Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.4 and Other 5.5.x Releases

Options

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Is anything being done to speed up the slow loading issue?

You could try putting a COPY of the program and a COPY of your data file on a flash drive or high speed SD card and running it from there. That might tell you something.

You also might want to look at cleaning caches. When something is slow only after startup, that makes me start thinking about caches having to be rebuilt.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

One more data point... I have a 200MB file on an iMac with fusion drive and do not see the very slow startup. I'd say it takes about 20 seconds and doesn't matter if the computer was shut down prior to launching Quicken or not.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Also, could automatic quote download at startup be causing some of the slowdown?
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options

Reports, the Transfer column sometimes shows "1 transfer" instead of the Account name :

This happens for split Transactions. I don't think it should, because the report shows only one of the split lines (the one with the transfer), not the transaction that the split line is part of.

Here is the corresponding split transaction:

Marcus,

Here's the split setup for one paycheck:

There are two transfers out of the 20 split lines.

Here's a portion of the Category Transaction report for this one transaction:

Every line says "2 transfers". What we are saying is that the transfer column should be blank for every line except for Retirement Contribution and Medical:Flex Payment, and each of those lines should have the actual transfer account shown instead of "2 transfers". 
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Thanks for the ideas.  I have tried all of your suggestions with no difference to the load speed.  FYI when I launch Quicken after restarting my computer the Quicken menu bar appears almost instantly then Quicken stalls - nothing appears to be happening.  If I right click the Quicken icon in the dock during the wait the menu says Quicken Not Responding and Force Quit is available. After the typical 2-3 minute wait my data file finally launches.  If I quit Quicken and then relaunch everything opens within 5 seconds.  I can repeat the problem by simply shutting down my computer, restarting and then launching Quicken.
    I don't know if my problem could be with the application install, or my data file, or both.  I don't know if any of the Quicken log files show anything unusual or even what to look for.  Can I reinstall Quicken 5.5.5?
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Question for the Quicken Team or any others:  would be helpful to submit the information reported in Console while Quicken is hung and taking a long time to launch?  I noticed there were a lot of Unix exception errors reported during launch.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

You can reinstall Quicken. Simply delete the program from the top level Applications folder and empty the trash. Re-download from wherever you originally purchased it and install fresh. 

If this doesn't work, then you should contact Quicken Support and let them link to your computer. That will be the path to having someone reviewed your log files.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Actually, have you tried deleting the Application Support folder for Quicken? This is a hidden folder in the System folder. I seem to recall that helped a user, though I cannot recall if it was a related problem. There is no harm in deleting it as it will get re-created (but quit Quicken first). YMMV.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Actually, the Quicken Application Support folder is in the User Library folder, not the System Folder. I did not suggest deleting the Quicken Application Support folder because that's the default location for the data file. So if you are going to do this, navigate to:

~/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Documents

and find your data file there. Move that to the desktop. You might also want to move the Backups folder there to the desktop. Then you can delete:

~/Library/Application Support/Quicken

and see if that helps.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Report > Export > Copy to clipboard, cents are cutoff when pasting in Excel and currency is Euro.

Excerpt from the report:

Excerpt from Excel for the same transactions (after copy & paste):

@marcus, it does definitely happen here (I just tried again). Try setting:
        macOS > Preferences > Language & Region > Region
    to "France". You probably need to log out and restart Excel.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Under the Investing:Retirement (or education or brokerage) headings on the left sidebar, I've noticed that the graphs for these aggregated selections only show true historical graphs if all the subordinate accounts are shown (unhidden) in the sidebar at left.  Any subordinate accounts that are hidden are not reflected in the aggregate graph.  Notice the screenshot here with all subordinate accounts unhidden: 
    Now, notice the screenshot with a single subordinate account hidden:
    If you're not aware of this issue in reviewing your account history, the graphical presentation can be misleading.  Is there a way to allow hiding of the closed accounts and still allowing their data to be incorporated into these graphs?  If not can it be added?  

Seems like this is an option that could be added to the account selection screen here as a column: image
    to the right of reports.....

s2kdriver... Thanks for the reminder on those dropdown lists.  Unfortunately, when I hide the old investment accounts, the program removes that account information from the graph.  The principal issue is with hiding accounts.  Hiding things generally cuts them out from presentation in the graphs whatsoever.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Thanks for catching that...    :-\

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Reports > New Report, a search bar to filter transactions would be most useful.

Yes exactly, @RickO, that's what I meant.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Register > Category + Transfer, it is impossible to change the category to Uncategorized when there is also a transfer.

1. create a transfer:

2. change the category to Uncategorized:

3. press Enter, the category will change back to the transfer (whether Prefs > General > Transfer is selected or not):

4. there is no such issue if the category is something other than Uncategorized:

I don't believe there should be such a limitation.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Thanks for all the suggestions I will give them a try.
    One question though, if I do as suggested will I have to reconnect to all of my downloading accounts?
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

I don't think so, since I believe all that info is stored in the data file. But instead of trashing the Applications Support folder, move it to the desktop. Then if things go bad, you can always put it back where you found it, replacing the new one that gets created.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options

Register > Category + Transfer, it is impossible to change the category to Uncategorized when there is also a transfer.

1. create a transfer:

3. press Enter, the category will change back to the transfer (whether Prefs > General > Transfer is selected or not):

4. there is no such issue if the category is something other than Uncategorized:

I kinda agree and kinda don't. The thing is, a transfer with no other category takes on the special default "Transfer" top level category. So it's not really uncategorized. I think why this is why it does what it does. If you turn on long category name display, it sorta makes more sense.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

1. create a transfer:

In the event of a doubt, I think we have to go back to the core concepts. Either Uncategorized is a category, or it is an account. It does not appear in the list of accounts, so it is not an account. It does appear in the list of categories, so it is a category. When the option:

Prefs > General > Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field

is off, the category name should be displayed always; at least, that's my understanding of this option. Since Uncategorized is a category, it should be displayed when there is no other category assigned, in my opinion.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options

1. create a transfer:

Technically, Uncategorized is the lack of a category. Or if you like, you can think of it as a category with special properties. The category "Transfer" is also a category with special properties. As such, it is not unexpected for those to behave differently than "regular" categories. 

Essentially, a transfer transaction is never uncategorized. That's because if it hasn't been assigned some other category, it defaults to the Transfer category. If you turn on display of long category names, you'll see that a transaction that displays as "[account]" with short names will display as "Transfer:[account]" with long names. So it really is behaving as designed. 

That said, a Marcus has indicated elsewhere in this thread, the whole square bracket notation is in need of some revamping and that is going to happen at some point going forward.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

1. create a transfer:

Transfers have another special characteristic.  The "Transfer" category, as well as linked transfers of any category, are excluded from the top-level Net Income chart (both transaction count and $ sum).  In addition, transactions using the "Transfer" category are not present in the Spending and Income views. This is correct from my perspective as transfers of all kinds should be neutral across accounts, even if unlinked.  The only improvement I would like to see is that linked transfers (of other categories) be properly handled in the Income and Spending views. There are some inconsistencies in this today, and as Marcus as pointed out before, likely caused by old logic from Quicken Essentials that does not take category analysis into account for the Spending and Income views - only debits and credits.  Hopefully this can be improved in future updates to QM.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Ok, many thanks for the help.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi Marcus - Has the QM team been able to look at the issue of Remove Shares transactions and their unintended impact on Performance Measurements (ROI, IRR) and Realized Gains calculations?  Remove Shares transactions seem to generate a false realized capital loss on the account with negative downstream effects: a) an incorrect realized gains view & report, and b) an incorrect ROI/IRR view.  Remove Shares/Add Shares transactions are useful can be used for several things: Share Exchanges within an account, Share Transfers from account to account or to/from another institution, etc.  Even with a single Remove Shares transaction in the account, the impact is permanent on Gains and ROI/IRR calculations.  Can this be looked at for an upcoming release?
  • slhcrnp
    slhcrnp Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks to all at Quicken for all of the hard work. 
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

1. create a transfer:

@RickO, @s2kdriver, whilst I understand your point, I think this is implementation dependent. You could still achieve the same effect of excluding transfers from net income charts by looking at the Transfer field. If it's not empty, then you would exclude the transaction from the report. This is equivalent to looking at the Category field and excluding or including it depending of whether the Category is "Transfer" or not.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have just come across the following bug and it has resulted in transactions being entered into the wrong register.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Fire up Quicken
    2. "Euros" account is/seems selected on startup (the account name in the sidebar is highlighted in blue)
    3. Enter a few transactions. They end up in the wrong account, because if you look at the account name (the one displayed in large font above the transactions), it's "CCP" and not "Euros" in this example.
    4. Reselecting "Euros" by clicking in the blue background does not change the account to "Euros" but remains "CCP". So it looks like one part of QM really thinks it is in the "Euros" register.
    How can this possibly happen? I never look at the account name in large font and always at the side bar to know if I am in the correct account, so this is quite a serious bug for me.

(some account names and amounts have been intentionally removed from the screenshot)
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options

I have just come across the following bug and it has resulted in transactions being entered into the wrong register.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Fire up Quicken
    2. "Euros" account is/seems selected on startup (the account name in the sidebar is highlighted in blue)
    3. Enter a few transactions. They end up in the wrong account, because if you look at the account name (the one displayed in large font above the transactions), it's "CCP" and not "Euros" in this example.
    4. Reselecting "Euros" by clicking in the blue background does not change the account to "Euros" but remains "CCP". So it looks like one part of QM really thinks it is in the "Euros" register.
    How can this possibly happen? I never look at the account name in large font and always at the side bar to know if I am in the correct account, so this is quite a serious bug for me.

(some account names and amounts have been intentionally removed from the screenshot)
    I believe this has been reported elsewhere too. And for the record, has nothing to do with the account currency selection.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options

Steps to reproduce:

1. Fire up Quicken

I never look at the account name in large font and always at the side bar to know if I am in the correct account
    To paraphrase Steve Jobs: "You're looking at it wrong."   ;)

Now, seriously, while I agree the highlighted account on the left is a bug that needs to get fixed, this seems to have the easiest workaround ever: don't look at the account name on the left; look at the account name on the main window. Problem solved. (Again, I'm not excusing the bug; only pointing out that it's super-easy to avoid entering transactions in the wrong account just by looking at the name at the top of the register.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am looking into converting from Quicken Windows. I have US and Canadian credit cards, and on Windows reports can mixed US and CDN dollar transactions. On Mac, I don't seem to be able to create a spending report comprising multiple currencies. There is only a "Switch Currency..." button which toggles between US and CDN dollars.

Is this a bug or a missing feature? I've searched the support forums and can't tell. Thanks.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Dave Ings said:

I am looking into converting from Quicken Windows. I have US and Canadian credit cards, and on Windows reports can mixed US and CDN dollar transactions. On Mac, I don't seem to be able to create a spending report comprising multiple currencies. There is only a "Switch Currency..." button which toggles between US and CDN dollars.

Is this a bug or a missing feature? I've searched the support forums and can't tell. Thanks.

Hey Dave,

Unfortunately the Mac doesn't support multi-currency conversion at this time, I would review and add your vote to this idea thread https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-true-multi-currency-conversion-support-in-qu....

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Dave Ings said:

Thanks for the speedy reply! I'll go add my vote. Without this feature, which I've relied on for years, I will have to continue to run Quicken in a Windows VM on a Mac.
This discussion has been closed.