Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Options

Comments

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Surklyn said:

Can we get the Tab view that OS X Sierra implemented to work in Quicken?  Nothing more annoying than having 5 separate full screen windows open on a 13" screen.  Quicken wants to open a new screen for every report, for every contextual search (i.e mousing over a budget and viewing the transactions).   The window management is crazy.

Surkly, this isn't a Quicken Mac thing.  It's an OS thing and if you're using Sierra and Quicken Mac this does work.  How are you opening your reports as separate windows?   By default we're always single window.  If you use the menu View > Open in new Window then all of these windows will appear with tabs if you're using Sierra.  At least this is what happened for me.  Here's what I'm seeing.

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    BoDEAN said:

Where do I enter the USERNAME at?  Can't log into my loan account because there is no USERNAME field. Cmon' quicken! image

Did you try to enter the information in to see if it works?  Not all banks require a user name.  The reason I ask is that these fields are non-standard which means we are being told to show these fields.  The only reason we'd be told to show these fields is because at some point this is what your loan provided required.  Now things change at the banks so it may no longer work but it did work at some time.  
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    James W. said:

Marcus.....Any timeline on adding functionality for loan amortization and debt reduction planner?

James: Hopefully Marcus will see your question and respond, but I'll just note that he responds to only a small number of such questions on this site. And it's very rare for him to give a time estimate for new features, because so much can and does change in the development schedule.

If I were to take a guess, based on what he has posted on this site over the past two months, I'd guess that this is something they are going to try to get out during the Quicken 2017 annual cycle, but that it wont' be until in the second half of that year (e.g. spring or summer of 2017). There have been relatively few posts about a debt reduction planner, so I'd guess that would be further in the future. (I know you want to hear from Marcus, not me, so feel free to ignore my speculation!)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    James W. said:

Marcus.....Any timeline on adding functionality for loan amortization and debt reduction planner?

I can say it's the top requested feature but I'm not able to specifically say when or if we're going to add it.   I do want to know specifically what people want.  Is it just the ability to add transactions with the principle / interest split or something else?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

i wouldn't have purchased QM17 if I knew there would be a whole bunch of problems and bugs.
    obviously the software was not checked out properly.  Too bad.

John, this is what this forum post is for so people can report issues they are seeing.  Quite honestly we've seen a few issues with investment sync because of non-letters in account names and some other bugs but I'm not aware of any major issues in the 2017 Mac product.  We do have one customer crashing when converting a 2016 file but like Jacobs states this isn't what most people are seeing.  There is something in his particular file that is causing the issue.  Anyway, you are welcome to return the product if you're unhappy but please do let us know the issues you are seeing so we can fix it for other people. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Any QM2007 people think I should make the jump to 2017?  Need to find out if QM2007 works with new macOS Sierra,  May have to migrate to the new 2017 s/w if 2007 doesn't work on Sierra.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

ALSO NOTICED THAT ITEMS ALREADY REVIEWED ARE ONCE BEING ASKED TO REVIEW THE ITEMS AGAIN   THIS APPEARS ON ALL THE ACCOUNTS AND GOES BACK MANY MONTHS.

Thanks for reporting this.  Are you upgrading from Quicken Essentials?  I've heard one other comment about this.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Quicken Marcus, are there plans to Automate the Scheduled Transactions (like in QM 2007)?

I miss the opportunity to change the payment amount since most of my scheduled transaction payment varies month to month. Q for windows 2013 let you do this. Very combersome as it is now. Old quicken versions had many great features. Should copy them in 2017
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bo said:

Any QM2007 people think I should make the jump to 2017?  Need to find out if QM2007 works with new macOS Sierra,  May have to migrate to the new 2017 s/w if 2007 doesn't work on Sierra.

Bo, all reports are that Quicken 2007 continues to work under Sierra. It is no longer officially supported by Quicken, as 2007 support finally ended with the release of 2017. But I plan to continue using Quicken 2007, mostly because the reports in Quicken 2017 are still not satisfactory for me. (I haven't yet upgraded to Sierra, but plan to.)

As to whether you should make the jump to Quicken 2017, that's something that no one else can really answer for you. All of us Quicken users use the program and its features so differently. Some people are quite happy with Quicken 2017 as a replacement for their old Quicken, some people tolerate its shortcomings and find it "good enough," and some people stick with 2007 because the new program doesn't address some of their needs. This is where the Quicken 60-day refund policy can come in handy; if you have some time to explore it, buy the new program, import your data, try using it a bit (while maintaining your live data in Quicken 2007) and decide if it fits your needs or not.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

UPGRADED TO QM17, UNABLE TO ADD MY MACY'S ACCOUNT.  KEEP ON GETTING ERROR CODE 104.  WHAT IS THIS ?  THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

This is an error that could occur after the provider's website changes.  We have scripts that crawl through a providers web page to gather the data needed for your transactions either by parsing a PDF statement from the site or by reading the web page so if they change something it could break the entire system.  This is probably what's happened.  Our team will then try to update the scripts which can take a few days to a couple of weeks to fix.  I would do a search on this website to see if other people are also seeing this error with Macys. 
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

Where did the box go to upgrade today and save $10? I couldn't upgrade at that moment and now I can't find that box anywhere.

Marcus, that's pretty funny! It is worth noting that this issue comes up with each annual release, and it would be helpful for you to come up with a way for users to get and hold this offer, for however long it is valid -- and it should state how long it's valid -- rather than playing whack-a-mole trying to find it.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

I just upgrade top QM 2017 from QW 2016.  The import seemed to go well after a little clean up.  But I am having some problems with download to my accounts.   Although it does seem to be downloading everything so far in continues to try to get me to add additional accounts.  The problem is these accounts have already been added.  For example I have 4 accounts with Schwab.  They have all been updated.  The account list in the Windows menu item indicates all is well.  However every time I sync I get multiple windows showing those 4 accounts by number with options to add,  link or ignore.  Of course the link option only shows accounts that have not already been linked, not these.  Strangely this window appears 4 times during the sync process.  If I ignore, next time it does the same thing.  I did try adding one, but then I have two copies of that account.  When I delete the added new duplicate, it try to get me to add it again.   

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Weird.  Have you gone to Account Settings for each of these accounts (button in bottom right corner on toolbar) and click on the Troubleshooting tab.  Click on Deactivate and then try to reactivate.  This sometimes cleans things up.  

Also definitely call our support team.  Our Care team deals with these type of account issues all the time and are really good with helping people figure out a way to get this stuff to work.  It's included in the price of Quicken.  650-250-1900 (Mon-Fri, 5am-5pm Pacific).
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bo said:

Bo, take heed  to what Jacob is conveying here; How do you use Quicken, what features in QM2007 are you unable to do without. QM17 has serious limitations when it comes to reporting, handling investment data , loans, debt reduction, etc. 

Coming from the QW world I have no history with Q2007, sounds like you should keep Q2007 & perhaps play around with QM17 if you can allocate the time.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

I just want to give some praise. I REALLY like the new Quicken Mac 2017! I just found the new comparison reports. They are great, and I look forward to more reporting options in the future! I've used Quicken since the mid 90s. I upgraded from Quicken Mac 2016 but prior to that I used windows versions for many years and Mac before that. I had finally given up completely on Quicken in the fall of 2015 while using Quicken 2015 Rental Property windows version because of so many glitches and constant troubleshooting. And then Intuit sold Quicken, and I decided to try again with Quicken Mac 2016 and now Quicken Mac 2017. Kudos! My old very LARGE data file is once again useful! Thanks.

Thanks for letting us know that it's working for you.  It's nice to hear nice things too.  There is so much negativity around the Mac product for past decision made by people who don't even work here anymore.  All of us working on the product now are doing our best to make the product better and to meet customer's needs.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Bo said:

Thanks to both. I do have time to fiddle. Will probably go to Sierra with new MacBook first then play and compare 2007 and 2017
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

Installed 2017 this evening.  Some things are quicker like initial launching and securities price download.  I noticed that the saved backup file is much smaller than the database.quicken2017 file. Mine is 155Mb and the backup is 86Mb.  Why the difference?  So far so good. Will see how it handles the next batch of transactions when they download.

Marcus, Quicken for Mac *did* previously store a copy of the user's complete data file inside the data file when performing any database upgrade, resulting in data file sizes doubling or quadrupling. This was fixed in the 3.5 release this past summer. From the 3.5 release notes:
    • IMPROVED: Dramatically reduced file size by eliminating unused data backups stored in the file.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

I just want to give some praise. I REALLY like the new Quicken Mac 2017! I just found the new comparison reports. They are great, and I look forward to more reporting options in the future! I've used Quicken since the mid 90s. I upgraded from Quicken Mac 2016 but prior to that I used windows versions for many years and Mac before that. I had finally given up completely on Quicken in the fall of 2015 while using Quicken 2015 Rental Property windows version because of so many glitches and constant troubleshooting. And then Intuit sold Quicken, and I decided to try again with Quicken Mac 2016 and now Quicken Mac 2017. Kudos! My old very LARGE data file is once again useful! Thanks.

Marcus, your comments are well taken. The folks over there working the QM product  definitely must be feeling the lashes for sins perpertrated by others. That however is how the cookie rolls in the world of business:). Lets all of us just keep moving the product forward. Sounds like the Q2007 product was the cats meow ! I came over from the QW Premier product . Simply did not want to continue QW on VM  situation. 
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Installed 2017 this evening.  Some things are quicker like initial launching and securities price download.  I noticed that the saved backup file is much smaller than the database.quicken2017 file. Mine is 155Mb and the backup is 86Mb.  Why the difference?  So far so good. Will see how it handles the next batch of transactions when they download.

Never having done it, what if I open one of the backups (like the one just created)? Will it become my new master database or do I have to rename it? May give it a try to see how fast Quicken opens to home screen.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options

I haven't figured how to access the new Comparison Report. I don't see it as a choice the Reports pull-down.  Didn't find anything on it in the Help either.  A hint please?

Marcus, any chance you'd comment on the way subtotals appear above detail data instead of below, like most finance software and reports? This has been my biggest gripe with the existing reports in Quicken, and it's not changed in the new reports introduced in Quicken 2017. Is this something you're considering changing for the future, or have you decided it's going to stay the way it is? Thanks.
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I haven't figured how to access the new Comparison Report. I don't see it as a choice the Reports pull-down.  Didn't find anything on it in the Help either.  A hint please?

Why is that blue bar there? All functions should be in the Application's menu bar; but don't see Calendars there.  Blue bar seems redundant if the menu bar functions are identical to blue bar functions or am I incorrect?
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I restored from the most recent backup I had created this evening; it's 86Mb as a backup but after restoring and saving it with a new name it is inflated to 155Mb!  Backups must be undergoing some compression for storage?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    James W. said:

Based on this thread Loan Amortization, the feature requested has everything to do with setting up, entering and tracking a loan, with auto-calculation of principle and interest. That's the request with which the forum is full.
    Not to be confused, with a Loan Calculator or Planner, or Debt Reduction planning, which I think are completely different. Only a very few are asking about this latter option. 

Features should include things like:
    • handling on fixed or variable rates, 
    • allowing for such variations as escrow, lump sum payments, or balloon payments
    • include set-up of account (whether new or existing loan)
    • handle different payment frequencies, and even changing the frequency
    • flexible to make adjustments to transaction entries (do not lock transactions)
    • track # payments made and remaining
    • show payment schedule
    Hope that helps.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bo said:

Yes, preliminary reports indicate that QM2007 still works fine under Sierra (see also this announcement: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/is-quicken-mac-compatible-with-the-new-mac-os-10..._

Currently, the main advantages of QM2017 over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Also QM2017 has a more robust database structure less prone to corruption. 

Unless you have a need for Quicken Mobile, I would suggest that there is no compelling reason to move to QM2017, because there is still much lacking, as has been pointed out. 

To help you make sure that Quicken 2017 for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. loan amortization, 2-line display, QuickMath, auto-backups, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, investment lot management and performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over), you can start here:
    http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/what-data-gets-carried-over/HOW24903.html
    Also read some of the Fixes and Improvements that are being released soon here:
    http://www.quicken.com/upcoming-product-fixes-and-improvements
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bo said:

To follow along and see the requests for features that are still lacking in QM2017, and have your say by adding your vote, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find:  and many others.

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Quicken Marcus, are there plans to Automate the Scheduled Transactions (like in QM 2007)?

You still can...not exactly like QWin but it may help. See this video: Scheduled Transactions

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

@Marcus, QM2007 is the "cat's meow" on the Mac. It is the standard to reach for the Mac, though it still fell far behind on features compared to QWin. That said, I too want to add that I am glad that there is now a committed team working to improve the Mac product. I am hopeful that development will continue in a favourable direction. Keep up the hard work.

But please keep in mind the audience you are dealing with and catering to...many are avid and long time seasoned and loyal Quicken users (and I do not mean just the SUs). So we are not looking for half-baked feature sets. I know it is a delicate balance for business to find the sweet spot, and keep the business viable, while balancing the demands, angst, and even anger re: Quicken. Try to keep a thick skin about it.

I believe it is mainly a strong reflection of the fact that we Mac users are very passionate, even about Quicken. This is partly because we know it was and can still be a great product, and are also in tension because there is no other product that truly compares, though several try, and many of us have so much riding on this product.

So, many of us need solid, flexible, versatile, functional features. I am somewhat concerned at the direction of the interface, though that is window dressing. At the end of the day, the most important thing is that the functionality is there. It is about making it easy to enter data, then easy to get data out in meaningful and flexible ways.

QM2007, though far from perfect, is the basis of comparison. You cannot avoid that. And you cannot forget that this is what you are up against. So when a specific feature is requested, QM2007 (or even QWin in some cases) should be the basis for that feature. Anything short of that will always leave a group of users unhappy and you will constantly be fighting off their ire. 

The other piece people are needing is continuity. Because of what I suspect is a large customer base still using QM2007, they need to be able to carry forward as much of their data and set-ups as possible. People value their possessions, and especially their financial records, so bridging from QM2007 to the current version needs to be seriously considered (for example, report formats...I have about 80 memorized reports...having to recreate those in any version is a daunting task). Please keep that in mind.

Anyway, know that you have the support of at least some of us in this endeavour. I know it is not an easy task. I think we all ultimately want QMac to be a better product and for it to meet customer needs. Please pass on to the team that there are people rooting for them and to stay courageous and steadfast.

• pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

I don't think the firestorm started because of the lack of effort on the part of Marcus and his team but that we users of 2016 did not get a larger discount for 2017
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

There is that sentiment to deal with too!

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Marys said:

Speaking for myself the discount has nothing to do with it! I have given money for any reasonable updates without regret. I want QM to succeed and know it can't if it doesn't have support from users. However, I resent that the last update to 2016 exposed a number of issues that should have been addressed in an update. Instead the product team went silent for several weeks while working on a few features to justify a 2017 release which still has all the same bugs and usability issues from 2016. The new features may convince a few people to upgrade, but I believe creating a more stable and user friendly product would encourage ALL users to upgrade. Also, what I hear is people miss features from 2007. Why does 2017 have changes that might (or might not) be good but do nothing to bring back missing functionality that is in 2007 that users have made clear are needed? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Quicken Marcus, Why is it to much to ask to have the MAC version have the same features as Windows version? I think it is ridiculous to vote on which features to add. Start by giving all the same features, then ask for improvement ideas for the program as a whole. Don't treat Mac users as second class.
This discussion has been closed.