Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Options

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    opt said:

Was hoping that 2017 would be the year for budgets with account selection options. How about it?

@Rory James, for budgets, be sure to add your vote for that feature at the link a few posts up, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-v4-2-1-released?topic-reply...

As for the 401K contributions, you would have to elaborate what your issue is. I suggest you post that issue in a new discussion post to get better response from the community.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Drew
    Drew Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drew said:

Having a couple issues with 2017 so far:

1.  As with 2016, I'm backing up my 2017 files (using "Save a Backup) to my iCloud drive.  I'm finding that in contrast to 2016, which would back up and sync in a minute or two (1.2GB file), the 2017 files is taking at least 15 minutes to backup and sync.  I tried one right after the other, and the behavior of the 2017 file is problematic.  I've tried on two different fast internet connections with no change.

2.  The 2017 file backup has a blank white icon.

That's it for now.

Thanks.  No replies to my separate posts about the QM2017 issues as yet.  I think I'll download the free trial of Banktivity while I wait.
  • Drew
    Drew Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drew said:

1.  As with 2016, I'm backing up my 2017 files (using "Save a Backup) to my iCloud drive.  I'm finding that in contrast to 2016, which would back up and sync in a minute or two (1.2GB file), the 2017 files is taking at least 15 minutes to backup and sync.  I tried one right after the other, and the behavior of the 2017 file is problematic.  I've tried on two different fast internet connections with no change.

That's it for now.

samayer97, re: notifications.  I have checked all those boxes and am following a few categories, but I've received no notifications.  Seems a bit of a Catch-22 if the "notify me when people reply" link is only on an e-mail when I haven't yet received one.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drew said:

That's it for now.

@Drew, Re: replies to your posts about the slowness of 2017 saving and backups vs 2016, you need to raise these with Quicken support here: https://www.quicken.com/support

This is mostly a user-to-user support forum and developers rarely participate. So you are not likely to get a reply to that issue here.

As for receiving e-mail notifications, either there are no replies (I see some for some of your posts), or your set-up is not correct, or possibly your e-mail is filtering them or moving them to a spam folder. I would double check the settings in your GetSat profile. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).

when will quicken 2017 be available in canada?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    - Online Updates take FOREVER to complete and even appear to hang the app for the time they are doing it.
    - Updates are not done automatically when you open the file like in windows version
    - Passwords for online services are not saved even though you tell it to save to keychain.  If you disable then re-enable transaction downloads then it seems to work
    - No indicators on left pane there is transactions to review from downloads like in windows
    - No mass review and accept on downloaded transactions like windows.
    - Very hard to transition from windows version to Mac version in general
    - No view upcoming bills by month like windows
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DougM said:

I would just like to express my appreciation to the current staff and management at Quicken for the progress they have made in making Quicken for Mac a much better product than it had been under the ownership of Intuit. I have been a Quicken Premier for Windows user for decades and had repeatedly tried to migrate to the Mac version to relieve myself of the need to maintain a Windows virtual machine on my Macs which was frankly just a pain and expensive too. I never expected the Mac versions to have all of the incredible functionality of the very mature Windows versions but with each new release of Quicken for Mac I would try it for a while just to see if I could "live with it." Up to this point the answer was always no and I would continue using the Windows editions. I believe that with the release of Quicken for Mac 2017 that answer has finally changed.

There is no question that the depth of functionality, reporting, tracking, graphing, planning, and the like of Quicken for Mac is far less than the Windows versions but the major bookkeeping and bill paying functions are now largely in place with this latest Mac version and can only get better from here. From the perspective of the consumer, Intuit always treated the Mac version of Quicken as something of a **** step child and never seemed to make much investment in its refinement and enhancement. With the splitting off of the Quicken product from Intuit I am hopeful (and if this latest release is any indication rightly so) that Quicken for Mac will now be on the path to the sort of functionality I have come to expect from the Windows versions. For the first time, even with some definite sacrifices, I am going to stick with the Mac version and leave Windows behind.

I would also like to commend "Quicken Marcus" for dedicating the time and patience to monitoring this forum and answering questions and complaints. That is no easy task and I know from personal experience that it is hard not to take some of the customer comments personally. Marcus is doing a great job and I am grateful that there is actually some customer service behind the Quicken product now, something that was a major gripe under the Intuit ownership. 

So...to the team at Quicken I want to say thank you and keep up the good work. There is a long way to go and lots to be done, but you have made some significant strides with this Mac release, so much so that I am actually going to stick with it this time. Keep going!

Cheers,
    Doug

You sound as bad as Apple apologetics.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

- Online Updates take FOREVER to complete and even appear to hang the app for the time they are doing it.
    - Updates are not done automatically when you open the file like in windows version
    - Passwords for online services are not saved even though you tell it to save to keychain.  If you disable then re-enable transaction downloads then it seems to work
    - No indicators on left pane there is transactions to review from downloads like in windows

You also cannot edit a single instance of a bill you can only edit the series....which is a pain.  You have to enter the transaction then edit it but you cannot just edit it in the bills view for one instance to see the affect on the accounts like you can in windows.  Generally the bills section compared to the windows version is horrible.  Almost no feature parity there.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hello!  I really want to switch to Mac Quicken from Windows, but there are a couple features currently missing that I use all the time in the Windows version.
    First is there is no option in the Mac version to edit a single bill in a recurring series, you either edit the whole series or don't edit it at all.  WIthout going into the details, this is a feature I use constantly in the Windows version and a deal breaker for me.
    The second which isn't nearly as serious, is that the cash flow forecast in the Windows version is vastly superior.  It shows the actual transactions at each data point where as the Mac version only gives a money count.  Also in the Windows version you can have several of these forecasts set up on the home page for different accounts, in the Mac version its only on the Bills screen and not very customizable.
    Any plans to add these features to the Mac version?  I hope so, that would be all it would take for me to switch and would sure make life easier since I'm mainly a Mac user.
    BTW:  Other than these issues, the 2017 Mac version is much more familiar than it used to be and the layout looks great, overall very good job it's well on its way.

I just found this too but I don't want to add the bill to the register before it's actually paid or due so I can just see the affect of that one payment change in the forecast.
  • Mary Anne LaHood
    Mary Anne LaHood Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

how can i locate my "reports" in the left hand column under my other finance vehicles?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

@Mike Clancy, are you looking fo the Mac or Windows version? This thread is about the Mac version. It is already available via the US website only. You can only purchase it using ANY valid US address (does not need to match your credit card). 

For the Windows version, it was said it would be about 1 month from mid-Oct.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

For some of the issues, you can add your VOTE for the feature to: 
    Automatically enter scheduled transactions/bill reminders, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-to-automatically-enter-scheduled-tran...

have Download Flags for Transactions That Need Attention
    , here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/download-flags

Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/restore-transactions-downloading-acceptance-and-...

Improve the Bill Reminders Graph (aka Forecast or Projected Balance), here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/improve-the-bill-reminders-graph-aka-forecast-or...

Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    opt said:

the new report feature needs to have the first default number column to be the current year and the second column the prior year, with a variance. Please allow that. The summary report when using payees, had a very wide first field with the totals on the far right of the report. Please allow column sizing within the new reports.

I need help.  Installed MAC Sierra now I can't even get into my Quicken info.  Where did it go?  What do I do?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    opt said:

the new report feature needs to have the first default number column to be the current year and the second column the prior year, with a variance. Please allow that. The summary report when using payees, had a very wide first field with the totals on the far right of the report. Please allow column sizing within the new reports.

What version of QMac are you using?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I would like to see SHOW OCCURANCES for 45 days,  Currently, 30 days is too short and 90 days is too long for my planning.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    opt said:

It says this version "Quicken Essentials (3.6986.400) can't be used with this version of macOS  (Sierra 10.12)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    opt said:

This thread is about QM2017, not QEM. You should really be starting your own thread. Also, this question has been asked and answered many times on this forum. Please do a search on Sierra AND Essentials.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    opt said:

Susan, the message you're seeing is correct: Quicken Essentials will not run under macOS Sierra. Essentials is old discontinued software, and a change by Apple took away a key piece of the operating system which Essentials required to run. Quicken had planned for this eventuality for years by creating Quicken 2015, then 2016, and now 2017 (all of which run under Sierra). So unless you want to try to restore your Mac from a backup to go back to your pre-Sierra operating system, your only option is to purchase a newer version of Quicken. Quicken 2017 will be able to import your Essentials data file and update it to the Quicken 2017 format.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • beanr
    beanr Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

my old quicken quit working when I upgraded mac. I just purchase 2017 but can't seem to get it to open and update my old version

Every time Quicken comes out with a new version for the Mac, I buy it, hoping that one day it will be worth the investment of time it takes to get it up and running with my data. Each time I have gone back to YNAB because I run into some sort of deal breaker. With 2017, I was more hopeful than ever, because I was really liking working with the software. Until I tried to set up a budget. 

My "new" budget is already populated with what appears to be historical data. I can see the logic. However, there seems to be no option to start with an empty budget. And when I zero out those fields, it doesn't stick, even though I save it. Each time I reopen the budget, I find that Quicken has overwritten my zeroes with the historical data again (at least, I assume that it's historical).

My hopes have been dashed. I just invested my whole weekend bringing in transactions. No easy feat, since Qkn will only import delimited data from Mint. 

What happened to the option to NOT use historical data? Is the budget function still under construction or something? 
  • Steve Jordi
    Steve Jordi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Just tried it.
    1- You should let us manually sort each budget category and sub-category by hand, not automatically sorted. We should be able to decide priorities, like Food, Cash, Subscriptions, Entertainment. Categories can't be sorted manually.
    2- Creating a budget and deleting it crashes the app.
    3- No local sync for desktop and mobile devices. You lose all customers in need of syncing even when they don't have access to the Interner (they do exist, when traveling abroad, in a plane or train, in 3rd world countries, etc...). They can't all wait a full month until the next internet connection to sync the device with the desktop.

Good try. 
    I'm going to wait for 2018 to see some improvements.
    Keep up the good work
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

I have been a quicken user on Windows for over 20 years and am trying to make the transition to Quicken 2017 for Mac as I prefer that platform.  I have plenty of questions but will only ask a few now.

My dividends won't show up in my budgets.  I have a brokerage account and have linked it online and downloaded all the past transactions via the conversion from Windows tool.  It assigns the category for past dividends and most likely future ones to "Investments: Dividend Income" which is a required category of the system and not changeable by the user.  I select the category "Dividend Income" to be included in my budgets but it does not show those dividend transactions in my brokerage account in my budgets.  You don't see those "Investment: subcategories" (required) in the budget category selection when trying to add categories to budget.  Since the category in the register cannot be changed to the "Dividend Income" category that you can see in the budget category selection you cannot make this work.  Can you help so I can set my budgets for dividend Income and see my actuals as well?

Why when you are in full window mode and you perform a reconciliation of an account a new window pops up to reconcile in and when you are done or select save and finish later it closes but returns you to the desktop with the quicken menus at the top but not the register at full window again.  I assume this is a Mac OS default to show you the desktop the full window was on but I have to select the previous desktop to go back to where I was.  Seems like it should close and return you to the full screen you were reviewing when you went into reconciliation or the action you were taking.  I notice this often and it is just an irritation.

Thanks,
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DougM said:

I would just like to express my appreciation to the current staff and management at Quicken for the progress they have made in making Quicken for Mac a much better product than it had been under the ownership of Intuit. I have been a Quicken Premier for Windows user for decades and had repeatedly tried to migrate to the Mac version to relieve myself of the need to maintain a Windows virtual machine on my Macs which was frankly just a pain and expensive too. I never expected the Mac versions to have all of the incredible functionality of the very mature Windows versions but with each new release of Quicken for Mac I would try it for a while just to see if I could "live with it." Up to this point the answer was always no and I would continue using the Windows editions. I believe that with the release of Quicken for Mac 2017 that answer has finally changed.

There is no question that the depth of functionality, reporting, tracking, graphing, planning, and the like of Quicken for Mac is far less than the Windows versions but the major bookkeeping and bill paying functions are now largely in place with this latest Mac version and can only get better from here. From the perspective of the consumer, Intuit always treated the Mac version of Quicken as something of a **** step child and never seemed to make much investment in its refinement and enhancement. With the splitting off of the Quicken product from Intuit I am hopeful (and if this latest release is any indication rightly so) that Quicken for Mac will now be on the path to the sort of functionality I have come to expect from the Windows versions. For the first time, even with some definite sacrifices, I am going to stick with the Mac version and leave Windows behind.

I would also like to commend "Quicken Marcus" for dedicating the time and patience to monitoring this forum and answering questions and complaints. That is no easy task and I know from personal experience that it is hard not to take some of the customer comments personally. Marcus is doing a great job and I am grateful that there is actually some customer service behind the Quicken product now, something that was a major gripe under the Intuit ownership. 

So...to the team at Quicken I want to say thank you and keep up the good work. There is a long way to go and lots to be done, but you have made some significant strides with this Mac release, so much so that I am actually going to stick with it this time. Keep going!

Cheers,
    Doug

In the same boat.  Used Money for years then in the 90's switched to Quicken and have used it extensively on Windows eventually on a virtual machine as well.  Have my retirement vested in their planning tool but am trying Quicken 2017 and my first impression is pretty good.  Have not deleted my virtual machine but getting closer.  wish investment transaction could be included in budgets so my dividend income could be properly reflected in my budgets.  Maybe thats just a retired thing but maybe they will get there.  Kudos for the Mac 2017 version though - much better
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Why should we buy 2017 when Quicken can't even get the download transactions correct from Wells Fargo. Intuit / Quicken need to get their sh!t together and fix their software. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi Norm,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having purchasing Quicken 2017. Are you trying to purchase the US version of Quicken or the Canadian version of Quicken. The Canadian version will not be available for another month or so.

Dave

Do not purchase the new software - it doesn't work nor does the current 2016 version work. Can't download Wells Fargo accounts into Quicken. Intuit are crooks!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

There hasn't been a Canadian Version of Quicken Mac in years. I don't believe there will be one for 2017 either.

Do not purchase the new software - it doesn't work nor does the current 2016 version work. Can't download Wells Fargo accounts into Quicken. Intuit are crooks!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'd like to know if one of my annoyances with the Reconcile process has been fixed since Quicken 2015 for Mac, which I'm still using.  When I'm reconciling transactions, I hate how a split transaction pops open when trying to click (reconcile) the transaction.  I would like to just be able to go down the list and click on transactions without split transactions popping open.  I don't need to see how a split transaction is coded . . . I just want to check it and move on to the next transaction.  Does that make sense?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

The balances in the sidebar are rounded to the nearest dollar.  Please allow people to show balances to the penny if they want to!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    opt said:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    opt said:

Was hoping that 2017 would be the year for budgets with account selection options. How about it?

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

The balances in the sidebar are rounded to the nearest dollar.  Please allow people to show balances to the penny if they want to!

FYI, Intuit no longer owns the Quicken product. If you have problems with Wells Fargo, have you contacted WF and quicken customer support?
This discussion has been closed.