Mac Request option to hide categories and tags (32 Legacy Votes +66 Merged Votes)

Options
13»

Comments

• scwerden
    scwerden Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Been using Quicken in various forms for many years and have quite a few old and very old Categories in the list of categories. Perhaps, I've missed this but would love to be able to HIDE/UnHIDE old categories and have them stay hidden till they are UnHidden.
    Thanks for a great program.
    Stowell
  • Tallt65
    Tallt65 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I have been using Quicken for over two decades and have a lot of historical data that I want to retain. One of my frustrations that has increased over time, is the lack of an ability to hide entires in my Category and Securities lists that are no longer active.

After years of use I have numerous categories that are no longer used and numerous securities that were sold years ago. Every time I access a Category or Securities pull-down option, I have to scroll through items that long ago lost their relevance.

On the other hand, if I delete those items they will be deleted from their respective transactions and from reports I use to compare historical periods.

Can't you offer a 'Hide' option for these lists, similar to what is available with the Accounts list?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2022
    Options
    [Edited after a moderator merged your Idea post into this one]

@Tallt65  To add your vote for this feature, click here to jump to the top of the first page of this thread.

Regarding your other request — the ability to hide securities — there is a separate Idea post here. The good news is that that one is listed as "Planned" for future implementation. (You cannot add a vote to it because voting is turned off once an Idea has its status changed to "Planned.")
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @Tallt65,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. Please, be sure to add your own vote as well by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• JerryTonk
    JerryTonk Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken for Windows has a feature that allows categories to be hidden so they don't show up in the dropdown list in the registers. Please add this feature to Quicken for Mac. I don't want to delete old categories for historical and reporting purposes, but hiding them would make scrolling through the dropdown much easier.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @JerryTonk,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this already active Idea thread regarding this topic. Please refer to page 1 for details.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Sad Mac Convert
    Options
    Voted. I recently converted from Windows to Mac and it's super disappointing how much basic functionality is missing now. I have categories that I used to use, no longer use, but want to be able to sensibly access via my reports. This is an important and likely easy fix. I hope the admins pay attention here.
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Voted. ... I have categories that I used to use, no longer use, but want to be able to sensibly access via my reports. This is an important and likely easy fix. I hope the admins pay attention here.
    Like everyone above... I have a huge category list from 30 years of data and it would take way too long to prefix things with a "z" one by one, to shrink my list (and my my reports ugly).

In contrast:  The QMac Payee list has a hide checkbox (and the ability to shift-click a range or cmd-click to select lots of payees and right-click > Hide).  @Quicken Anja all we're asking for is the same ability as the Payee list to be provided for the Category list :-)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Mikey1108
    Mikey1108 Member ✭✭
    Options
    This feature has been “under consideration” for a long time and is sorely needed. How can we get it elevated?
  • Tallt65
    Tallt65 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have nealry 20 years of accumulated finacial information in my Quicken account. Over the years I have added Categories and Securities and Quicken has added some. Most of these are items that I no longer or never used. I currently have 339 categories and 2721 securities. This means that every time I want to find a category or security I have to scroll through pages of entries.

Why can't you offer a Hide and Show option for these lists, similar to what you do for Accounts?

How about helping make a long-time user's life easier?

• Underdog
    Underdog Member ✭✭
    Options
    Please!
    Quicken for Mac user since 1992. Currently using QMac 7.0.4.
  • parkmichaelj
    Options

Need ability to hid categories similar to Quicken in Windows

• JT97
    JT97 Member ✭✭
    Options

My data goes back over 20 years and I have actually been a user for over 30. I don't understand why something this simple has not been added for Mac. So much time is spent on things that are only used by a small segment of people, but this has been ignored for years. Hopefully it will eventually be addressed and updated. Come on, Quicken! We Mac users are keeping you afloat and we are still left so far behind … I believe that my PC version had this option back in 1993 …

• Shaynee
    Shaynee Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Please Please Please. Add this to the Mac Product! [Edited - Readability]

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Planned as it has been accepted by our Product and Development team for future implementation. Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• PurpleJ
    PurpleJ Member
    Options

PLEASE!!!!

I do not enjoy seeing my ex-husband's name in categories! :-(

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Personally, given the situation I would renaming the category so that the ex's name isn't there (even if they get the ability to hide the categories done).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

And put a "z" at the beginning so it sorts to the bottom of the list.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • gojohn
    gojohn Member ✭✭
    Options

I really need this on the Mac, too. I create similar categories for investments and need to hide the ones from the old investments that I'll never need to enter again.

• lindycorp
    lindycorp Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah totally agree with Perry - people talk about workarounds, but why should we need to do "workarounds" for what is supposed to be polished, professional software? Amusing to me there was even an "idea" that needed to be logged for this — hello … !? This is CORE FUNCTIONALITY!!! (sorry, migrated over from Windows version where this was always possible and I started with 1.0! and until this, extremely glad I did, so honestly, kudos to the team, but please knock this one out for God's sake)