Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.4 and Other 5.5.x Releases

Options

Comments

• s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Since Quicken Deluxe for Mac 5.5.4 upgrade "Share Balance" column for individual securities is no longer calculating and displaying.  Here are the details.  I have an investment account that holds individual stocks.  I have the "Shares" column and the "Share Balance" columns displayed in the "Transaction" register view.  When a security is bought or sold the "Shares" column shows the number of shares purchased or sold.  The "Share Balance" column shows the new amount of total shares of that security I now own.  This has worked just fine until I upgraded to 5.5.4.  Since the upgrade the "Share Balance" column is blank.  The "Share Balance" data does display for all transactions that occurred BEFORE I upgraded to 5.5.4.  All transactions I download after the upgrade no longer calculate and display data in this column.  Is this a bug?  Is it a new feature?  Did I miss something in the upgrade release notes?  Anyone else seeing this issue?  I sure would like to get this data back!
    BTW a couple of my accounts (all at the same institution) show the current "Share Balance" in the column but most do not.

Starting with QM 5.5.3 there was an issue with the portfolio view not updating for some people (myself included) after a web connect import of new investment transactions (buys, sells, etc) on existing securities.  A side effect of this was that the share balance column (in the register) was blank for those new transactions.  A work-around was to manually "touch" the new transactions (once for each different security) by altering the price slightly or even the security name, then returning it to the original value.  QM would then recognize the new transactions and update the portfolio view and the share balance column.  I had hoped that QM 5.5.4 fixed this bug, but I am not sure since I have not imported any new buys or sells since the update.  Does anyone know if QM 5.5.4 fixed this problem?  Perhaps Craig in ER is seeing this issue.  Criag in ER - is your portfolio view being updated with a new share balance, or is it incorrect as well?
  • john2018
    john2018 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Stock transactions are not getting posted to the portfolio.  The portfolio market value is off by the same amount.

I bought 2 new stocks and a mutual fund in 2 different accounts on 3/6, both @ Fidelity.    The buys show up in transactions, but not in the portfolio.   The workaround of adding a 0 $ buy of the same stock and then erasing the temporary manual transaction entry and the automatic shadow entry at the bottom of the register still corrects the problem. 

Version 5.5.4 (Build 55.21598.100)  on macOS 10.13.3
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Since Quicken Deluxe for Mac 5.5.4 upgrade "Share Balance" column for individual securities is no longer calculating and displaying.  Here are the details.  I have an investment account that holds individual stocks.  I have the "Shares" column and the "Share Balance" columns displayed in the "Transaction" register view.  When a security is bought or sold the "Shares" column shows the number of shares purchased or sold.  The "Share Balance" column shows the new amount of total shares of that security I now own.  This has worked just fine until I upgraded to 5.5.4.  Since the upgrade the "Share Balance" column is blank.  The "Share Balance" data does display for all transactions that occurred BEFORE I upgraded to 5.5.4.  All transactions I download after the upgrade no longer calculate and display data in this column.  Is this a bug?  Is it a new feature?  Did I miss something in the upgrade release notes?  Anyone else seeing this issue?  I sure would like to get this data back!
    BTW a couple of my accounts (all at the same institution) show the current "Share Balance" in the column but most do not.

RickO - Yes I am referring to the Sell and Buy transactions only.  The Share column shows the shares bought/sold but the Share Balance column shows no data - it used to show the new share balance after the transaction.

Concordman - Yes, the Share Balance is selected in the register.

s2kdriver -  I think this is the same bug as was found in 5.5.3.  I was able to get the Share Balance amount to display using this method - I don't know if future downloads will work correctly.
    With the Account selected and the transaction register open I went to Menu Accounts and selected Item Settings.  In the Settings window I selected Troubleshooting tab.  There I set the "Download transactions starting" to the date where the Share Balance data was not being displayed.  I then clicked the "Save" button.  After a few seconds the share balance column populated with the data.  And, the number of shares in the share balance column matched the number in the Portfolio view share total AND matched the total shares listed in my brokerage account.  So, the data is correct.  However, not all of the Share Balance transactions were fixed.  There are some securities where the Share Balance is still missing in the Transaction Register.  I would say about 90% were fixed.
    I used this same method for my other accounts and the Share Balance column populated with correct data.  I have not done any downloads of new transactions recently so I don't know if the same problem will occur again of if I fixed corrupt data.  I will let you know.
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    john2018 said:

Stock transactions are not getting posted to the portfolio.  The portfolio market value is off by the same amount.

I bought 2 new stocks and a mutual fund in 2 different accounts on 3/6, both @ Fidelity.    The buys show up in transactions, but not in the portfolio.   The workaround of adding a 0 $ buy of the same stock and then erasing the temporary manual transaction entry and the automatic shadow entry at the bottom of the register still corrects the problem. 

john2018 - I also download from Fidelity.  I don't know if the Share Balance issue I reported is a bug in Quicken 5.5.4, a Fidelity download problem, a download problem in general (other brokerages as well) or both.  Let's hear what others report.
  • john2018
    john2018 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    DId a sell early this AM.   As late as 4:00 Mountain Time, it doesn't show up in the downloads - neither the transaction or portfolio view.   This used to update almost immediately.

If I pull 5.5.3 out of my backup drive,  can I use it without damaging the new data file?

• john2018
    john2018 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    john2018 said:

DId a sell yesterday in a Fidelity account.  The sale shows up in transactions view.  the shares out is populated, but the share balance column is blank for this transaction.    The portfolio view does not have the correct toal, it shows the total before the sale.  Probably the same issue with something not updating a slot in the database that both areas pull the numbers from.  
    Putting in a dummy but updates the sale from yesterday in both places, but the dummy Share Balance remains blank.  
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

I just downloaded new transactions from my brokerage and the Share Balance column data did NOT update as I experienced previously.  There is definitely a bug in version 5.5.4!  I did what was suggested by others and entered a dummy buy/sell transaction of $0 for securities where the share balance did not update and as soon as I hit the enter key the share balance correctly populated in the Share Balance column for that security.  This bug needs to be fixed.  I hope it is done in 5.5.5.
    BTW I use Direct Connect for these accounts as Quicken Connect is not available.
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    john2018 said:

This is exactly the behavior I am experiencing with one exception.  When I create a dummy transaction the Share Balance column does populate with a new share balance for the dummy transaction.  The dummy transaction does cause the share balance to populate for the real transaction and the portfolio share amount gets updated as well.  This is a very disconcerting bug that gives us false data and thus false assumptions and decisions.  Quicken needs to fix this ASAP!
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    john2018 said:

Further comment.  Since the total shares in the portfolio are not being updated because of this bug it throws the entire portfolio $ totals and net worth completely out of whack until we force a share total update using the work around mentioned previously.  Again, false, inaccurate data could lead to inappropriate financial decisions.  This bug should get priority attention.
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

There is one more workaround for this bug rather than adding a dummy transaction.  Open the transaction for editing such as double clicking on it or right click select "Edit".  Then edit the transaction by adding a digit to the end of the number of shares transacted and clicking save.  The Share Balance amount will then update in the register.  You then have to go in and remove that digit so your shares are correct and save again.  So, for example I sold 9.254 shares of XYZ.  I edited this to 9.2541 and saved.  The share balance updated.  i then went back and removed the 1 and saved again.  Adding a 0 does not work.  Tedious but works until they get this bug fixed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Marcus and the Mac guys-- I am not able to enter passwords to my Schwab accounts supposedly to the keychain and update any transactions or prices.  I reenter the passwords and transactions and prices still do not update.  I have done 2 reboots with the same result.

There is a bug in the Mac Quicken Deluxe 2018.  Heres how to replicate;
    Enter a transaction and make it an account to account transfer as the category.  
    Leave the program, and relaunch.  
    Use the same Payee so that it comes up as a remembered transaction, with the transfer as the category.  Now go and change the category to an actual category, and hit enter.
    The transaction will be recorded twice, once in that register as a category transaction, and it will also appear in the to: transfer account as a transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Use the same Payee so that it comes up as a remembered transaction, with the transfer as the category.  Now go and change the category to an actual category, and hit enter.
    The transaction will be recorded twice, once in that register as a category transaction, and it will also appear in the to: transfer account as a transaction.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options

Marcus and the Mac guys-- I am not able to enter passwords to my Schwab accounts supposedly to the keychain and update any transactions or prices.  I reenter the passwords and transactions and prices still do not update.  I have done 2 reboots with the same result.

This is a known issue. You need to turn on the Transfer column so that you can see that the transfer from the previous transaction remains after you change the category.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options

This is a known issue. You need to turn on the Transfer column so that you can see that the transfer remains from the previous transaction after you change the category.

Also, BTW, no need to post the same thing twice.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Yes, QMac has the unique ability to allow a transaction to be both a Transfer AND be categorized also, something that other versions of Quicken cannot do (QM2007 and earlier or QWin). 

BUT the problem is with the use of the Preference "Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field" AND not having the Transfer field showing:

When this features was introduced in QM2017 v4.3 (just over a year ago), it was so you could use the Category field to enter transfers WITHOUT the need to have the Transfer field visible. 

The problem is that the developers did not correctly handled this very use case correctly, where a transaction that was once a recorded as a transfer is reused but when the user reuses that transactions, the user has no clue that the Transfer field is filled in AND provides no way provides no way to remove the transfer without making the transfer field visible, thereby defeating the very purpose of the new feature.

The work-around is to make the Transfer field visible and remove that info.
    BUT I also strongly suggest that you use the Report a Problem menu option to submit this issue to the developers to provide a better means of handling this situation. The more report this problem the more likely they are to try to do something to fix it.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

See reply above:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-5-4-and-other-5-5-x-rele...

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Just being hit by this bug. This should really be fixed because it is so unsafe.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    A couple of issues with loans :
    • Changing the date of the Loan Opening Balance transaction duplicates the transaction (they have different amounts though).  This is very confusing. This should either not be possible, or simply change the date and not create a new transaction.
    • When you edit the LOB to make it a transfer, go to the other side of the transfer and change the date of the other side, the link between the LOB and the other side suddenly breaks. I.e. the LOB no longer shows as a transfer. (But the other side still does - weird !) Again, this should either not be possible or work as expected.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Am I really missing something obvious, or is there no easy way to go to the other side of a transfer ? I mean like right-click menu and select Go To Transfer ?

The only times I ever viewed such a menu, was when I wanted to edit one side of a transfer and QM suddenly pop-up a window saying: "This transaction is locked, please go to transfer."

Why is one side locked BTW? This seems weird and unlike what I was used to before. To me, both side should be editable either way.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I just came across the following bug:
    1. All transactions, type something in the search box.
    2. Preferences, change transactions display from Short to Long.
    3. Go back to All transactions. The display has been updated and most transactions show a Long category, but some do not.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Am I really missing something obvious, or is there no easy way to go to the other side of a transfer ? I mean like right-click menu and select Go To Transfer ?

The only times I ever viewed such a menu, was when I wanted to edit one side of a transfer and QM suddenly pop-up a window saying: "This transaction is locked, please go to transfer."

Why is one side locked BTW? This seems weird and unlike what I was used to before. To me, both side should be editable either way.

There is a little arrow near the Transfer field to take you to the other side IF the field is visible...but if you use the Category field as a shortcut to enter transfers, it likely is not. 

You can add your VOTE to Add Keyboard Shortcut to Jump to Other Side of Transfer Transaction.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There's an issue with CSV exported reports. The file does not open well in Excel. When UTF-8 characters are present, they show as gibberish (see screenshot below).

Re-saving the file as UTF-8 with BOM seems to fix the issue. But this has to be done manually and is clearly not a long term workaround.

@marcus, this probably rings a bell from your previous life...
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There is another issue with CSV exported reports. Amounts show up in at least three different columns. This makes it impossible to post-process.

See example below:

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Yes I do use the Category field as a shortcut. I've just voted (and on a couple of other features also).
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Whilst I'm at exported reports, is there any way to just have a list of transactions, without any subtotal ? I would like to be able to post-process in Excel with PivotTable and subtotals get in the way.

Am I missing something obvious?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options

John, I user the Category field as a shortcut for data entry, but I still make the Transfer column visible in registers. Make it as narrow as it will allow, and it won't take up much screen real estate -- yet it gives you a visual cue that there is a transfer, and gives you the arrow when you hover over the transfer column to jump to the other side of the transfer.

I'm not sure what you mean about transfers being locked. You can edit either side of a transfer  transaction, and it will change the other side because they are linked transactions. This makes sense to me, and seems the way it should work. If it allowed you to change the amount on one side without affecting the other side -- especially if you weren't even aware it was a transfer -- I think that would create all sorts of problems. You can always remove the transfer from one side of a transaction if you want; it will make the other side of the transfer vanish, but you can go back to the other account and manually add a non-transfer transaction if that's what you want.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Thanks @jacobs, I will add Transfer column as you suggest. It seems odd to me, coming from another piece of software, including a very old version of Quicken, that transfers and categories are not one and the same thing. But I can see the benefit very much.

Loan transactions have a tendency to be locked on one side, for no obvious reason to me. If you can edit one side, why couldn't you be able to edit the other as well? It sounds like the (QE?) programmer completed one part of the code and not the other.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    For a loan already in place, how can I:
    1. change the Interest category, and
    2. set a category for the Principal (it was set as a Transfer by the loan wizard)
    for future transactions?

The obvious place to go is the Scheduled Transaction for the loan, but it is greyed out and cannot be changed.

A backup solution is the Loan/Edit Payment Terms wizard. But it allows to do 1. only, not 2.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    All Transactions/Transactions, how does QM infer how many scheduled transactions to display?

It does not show all and probably should (why limit the list to a subset when you've come all this way to, precisely, see all transactions ?). 

The Settings button is greyed out, so there is no possibility to change change the "Account/Scheduled Transaction" option (unless I am missing something).

It's as if QM was inferring the number of scheduled transactions to display from one of the accounts included in the list. Maybe the one that was selected previously? Maybe settling on the lowest common denominator?
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Here is another bug:
    1. %I to open the Transaction Info window
    2. move to the category field
    3. start typing
    4. the Category selection popup opens BEHIND the Transaction window
This discussion has been closed.