Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.2 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

When will it be out? Will it let us set the prior balance in the window to agree with our calculated balance for Reconciling? That's the dilemma for me. My balance was always perfect til 3.51 which created a balance I couldn't change

This is the first time I'm reconciling with the new update. I do not download anything from online sites. I have two different accounts that I was trying to reconcile. The new reconcile is not using the last "Ending Balance" which I get from my paper statement. When I plug in the actual "Ending Balance" it generates an adjustment that is the difference between what it should be and what Quicken thinks it should be. If I am not using Qucken's online banking where is it getting this number from? I could understand maybe I didn't notice the closing amount last month on one account, but on both? And wouldn't they have shown as being out of balance at the end of both reconciles?
  • Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

Just updated to 3.5.2 and had to rebuild all the parameter for my accounts.  Some I had hidden and wasn't using.  What a pain! 

After you signup and get accepted, there is a place, to click on private messages, its on a line with a list of other topics ... small text.

Then on the left is send a PM....Microman

But if you need to try and find lost info, that will be fine to look back. But I am looking forward now using 3.5.2, but the Dang Mobile App is a contaminating beast., And been that way for over a year.
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I previously had trouble with transactions on two USAA Checking accounts historically not migrating all of them to the new update. I was only seeing transactions back to July of 2016 rather than back to May 2005. All of this resolved itself after I downloaded 3.4.1 from a friend on this site. He was kind enough to place it in Dropbox for me to use. 

Anyhow, when I saw that I was going to have to start from scratch with adding all accounts, passwords, etc., I decided to download the 3.5.2 once again. NOW all the old transactions came piling in. I guess they had gone on vacation for several weeks. So this issue is no longer an issue.

Now for the Reconcile issue- I resolved that one also. I discovered that all those old transactions needed to be CLEARED with the green check mark. I did page after page back to 2005 (I found shortcuts to make it faster too). And now the Reconcile matches the balances of each account. So if your reconciles are making you think you are $35,000 richer and can go buy a car for cash, CLEAR each transaction and then see what happens. Magic!!!

Hoping this helps someone out.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Today, I was connected to the right customer service agent who helped me to work with reconciling. Everything worked out wonderfully after that. The reconcile issue that you spoke of is right. It didn't take long at all.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

When will it be out? Will it let us set the prior balance in the window to agree with our calculated balance for Reconciling? That's the dilemma for me. My balance was always perfect til 3.51 which created a balance I couldn't change

I had that same issue with reconcile. However, today, I was connected to the right customer service agent who helped me
    to work with reconciling. Everything worked out wonderfully after that. Try calling Quicken. Hopefully, you will be connect to the right person. They will need to see your screen while helping you. I tried chat and that was extremely frustrating. So, speak to a person.
  • Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

I previously had trouble with transactions on two USAA Checking accounts historically not migrating all of them to the new update. I was only seeing transactions back to July of 2016 rather than back to May 2005. All of this resolved itself after I downloaded 3.4.1 from a friend on this site. He was kind enough to place it in Dropbox for me to use. 

Anyhow, when I saw that I was going to have to start from scratch with adding all accounts, passwords, etc., I decided to download the 3.5.2 once again. NOW all the old transactions came piling in. I guess they had gone on vacation for several weeks. So this issue is no longer an issue.

Now for the Reconcile issue- I resolved that one also. I discovered that all those old transactions needed to be CLEARED with the green check mark. I did page after page back to 2005 (I found shortcuts to make it faster too). And now the Reconcile matches the balances of each account. So if your reconciles are making you think you are $35,000 richer and can go buy a car for cash, CLEAR each transaction and then see what happens. Magic!!!

Same here, I sort of snuck up on this new Reconcile option, experimenting with each account and keeping a backup of the data file prior. 

Susan, it was a lot easier just going into Reconcile, and hitting that MARK ALL AS CLEARED.... when I did that, even to an account that was from the year 2000, that had never been reconciled, it came out with a ZERO difference between the Online Balance and what the register said for that day.

Now, once the dust settles I hope they can make the Mobile App work. It would be a great tool, but it causes more problems than it solves. Errors, Duplications, and Infecting the Desktop Online balance to be incorrect.

Fix the Mobile App, please.....
  • susanwerby
    susanwerby Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

But, Tom, today the reconcile is back to that crazy wrong stuff again. But I am happy with having the old transactions. I never reconciled before this anyhow...
    Thanks for all your help!
  • Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

Look for duplicates, compare paper statements

Desktop balance on the end of each month should be the same as paper balance from bank if bank uses the 1st to last day of the month
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

That is frequently NOT the case, as there can be transactions that are near the period end date that you may have recorded but did not post to the account/statement until a few days later. 

That is just another reason why a historical tracking of reconciliation periods is very much needed in QMac, like in QM2007 and QWin.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

Just updated to 3.5.2 and had to rebuild all the parameter for my accounts.  Some I had hidden and wasn't using.  What a pain! 

After @ 20 years of using Quicken, (Windows, and @ 2 years ago switched to a Mac), I'm considering switching to one of your competitors.    I got the update for Quicken 2016 3.5.2 and since then I cannot sync my mobile.  Every single time I attempt, the software basically hangs up forever in the "Authorizing, Please Wait..." popup window.   I've left it there for over an hour with no change.   I have to force quit this software to get it to stop.   I've spent countless hours in Quicken chat in attempts to fix this issue to no avail.  Yes, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software twice.  Both times, it updates me straight back to 3.5.2 and does the same thing.  I can't open my file in the original software and no option to go back to 3.5.1!  I went and got a 3 week old back up and the problem doesn't go away.   I've signed off both mobile accounts.   Still nothing.  I tried turning off the mobile services.  It turns itself back on.  I tried creating a new file in hopes I can import each account one at a time, it won't let me do that!   Does anything work right in this software???  I typically update my account every day or two and now I'm going on 10 days of no sync.   This issue has me so frustrated and discouraged about your software.  I may try chat one more time, but after that, I'm done...      Please contact me at gstrait64@yahoo.com..   PLEASE HELP!   Regards, Tim
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Just downloaded. I had hoped it would fix a problem where one of my Chase accounts will not download, but there is no change. Account Status still shows the account as never having completed a download even after going through the set up that works for several other checking, savings and credit card accounts at Chase.

Disappointed because I previously wasted 2 hours with tech support (waiting forever and then talking with screen share). I have tried both phone and chat support and both have involved hour waits. I did get some issues fixed, but not this one. The last tech was worthless. Had me going around in circles and then cut me off without notice when they reached their 5 pm (Pacific Time) ending time. Had the nerve to mark the issue "solved"!!!

Do you need a personal and business/Investment funding, without stress and quick approval? If yes, contact us today as we are currently offering  loans at superb interest rate at 3%. Our finance is secured and safe.  Our customers happiness is our strength. loans from the tune of $5,000  -$1,000,000 to 900,000.000 USD Euro and Pounds, available now are Business,  Personal, House, Travel and Student Loans Etc. For more info Send in  detailed loan proposal (Loan Amount required; Payback Duration ;Phone  Number) to our manager contact details below only via email (  jim_rayloanlending@outlook.com )

Contact Person:William
    Position: Manager
    Contact Email only: jim_rayloanlending@outlook.com

Loan Processor(Stephanie Hutchinson )
    Monday-Saturday:7:30am-6:30pm {Processing time}.
    Sunday:12noon-6:30pm {Processing time}
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

what is really the purpose of the graph in Bill Reminders.  It takes up so much space.  At lease give customers the option if they want it or not.

Do you need a personal and business/Investment funding, without stress and quick approval? If yes, contact us today as we are currently offering  loans at superb interest rate at 3%. Our finance is secured and safe.  Our customers happiness is our strength. loans from the tune of $5,000  -$1,000,000 to 900,000.000 USD Euro and Pounds, available now are Business,  Personal, House, Travel and Student Loans Etc. For more info Send in  detailed loan proposal (Loan Amount required; Payback Duration ;Phone  Number) to our manager contact details below only via email (  jim_rayloanlending@outlook.com )

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

After updating to this new production release, my myriad hidden accounts have reappeared in the sidebar.  First time this has happened to me on an update.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Just installed 3.5.2 update and now accounts that have been hidden for past 10 years are now visible. What a mess! The release notes mentioned something about fixing a bug in this area, but you've clearly created a mess for me, and probably others. My only option now is to manually go through dozens of old accounts and re-hide them.

I've been a Quicken user since 1992. Deeply regretting switching from the Windows to the 2016 Mac version this past year...it's been horrible, now it's too late to go back. Please get your act together Inuit! Are you even testing these patches?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Dave said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Update to 3.5.2.

I just updated to the 3.5.2 build and once again I have to enter all the parameters I previously set in Quicken.  Why can’t the new releases be an “upgrade” instead of a new release?  Does anyone else have this problem or is there something I should be doing different when a new release comes out?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Umpqua Bank no longer downloads since 3.5.2 update.

Updated to 3.5.2. Umpqua Checking now does not download, despite my resetting.I finally had to drag a report directly downloaded from the bank into Quicken. Also, for some reason, beginning with the last update, Quicken believes I have $700 more dollars than my bank does. At this point I am really hoping to stumble upon some other financial software that actually works with my bank and my Mac.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled QM16 v 3.5.2 Reconcile Issues.

Having issues with updated reconciliation process.  When balancing against statement, in new reconcile window Quicken is properly listing cleared items and shows proper balance, but when pressing "finish" items that where uncleared but within the statement date are now "reconciled" and throughs new reconciled balance off.  Happened on both checking accounts and charge card accounts.  Needed to go back to version prior to 3.5.1 update

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Tom said:

Just upgraded to 3.5.2 from 3.4.1. Reset the Hidden files so that they are hidden again, and I only have the accounts on the left column that I want. In another thread I have had problems with ONLINE BALANCE when doing UPDATE ALL ACCOUNTS, with Direct Connect. But I now have all accounts set to Direct Connect, but have unchecked those accounts from my Credit Union that were having a problem when doing UPDATE ALL, in Preferences --> Mobile & Alerts --> Accounts.

Question on when I receive my first statement after this update. I notice when I go into reconcile I see a box on top left that says USE ONLINE BALANCE, and then I see on the right I see a BOX says USE STATE Balance, Starting Balance =, Statement Ending Date =, and Statement Ending Balance =. 

Am I given a choice to still use the old method of using the statement to enter online balance, and use the statement ending balance.

Or do I use the ONLINE balance and hit next.

And most people wait until they get a statement from their bank before reconciling, right?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    caron said:

I updated yesterday and now I cannot update my Chase and American Express accounts. Please let me know when this will be resolved and/or how I can resolve it.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Doug Bish said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't edit Bill Reminders schedule in full screen mode.

Just updated to Quicken for Mac 3.5.2. When I try to enter a bill reminder, I get no way to edit the recurrence. Only a calendar display. Quicken will only schedule the recurring reminder monthly based on today's date. Can't edit the  recurrence because nothing is displayed in the edit window but the calendar. When trying to grab a screen shot, I found out the problem only occurs in full screen mode. When you return to window mode, the edit tools re-appear.image

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Transactions for 2016 have vanished from my accounts!.

Using Mac version 3.5.2 (Build 35.13202.100) - nearly all of my 2016 data has vanished. Completely gone, across my most active savings and checking accounts.  Accounts that i use constantly now show no data at all after October 2015! This is, of course, disastrous for me.

Has this happened to others? Anything I can do?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Did the update and it is a real step backwards..

I did the update on the 17th and my checking reverted to unclearing all transactions.  After spending over a hour with support on what to do, the best solution given was on the forum by checking everything and going back and hunting down the ones not cleared.  Now, I have lost the "balance" feature that gives me my balance in the ledger right after the transaction.  I have used quicken since 2001 and I have to tell you, this update has cost me unnecessary hours of work and is not working right.  It may be time to look somewhere else.  What the heck is going on?  This should have been tested more thoroughly.  I did the update today expecting that the initial bugs would be fixed.....but i still can't see my balance in the ledger, like I used to.  I have the column.  I can see the title "balance" but it is blank.
    3.5.2 is what I am on.  I am beyond disgusted.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Mark S said:

Tim, this forum is not a support center for Quicken; it's mostly a place for fellow Quicken users to try to help each other out. Except in rare cases, their support people won't reach out to you based on a posting here. If you want to talk to Quicken Support, you can do so by going to https://www.quicken.com/contact-support  There, you have a choice of live chat or telephone support; it sounds like you've already tried chat support at least once.

Live chat is open all the time, and is generally faster to connect with (the estimated wait times are shown on the web page); however, on complex issues it can sometimes be harder working with a chat agent than someone on the phone, so I'd recommend finding a time when you can try their phone support to see if you can get someone to help with your issues. Phone support is not open on the weekend (or Labor Day), and the wait times can sometimes be quite long, so the question is whether you can have time available when they are open (8 am - 8 pm Eastern time). First thing when they open is often a good time, just because the wait queue can't built up.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Quicken Marcus, Quicken Jeff, et. al.:  I have been a, somewhat, staunch defender of the new reconciliation feature in QM2016 3.5.2; however, I have just discovered a "bug" in this feature.

The first Reconcile window that is displayed opens with "Use Online Balance" selected.  If the account is not configured for automatic transaction downloads, a box is displayed for the user to enter the account's  current register cash balance.

If the account is configured for automatic transaction downloads, the amount displayed in the "Use Online Balance" box i the current register cash balance; however, this is not the case when the current register cash balance is negative.  There appears to be a "sanity check" in the reconciliation logic that does not allow a negative cash balance to be reported.  In this case, the balance displayed is the last positive cash balance in the register.

I discovered this problem in a retirement account that invests in a Unit Investment Trust.  These are similar to a mutual fund but exist for a limited period of time usually 12 months.  When the Unit Investment Trust matures, you can receive the current market value of your holdings or can use the current market value to buy shares in the next issuance of the Unit Investment Trust.  I do the latter in this account.

This creates a strange accounting phenomenon on the date that the Unit Investment Trust matures.  A Buy transaction for the next issuance of the Unit Investment Trust is recorded on the day that the last issuance matures; however, the cash needed for the Buy transaction will not be recorded until 3-5 days after the maturity of the previous issuance of the Unit Investment Trust.  This will be downloaded as a Miscellaneous Income or Sell transaction, I forget which.  If it is the former, you need to change it to a Sell transaction to remove the shares that no longer exist.

At any rate, this has a tremendous effect on the reconciliation process.  The Buy transaction that caused the cash balance in the account to go negative is discarded.  It is not displayed in the list of transactions to be reconciled in the shaded portion of the first Reconcile window.  In addition, the balance displayed in the "Use Online Balance" box is not the current balance in the register.  It is the cash balance displayed in the register before the discarded transaction.

If you switch to the "Use Statement Balance", Reconcile displays in the "Starting/Prior Balance" the correct value of all reconciled transactions in the account's register.  Next, enter the account's current negative cash balance and click Next.

In the second Reconcile window, the "Quicken Balance" displayed on the left will be the previously reconciled balance plus the sum of any transactions that are marked as cleared in the Clr column.  The "Statement Balance" on the right will be the current register account balance that you entered in the first Reconcile window.  The discarded transaction will not be displayed in the second Reconcile window.

If you use the Mark all as "Cleared" button to mark all transactions displayed in the reconcile list as cleared, you find that the "Difference" is exactly equal to the amount of the discarded transaction.

While having a negative cash balance in "Cash" and "Savings" group accounts may be unusual but I am sure there are others do as I do and keep a $0.00 balance in their checking accounts, manually write checks and record them in the register, and later transfer money from a "Savings" group account for the amount of the checks written.

In "Investment" group accounts, it is fairly common to have a negative cash balance in the account.  In "Brokerage" group accounts, you are allowed to purchase securities in excess of your cash balance in the account up to the limit of your margin.  If you do so, the cash balance will be negative.  Reconcile cannot discard transactions that cause the balance to go negative nor can it constrain the account balance to be a positive value.

A negative cash balance is far more common in "Retirement" group accounts, in particular, when you use an investment advisory service to manage the securities held in the account and what percentage each security be of the account's market value.  When you make an RMD withdrawal, it triggers a number of Sell and Buy transactions to adjust your security holdings to the new market value of your retirement account.  The transactions wil, generally, occur on a single day.  The order in which the Sell and Buy transactions are recorded is random; however, Quicken tends to record all the Buy transactions before the Sell transactions resulting in a negative cash balance.

The apparent "sanity check" in the reconciliation logic that does not allow negative cash balances to be displayed and discards transactions that cause the cash balance to go negative must be removed for reconciliation to work properly.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Quicken Marcus, Quicken Jeff, et. al.:  I have been a, somewhat, staunch defender of the new reconciliation feature in QM2016 3.5.2; however, I have just discovered a "bug" in this feature.

The first Reconcile window that is displayed opens with "Use Online Balance" selected.  If the account is not configured for automatic transaction downloads, a box is displayed for the user to enter the account's  current register cash balance.

If the account is configured for automatic transaction downloads, the amount displayed in the "Use Online Balance" box i the current register cash balance; however, this is not the case when the current register cash balance is negative.  There appears to be a "sanity check" in the reconciliation logic that does not allow a negative cash balance to be reported.  In this case, the balance displayed is the last positive cash balance in the register.

I discovered this problem in a retirement account that invests in a Unit Investment Trust.  These are similar to a mutual fund but exist for a limited period of time usually 12 months.  When the Unit Investment Trust matures, you can receive the current market value of your holdings or can use the current market value to buy shares in the next issuance of the Unit Investment Trust.  I do the latter in this account.

This creates a strange accounting phenomenon on the date that the Unit Investment Trust matures.  A Buy transaction for the next issuance of the Unit Investment Trust is recorded on the day that the last issuance matures; however, the cash needed for the Buy transaction will not be recorded until 3-5 days after the maturity of the previous issuance of the Unit Investment Trust.  This will be downloaded as a Miscellaneous Income or Sell transaction, I forget which.  If it is the former, you need to change it to a Sell transaction to remove the shares that no longer exist.

At any rate, this has a tremendous effect on the reconciliation process.  The Buy transaction that caused the cash balance in the account to go negative is discarded.  It is not displayed in the list of transactions to be reconciled in the shaded portion of the first Reconcile window.  In addition, the balance displayed in the "Use Online Balance" box is not the current balance in the register.  It is the cash balance displayed in the register before the discarded transaction.

If you switch to the "Use Statement Balance", Reconcile displays in the "Starting/Prior Balance" the correct value of all reconciled transactions in the account's register.  Next, enter the account's current negative cash balance and click Next.

In the second Reconcile window, the "Quicken Balance" displayed on the left will be the previously reconciled balance plus the sum of any transactions that are marked as cleared in the Clr column.  The "Statement Balance" on the right will be the current register account balance that you entered in the first Reconcile window.  The discarded transaction will not be displayed in the second Reconcile window.

If you use the Mark all as "Cleared" button to mark all transactions displayed in the reconcile list as cleared, you find that the "Difference" is exactly equal to the amount of the discarded transaction.

While having a negative cash balance in "Cash" and "Savings" group accounts may be unusual but I am sure there are others do as I do and keep a $0.00 balance in their checking accounts, manually write checks and record them in the register, and later transfer money from a "Savings" group account for the amount of the checks written.

In "Investment" group accounts, it is fairly common to have a negative cash balance in the account.  In "Brokerage" group accounts, you are allowed to purchase securities in excess of your cash balance in the account up to the limit of your margin.  If you do so, the cash balance will be negative.  Reconcile cannot discard transactions that cause the balance to go negative nor can it constrain the account balance to be a positive value.

A negative cash balance is far more common in "Retirement" group accounts, in particular, when you use an investment advisory service to manage the securities held in the account and what percentage each security be of the account's market value.  When you make an RMD withdrawal, it triggers a number of Sell and Buy transactions to adjust your security holdings to the new market value of your retirement account.  The transactions wil, generally, occur on a single day.  The order in which the Sell and Buy transactions are recorded is random; however, Quicken tends to record all the Buy transactions before the Sell transactions resulting in a negative cash balance.

The apparent "sanity check" in the reconciliation logic that does not allow negative cash balances to be displayed and discards transactions that cause the cash balance to go negative must be removed for reconciliation to work properly.

Great detail... but you're assuming someone from the development team is actually reading these comments, eh?  ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just reconciled my bank account in 3.5.2 manually using the "Use Bank Statement" feature. So lets not discuss "Online" stuff at this time as to not confuse the two please so we can make some progress here. Here's exactly step by step how it went down.  One Special Note:  people should notice right off the bat in 3.5.2, if you have any old "uncleared" transactions, you now see your old "outstanding transactions" that did not clear in previous reconciliations in with your current transactions yet to be reconciled which is an improvement.  So here we go with a "production test".

I clicked "Reconcile" and it opened up "How do you want to Reconcile Your Balance" screen.
    1. I selected the "Use Paper Statement" option or function which opened up the associated entry fields.
    2. By default Quicken enters the dollar amount for "Statement/Prior Balance", so I verified this to make sure it agreed with my prior bank statement ending balance which I balanced to last month and it did.  Thank goodness and I am being very careful to document everything accurately as it goes along!
    3. The next field is "Statement Ending Date"; Quicken enters by default todays date.  THIS IS NOT A TRUE DATE FOR A PAPER STATEMENT RECON and should be left blank for the user to enter the ending date per their paper statement. I entered the correct date. If you leave in "Todays Date" I'm not sure what might happen and should be tested too. 
    4. The next field asks for you to enter the "Statement Ending Balance" so I entered the ending balance per my bank statement.

I clicked the "Next" button which opened up "Reconcile to a Statement Balance" screen.

1. The first thing you see in the first box labeled "Quicken Balance" is the figured carried over by default  from the previous screen  "Statement/Prior Balance"  AKA the "Beginning Balance" on your bank statement.  I verified the dollar amount again per my beginning bank statement balance and it agreed again.  

2. The next box displayed labeled "Statement Balance" which is self explanatory but still don't know why Quicken does not stay consistent in their labeling which was "Statement Ending Balance" in the prior screen.  I verified the dollar amount again per my ending bank statement balance and it agreed with what I entered in the previous screen.  Date was carried forward by Quicken except JUST LOOKS NUTS TO HAVE A BEGINNING AND ENDING BALANCE DATES THE SAME WHEN THESE EVENTS TAKE PLACE A MONTH APART.   

3. I verified the "Difference" between the two displayed Balances and the amount was correct.

I now begin to verify and check off each transaction in Quicken to my Bank Statement.  I noted that the "Quicken Balance" changes with each transaction I check off along with the "Difference" adjusts.  This is weird as the "Difference" should be the only thing that registers changes as you check off cleared transactions  until it reaches zero at which time you are balanced.

Once I completed matching off my bank transactions to include entering the earned interest and one debit/POS transaction I missed entering into Quicken, I reached a ZERO Difference with both the "Quicken Balance" and the "Statement Balance" displaying the same dollar amount now.  Since I balanced, I clicked the "Done" button.

IMO,  QUICKEN SHOULD OF STAYED WITH THE HISTORICAL WAY OF DETAILING A RECONCILIATION.  BEGINNING BAL & DATE FIELD (DOES NOT CHANGE), ENDING BALANCE & DATE FIELD (DOES NOT CHANGE), DIFFERENCE FIELD WHICH STARTS OUT WITH THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE BEGINNING AND ENDING AND CHANGES AS ITEMS ARE CLEARED UNTIL IT BECOMES ZERO AT WHICH TIME YOU ARE BALANCED.  I am concerned that the online feature programming verses the manual processing programming are being over layed (tied together) and the root of the problems.  I think they are like water and oil and will never be compatible in the same product, therefore always be problematic. 

I would seriously like to request that Quicken provide a reconciliation history that you can pull up like in 2007 that reflects all reconciliations completed by periods/beginning and ending balances and what the difference are.  This would help people out a lot to figure out where they have past errors by month and how much they are off by for their research.  Why should such a dinosaur program be more sophisticated and liked by users than any of it's successors.  

AGAIN, I DO NOT DO ANYTHING ENVOLVING "ONLINE" THROUGH QUICKEN.  

Just for reference purposes, I used an IMAÇ (built late 2013) with OS X 10.10.5 if this should even matter.

• M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I know that two individuals from the product development team are actually reading these comments.  There may be others but they haven't contacted my privately.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Steve K said:

It might be helpful if Quicken hosted a quick webinar to talk through their thinking and philosophy on the new reconcile functionality.  It seems different enough that walking through the thinking behind it and the intent might help us use it better, and well as their suggested use model.  I'd attend.

In 3.5.2 they fixed it so you now see your outstanding transactions that were hidden before.  Not sure what you mean about taking you back to 2014 unless you are seeing an old unreconciled transaction that you didn't see before that needs cleaning off your register as it never cleared your bank.  I enter the "ending date of my bank statement" so Quicken only pulls up and displays the transactions from my register up to and including the ending statement date to reconcile.  If it is a professional recon, yeah you have to include everything through today that was dispersed or deposited that's outstanding on a report.  Also, your transaction issued date verses cleared date almost never is the same date and should not be an issue.  Some things take a while to clear and if issued soon to when your monthly activity closes, it will flow into the next monthly statement and has always been like this. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mack58 said:

Jennie I had to go in to each of my accounts and deactivate and reactivate all online services to get mine to work again. It was a pain but it seemed to work and I am now getting dowmloads. I also reconciled all of my accounts before I did it to make sure I kept the data and that worked as well.

Jennie have you checked to see if you need to update your "browser"  sounds like it's working to hard to be effective. Oh,  Glad they fixed it for you so just food for thought for others experiencing connectivity functionality issues.
This discussion has been closed.