Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).

Quicken for iOS seems to have lost its integration with 1Password. This is a major bummer, since it also seems to log me out quite a lot. With the previous versions the frequent log outs were also happening, but the 1Password integration made them far less painful. Was this deliberately removed?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

So I noticed with the new mobile app it only shows online balance for credit cards in the "overview". So if you have purchases you manually added and are pending online you can't see your actual true balance. It only shows what online shows versus allowing manually added transactions to actually manipulate the balance.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

Also has anyone else noticed that Capital One credit cards posting date is actually equal to the transaction date? So theres no way to properly make use of posted/transaction dates. I still swear manually running quicken without connecting them to your institutions is the way to go. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bo said:

Thanks everyone for their comparisons to QM2007.  I too am a QM2007 holdout but want to try 2017.  Keep the comments coming.  I mostly want to keep the Portfolio and Investment capabilities, as well as, custom reports from QM2007.  I suppose I could just download it and do the side-by-side too and "refund" it < 60 days.  Thanks for everyone's insight!

You can now VOTE for the feature to carry forward report formats to Quicken for Mac from other versions, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-the-ability-to-carry-forward-report-formats-...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of THAT feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Drew
    Drew Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drew said:

Having a couple issues with 2017 so far:

1.  As with 2016, I'm backing up my 2017 files (using "Save a Backup) to my iCloud drive.  I'm finding that in contrast to 2016, which would back up and sync in a minute or two (1.2GB file), the 2017 files is taking at least 15 minutes to backup and sync.  I tried one right after the other, and the behavior of the 2017 file is problematic.  I've tried on two different fast internet connections with no change.

2.  The 2017 file backup has a blank white icon.

That's it for now.

Thanks. I have created new posts about the issues I talked about here.  Is there a way in this platform to "subscribe" so that I know when someone has responded to my posts?  I have such notifications activated in my Get Satisfaction profile, but I'm not receiving them.
  • Drew
    Drew Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drew said:

1.  As with 2016, I'm backing up my 2017 files (using "Save a Backup) to my iCloud drive.  I'm finding that in contrast to 2016, which would back up and sync in a minute or two (1.2GB file), the 2017 files is taking at least 15 minutes to backup and sync.  I tried one right after the other, and the behavior of the 2017 file is problematic.  I've tried on two different fast internet connections with no change.

That's it for now.

Thanks. I have created new posts about the issues I talked about here.  Is there a way in this platform to "subscribe" so that I know when someone has responded to my posts?  I have such notifications activated in my Get Satisfaction profile, but I'm not receiving them.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drew said:

That's it for now.

Take a look at this Quicken GetSat FAQ: How to adjust or turn off e-mail notifications of posts/discussion threads and replies 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I received the Quicken 2017 for Mac CD and did the installation.  Except the program won't open.  I get an error message "The application "Quicken 2017" can't be opened."  I don't know what to do.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hello!  I really want to switch to Mac Quicken from Windows, but there are a couple features currently missing that I use all the time in the Windows version.
    First is there is no option in the Mac version to edit a single bill in a recurring series, you either edit the whole series or don't edit it at all.  WIthout going into the details, this is a feature I use constantly in the Windows version and a deal breaker for me.
    The second which isn't nearly as serious, is that the cash flow forecast in the Windows version is vastly superior.  It shows the actual transactions at each data point where as the Mac version only gives a money count.  Also in the Windows version you can have several of these forecasts set up on the home page for different accounts, in the Mac version its only on the Bills screen and not very customizable.
    Any plans to add these features to the Mac version?  I hope so, that would be all it would take for me to switch and would sure make life easier since I'm mainly a Mac user.
    BTW:  Other than these issues, the 2017 Mac version is much more familiar than it used to be and the layout looks great, overall very good job it's well on its way.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thank you, Quicken, for all of your efforts to keep Quicken for Mac vibrant and improving. I like many of the new features in the 2017 version 4.2.1 I recently upgraded to from 2015, and feel good about supporting you by upgrading.

Having been a Quicken user for over 20 years, I'm puzzled why some of the simple things that made Quicken very efficient in the past have either vanished or are eroding away with each new release.

First, the auto-fill of payees and categories used to be very complete and accurate when importing data files (QFX) from my credit union into my Quicken checking account. In releases since 2007 it's become less likely to find a payee's name in the FI Notes and see that hundreds of previous transactions with this name are ALL to the same payee, and all with the same category. When manually filling this in (a very clumsy task in 2017 until I found on this forum that the Memo/Notes now appear in a FI Notes column) Quicken used to recognize categories that were consistently used with payees and auto-fill them. It was equally good at differentiating debits, deposits, and ATM cash, but not anymore.

There used to always be a blank row at the bottom of the window where I could quickly enter a new transaction, rather than press a key command to start one.  If you could bring that back, probably placing it just above or below that blue line separating past and present transactions, and allow me to jump into it by pressing Tab or Return, adding new items would be much, much easier and efficient.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Rick

CMD-N is a good first step.  Tried it tonight and it works as advertised. 
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hello!  I really want to switch to Mac Quicken from Windows, but there are a couple features currently missing that I use all the time in the Windows version.
    First is there is no option in the Mac version to edit a single bill in a recurring series, you either edit the whole series or don't edit it at all.  WIthout going into the details, this is a feature I use constantly in the Windows version and a deal breaker for me.
    The second which isn't nearly as serious, is that the cash flow forecast in the Windows version is vastly superior.  It shows the actual transactions at each data point where as the Mac version only gives a money count.  Also in the Windows version you can have several of these forecasts set up on the home page for different accounts, in the Mac version its only on the Bills screen and not very customizable.
    Any plans to add these features to the Mac version?  I hope so, that would be all it would take for me to switch and would sure make life easier since I'm mainly a Mac user.
    BTW:  Other than these issues, the 2017 Mac version is much more familiar than it used to be and the layout looks great, overall very good job it's well on its way.

I suggest you add these under the ideas section so that the developers are aware of your wishes.  I've been using the newer Quicken Mac versions for a couple months and the best way to keep it moving forward is for users and potential users to keep raising these issues to the development team. 
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Exactly, to follow along and see the requests for features that are still lacking in QM2017, and have your say by adding your vote, see this post early on in the discussion: 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-v4-2-1-released?topic-reply...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thanks guys will do!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

There is a solution in QM2017 regarding editing a single occurrence of a repeating bill. It may not be exactly like QWin but it works...first, display the recurring bill in your register x days in advance, then go to edit the transaction in the register and select 'Mark as Paid'...then edit that transaction as you desire.

As for the limited capability of the forecast graph, you may want to add your VOTE for the feature to Improve the Bill Reminders Graph (aka Forecast or Projected Balance), here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/improve-the-bill-reminders-graph-aka-forecast-or...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of THAT feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Where is the QM 2017 file stored?  It shows that the file is in the Documents folder when I go to File, Open..., but I cannot find it in the Finder and I can't search for it by name.  I also changed the Mac setting to show hidden files and I still can't find the file.  So where is it?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Alex W said:

Where is the QM 2017 file stored?  It shows that the file is in the Documents folder when I go to File, Open..., but I cannot find it in the Finder and I can't search for it by name.  I also changed the Mac setting to show hidden files and I still can't find the file.  So where is it?

Disregard.... I found it in ~/Library/Application Support/Quicken 2107/Documents
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Alex W said:

FYI. On the Mac if you want to know where an open document is located you can Command-Click on the little program icon at the top of the application window and a menu drops down showing the path. This has helped me many times.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Alex W said:

Yes, this applies to the retail version purchased everywhere except the Apple Store. This Quicken Mac FAQ: Default location of Data File created/stored for Quicken for Mac shows a few other ways, that covers other scenarios such as this.

• cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Seeing trend of issues with shares and investments.  The transactions appear to be correct but in portfolio view the number of shares doesn't increase or decrease. 

All I can speak to is with a TD Ameritrade brokerage account. After making an additional share purchase during the day when the market closes TD Ameritrade is reporting the total number of shares to include the new shares without reporting the purchase cost information. Quicken is creating a placeholder and the total value of the account is off. The next morning TD Ameritrade reports the purchase information and the account value information is correct.

This behavior was seen repeatedly with Quicken Mac 2016 during recent months. I have not tried to define the exact problem as I believe the problem is with the TD Ameritrade Direct Connect data and not with the application. If Quicken Windows is not having the same problem it would be an application problem.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Seeing trend of issues with shares and investments.  The transactions appear to be correct but in portfolio view the number of shares doesn't increase or decrease. 

IMHO we will all go thru these machinations as Fi constantly modify their websites which impacts their downloads. have been true these several times with WF bank & WF Advisors.. My WFA guy got me touch with the right folks over there that handle Quicken & I just work them when issues come up.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

The quicken app isn't detecting my 2017 file, only the older versions. I was really wanting to use the app.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

How about multicurrency support?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Harold-Jr said:

No that has not been added to QM2017. 

You can now VOTE for the feature to add true multi-currency conversion support, here:https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-true-multi-currency-conversion-support-in-qu...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

@Chritian Gringas (and others) you can now vote for improvements to the Forecast graph. See this post later in this discussion thread: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-v4-2-1-released?topic-reply...

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bo said:

Any QM2007 people think I should make the jump to 2017?  Need to find out if QM2007 works with new macOS Sierra,  May have to migrate to the new 2017 s/w if 2007 doesn't work on Sierra.

To add to the list above, here are a couple more to highlight that may be of interest: Be sure to click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

When I try to reconcile, no transactions appear in the reconcile window.  I balance forward is correct and I can enter the ending balance, but no transactions appear...just a blank reconcile screen.  Any thoughts?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have Q 2015 for Mac. I wouldn't mind upgrading, however I paid $45+tax for the 2015 version. There's NO WAY I'm paying more for an upgrade than what I paid for the full version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Zoolook said:

Can you track loans?

Top request and still not available in Mac 2017, I do not understand why Marcus.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    opt said:

Was hoping that 2017 would be the year for budgets with account selection options. How about it?

I agree. This was driving me crazy. I thought I was doing something wrong.  I am left with two options. Have an accurate budget or have accurate loan and investment balances. Mac 2016 also does not accurately track employer contribution to 401K? Anyone else having this problem?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Zoolook said:

Can you track loans?

It is NOW the top requested feature. Obviously not THE top prior to QM2017. Hopefully that will come next. Time will tell. Though keep in mind that time to develop a feature may push back a top requested item for another item that may take less time...

This discussion has been closed.