Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Options

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).

Marla, many users nowadays don't have disk drives. (In fact the version on a CD does nothing more than immediately download the current version from Quicken the first time you launch it.) You can purchase a download version direct from Quicken, from Amazon.com, or other resellers, in addition to the Mac App Store. My recommendation is to NOT buy from the Mac App store, but any of the other sites, because you get updates anywhere from a week to several weeks earlier (due to Apple's sometimes lengthy review process). Amazon now has it at a discount -- $62.43 today, versus $74.95.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

I just want to give some praise. I REALLY like the new Quicken Mac 2017! I just found the new comparison reports. They are great, and I look forward to more reporting options in the future! I've used Quicken since the mid 90s. I upgraded from Quicken Mac 2016 but prior to that I used windows versions for many years and Mac before that. I had finally given up completely on Quicken in the fall of 2015 while using Quicken 2015 Rental Property windows version because of so many glitches and constant troubleshooting. And then Intuit sold Quicken, and I decided to try again with Quicken Mac 2016 and now Quicken Mac 2017. Kudos! My old very LARGE data file is once again useful! Thanks.

Clare, if you have the time and interest, Quicken welcomes additional beta testers. Go to this page to see how to apply to be a beta tester. Of course, beta testing of the release of Quicken 2017 is complete now that the product is on the market, but there is year 'round testing that will likely resume whenever the next update is ready.
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

There hasn't been a Canadian Version of Quicken Mac in years. I don't believe there will be one for 2017 either.

QMAC 2017 works for Canadian as 2016 version, web download from banks. I do not use Bill Pay, and the Tax section is for US only, as in QMAC 2016.

The Mobile app works as advertised. I have to create a free US Apple ID to download it though, since it is not available from App Store Canada.

The application itself allows me to register with full Canadian address (province and postal code). You can use any US address to place the order. (In my case the Canadian postal code is auto filled from my Quicken account).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

I upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2007 to Quicken for Mac 2017 on Oct. 14. The new program imported my old file successfully, but there is a problem with investment portfolio transactions. I have always entered such transactions manually, not via download from banks. These transactions were imported successfully, but Quicken considers them as having been downloaded from an institution. When I manually enter a new purchase of a security (number of shares, cost per share, date, etc.), it seems to work OK, but in the portfolio view, there is no increase in the number of shares owned. Let's say I bought ten shares. When I click on the new transaction in the portfolio view, I get these messages: "You have shares missing cost and acquisition date", "Shares reported by brokerage: 100; Shares tracked in Quicken: 110; Shares unaccounted for: 10" Using the settings tab, I confirm that "This account is not setup for transaction download"
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

On the new quicken for Mac 2017 is possible to make Transfers between Accounts, not only for Credit Cards
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

Postelle

Sounds like you are the 'victim' of a Placeholder transaction.
    Open the transaction register.
    Suggest you add the Share Balance column to the display (temporarily at least).
    Set the Date filter for All Dates.
    Sort by Date.
    Filter the register for the security in question - enter the security name in the Search box at upper-right.
    You now have a transaction history for the security.
    Scroll to the earliest dated transaction.
    A Placeholder is characterized by a faded font and will show as an 'adjustment' to Share Balance.
    Delete this transaction - it will not return.
    Your final share balance should now be correct.

You will likely have to repeat this for other holdings in the account.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

This seems to be a common theme whenever a major software transition takes place i.e. from Q2007 or QW..The place holder is usually the culprit unless the data file is corrupted.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

That seems to have solved the problem. Thanks very much.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

Jesus: yes, you can transfer funds between any Quicken accounts. This is not a new feature, though; it's existed in the prior years versions as well as the legacy Quicken for Mac and Quicken for Windows.

(I don't think this is what you were asking about, but I should note that Quicken for Mac does not allow transferring investment holdings from one investment account to the other. For instance, if you have 100 shares of Apple stock in a Fidelity account, and you transfer that stock to TD Ameritrade, you can't just drag the holding from one account to the other in Quicken for Mac; you have to liquidate it in one account, transfer the cash value, and buy/add it in the other account -- a process which isn't too bad if you don't do this often, but wrecks tracking your holding's date of acquisition.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

Does Quicken 2017 for Mac support memorized transactions, such as Paychecks so I don't have to type in all the withholdings for every paycheck?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

Yes...QM2017 stores ALL payees with the last categorization used. Unfortunately, there is no way to LOCK the payee and categorization, so a change replaces the last categorization used. 

You may also want to VOTE for the feature to LOCK a payee and categorization, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-lock-a-payee-and-categorization-i...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of THAT feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

jacobs: thank you for your replay. I ́m using quicken for Mac 2016 v3.5.2. the transfers i want to make is between cheking accounts not investments. I know you can do it in Quicken for windows.
    Could you be so kind to tell me how to do it on Mac.
    Thank you  
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

Chris Teague

Yes, in QMac you can set up scheduled transactions (Bill Reminders). These scheduled transactions can be set up with splits such as a paycheck.
    See this video - it is from QMac2015 but applies to later versions as well;

Paychecks
    Quicken user since 1991

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

Jesus

Here is a link to a video on Transfers in QMac;

Transfers
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

I upgraded to MAC 2017.. I have one account that quicken shows as a dead account (not dead) .. Ive tried to relink account / deactivate and reactivate etc.. no success.. any thoughts?
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

Jesus: Transferring between checking accounts is quite easy. The key is to make the Transfer column visible in each register if it is not already. (Surprisingly, Quicken has it hidden by default.) Click on the Columns icon on the right side of the bottom toolbar, then click on Transfer to make the Transfer column visible.

Let's say the money is coming out of an account called Checking ABC and being transferred to Checking DEF. Open the register for the account you're transferring money out of, Checking ABC. Create a New transaction. Enter the date, and call the Payee something like "Transfer" or "Transfer to DEF Checking". Don't put anything in the Category column. In the Transfer column click on the little up/down arrows on the right side to get the pop-up menu of all your accounts, and select the account you're transferring to, Checking DEF. Enter the amount you've transferred. Save the transaction. That's it. If you look at the other checking account, you'll see the same transaction, in the opposite direction (e.g. money in). 
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

Do you know anyone with a US credit card and US mailing address?  That's where the error occurs in purchasing.  It will not except Canadian addresses.
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

This is the best Mac Quicken so far... It is still not as good as Quicken for Windows... Off hand there is no multi currency which is important the whole world has not one currency as some of you guys think there are other currencies you know... I hope one day after almost 26 years Quicken decides do something for Mac User...
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Seeing trend of issues with shares and investments.  The transactions appear to be correct but in portfolio view the number of shares doesn't increase or decrease. 
    ~~~***~~~
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Turns out you can use any valid US address. It does not need to match your Canadian credit card and does not have to be the final address for your final registration. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Seeing trend of issues with shares and investments.  The transactions appear to be correct but in portfolio view the number of shares doesn't increase or decrease. 

Most of these have to do with placeholder entries made by Quicken. Removing them often solves the problems.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

jacobs thank you so much, now it works
    Regards
    Jesus
  • Drew
    Drew Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drew said:

Having a couple issues with 2017 so far:

1.  As with 2016, I'm backing up my 2017 files (using "Save a Backup) to my iCloud drive.  I'm finding that in contrast to 2016, which would back up and sync in a minute or two (1.2GB file), the 2017 files is taking at least 15 minutes to backup and sync.  I tried one right after the other, and the behavior of the 2017 file is problematic.  I've tried on two different fast internet connections with no change.

2.  The 2017 file backup has a blank white icon.

That's it for now.

Does anyone from Quicken want to weigh in on this?  It's a behavior that will likely have me staying with 2016 and returning 2017.
  • Drew
    Drew Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drew said:

1.  As with 2016, I'm backing up my 2017 files (using "Save a Backup) to my iCloud drive.  I'm finding that in contrast to 2016, which would back up and sync in a minute or two (1.2GB file), the 2017 files is taking at least 15 minutes to backup and sync.  I tried one right after the other, and the behavior of the 2017 file is problematic.  I've tried on two different fast internet connections with no change.

That's it for now.

Does anyone from Quicken want to weigh in on this?  It's a behavior that will likely have me staying with 2016 and returning 2017.
  • Drew
    Drew Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm seeing another frustrating condition in 2017 that had pretty much been worked out in 2015-16.  When I download transactions (and I'm sure everyone sees this), duplicate transactions are often present.  In 2016, they were very easy to spot (via the checked boxes in the sea of green "reconciled" checkmarks), and easy to reconcile by dragging the dupes into the already reconciled transactions.  However, in 2017 the duplicate transactions are shown as already reconciled, and cannot be dragged and dropped into their duplicates.   

I've only downloaded one time, but I saw this occur with several transactions in 2017.  The same download in my 2016 file shows no duplicates at all.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Do attachments not transfer when upgrading from Quicken Windows to the new Mac version? I've liked what I've seen so far with the updated Mac version, but don't see my attachments?????
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Do attachments not transfer when upgrading from Quicken Windows to the new Mac version? I've liked what I've seen so far with the updated Mac version, but don't see my attachments?????

Attachment s will not transfer from QW into QM
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

That is correct. It is documented in the What data gets carried over article.

You can add your VOTE for the feature to Carry Forward of Attachments from the Windows version, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-carry-forward-of-attachments-to-quicken-for-...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of THAT feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

• jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drew said:

That's it for now.

Drew, as you've seen, product manager Marcus occasionally reads and replies to some posts here, but if the past is a guide, he usually drops out of posting after the first few days of the new release.

It might help get this issue greater visibility if you copied and pasted your observations about speed in a New Post. Unfortunately, these threads about a new release get so long and fragmented that it becomes hard for anyone to keep up with all the subtopics.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    James W. said:

Marcus.....Any timeline on adding functionality for loan amortization and debt reduction planner?

smayer97 sums it up perfectly.  The basic functionality to track all aspect of loans...as is the case in Windows versions.
This discussion has been closed.