Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.4 and Other 5.5.x Releases

Comments

• wiedemag
    wiedemag Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Lost Tab Ability in QM 18 5.5.5 Upgrade Which Worked in 5.5.4?.

Running QM 2018 5.5.5 on 17" MacBook Pro with 10.13.3.

Long time Quicken user since 1988 and have been reluctant to leave QM 2007 for reasons well explained in other posts (primarily dealing with report deficiencies)...until 2 weeks ago...when I could no longer nurse along my corrupted QM 2007 file. It kept crashing and I would loose hours of work when the file could not be re-opened...nor would the frequent 5 or 6 duplicates AND "save a copy" files (if that process could complete without crashing!!) open.

After having been "forced" to migrate to QM18 to preserve my sanity, I have been very pleasantly surprised to have discovered many benefits NOT available in 2007.

One benefit has been the Tab ability (explained recently in a prior post by others) which I used often in 5.5.4 to allow rapid but still neat accessibility to other accounts while maintaining the Home window unchanged .

Unfortunately, I am unable to find that capability again since upgrading to 5.5.5.

I would ask that any 5.5.5 users try to activate that ability and see if it works for them with this new version and report back...perhaps I am just using wobbly thought about how I used to access that ability??
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Updated 5.5.5 Q2018 for Mac. What happened to my TABS? Click on "Show All Tabs" ....

What happened to my TABS? Click on "Show All Tabs" and Quicken minimizes!  Seriously?
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    john2018 said:

Stock transactions are not getting posted to the portfolio.  The portfolio market value is off by the same amount.

I bought 2 new stocks and a mutual fund in 2 different accounts on 3/6, both @ Fidelity.    The buys show up in transactions, but not in the portfolio.   The workaround of adding a 0 $ buy of the same stock and then erasing the temporary manual transaction entry and the automatic shadow entry at the bottom of the register still corrects the problem. 

Version 5.5.4 (Build 55.21598.100)  on macOS 10.13.3

Yes, this issue seems to be resolved now as far as I can tell.  I will check again when I have a need to download more transaction.  I think I can relax now.  Thank you to the Quicken team for fixing this.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

A couple of issues with loans :

• Changing the date of the Loan Opening Balance transaction duplicates the transaction (they have different amounts though).  This is very confusing. This should either not be possible, or simply change the date and not create a new transaction.
    • When you edit the LOB to make it a transfer, go to the other side of the transfer and change the date of the other side, the link between the LOB and the other side suddenly breaks. I.e. the LOB no longer shows as a transfer. (But the other side still does - weird !) Again, this should either not be possible or work as expected.
    I tried changing the date of the LOB but I don't get a duplicate transaction.  Are you changing the date in the register or in Edit Loan Terms?  You probably want to edit it in Loan Terms anyway since your amortization table won't be updated if you only change it in the register.  Are you changing this on a connected account or manual?

I'm also not able to reproduce your second point.  We must have our loans set up differently.  Are you changing the opening balance generated from the Edit Loan  & Payment Terms?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018

I just came across the following bug:

1. All transactions, type something in the search box.
    2. Preferences, change transactions display from Short to Long.
    3. Go back to All transactions. The display has been updated and most transactions show a Long category, but some do not.
    Can you be more specific about what categories don't show a long category names?  When I tried this the only ones that I saw were root categories or categories at the top of the hierarchy.  Can you be more specific?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

There is a bug in the Mac Quicken Deluxe 2018.  Heres how to replicate;
    Enter a transaction and make it an account to account transfer as the category.  
    Leave the program, and relaunch.  
    Use the same Payee so that it comes up as a remembered transaction, with the transfer as the category.  Now go and change the category to an actual category, and hit enter.
    The transaction will be recorded twice, once in that register as a category transaction, and it will also appear in the to: transfer account as a transaction.

And in option 2, editing the transfer out should be easy by simply removing the [account] in the category field.

P.S. I reported this problem WAY back in 2016 during BETA of v4.3...since the feature to allow entry of transfers in the category field was introduced, and I re-reported this again in a subsequent BETA soon after, and it has been reported on this forum multiple times...seems like there are some gaps in the process...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    moski said:

Marcus, I uncovered a new bug in how Comparison reports work when the two date ranges being selected have an overlap. I started a thread about it here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/comparison-chart-errors-data-left-out?utm_source...

I hope that link works, but in case it doesn't here are my original posts on this:

Initial: In Quicken Deluxe Mac 2018, I was creating a comparison chart to show current monthly Income vs. Expense compared to current year.  In the time period selection box when Customizing a report, the top dropdown says "Date Range" and the second one says "Compare To".  So naturally, I chose This Month as the first and This Year as the second. The date ranges next to each selection modified themselves correctly. But when I run this report it does two things. First, it puts the Year first and the Month second, which doesn't make any sense. Whatever is the first date range should be the first column in the report. But the more nefarious problem is that for some reason, in this configuration it totally ignores any data for the month. That column is all zeroes!  It's like the data doesn't exist. It does show data in the Year column, but this data is wrong because it's not including any of the data from the current month.  When I swap the Date Range and Compare To variables, to show This Year first and This Month second, then the monthly data does show up in the left column, the Yearly in the right, all the data seems to be there and it all adds up. I created a spreadsheet showing those differences...there's no place to attach that spreadsheet here but if the Quicken folks would like to see this I can send it along. It is a repeatable error.  So there is a workaround, but the behavior for this report is all hosed up.

First Follow Up: I've been studying this some more and I think I understand how their calculations are working. It appears that whatever appears in the left column is subtracted from the right column.  I tested this by playing around with using This Month vs. Month to Date in the left column (the lower date range selection). When This Month is selected, any future-dated transactions are included in the left column and that number is bigger.  When Month to Date is selected, these future transactions are removed from the left column but are now added in the right column.  This would also explain why when Year is in the left column, the right column is empty because obviously all those transactions would be subtracted from the right column.  

This means that actually, what I thought was a workaround isn't, as I'm not getting the comparison I was actually looking for.  I wanted something that I had in Quicken Mac 2007, which was a simple report that showed an expense statement for the month compared to the year so I could generally see how things are doing.  This comparison report is either calculated incorrectly, or was designed for some other reason, although I can't fathom what that would be.

Another "feature" or "bug" that I discovered is that when you click on any of the values in the report to get a drill down, it actually doesn't show the same data as the report itself. At least in the Year (right) column, when you click on any value it will actually show all transactions for the year in that category, and yet the report will only show the subtracted amount as described above.

So it is still very difficult to get at the simple Month vs. Year income statement that I am trying to see, unless there's some other way to do this.  I would love to hear from Quicken about this.

Second Follow Up: One final note and then I'm done for the day on this. The error (or feature!) seems to only exist when the two date ranges overlap, or when one date range is a subset of the other.  I have another comparison report showing last year to this year and the problems don't show up. Which makes me think this is a bug that Quicken needs to iron out.

In case this gets missed in the other discussion thread on this (https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/comparison-chart-errors-data-left-out?topic-repl...)

Marcus, this is an example of not leveraging what has already been designed in QM2007 and QWin, where they have this ability...please refer to previous designs, logic, etc., to make sure the full scope of a function is taken into account when re-implementing it in QMac...

Not taking the time to do this keeps resulting in gaps in features that users need and actually use...I do not think that releasing a function with less features and waiting to see if someone complains is a good approach for functions you are choosing to re-deploy...after all, there are decades of refinements that already went into those features, most for good reasons. Please factor this into your review process.

Thanks for your consideration.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

• Changing the date of the Loan Opening Balance transaction duplicates the transaction (they have different amounts though).  This is very confusing. This should either not be possible, or simply change the date and not create a new transaction.
    • When you edit the LOB to make it a transfer, go to the other side of the transfer and change the date of the other side, the link between the LOB and the other side suddenly breaks. I.e. the LOB no longer shows as a transfer. (But the other side still does - weird !) Again, this should either not be possible or work as expected.
    P.S. My suggested solution was not the best at the time...but it was only a suggestion...What RickO suggests seems simple and clean enough to address all issues.

• Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018

There's an issue with CSV exported reports. The file does not open well in Excel. When UTF-8 characters are present, they show as gibberish (see screenshot below).

Re-saving the file as UTF-8 with BOM seems to fix the issue. But this has to be done manually and is clearly not a long term workaround.

@marcus, this probably rings a bell from your previous life...

Thanks for reporting this.  I'll take a look.  It seems like a simple fix.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Use the same Payee so that it comes up as a remembered transaction, with the transfer as the category.  Now go and change the category to an actual category, and hit enter.
    The transaction will be recorded twice, once in that register as a category transaction, and it will also appear in the to: transfer account as a transaction.

I've noticed this issue as well, and it's a pretty annoying one that needs to be fixed.  I like the bracket setup so that I don't need to have the transfer column open.  I like RickO's options above.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018

Whilst I'm at exported reports, is there any way to just have a list of transactions, without any subtotal ? I would like to be able to post-process in Excel with PivotTable and subtotals get in the way.

Am I missing something obvious?

You can also export register transactions to CSV.  If you want all transactions, click on All transactions, go to the File : Export: Register Transactions to CSV File... menu.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Updated 5.5.5 Q2018 for Mac. What happened to my TABS? Click on "Show All Tabs" ....

What happened to my TABS? Click on "Show All Tabs" and Quicken minimizes!  Seriously?

We turned tabs off in 5.5.5 because we believe it was the primary cause of our #1 crash.  The crash would manifest itself in Quicken crashing when switching windows or bringing Quicken to the forefront, etc. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018

Marcus, just for clarity... You wrote in another thread "We turned tabs off in 5.5.5 because we think it's causing Quicken to crash. We'll be seeing if this crash goes away after this change.  If it doesn't then we could possibly turn them back on again." That suggests that you'll likely turn tabs back on if the same crash continues to appear now with them off.

But what about the converse: if those crashes are gone in 5.5.5, do you intend to spend time seeking the cause of Quicken crashing with tabs on, in order to bring them back at a later date? Or are you suggesting that if this is the culprit, tabs will simply stay banished?

I know there are a fair number of users who utilize tabs, and this is likely to be a recurring question/complaint in the forum over time, so I don't want to pass along a reply which might be misleading. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I'm wondering if this is a more complete answer: "Tabs are turned off in 5.5.5 to see if it removes a crashing problem. If tabs prove not to be the culprit, we'll look at bringing them back in one of our upcoming releases. It tabs do prove to be the culprit, then we've got more work to do to try to isolate what is causing the crash; we will bring back tabs eventually, but it may not be in the near future because we don't know how long it will take to find and remedy the problem."

Thanks.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018

@smayer97... I think you meant to attach this comment to the previous reply regarding the bracket transfer notation?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

What are tabs and how do you use them?  I know it's a moot point on 5.5.5, but where was the thread that explained them?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018

@SnoopyFC... 

Here's an explanation: https://www.macworld.com/article/3088342/macs/how-to-use-tabs-in-macos-sierra.html

Quicken's implementation worked for registers opened in their own separate windows, but excluded the main window (for good reason).

The easiest way to see how it works is to open TextEdit, create 2 or 3 new documents and play with the View and Window menus.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Thanks for the tip.  I just hadn't tried this in Quicken.  Hope it's reactivated.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

P.S. My suggested solution was not the best at the time...but it was only a suggestion...What RickO suggests seems simple and clean enough to address all issues.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Thx....I reposted in the right place/context...   :-\  

• s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    s2kdriver said:

Hi Marcus, I believe there is still a bug in the Specify Lots feature.  I mentioned this in a previous thread, but now have some grabs from 5.5.4 to better illustrate the problem.  Future transactions somehow influence the shares "Available to Sell" in previous transactions.  See attached screen shots.  In addition, I am putting in a plug for an "ACB" Specify Lots preset for Canadian users...

The lot calculations for "Available to Sell" are working properly in 5.5.5 and are not perturbed by future transactions.  I am now able to use the custom lots feature to manually implement an ACB cost base method.  Some automation would be great for the future, but thanks Marcus for getting the basic capability fixed - much appreciated.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

I would like to bring up a point regarding how QM links pre-existing transactions together across accounts when they are recognized as being related.  If you have separate downloaded transactions for 2 accounts, and then choose to create a link (using the Transfer column or via Transfer:[] in the Category column), QM can often recognize the 2 transactions are associated and will offer to link them.  However, sometimes there are side effects which are not desirable - e.g. transaction dates and/or payees are forced into alignment, memo/notes are forced into alignment, etc.  What are the rules for this automatic linking function?  In my opinion, it would be best to just leave the individual transaction fields alone and create the linkage without modifying the data on either side.  Can the Quicken Mac team explain what they intend to happen with these automatic links?  And what is allowed regarding modification of these fields (e.g. date, payee, notes, etc) after the transactions are linked?  I would prefer to have these fields remain independent on each side of the transaction as the meaning on each side may be different and thus would benefit from independance.  In addition, any automated modification caused by transaction linking may overwrite data downloaded from an institution. This is not ideal.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

This is an interesting observation. I can see a case being made for both. Though not always ideal, I am used to the way QM2007 handles it, which is when a linked transfer is FIRST CREATED (new entry), the fields are COPIED to each side of the link BUT after that, the link no longer syncs the two transactions, except for the date...it only maintains the link and nothing more, keeping all fields (except date) on both sides independent. And there are definitely cases where that is necessary, as you point out.

Maybe an in between would be to prompt the user to decide each time whether to sync the data on both sides each time an edit is saved, or manage that via Preference Settings...Of course, I do see the need to keep dates in sync 100% (99.9%?) of the time.

• s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

I agree with smayer97's comments regarding how QM2007 handles things - if the linked transaction is to be newly created on the other side, then a copy of fields is appropriate followed by independence of editing afterwards.  In my comments above, the situation I was describing was for linking pre-existing transactions, where I believe fields should not be overwritten.  Regarding the date - there actually is a case where the dates can be different: if you transfer funds from one institution to another (each with an account in QM), the funds may depart the 1st institution (e.g. a bank) on a given date, and arrive/clear at the 2nd institution (e.g. a brokerage) on a different date.  Whether QM should handle this case is a matter of opinion, and perhaps the logic to handle date differences would become too burdensome.  In cases where this has happened to me I let QM override the date (resulting in a minor inaccuracy vs. institution records) in favour of the higher value (to me) of showing the linkage.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Yes, that is one valid case, which is when I choose to record in the memo field the actual date processed by the second FI/Bank.

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Whilst I'm at exported reports, is there any way to just have a list of transactions, without any subtotal ? I would like to be able to post-process in Excel with PivotTable and subtotals get in the way.

Am I missing something obvious?

Yes indeed. With the caveat this will export all (or selected) transactions from the register. Reports allow to fine tune the list of transactions to export, which is what I'm needing currently. And not withstanding the issues that I'm currently encountering with UTF-8/ASCII CSV export.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

@marcus, I was changing the date in the register. This is a manual loan with a detailed reminder (so linked to an account). But...

... I cannot reproduce this either ! Weird, because I had such an unattached transaction in my register and had to recreate the linked transaction manually. It looks as if something has changed in that part of the code (for the better !).

PS. I was NOT changing the date of the transaction in the Edit Loan Terms wizard, because the loan was paid in full to make a purchase at a date earlier than it started amortizing. Weird I know coming from a bank, but the reality.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

I just came across the following bug:

1. All transactions, type something in the search box.
    2. Preferences, change transactions display from Short to Long.
    3. Go back to All transactions. The display has been updated and most transactions show a Long category, but some do not.
    Sorry this was unclear. The categories that did not show in full were NOT top-level, but 3-level deep categories. Here is an actual screenshot.

When trying to reproduce this, I could not at first, then had the idea to scroll up and... bingo ! level-3 categories that had been obscured were (still) showing as top-level categories.

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

For a loan already in place, how can I:

1. change the Interest category, and
    2. set a category for the Principal (it was set as a Transfer by the loan wizard)
    for future transactions?

The obvious place to go is the Scheduled Transaction for the loan, but it is greyed out and cannot be changed.

A backup solution is the Loan/Edit Payment Terms wizard. But it allows to do 1. only, not 2.
    I'm surprised no one knows how to do this ! Surely, there must be some magic somewhere...
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Reports > New Report, a search bar to filter transactions would be most useful.

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Reports > New Report > Customize > Categories, then:
    1. Select: None
    2. Then, progressively select all top level categories, starting from the top and progressing towards the bottom
    3. Each time, selecting a top-level category will automatically select ALL of its children
    4. EXCEPT that, at some point, ONLY SOME children will be selected
    5. WORSE, some categories somewhere up or down the list will be SELECTED/UNSELECTED as a side effect
    6. It looks like QM goes out of sync between the list on screen and list in memory
    Example, clicking once on Vacation:

Clicking again on Vacation:

Clicking a third time on Vacation:

(For some reason, QM doesn't like me spending money on vacations. It must prefer that I spend additional money on QM itself.)
This discussion has been closed.