Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.2 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

Just updated to 3.5.2 and had to rebuild all the parameter for my accounts.  Some I had hidden and wasn't using.  What a pain! 

You could join the forum http://forums.macresource.com/list/1, and send me a PM, and then I could give you info needed. Name on forum is Microman
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

When will it be out? Will it let us set the prior balance in the window to agree with our calculated balance for Reconciling? That's the dilemma for me. My balance was always perfect til 3.51 which created a balance I couldn't change

Just to echo Bill's experience of 3 days ago: I just tried to reconcile a credit card account using 3.5.2 against a printed statement.  Quicken gives me an incorrect starting balance; I can see it's the starting balance for the previous month's statement.  Looking more closely at the transactions, I see a potential clue: transactions that I had checked in the 'Clear' column when I reconciled last month (with version 3.5, I think) have an blue-rectangle checkbox, but transactions previous to that have a green-circle check icon.  This gives me the impression that the new Quicken doesn't believe I finished reconciling last month's transactions.
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

Just updated to 3.5.2 and had to rebuild all the parameter for my accounts.  Some I had hidden and wasn't using.  What a pain! 

I just registered, Tom... I need to be approved by a Moderator before I can log on... I did see your question on there though. I appreciate your help very much! Thank you.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

When will it be out? Will it let us set the prior balance in the window to agree with our calculated balance for Reconciling? That's the dilemma for me. My balance was always perfect til 3.51 which created a balance I couldn't change

I just purchased a new iMac so I down loaded what I thought was the most simple Quicken just so I could run my checkbook as before.
    I am so confused I am back to doing my own pencil balancing along with the telephone contact with my Bank.  This might be simple for a CPA but it is a
    complete waste of time and money for me....Grrrrrr
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Shirlee M. Shumway See if this thread about getting guide on how to use Quicken for Mac helps: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/where-can-i-find-a-quicken-2016-mac-user-guide

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• mStevens
    mStevens Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Just downloaded. I had hoped it would fix a problem where one of my Chase accounts will not download, but there is no change. Account Status still shows the account as never having completed a download even after going through the set up that works for several other checking, savings and credit card accounts at Chase.

Disappointed because I previously wasted 2 hours with tech support (waiting forever and then talking with screen share). I have tried both phone and chat support and both have involved hour waits. I did get some issues fixed, but not this one. The last tech was worthless. Had me going around in circles and then cut me off without notice when they reached their 5 pm (Pacific Time) ending time. Had the nerve to mark the issue "solved"!!!

I am also having problems connection to Chase. Quicken says the user ID and PW are wrong. They are not! I have to update my Chase account everyday with my log in credentials. This has been going on for several days now.
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Just downloaded. I had hoped it would fix a problem where one of my Chase accounts will not download, but there is no change. Account Status still shows the account as never having completed a download even after going through the set up that works for several other checking, savings and credit card accounts at Chase.

Disappointed because I previously wasted 2 hours with tech support (waiting forever and then talking with screen share). I have tried both phone and chat support and both have involved hour waits. I did get some issues fixed, but not this one. The last tech was worthless. Had me going around in circles and then cut me off without notice when they reached their 5 pm (Pacific Time) ending time. Had the nerve to mark the issue "solved"!!!

I use USAA but several days ago, I had to keep entering all my passwords, etc. for each account that I was trying to update with Quicken. Then I decided to shutdown my Mac and do a restart and all of that resolved. I think it was in a loop of confusion. Anyhow, that part worked for me after that.
  • Charles Raines
    Charles Raines Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Several months ago, I upgraded from the very reliable but somewhat dated Version 7 (Mac) to the new Version 2016 (Mac).  It took many hours to clean up the mess and I still occasionally find incorrect data.  Generally speaking, the application is now working well and I feel it was worth the trouble to upgrade.  It requires a different work flow to maintain the several accounts I track, but I have to admit, I am beginning to like Quicken 2016.  It has features that Version 7 lacked, it is much quicker and seems to be very stable.  I  think anyone who takes the time to learn the program and correct all the import errors, will have an application that will take them well into the future.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

After using Quicken for nearly 20 years, I've been forced to use my paper bank statement to reconcile my bank account.  It appears from the discussion that I'm not the only having this issue.  Quicken 2016 takes my online account balance, adds the the statement balance, suggests an adjustment of this value, and then will not continue until I add this phony adjustment.  To further complicate the issue, Quicken 2016 doesn't use the previous statement balance as a start, but the online balance on that date.  By the end of the reconciliation, the process has become so confusing that it's impossible to tell if the account is indeed reconciled.
    This is ridiculous.  This is back to the Intuit of old; where the people writing code don't appear to understand how to use the most simple concepts of cash accounting.  Without using the correct starting balance (in this case the statement's previous ending balance), you can NEVER reconcile without adding a moronic adjustment each month.  Once you've done that, the balance online and the statement balance will never reconcile.
    Once you noticed this was an issue, Intuit should have put people to work 24/7 to fix it, notified customers of the issue, and stop rolling out any new products until you understand why something so simple could get so screwed up.  There are a number of things that need to be fixed in Intuit 2016 for Mac, but the reconciliation process was not one of them.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

I understand your frustration, but the new reconcile in Quicken is NOT doing what you say it is. The starting balance is simply the sum of all deposits and withdrawals since the beginning of that account. The discrepancy you are seeing on your account is due to an error in your file at some point in the past. It seems to me this approach is fundamentally sound however, it is causing many people pain because it is not always easy to find where the past discrepancy lies.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I am having the same problem; however, my accounts have ALWAYS balanced in the past, with no "adjustments". Perhaps the people designing the reconcile process have never balanced a checkbook the "old-fashioned" way?
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Even if you have always reconciled in the past, if you are off now, Quicken is telling you that *something* in that account doesn't add up. It may not be something you did; it is likely something you're just not aware of. It could be something from when you imported your previous data file into Quicken 2015/2016; it could be a transaction(s) which downloaded in duplicate after a monthly reconciliation; it could be a placeholder adjustment Quicken created during import. In the past Quicken was ignoring such discrepancies by allowing you to enter each month's starting and ending balance; now it is forcing us to find and fix whatever past discrepancies exist so that all the transactions in the account add up to the current balance. Once that happens, this approach should be easy to use every subsequent month.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

It's not. The account has balanced every month since I opened it, and it balanced using the paper statement. The issue is Quicken is forcing reconciliation to the online balance rather the statement balance.
  • Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

You say it has balanced using the paper statement. As was the situation for me personally, a user just like you. But after making the switch to 3.5.2 from 3.4.1 balance was wrong. I went and looked at most recent paper statement. And at the end of the month Quicken and the paper statement should have been the same. It was not. I went back 4 paper statements (months) and I found that Quicken on the last day of that month was the same as that statement. So I went forward one month until I found that Quicken had duplicated a transaction.. but still not correct balance. So I went ahead another month and found 2 duplicates. Now all was perfect.

If your fortunate enough to have those balanced statements, and they are for month to month. The ending balance somewhere on one of those statements should match Quicken Desktop for the end of that month.

Once you find the error, you will see what your online balance is from the register, and how it matches the bank online balance and the new reconcile feature will make sense.

Good luck in finding when your statements changed.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Several months ago, I upgraded from the very reliable but somewhat dated Version 7 (Mac) to the new Version 2016 (Mac).  It took many hours to clean up the mess and I still occasionally find incorrect data.  Generally speaking, the application is now working well and I feel it was worth the trouble to upgrade.  It requires a different work flow to maintain the several accounts I track, but I have to admit, I am beginning to like Quicken 2016.  It has features that Version 7 lacked, it is much quicker and seems to be very stable.  I  think anyone who takes the time to learn the program and correct all the import errors, will have an application that will take them well into the future.

I mostly agree with this, with a big IF!  If they fix the problems, if they get it more stable, if they create help files that are up to date and prevent having to spend an hour waiting to get to customer support or posting on this discussion and waiting to see if anyone has a solution they can share. I do think the developers are working towards this.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Steve, Quicken is not simply forcing reconciliation to the online balance, as you suggest. I have accounts with NO online balance -- they're manually entered and not connected to a financial institution online -- and I can balance them to my bank statement. As Tom explained above, the problems people are having with the new reconcile is that it is exposing errors in the account sometime in the past which were previously overlooked by the old reconcile process. I'm not disagreeing with you or anyone who is finding it a pain to track down and fix the problems; I'm only saying the problem isn't a flaw in how Quicken now calculates the balance.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I've seen a few comments from individuals having issues with the new reconcile feature in the 3.5.2 update - which at the moment is the problem I am having. In attempting to reconcile my checking account, I chose the option to manually enter the data from the paper statement - i.e., the previous statement end balance, the current statement end date and end balance. After clicking Next, Quicken automatically compares the manually entered balance to an "Online Balance" based on the entered statement end date. The Quicken derived online balance, however, is $200 off. To verify, I went to my account online. The paper statement balance matches the bank's online balance for that date. I am very hesitant to have Quicken adjust the end balance without knowing what caused the discrepancy to begin with.

All of my previous reconcile efforts in Quicken have balanced without fail. Why couldn't Quicken just leave well enough alone? I am not a fan of the new reconcile feature. It is not so much more accurate, as it is more of a pain in the ****. They've taken all the ease out of reconciling an account and have made it a frustrating, time consuming chore.

Tom, I went all the way back to the beginning of the year, and the balance quicken kept coming up with was no where near correct. The further back I went, the worse quicken's balances got. I should not have to go back several months to re-reconcile my accounts when I've already reconciled them once. My frustration with 3.5.2 has peeked! Time to move on.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I've seen a few comments from individuals having issues with the new reconcile feature in the 3.5.2 update - which at the moment is the problem I am having. In attempting to reconcile my checking account, I chose the option to manually enter the data from the paper statement - i.e., the previous statement end balance, the current statement end date and end balance. After clicking Next, Quicken automatically compares the manually entered balance to an "Online Balance" based on the entered statement end date. The Quicken derived online balance, however, is $200 off. To verify, I went to my account online. The paper statement balance matches the bank's online balance for that date. I am very hesitant to have Quicken adjust the end balance without knowing what caused the discrepancy to begin with.

All of my previous reconcile efforts in Quicken have balanced without fail. Why couldn't Quicken just leave well enough alone? I am not a fan of the new reconcile feature. It is not so much more accurate, as it is more of a pain in the ****. They've taken all the ease out of reconciling an account and have made it a frustrating, time consuming chore.

I agree. Quicken seems to believe there is no bug in reconcile. Time to move on. Bye all.

Harry
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I've encountered two issues with the reconciliation.  First Quicken is resetting entries that I've previously reconciled as "not cleared."  Some of these go back several years.  And yes, my file was perfectly balanced before the 3.5.2 update.  Secondly, when reconciling new transactions at the statement end date it's setting all transactions on the last day on the statement as being reconciled even when I didn't mark them for reconciliation.  These transactions show up on the next month's statement and I have to set them manually as cleared so Quicken will reconcile correctly.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My Credit Line will not register for downloads correctly. A different account tr....

I have been using Quicken for Mac since its inception which feels like 30 years!  I have been, to be honest, totally aggravated at Mac people being treated like 2nd class citizens and not gettting the full information on our downloads like we did all the way through Quicken Essentials.  However, there are even more problems.
          Recently I upgraded to Quicken Mac 3.5.2. I was having so many problems with downloading via Quicken that I gave up after 7 1/2 hours on the phone with Intuit in the Phillipines trying to download via Quicken.  They really tried to help, but no luck.  Consequently, I decided to change completely to Direct Connect.  
         I have 12 accounts in Quicken that I download and wanted to transfer to Direct Connect.  11 made the transfer perfectly.  My Credit Line (under loans) refused to download anything.  So finally, I deleted it because it is fairly new and doesn't have a ton of transactions that need to be restored.  HOWEVER, Quicken will NOT let me add it correctly!  I go through the correct process, selecting Direct Connect as I have done with all my other accounts, but when it gets to the link page, the account number and type that comes up is one of my other accounts (credit card) and my credit line is no where to be seen on that page!  After 5 attempts, I gave up. How can I add my credit line to my other accounts and have Direct Connect work for it.  PLEASE help!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I'm feeling the same way.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I have to disagree with you Jacobs. However, even if it were exposing errors from times past, it would not be this much of a pain for the 99% of us. I would like to also point out that it is happening to those who do it manually AND online. It's good it happened to work well for you, but I've never had this much of a problem with an upgrade. Even technical assistance can't seem to figure it out.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Vetrea, I wasn't saying it only happens to online accounts, I was saying it wasn't doing what Steve thought it was above. The problems people are encountering are affecting all sorts of users, I agree. And as someone who participates on this site trying to help fellow Quicken users, I'm beyond unhappy that neither Quicken management nor developers have been engaging here to help the many users who are frustrated and angry. From what I've read, I believe the problems are old transaction problems which the new reconcile procedure exposes, but they clearly need to provide an easier way for people to find and resolve their problems.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Still unable to download transaction from Chase for 2 weeks now. I've re-activated "Financial software" in the Chase portal AND re-linked my account in Quicken.

What gives??
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Finally figured it out...in addition from changing connection type to Direct Connect, I had to acknowledge a private message from Chase in their "message center" to allow Quicken to access data. Ugh. This handshake between Quicken was clearly broken by either Quicken or Chase. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I apologize. I certainly misunderstood you. I'm so disappointed in this update. I called to get help and I tried to use chat. Chat was too difficult to follow; so I called. Each time I told them what my problem was, I was sent to another person and kept on hold forever between each call. I received no help at all.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My Credit Line will not register for downloads correctly. A different account tr....

I have been using Quicken for Mac since its inception which feels like 30 years!  I have been, to be honest, totally aggravated at Mac people being treated like 2nd class citizens and not gettting the full information on our downloads like we did all the way through Quicken Essentials.  However, there are even more problems.
          Recently I upgraded to Quicken Mac 3.5.2. I was having so many problems with downloading via Quicken that I gave up after 7 1/2 hours on the phone with Intuit in the Phillipines trying to download via Quicken.  They really tried to help, but no luck.  Consequently, I decided to change completely to Direct Connect.  
         I have 12 accounts in Quicken that I download and wanted to transfer to Direct Connect.  11 made the transfer perfectly.  My Credit Line (under loans) refused to download anything.  So finally, I deleted it because it is fairly new and doesn't have a ton of transactions that need to be restored.  HOWEVER, Quicken will NOT let me add it correctly!  I go through the correct process, selecting Direct Connect as I have done with all my other accounts, but when it gets to the link page, the account number and type that comes up is one of my other accounts (credit card) and my credit line is no where to be seen on that page!  After 5 attempts, I gave up. How can I add my credit line to my other accounts and have Direct Connect work for it.  PLEASE help!

It sounds as if the FI is not making the credit line account available during the Direct Connect setup process. Have you tried contacting the FI about this?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Jacobs, I understand what you are saying, however in my opinion it is unacceptable to have to go back several months to reconcile an account or accounts that were already reconciled. Pardon my generalization here, but most people don't have the time nor in my case the patience to redo something that was already done. What I just don't get is why the balance derived by Quicken based on the date of the bank statement entered by the user is different from the actual online bank balance for the exact same date. To me, that's where the problem lies. I could be, and probably am wrong; but, that aspect frustrates me to the point of anger.

Quicken needs to have dual options that allows a user to either 1) use the Quicken derived online balance for reconciling OR 2) allow the user to input the balance from the paper statement as previously done. 

And I am definitely in agreement with your assessment that if " the problems are old transaction problems which the new reconcile procedure exposes...they clearly need to provide an easier way for people to find and resolve their problems."  Hear that Quicken developers?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

new quicken for Mac has screwed up my books, update is regrettable. makes me question integrity of others Intuit products which has used since inception. The previous version was terrific.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

Tom, I would like a copy also. Went to the forum but couldn't figure out how to private message you.
This discussion has been closed.