Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.4 and Other 5.5.x Releases

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Updated 5.5.5 Q2018 for Mac. What happened to my TABS? Click on "Show All Tabs" ....

What happened to my TABS? Click on "Show All Tabs" and Quicken minimizes!  Seriously?

I sure wasn't seeing crashes, but now I am stuck with a lot of open windows. How about making it an option at least?  This is a real pain in the rear now.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

For a loan already in place, how can I:

1. change the Interest category, and
    2. set a category for the Principal (it was set as a Transfer by the loan wizard)
    for future transactions?

The obvious place to go is the Scheduled Transaction for the loan, but it is greyed out and cannot be changed.

A backup solution is the Loan/Edit Payment Terms wizard. But it allows to do 1. only, not 2.
    The interest category can be changed under the edit loan terms link.  

There is presently and doubt there will be a way in the future to set the principal category for loans to something the user wants.  I've discussed this issue with Marcus and the development team.  

My workaround is generally as follows in order to track this in my budget: 
    1. Don't use the bill reminder through the edit loan terms window (set to no reminder) 
    2. Set up a scheduled transaction that distributes the loan payment to the various categories
    3. Set up another scheduled transaction that reduces the principal in the loan account.  

Until budgets allows for tracking transfers, this is the only workaround I know of to include mortgage payments in budget tracking.  

I wouldn't call this magic, but it works for me.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options

Reports > New Report > Customize > Categories, then:

1. Select: None
    2. Then, progressively select all top level categories, starting from the top and progressing towards the bottom
    3. Each time, selecting a top-level category will automatically select ALL of its children
    4. EXCEPT that, at some point, ONLY SOME children will be selected
    5. WORSE, some categories somewhere up or down the list will be SELECTED/UNSELECTED as a side effect
    6. It looks like QM goes out of sync between the list on screen and list in memory
    Example, clicking once on Vacation:

Clicking again on Vacation:

Clicking a third time on Vacation:

(For some reason, QM doesn't like me spending money on vacations. It must prefer that I spend additional money on QM itself.)
    Sorry, following your procedure, I cannot reproduce. As I click each top level category, all of its children at all levels are selected. When I get to the bottom and scroll back up, every category remains selected.

However, I do observe something else which may be related...

If I enter a top level category that has 2nd and 3rd level children in the search box, only the 2nd level children are displayed. For example:

If I select the top level category, then these 2nd level children also become selected. However, the un-displayed 3rd level children do not get selected, as shown here after clearing the search box:

If I deselect and re-select Taxes in the "un searched" list, then all children at all levels get selected. This can easily lead one to think they've selected all children after a search, when in fact they have only selected the 2nd level, leading to expected transactions missing from reports.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Updated 5.5.5 Q2018 for Mac. What happened to my TABS? Click on "Show All Tabs" ....

What happened to my TABS? Click on "Show All Tabs" and Quicken minimizes!  Seriously?

What is the use case that leads one to wanting a bunch of registers in their own tabs rather than just choosing them in the sidebar of the main window? I guess I'm not seeing it.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Using version 5.5.5 and I'm still wishing that All Transactions would truly allow searching through "all transactions" including those in hidden accounts.  It would allow for faster searching for older information that I need to access occasionally.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Under the Investing:Retirement (or education or brokerage) headings on the left sidebar, I've noticed that the graphs for these aggregated selections only show true historical graphs if all the subordinate accounts are shown (unhidden) in the sidebar at left.  Any subordinate accounts that are hidden are not reflected in the aggregate graph.  Notice the screenshot here with all subordinate accounts unhidden: 
    Now, notice the screenshot with a single subordinate account hidden:
    If you're not aware of this issue in reviewing your account history, the graphical presentation can be misleading.  Is there a way to allow hiding of the closed accounts and still allowing their data to be incorporated into these graphs?  If not can it be added?  

Seems like this is an option that could be added to the account selection screen here as a column: image
    to the right of reports.....
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options

@RickO, it can make it easier to hop around if you're doing work in multiple accounts, such as comparing investment performance between accounts. Also, with tabs, you can maintain your place more easily if account hopping. If I want to copy and paste a memo from one transaction to another, for instance, I can have both transactions open for editing if the accounts are opened in separate windows/tabs, which isn't the case switching accounts in the left sidebar. Personally, I'm generally fine with just using the sidebar, but I do understand the appeal of having multiple accounts open at once, and if so, being able to put them in tabs rather than juggling multiple windows. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options

Makes sense. Thanks.
  • jacobs
    edited March 2018
    Options

There is a bug in the Mac Quicken Deluxe 2018.  Heres how to replicate;
    Enter a transaction and make it an account to account transfer as the category.  
    Leave the program, and relaunch.  
    Use the same Payee so that it comes up as a remembered transaction, with the transfer as the category.  Now go and change the category to an actual category, and hit enter.
    The transaction will be recorded twice, once in that register as a category transaction, and it will also appear in the to: transfer account as a transaction.

Isn't keeping the transaction amount the same the most important? (Leaving aside multi-currency, which is a different issue.) I'm not sure I understand the value of transfer  transactions if you could have more money departing one account than shows up in the other account.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

There is a bug in the Mac Quicken Deluxe 2018.  Heres how to replicate;
    Enter a transaction and make it an account to account transfer as the category.  
    Leave the program, and relaunch.  
    Use the same Payee so that it comes up as a remembered transaction, with the transfer as the category.  Now go and change the category to an actual category, and hit enter.
    The transaction will be recorded twice, once in that register as a category transaction, and it will also appear in the to: transfer account as a transaction.

Quick clarification re jacobs comment above.  I was never suggesting that QM support different monetary amounts on a transfer - that needs to be the same, only that it support independence of supplementary fields (e.g. memo, payee, etc), since these can be different on each side of linked transactions.
  • jacobs
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @SnoopyFC's screen shots remind me of another thing I wish the developers would clean up with the investment graphs: choosing better values for the Y axis. Quicken appears to basically be taking the difference of  the maximum and minimum, and dividing by 10 for the values on the Y axis. But who wants a chart with values like 82,000, 123,000, 164,000? You'd prefer to see 75,000, 125,000, 175,000, or perhaps 50,000, 100,000 and 150,000.

To be fair, it's far better in Quicken 2018 than Quicken 2017 and earlier, where you'd see Y axis values like 104.95k, 108.84k, 112.73k. But it would be great to go a step further and have the software understand that humans are going to want grid line units in multiples of round numbers (like 5, 10, 25, 100 of hundreds or thousands or or tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands).
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Under the Investing:Retirement (or education or brokerage) headings on the left sidebar, I've noticed that the graphs for these aggregated selections only show true historical graphs if all the subordinate accounts are shown (unhidden) in the sidebar at left.  Any subordinate accounts that are hidden are not reflected in the aggregate graph.  Notice the screenshot here with all subordinate accounts unhidden: 
    If you're not aware of this issue in reviewing your account history, the graphical presentation can be misleading.  Is there a way to allow hiding of the closed accounts and still allowing their data to be incorporated into these graphs?  If not can it be added?  

Seems like this is an option that could be added to the account selection screen here as a column: image

Note that the included accounts in the summary page for the aggregated investment headings (Investing, Brokerage, Retirement, Education) are controlled by the filter drop-down list just below the graph area.  If you want to show all accounts, or only a subset of accounts in the graph & portfolio tables, the functionality is already there in the filter settings.  Adding a second way of selecting this may be confusing and could conflict with the filter's existing functionality.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

So if I were to filter out closed accounts, would the value of those still be shown on the graph? I’d like to be able to hide closed accounts on the sidebar, but still have their historic value represented graphically.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

I understand your desire to hide the now-empty accounts from the sidebar, but keep history in graphs and other performance reporting - especially for investments.  I have this issue myself, but currently just live with any important but empty accounts in the sidebar to ensure they are included in calculations.  My point above was meant to highlight that QM has scope assumptions designed around sidebar visibility, as well as filtering techniques below that.  Changes around these assumptions may cause other side-effects which would have to be carefully thought through (e.g. how to let the user know the scope is greater than the visible sidebar accounts, what to include in the transaction list, what accounts are visible in the drop down filters, etc).  Not an impossible issue to solve, but not obvious from a usability perspective.  Perhaps others may have interesting ideas or opinions on how best to address this.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

For a loan already in place, how can I:

1. change the Interest category, and
    2. set a category for the Principal (it was set as a Transfer by the loan wizard)
    for future transactions?

The obvious place to go is the Scheduled Transaction for the loan, but it is greyed out and cannot be changed.

A backup solution is the Loan/Edit Payment Terms wizard. But it allows to do 1. only, not 2.
    I do not know enough about this but not being able to set your own principal account does not make a lot of sense. You can in QM2007...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

I too am a BIG user of multiple windows...I work with multiple accounts all the time (I have over 100 active accounts) for lots of different comparison work, and then there are times I leave account windows open open simply to remind me that I have unfinished business in that account, rather than constantly having to make notes somewhere...

This in and out kind of approach, so common on cell phones, just does not work for me, as I often have so many things on the go at the same time.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Using version 5.5.5 and I'm still wishing that All Transactions would truly allow searching through "all transactions" including those in hidden accounts.  It would allow for faster searching for older information that I need to access occasionally.  

You can add your VOTE to Add Option to Search in Hidden Account Registers.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Marcus and the Mac guys-- I am not able to enter passwords to my Schwab accounts supposedly to the keychain and update any transactions or prices.  I reenter the passwords and transactions and prices still do not update.  I have done 2 reboots with the same result.

Is it a problem that Line of Credit accounts are listed under "Credit Card" and Checking Accounts are listed under "Cash" in the sidebar?  (Quicken for Mac 2018)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Marcus and the Mac guys-- I am not able to enter passwords to my Schwab accounts supposedly to the keychain and update any transactions or prices.  I reenter the passwords and transactions and prices still do not update.  I have done 2 reboots with the same result.

Am I correct that the Action column servers no operational purpose?  Unrelated: Could the developers add a pop-up, "Are you sure you want to delete that transaction?" since it's done with a simple delete key press.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options

Correct, the Action column doesn't affect any functionality. Therefore, you can really use it for anything you want. For example, I use it to note credit card transactions that were done through ApplePay or PayPal.

I'm not sure a deletion confirmation is necessary since Quicken has unlimited levels of Undo. If you inadvertently delete a transaction, just click menu Edit > Undo (or Command-Z on the keyboard) to bring it back.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Very helpful. Thanks!  In an earlier comment I inquired about the categorization of accounts in the side bar.  I don't think this a functionality issue but more one of interface logic.  Correct?
  • jacobs
    edited March 2018
    Options

Yes, Quicken handles a line of credit like a credit card, and all checking accounts, savings accounts and cash accounts are all grouped under a heading of Cash. You might prefer to group them differently or use different nomenclature, but there's no option to re-name or re-group accounts.  (This is an often-requested change for the future; you can go to this page and click Vote at the top right to vote for this feature, and/or browse this page for other topics related to user interface improvements which you can click on and vote on. the developers look at votes on this site as one of their areas of guidance on what features and enhancements to tackle.)

You can vote for the idea to have an optional warning to confirm a transaction deletion on this page. That's one I'd like, too. Although unlimited undo is a great feature of Quicken Mac, it assumes you (a) know you inadvertently or incorrectly deleted a transaction, and (b) that you did it in the current session and (c) not too many steps before. I've found I've sometimes deleted something without realizing it, and only discovered it much later when Undo would not be useful. I'd love to be able to turn on a preference to get an "Are you sure?"-type warning for deleting transactions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for 5.5.5.  The investment area performance has been significantly improved.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Exactly!  The other disappointment for me, after literally 25 years of Quicken use, was that my fairly elaborate custom reports didn't carry over.  I have dozens of them.

The new report generator will take some getting used to.  Maybe it's just me but seeing sums on the top of a long list of numbers is just counterintuitive.  I learned to add from top to bottom with the sum at the bottom. 

Change is hard when you're old(er).
  • jacobs
    edited April 2018
    Options

No, Mark, it’s not you! The subtotals and totals on top of a column of numbers drives me crazy. No financial reports outside of Quicken do this. My understanding is that it’s a feature the operating system provides, so it’s less programming work this way — but I still really want them to change this.

As for other features (or lack thereof) with reports, you should know that they are partway through revamping the very limited reports which have been in the Mac product since this new generation first launched three years ago. Hopefully we’ll see a lot more enhancements with reports as the year goes on.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    wiedemag said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Lost Tab Ability in QM 18 5.5.5 Upgrade Which Worked in 5.5.4?.

Running QM 2018 5.5.5 on 17" MacBook Pro with 10.13.3.

Long time Quicken user since 1988 and have been reluctant to leave QM 2007 for reasons well explained in other posts (primarily dealing with report deficiencies)...until 2 weeks ago...when I could no longer nurse along my corrupted QM 2007 file. It kept crashing and I would loose hours of work when the file could not be re-opened...nor would the frequent 5 or 6 duplicates AND "save a copy" files (if that process could complete without crashing!!) open.

After having been "forced" to migrate to QM18 to preserve my sanity, I have been very pleasantly surprised to have discovered many benefits NOT available in 2007.

One benefit has been the Tab ability (explained recently in a prior post by others) which I used often in 5.5.4 to allow rapid but still neat accessibility to other accounts while maintaining the Home window unchanged .

Unfortunately, I am unable to find that capability again since upgrading to 5.5.5.

I would ask that any 5.5.5 users try to activate that ability and see if it works for them with this new version and report back...perhaps I am just using wobbly thought about how I used to access that ability??

Note to Marcus...the merge of this thread was not done correctly so you may want to see the rest of the discussion about this thread at the link to the original post above...

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

+1 on this issue, I keep certain accounts active even though they are no longer used in order to track the transactions
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options

I actually don't mind, maybe would even say like the subtotals on the top. Reason: those lines are live so they can be collapsed if you want to view only the totals without the detail for any particular group or subgroup. If they were below, collapsing the info above would be very counterintuitive. So I've gotten used to it and now don't mind at all.
  • jacobs
    edited March 2018
    Options

The software *could* be written to have subtotals on the bottom, and still be collapsable. I would think that would satisfy everyone -- except maybe the developers, who have to code this manually instead of using the "cheat" of downward collapsing which comes in the macOS toolbox, as I understand it. (Or as a partial compromise, they could make the on-screen version with totals on top and collapsable, and printed reports come out with totals on bottom.)

If Quicken is the only financial software you use, this may not be an issue. If you use any other financial software, or if you read company financial statements, or if you otherwise interact with accounting reports elsewhere in the world, this is the reverse, so I find it very frustrating. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Mark R  You can add your VOTE for SubTotals on reports (Ideally at the Bottom of Data) and for the Ability to carry forward report formats from other versions.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Report Related Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

This discussion has been closed.