Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Options

Comments

• Mark Homer
    Mark Homer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    opt said:

Was hoping that 2017 would be the year for budgets with account selection options. How about it?

I voted for this feature. I have to say that I was very excited for budgeting in quicken for mac, but as loan accounts (mortgages, car, etc.) and savings/investment account transfers are not trackable in a budget it really does not show me the right picture. That is a significant part of my budget each month.  I am back to resorting to exporting to a spreadsheet and managing there, which takes an extra hour or two each month. I was really hoping the budgeting and mobile app convenience would give me a better week to week picture of things. Very hopeful that account transfers gets put into budgets soon!
  • mindyflauto
    mindyflauto Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    in Q 2017 for Mac, is it still possible to batch edit categories
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DougM said:

Q2017 is a definite improvement over previous Mac versions and brings me closer to being able to transition from being a long standing Quicken for Windows user, but there are still some differences/deficiencies that make such a transition difficult.

1) There appears to be no means of establishing and tracking savings goals which is a crucial function in any personal finance software. There is no stand alone savings goal function. An obvious workaround would be to set a category for transfers to savings/brokerage accounts to be able to set and track savings goals in a budget. However, transfers do not appear in category views and thus are not picked up in category related reports or budgets. The Quicken Help file indicates that categories can be assigned to transfers for rare cases where one wants to track them in reports and budgets (as income or expense) but in fact changing the category does not move the transaction to a dedicated category or allow it to appear in budgets. The newly created category exists, can be seen in a budget, but none of the transfer transactions assigned to that category appear in either reports or budgets. The balance is always zero regardless of how many transactions are assigned to that category. Please fix this category view problem in the short term, and add a savings goal creation and tracking function in the future.

2) Calendar view is very difficult to glean information from at a glance. Some very basic visual improvements to the calendar view would make this much more useful and more in line with the Windows versions. There is no color or shading distinction between income and expense transactions and one must squint and look at each transaction in each day of the months for the little "-" sign as the only visual distinction between income and expense transactions. Folks, that is just plain silly and something that is handled well in the Windows versions (income is green, expense is yellow). Please add clear color coding for income versus expense transactions.

3) Similarly to the income and expense transactions in calendar view, there is no clear visual distinction between scheduled and entered transactions on the calendar view except the tiny clock symbol that again has to be searched for day-by-day instead of being able to glance at the calendar and know what needs attention. The Windows version leaves the scheduled transactions colored (income is green and expense is yellow) and thus visually obvious that action of some sort is required for those transactions. The entered transactions are just greyscale. Please add a clear visual distinction between scheduled and entered transactions. 

4) The calendar view contains very useful balance information, especially if you limit the accounts in the calendar view to things like checking or savings accounts in which you want to track the balances and quickly see if you have the room for more spending or saving at any given point in time now or in the future. Quicken for Windows gives a very helpful and visually obvious daily bar graph at the bottom of the calendar view so that one can see the low point of balances in a given month quickly and clearly. The Mac version calendar requires that you look at the balance figure at the bottom of each day to try to find the low point in any given period which frankly is easily missed.  The only other means of discerning this information is to leave the calendar view entirely and look in the "Bills" tab and set up a graph. This really defeats the purpose of having the calendar. Please add a clear bar graph for balances similar to that for the Windows versions.

5) Transaction downloading for various accounts seems to be far more limited than the Windows versions as major credit card companies I have been downloading for years in Quicken for Windows are manual updates for the Mac. Notably missing is Discover Card and many other credit card and loan companies. If Mint and Personal Capital can do it as free services, surely Quicken could.

I appreciate all the work that is going into trying to make the Mac version of Quicken more comparable to the Windows versions and the new ownership/management of Quicken are obviously trying hard to make this happen where Intuit had all but ignored the matter. I am grateful for this. As a decades long user of Quicken for Windows I have tried many times to migrate to the Mac version so that I can quit running Windows as a virtual machine on my Macs. Every Mac Quicken version to date has been so lacking in features that have long been standard in the Windows versions as to make them deal breakers. I am trying again with Q2017 for Mac and it is indeed much better. But there is a long way to go before it compares to the functionality of the Windows versions. Please keep plugging away on this folks, there are a lot of Mac users out there and the numbers are growing.

Thank you!

Let me further add how annoying it is to watch the online update of all my transactions show exactly different forms of "Please wait while we (connect, update, recover, authorize)" but no indication of what's actually happening.   I much prefer the old method of seeing progress of each connection as it proceeds so it actually appears that there is some progress during the update instead of just a beach ball....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DougM said:

Q2017 is a definite improvement over previous Mac versions and brings me closer to being able to transition from being a long standing Quicken for Windows user, but there are still some differences/deficiencies that make such a transition difficult.

1) There appears to be no means of establishing and tracking savings goals which is a crucial function in any personal finance software. There is no stand alone savings goal function. An obvious workaround would be to set a category for transfers to savings/brokerage accounts to be able to set and track savings goals in a budget. However, transfers do not appear in category views and thus are not picked up in category related reports or budgets. The Quicken Help file indicates that categories can be assigned to transfers for rare cases where one wants to track them in reports and budgets (as income or expense) but in fact changing the category does not move the transaction to a dedicated category or allow it to appear in budgets. The newly created category exists, can be seen in a budget, but none of the transfer transactions assigned to that category appear in either reports or budgets. The balance is always zero regardless of how many transactions are assigned to that category. Please fix this category view problem in the short term, and add a savings goal creation and tracking function in the future.

2) Calendar view is very difficult to glean information from at a glance. Some very basic visual improvements to the calendar view would make this much more useful and more in line with the Windows versions. There is no color or shading distinction between income and expense transactions and one must squint and look at each transaction in each day of the months for the little "-" sign as the only visual distinction between income and expense transactions. Folks, that is just plain silly and something that is handled well in the Windows versions (income is green, expense is yellow). Please add clear color coding for income versus expense transactions.

3) Similarly to the income and expense transactions in calendar view, there is no clear visual distinction between scheduled and entered transactions on the calendar view except the tiny clock symbol that again has to be searched for day-by-day instead of being able to glance at the calendar and know what needs attention. The Windows version leaves the scheduled transactions colored (income is green and expense is yellow) and thus visually obvious that action of some sort is required for those transactions. The entered transactions are just greyscale. Please add a clear visual distinction between scheduled and entered transactions. 

4) The calendar view contains very useful balance information, especially if you limit the accounts in the calendar view to things like checking or savings accounts in which you want to track the balances and quickly see if you have the room for more spending or saving at any given point in time now or in the future. Quicken for Windows gives a very helpful and visually obvious daily bar graph at the bottom of the calendar view so that one can see the low point of balances in a given month quickly and clearly. The Mac version calendar requires that you look at the balance figure at the bottom of each day to try to find the low point in any given period which frankly is easily missed.  The only other means of discerning this information is to leave the calendar view entirely and look in the "Bills" tab and set up a graph. This really defeats the purpose of having the calendar. Please add a clear bar graph for balances similar to that for the Windows versions.

5) Transaction downloading for various accounts seems to be far more limited than the Windows versions as major credit card companies I have been downloading for years in Quicken for Windows are manual updates for the Mac. Notably missing is Discover Card and many other credit card and loan companies. If Mint and Personal Capital can do it as free services, surely Quicken could.

I appreciate all the work that is going into trying to make the Mac version of Quicken more comparable to the Windows versions and the new ownership/management of Quicken are obviously trying hard to make this happen where Intuit had all but ignored the matter. I am grateful for this. As a decades long user of Quicken for Windows I have tried many times to migrate to the Mac version so that I can quit running Windows as a virtual machine on my Macs. Every Mac Quicken version to date has been so lacking in features that have long been standard in the Windows versions as to make them deal breakers. I am trying again with Q2017 for Mac and it is indeed much better. But there is a long way to go before it compares to the functionality of the Windows versions. Please keep plugging away on this folks, there are a lot of Mac users out there and the numbers are growing.

Thank you!

I just did my daily updates - downloading transactions, entering receipts, and quick scan.    I was able to do my download, enter several credit card receipts, and perform a file backup in Quicken Windows 2015 - while I'm still waiting for the download to process in Quicken Mac 2017.    Pathetic.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DougM said:

Thank you!

I suggest you add these as ideas so that people can add their votes to each one.  Thanks for raising these. 
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • JOHN M MALONEY
    JOHN M MALONEY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    i wouldn't have purchased QM17 if I knew there would be a whole bunch of problems and bugs.
    obviously the software was not checked out properly.  Too bad.
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

ALSO NOTICED THAT ITEMS ALREADY REVIEWED ARE ONCE BEING ASKED TO REVIEW THE ITEMS AGAIN   THIS APPEARS ON ALL THE ACCOUNTS AND GOES BACK MANY MONTHS.

I had that too after upgrading.  Some accounts had unreviewed items all the way back to 2014. It was a pain but once I got them all marked as reviewed, I haven't had any trouble with that since. 
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

Yes, select the transactions you want to change and right click and select edit transaction. You have the option to batch edit the payee, the category, the tag, and/or the memo.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

BUT there's one big caveat: Batch editing doesn't apply to transactions with splits, so you have to proceed carefully to make sure you're changing all the transactions you intend to.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Mac 2017 mobile app search feature is not working when searching by amount. Any 'special instructions on its use'?
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

i wouldn't have purchased QM17 if I knew there would be a whole bunch of problems and bugs.

John, I have yet to see a release of Quicken, even going back a decade or more, where there weren't some problems that users complained about. Sometimes there is a bug in the code, and severe ones tend to get fixed pretty quickly. Sometimes, individual users have problems with Quicken and their data, and assume the problem is universal, but it's really just something they are doing or something with their specific data. And sometimes, the problem is external -- like a particular financial institution changing their login screen or process -- which just coincidentally occurs near the time of a Quicken software update.

So if you're having problems, you probably should use Quicken Support (phone or chat) to see if they can help you. 

Or, if you are too frustrated or unhappy, you can just request a refund. Just be sure to do so within 60 days of purchase.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    2017 Mac New Reports feature: Please add drill down from the report so I can see transaction details.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

You can now VOTE for the feature to Improve Batch Editing to include changing Split transactions, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/improve-batch-editing-to-include-changing-split-...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

I've purchased QMac 2017 at the reduced price - thank you - but haven't installed it yet.  Want to make sure I've got backups of QMac 2016 and its database backups on TimeMachine first.  Will Quicken Mac 2016 continue to work including investment & bank transaction downloads?

Spend the money wisely!

I got to it by doing a google search for upgrade to Quicken Mac 2017 with $10 discount. It found the link, and it worked.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    opt said:

2017 Mac New Reports feature: Please add drill down from the report so I can see transaction details.

You can now VOTE for the feature to Add the Ability to Drill Down on ANY Report, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-the-ability-to-drill-down-on-any-report-in-q...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DougM said:

Thank you!

... or create a new post and categorize it as a problem. Unfortunately, this long thread about the release of Quicken 2017 rambles over a wide variety of issues, and I don't know how whether anyone from the development team keeps up with all the comments. Posting in a new questions gives your particular problem individual focus, and perhaps some other Quicken users here might have some suggestions -- or it can be brought to the attention of the Quicken team.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Marcus.....Any timeline on adding functionality for loan amortization and debt reduction planner?
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Installed 2017 this evening.  Some things are quicker like initial launching and securities price download.  I noticed that the saved backup file is much smaller than the database.quicken2017 file. Mine is 155Mb and the backup is 86Mb.  Why the difference?  So far so good. Will see how it handles the next batch of transactions when they download.

Good idea. Why doesn't it also remove the backup from my working database then? It's still at the 155Mb size while backup files I create are 86Mb?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Installed 2017 this evening.  Some things are quicker like initial launching and securities price download.  I noticed that the saved backup file is much smaller than the database.quicken2017 file. Mine is 155Mb and the backup is 86Mb.  Why the difference?  So far so good. Will see how it handles the next batch of transactions when they download.

In the mean time you can do it manually. It is quite easy. Follow these simple steps. But first make sure you have a backup, in case something goes wrong.
    1. find your data file in the Finder
    2. Right-click the data file and select Show Package Contents
    3. Find the backup data file and drag it to the trash
    4. close the package window.
    Done.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Looking in the Package Contents I don't see anything that specifically looks like a backup.  There is a data file of 117Mb but I don't find anything else of size of the database.  Will it as is for now.  Thanks for the pointer though.
  • JOHN M MALONEY
    JOHN M MALONEY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thanks for your reply.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

These are all great comments.  Thanks.  Harold, we probably won't be able to get to specific lot management in the next 60 days so I'm afraid we'll probably lose you on the Mac product for now but this is definitely on our road map and when we do add it I'm hoping you'll take a look at the Mac product again.

I  agree with the comment about the blue bar being somewhat not Mac standard.  We debated about always showing the menu or only when the user clicks on the arrow.  I think this makes sense for Budget and Calendar but I'm not sure it was the right decision for reports.  Quite honestly we rely pretty heavily on our beta testers for comments and most people seemed to like the current design.  We would have changed it if everyone hated it.  It basically works like a combo box on Windows which I like but I'm not sure it works when the "button" is a tab.  Anyway, we consider this a transitional interface until we have time to develop a new header design across all the views. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

These are all great comments.  Thanks.  Harold, we probably won't be able to get to specific lot management in the next 60 days so I'm afraid we'll probably lose you on the Mac product for now but this is definitely on our road map and when we do add it I'm hoping you'll take a look at the Mac product again.

I  agree with the comment about the blue bar being somewhat not Mac standard.  We debated about always showing the menu or only when the user clicks on the arrow.  I think this makes sense for Budget and Calendar but I'm not sure it was the right decision for reports.  Quite honestly we rely pretty heavily on our beta testers for comments and most people seemed to like the current design.  We would have changed it if everyone hated it.  It basically works like a combo box on Windows which I like but I'm not sure it works when the "button" is a tab.  Anyway, we consider this a transitional interface until we have time to develop a new header design across all the views. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

Where did the box go to upgrade today and save $10? I couldn't upgrade at that moment and now I can't find that box anywhere.

Hi Marys, can you tell everyone else how you found it.  I personally don't know and I work here.  Thanks.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

We don't store a backup in your current file.  It's interesting to hear that your backup files are so much smaller.  I don't know why that would be.   We used to also store the imported file into the main app file in case something went wrong but I don't think we do that any more either.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    megnmac said:

I have used a Mac for more than 20 years, and Quicken for Mac almost that long. Why would I want it to look like Windows? I am now using Quicken for Mac 2016.  What new features would make an upgrade worth the money? As others have noted, I am also maintaining 2007.

The change wasn't specifically to make it look more like Windows.  The goal was to separate features from accounts.  We interviewed a number of customers who didn't even know there were reports or budgets because they never found them on the sidebar.  We know from usability testing that having them at the top gives them a much higher visibility.  This just so happens to match the previous Win design. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

Quicken Marcus, are there plans to Automate the Scheduled Transactions (like in QM 2007)?

We allow you to set up bill pay scheduled transactions that will automatically appear in your register. When you double click them it will ask if you want to pay them.

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bo said:

Thanks everyone for their comparisons to QM2007.  I too am a QM2007 holdout but want to try 2017.  Keep the comments coming.  I mostly want to keep the Portfolio and Investment capabilities, as well as, custom reports from QM2007.  I suppose I could just download it and do the side-by-side too and "refund" it < 60 days.  Thanks for everyone's insight!

I think the sync errors you are referring to occur only if you sync with mobile and as afar as we can tell happens because of non-standard characters in the account name.  So most people aren't seeing this.  We have a ticket against our cloud team to fit it but you can fix it now by eliminating slashes and dashes or non-letters in the investment account names.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

Let's be clear.  Macintosh Quicken went thru a revolution last year!  Because of that I am going to settle for the "annual" upgrade payment to KEEP THE new programmers programming away!.

I have used Macintosh Quicken 2016 all year long and it has been a payment tool god-send.  Being a Quicken user since day one practically (first version on Macintosh) it is critical that I can easily continue to manage all of my account balances and payments in one single application.  The lack of a good Macintosh Quicken for a long time sent me to Windows Quicken using VMWARE on Macintosh and that was just silly.

Keep up the good work guys! (I never could figure out how to setup my auto-pay on my mortgage for the interest and principle, I hope I will see that in this version or updates).

The loan amortization feature is not in 2017 but we know is the top requested feature.  We're doing our planning now.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

I haven't figured how to access the new Comparison Report. I don't see it as a choice the Reports pull-down.  Didn't find anything on it in the Help either.  A hint please?

You don't have to use the arrow next to the word Reports.  You can always click on the Report menu on the main main bar.  In other words, the arrow on the tab is optional and for power users.  Everyone else can use the main menu.   We are working on drill down for a category report as we speak.
This discussion has been closed.