two years ago. There were a lot of features not in that version, and the past two years have seen a number of features added. But development progress has been slow, in part because the Mac development team is tiny, and because of the need to update some of the back-end infrastructure technology for security with current banking technology. Earlier this year, Quicken separated from Intuit, and the new CEO promised to double the size of the Mac development team in order to speed development and bring the Mac product closer to feature parity with the Windows version. I think you'll continue to see slow and steady progress over the next year -- but it will still be awhile until almost all legacy Mac and Windows users are fully satisfied with the feature set.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

When will it be out? Will it let us set the prior balance in the window to agree with our calculated balance for Reconciling? That's the dilemma for me. My balance was always perfect til 3.51 which created a balance I couldn't change

Quicken Marcus, Has you doc about the new Quicken come out, yet?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I use Quicken for Mac for all my banking records.   I came from  the PC platform to the Mac and the only real disappointment for me is writing checks.

There is no control of the printer, it is select and print. The type is think tiny and hard to read.  I had to resort to printing labels to put on envelopes because the post office couldn't see the address.   Now I am using the same printer that Used with the PC platform.   

So how about fixing that?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

When will it be out? Will it let us set the prior balance in the window to agree with our calculated balance for Reconciling? That's the dilemma for me. My balance was always perfect til 3.51 which created a balance I couldn't change

Is it obvious to anyone but me that all this talk from Marcus re not being able to reproduce the bug that scads of users are experiencing is a complete fabrication?
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Please add to the reconcile screen the ability to enter service charge or interest like in QM2007.  It would be quicker than completing new transactions in the register.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Bigelow, I really don't think it's a complete fabrication. I think it is actually what they found after working with many users who initially reported problems. But since that was weeks ago, and there has been no further communication from Marcus, I can't state whether that's still the case or whether they did find any bug which needed to be patched. That said, I think it is inexcusable that Quicken knew that many users were experiencing problems with this feature after the upgrade, that they promised a written guide to help people resolve their reconciliation problems, and that they then failed to deliver. It has been nearly a month since this guide was promised, and there has been neither a guide nor any further communication from Marcus or anyone on the Quicken team about this issue. As someone who spends time on this website trying to help fellow Quicken users, I find this to be just awful customer relations performance.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Robert B said:

Please add to the reconcile screen the ability to enter service charge or interest like in QM2007.  It would be quicker than completing new transactions in the register.

Creating as idea so users may vote on adding function

Please reference the new conversation here: Add ability to add service charge or interest during reconcile to QM2016
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I agree. The "black hole" of silence from Quicken is very frustrating. I greatly appreciate how you help other users, but your helping should not be the only form of customer support! I would understand if I was told it was more complicated than they thought, or they are working on it, or even that they don't have the manpower and are working on what they believe to be more pressing. However, if they are working on fixes to place in a paid 2017 release I believe users will go ballistic. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

The previous versions had a tool that identified the month in which a reconcile did not agree.  That was very handy in locating and correcting a mistake.  
    The current version 3.5.2 not only lacks that tool, the only "fix" they offer is to enter an amount that would cancel the error, but in reality only increases the problem.
    Not only that, but when I try to re-reconcile a previous month to attempt to find the error, the machine gives me an empty reconcile window (no transaction entries).  This is unacceptable.  I now have three unreconciled months in numerous accounts.  
    I called customer service and the very nice young man in India wanted to see my screen.  That is unacceptable.  All I want is to be able to reconcile my own accounts.  I enter all transactions manually so use the statement balance option to reconcile.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I have used Quicken since 1998, and loved it until I got a Mac last April. I find Quicken 2016 for Mac incredibly confusing and frustrating. It lacks the ease of use that Quicken for Windows always provided me with. I am a heavy user of Quicken, and every time I download my banking information I cross my fingers hoping the data will be correct. MANY times it is not. Examples: does not download all charges to my credit card even though they have cleared my bank; duplicate downloads (I have to check for this, Quicken doesn't), willfully changes my categories to its preference (I have gone back to posting MANY times to update categories to what I want them to be), does not show pending charges so I have to go to the bank website for this information., thereby making it more time consuming to get a true accounting picture. In addition, the results I get to my Citibank accounts are ALWAYS wrong. And even though I have checked the do not include option Quicken includes Citibank unless I do each of my other accounts separately. I have gotten assistance from CS, but the wait time on hold, NINETY MINUTES, and their limited service days and hours discouraged me from calling them again. In addition, the garbled explanation I got as to why Quicken for Mac is so poor was that it is Apple's fault because of their security requirements. My response to that is "nonsense." Hopefully the new CEO of Quicken has a basic understanding of an account ledger, and a thorough understanding of computer programming , both coupled with a great sense of urgency. If the issues I, and other users of Quicken have outlined are not resolved by the end of 2016 he should move out of the way, and the company should then get someone who can.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

It may not be exactly what you want to hear but keep in mind that Quicken started rebuilding the Mac software from scratch, with the first release in 2010. They had many fits and starts but finally have a rhythm going now, busy trying to add back many of the features.

I highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d....

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Specific to some of your issues, you may want to review and VOTE on feature requests related to the download and matching process, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/restore-transactions-downloading-acceptance-and-...

Start at the top for the first one, then scroll down the reply list for additional related feature requests. Be sure to go to each link separately, then click VOTE at the top to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

• Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Please consider changing how a credit card register displays the balance on the account.  The way QM2007 does it is more meaningful, in this example today's date is 10/5/16 and I have payed a bill with my credit card dated 10-9-16 in the amount of $9.99.  QM2007 displays:  image 
    compared to QM2016:  image
    Today's balance is irrelevant if I have charged a future dated item to the account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Robert B said:

Please consider changing how a credit card register displays the balance on the account.  The way QM2007 does it is more meaningful, in this example today's date is 10/5/16 and I have payed a bill with my credit card dated 10-9-16 in the amount of $9.99.  QM2007 displays:  image 
    Today's balance is irrelevant if I have charged a future dated item to the account.

Will try this, thanks
  • Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Robert B said:

Creating a separate idea post.

Please reference the new conversation here: "Change How a Register Displays the Balance on an account in Quicken for Mac"
This discussion has been closed.