Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Options

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Greg said:

Quicken Marcus, Why is it to much to ask to have the MAC version have the same features as Windows version? I think it is ridiculous to vote on which features to add. Start by giving all the same features, then ask for improvement ideas for the program as a whole. Don't treat Mac users as second class.

two words...resources and priorities. So they are looking for input to drive the latter because it takes time, and clearly they have finite resources. Clearly they cannot meet everyone's needs all at once.

I wish they would get more resources on board sooner but until they do, we at least have an opportunity to direct their priorities to get the features we want most first. So to that end, why not take advantage of that and cast your votes?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi,
    I notice my quicken logs into my bank account when I am not home, how do I change the setting from auto log in so it only logs in when I tell it to.
    Thanks
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Let's be clear.  Macintosh Quicken went thru a revolution last year!  Because of that I am going to settle for the "annual" upgrade payment to KEEP THE new programmers programming away!.

I have used Macintosh Quicken 2016 all year long and it has been a payment tool god-send.  Being a Quicken user since day one practically (first version on Macintosh) it is critical that I can easily continue to manage all of my account balances and payments in one single application.  The lack of a good Macintosh Quicken for a long time sent me to Windows Quicken using VMWARE on Macintosh and that was just silly.

Keep up the good work guys! (I never could figure out how to setup my auto-pay on my mortgage for the interest and principle, I hope I will see that in this version or updates).

I'll second NLH Quicken1989's comment.  I've been very impressed with the progress that Quicken has made over the last year and look forward to many improvements.  Go Marcus Go!
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    James W. said:

Marcus.....Any timeline on adding functionality for loan amortization and debt reduction planner?

I agree with smayer97!  Great summary of functionality.  QM2007 was really good in this regard.  
  • JOHN M MALONEY
    JOHN M MALONEY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

I just want to give some praise. I REALLY like the new Quicken Mac 2017! I just found the new comparison reports. They are great, and I look forward to more reporting options in the future! I've used Quicken since the mid 90s. I upgraded from Quicken Mac 2016 but prior to that I used windows versions for many years and Mac before that. I had finally given up completely on Quicken in the fall of 2015 while using Quicken 2015 Rental Property windows version because of so many glitches and constant troubleshooting. And then Intuit sold Quicken, and I decided to try again with Quicken Mac 2016 and now Quicken Mac 2017. Kudos! My old very LARGE data file is once again useful! Thanks.

Keep up the good work. Thanks
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Quicken Marcus, are there plans to Automate the Scheduled Transactions (like in QM 2007)?

I cannot get to my computer to try it again, but it seemed different if you have a scheduled transaction that is set up as an online payment.  I believe if you click pay now, it pays and sends not giving you an opportunity to change the amount.  
    Again, just trying to use my memory to comment.  I will have to try it again when I have a payment to be made.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Greg said:

Quicken Marcus, Why is it to much to ask to have the MAC version have the same features as Windows version? I think it is ridiculous to vote on which features to add. Start by giving all the same features, then ask for improvement ideas for the program as a whole. Don't treat Mac users as second class.

Greg: "Start by giving all the same features" might be a two or more year project. So even if they were committed to doing that, there's still a question of which things to prioritize to do first. Also, by asking for user input, they're trying to avoid re-creating some features that few people ever use. And they're trying to make sure there aren't better ways to do certain things than the way features have been tacked onto the Windows version over nearly three decades. But mostly, as smayer97 says, it's to guide their planning of which of many possible features to tackle sooner rather than later, since the small development team can't "do it all" at once.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi,
    I notice my quicken logs into my bank account when I am not home, how do I change the setting from auto log in so it only logs in when I tell it to.
    Thanks

If your connection method to your bank is Quicken Connect, that means a Quicken server will log into your bank once a day to download your current data; when you launch Quicken, you're downloading from the Quicken server, not your bank. There is no way to control when the Quicken server contacts

Your bank to fetch your transactions. If your bank supports Direct Connect for connection, you connect directly to your bank when you use Quicken, without the background server connecting at random times.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).

Hi. I just bought Quick for Mac 2017 from quicken.com and I setup automatic transaction download; however, all transactions are being accepted automatically and I want to review the downloads and then confirm the acceptance like what happened on Quicken for Windows. How do i do this?

Also, I am constantly having to reenter my credentials when I sync even though the checkbox to add them to the password vault is selected.

Quicken 2017 for Mac also doesn’t appear to always be syncing to mobile.
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

ALSO NOTICED THAT ITEMS ALREADY REVIEWED ARE ONCE BEING ASKED TO REVIEW THE ITEMS AGAIN   THIS APPEARS ON ALL THE ACCOUNTS AND GOES BACK MANY MONTHS.

No, I upgraded from Quicken Mac 2016.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Quicken Marcus, are there plans to Automate the Scheduled Transactions (like in QM 2007)?

I agree with pauldv172.  It does NOT work with Online Payments the way that QM2007 did.  In the older version, the transaction would automatically be included in the Online Payments and Downloaded at some specified date (i.e. 10 days prior).
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

Where did the box go to upgrade today and save $10? I couldn't upgrade at that moment and now I can't find that box anywhere.

I did a google search for Quicken Mac 2017 upgrade to 2016 $10 discount, and google found the link.  It worked. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Quicken Mac 2017 Reports have problems not present in 2016

In Quicken Mac 2016 and earlier I would create a report, get the detail level exactly how I wanted it for various line items and then "Save as..." it in the "Customize" box to create, essentially, a duplicate report which I could then add more detail under so that I can have various reports for my accountant with various levels of details.
    I just installed Quicken 2017 and when I do that now in the new report it creates it resets the detail level to fully expand everything (see related problem of it doing this when I upgraded from 2016 to 2017).
    This is a big pain in the neck for me.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Importing Quicken 2016 reports to Quicken 2017 resets detail level to max

Similar to my other report about the Report-ing "Save as..." feature expanding all detail, I just upgraded from Quicken Mac 2016 to 2017 and after Quicken 2017 finished importing my old quicken data file I went to the new "Reports" tab to look at my reports and see that all the reports I had meticulously set the detail level on... by starting with one of Quicken's options and then drilling in on specific interesting lines... had all lost that setting and been fully expanded in detail. This is a pretty serious bug which took me a long time to rectify.
    I'm guessing that Quicken 2017 is creating these reports through the same code-path as the "Save as..." issue I mentioned previously, and I'm guessing fixing it once will fix both these problems.
    Thanks.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I see...yes Bill Pay is a different animal...I do not use it, therefore have not tamed it...lol

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I can only address the first...QM2017 auto accepts all downloaded transactions; there is no way to control this at this time...

But as you have already discovered (and for the benefit of others reading this), you can VOTE for the feature to Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow, here: 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/restore-transactions-downloading-acceptance-and-...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My home currency is set to GBP (I am from UK).

1) I have two Debt accounts, also set to GBP. When I sync data for Mobile Access, both Debt accounts turn into USD. I've tried Reset Connected Services, problem continues. ONLY affects Debt accounts, all my other accounts remain as GBP.

2) My Investing section shows two Brokerage Investments again GBP. In the Investing screen, it shows GBP in Market Value and Day Gain/Loss, but the Stock holdings show a USD symbol.

3) Everything in Quicken mobile app shows as USD regardless of what currency is set per account.

4) Debt Loans show as USD 0 in the mobile app, and then cannot click in to view the account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I would just like to express my appreciation to the current staff and management at Quicken for the progress they have made in making Quicken for Mac a much better product than it had been under the ownership of Intuit. I have been a Quicken Premier for Windows user for decades and had repeatedly tried to migrate to the Mac version to relieve myself of the need to maintain a Windows virtual machine on my Macs which was frankly just a pain and expensive too. I never expected the Mac versions to have all of the incredible functionality of the very mature Windows versions but with each new release of Quicken for Mac I would try it for a while just to see if I could "live with it." Up to this point the answer was always no and I would continue using the Windows editions. I believe that with the release of Quicken for Mac 2017 that answer has finally changed.

There is no question that the depth of functionality, reporting, tracking, graphing, planning, and the like of Quicken for Mac is far less than the Windows versions but the major bookkeeping and bill paying functions are now largely in place with this latest Mac version and can only get better from here. From the perspective of the consumer, Intuit always treated the Mac version of Quicken as something of a **** step child and never seemed to make much investment in its refinement and enhancement. With the splitting off of the Quicken product from Intuit I am hopeful (and if this latest release is any indication rightly so) that Quicken for Mac will now be on the path to the sort of functionality I have come to expect from the Windows versions. For the first time, even with some definite sacrifices, I am going to stick with the Mac version and leave Windows behind.

I would also like to commend "Quicken Marcus" for dedicating the time and patience to monitoring this forum and answering questions and complaints. That is no easy task and I know from personal experience that it is hard not to take some of the customer comments personally. Marcus is doing a great job and I am grateful that there is actually some customer service behind the Quicken product now, something that was a major gripe under the Intuit ownership. 

So...to the team at Quicken I want to say thank you and keep up the good work. There is a long way to go and lots to be done, but you have made some significant strides with this Mac release, so much so that I am actually going to stick with it this time. Keep going!

Cheers,
    Doug
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jeff S said:

My home currency is set to GBP (I am from UK).

1) I have two Debt accounts, also set to GBP. When I sync data for Mobile Access, both Debt accounts turn into USD. I've tried Reset Connected Services, problem continues. ONLY affects Debt accounts, all my other accounts remain as GBP.

2) My Investing section shows two Brokerage Investments again GBP. In the Investing screen, it shows GBP in Market Value and Day Gain/Loss, but the Stock holdings show a USD symbol.

3) Everything in Quicken mobile app shows as USD regardless of what currency is set per account.

4) Debt Loans show as USD 0 in the mobile app, and then cannot click in to view the account.

Quicken Mobile only supports USD transactions. 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I DO NOT HAVE A DISK DRIVE. I HAVE TO GET THE DOWNLOAD TROUGH THE MAC STORE????
  • Rick Johnson
    Rick Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thank you, Quicken, for all of your efforts to keep Quicken for Mac vibrant and improving. I like many of the new features in the 2017 version 4.2.1 I recently upgraded to from 2015, and feel good about supporting you by upgrading.

Having been a Quicken user for over 20 years, I'm puzzled why some of the simple things that made Quicken very efficient in the past have either vanished or are eroding away with each new release.

First, the auto-fill of payees and categories used to be very complete and accurate when importing data files (QFX) from my credit union into my Quicken checking account. In releases since 2007 it's become less likely to find a payee's name in the FI Notes and see that hundreds of previous transactions with this name are ALL to the same payee, and all with the same category. When manually filling this in (a very clumsy task in 2017 until I found on this forum that the Memo/Notes now appear in a FI Notes column) Quicken used to recognize categories that were consistently used with payees and auto-fill them. It was equally good at differentiating debits, deposits, and ATM cash, but not anymore.

There used to always be a blank row at the bottom of the window where I could quickly enter a new transaction, rather than press a key command to start one.  If you could bring that back, probably placing it just above or below that blue line separating past and present transactions, and allow me to jump into it by pressing Tab or Return, adding new items would be much, much easier and efficient.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Rick
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thank you, Quicken, for all of your efforts to keep Quicken for Mac vibrant and improving. I like many of the new features in the 2017 version 4.2.1 I recently upgraded to from 2015, and feel good about supporting you by upgrading.

Having been a Quicken user for over 20 years, I'm puzzled why some of the simple things that made Quicken very efficient in the past have either vanished or are eroding away with each new release.

First, the auto-fill of payees and categories used to be very complete and accurate when importing data files (QFX) from my credit union into my Quicken checking account. In releases since 2007 it's become less likely to find a payee's name in the FI Notes and see that hundreds of previous transactions with this name are ALL to the same payee, and all with the same category. When manually filling this in (a very clumsy task in 2017 until I found on this forum that the Memo/Notes now appear in a FI Notes column) Quicken used to recognize categories that were consistently used with payees and auto-fill them. It was equally good at differentiating debits, deposits, and ATM cash, but not anymore.

There used to always be a blank row at the bottom of the window where I could quickly enter a new transaction, rather than press a key command to start one.  If you could bring that back, probably placing it just above or below that blue line separating past and present transactions, and allow me to jump into it by pressing Tab or Return, adding new items would be much, much easier and efficient.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Rick

BTW, if you press CMD-N instead of pressing return, the current transaction will be entered AND you will open a new entry. Not ideal but saves one step.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

No not at the present

So Marcus  can we get a comparison between 2017 and 2016 for Mac???
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

I just want to give some praise. I REALLY like the new Quicken Mac 2017! I just found the new comparison reports. They are great, and I look forward to more reporting options in the future! I've used Quicken since the mid 90s. I upgraded from Quicken Mac 2016 but prior to that I used windows versions for many years and Mac before that. I had finally given up completely on Quicken in the fall of 2015 while using Quicken 2015 Rental Property windows version because of so many glitches and constant troubleshooting. And then Intuit sold Quicken, and I decided to try again with Quicken Mac 2016 and now Quicken Mac 2017. Kudos! My old very LARGE data file is once again useful! Thanks.

For Marcus!!!!    Super User hits the nail perfectly...  It would be really helpful if you could do comparisons between 2017 and 2007,  and 2017 and 2016, to show what we are really getting or not getting with the upgrade...  I appreciate the efforts and focus to make the improvements, but as state so well above, so many of us are sticking with 2007 and its many features that have not yet been incorporated in your newer releases.   I'll pass on the 2017 unless you need a beta tester...?  Please keep moving forward and take in the feedback you are getting.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

No not at the present

As per the reply by jacobs above, QM2017 has 4 new things over what QM2016 currently has. That's it. Not much else to compare. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

https://www.quicken.com/mac/compare for a basic comparison.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

To follow along and see the requests for features that are still lacking in QM2017, and have your say by adding your vote, see the reply lower in this discussion thread, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-v4-2-1-released?topic-reply...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Bo said:

Any QM2007 people think I should make the jump to 2017?  Need to find out if QM2007 works with new macOS Sierra,  May have to migrate to the new 2017 s/w if 2007 doesn't work on Sierra.

Need to have the same info for 2017!!  most of the links compare to 2015 for Mac?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bo said:

Any QM2007 people think I should make the jump to 2017?  Need to find out if QM2007 works with new macOS Sierra,  May have to migrate to the new 2017 s/w if 2007 doesn't work on Sierra.

No...they ultimately compare to QM2007. All these items are missing from QM2015 onward, including QM2017. 

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DougM said:

I would just like to express my appreciation to the current staff and management at Quicken for the progress they have made in making Quicken for Mac a much better product than it had been under the ownership of Intuit. I have been a Quicken Premier for Windows user for decades and had repeatedly tried to migrate to the Mac version to relieve myself of the need to maintain a Windows virtual machine on my Macs which was frankly just a pain and expensive too. I never expected the Mac versions to have all of the incredible functionality of the very mature Windows versions but with each new release of Quicken for Mac I would try it for a while just to see if I could "live with it." Up to this point the answer was always no and I would continue using the Windows editions. I believe that with the release of Quicken for Mac 2017 that answer has finally changed.

There is no question that the depth of functionality, reporting, tracking, graphing, planning, and the like of Quicken for Mac is far less than the Windows versions but the major bookkeeping and bill paying functions are now largely in place with this latest Mac version and can only get better from here. From the perspective of the consumer, Intuit always treated the Mac version of Quicken as something of a **** step child and never seemed to make much investment in its refinement and enhancement. With the splitting off of the Quicken product from Intuit I am hopeful (and if this latest release is any indication rightly so) that Quicken for Mac will now be on the path to the sort of functionality I have come to expect from the Windows versions. For the first time, even with some definite sacrifices, I am going to stick with the Mac version and leave Windows behind.

I would also like to commend "Quicken Marcus" for dedicating the time and patience to monitoring this forum and answering questions and complaints. That is no easy task and I know from personal experience that it is hard not to take some of the customer comments personally. Marcus is doing a great job and I am grateful that there is actually some customer service behind the Quicken product now, something that was a major gripe under the Intuit ownership. 

So...to the team at Quicken I want to say thank you and keep up the good work. There is a long way to go and lots to be done, but you have made some significant strides with this Mac release, so much so that I am actually going to stick with it this time. Keep going!

Cheers,
    Doug

I agree.  While the historic criticism of Intuit was justified, the page has turned, and a new story is being written.  It's time to focus on the future, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.  Keep it coming!
This discussion has been closed.