Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.4 and Other 5.5.x Releases

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Awesome.  It works!  Many thanks although I wish Quicken would fix so we could use graph view.  For the time being. . .   thanks again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Is anything being done to speed up the slow loading issue?

Marcus, its happening on each first launch of the day, very slow almost like 1 minute to startup, then on each subsequent start it only takes seconds. I'm using a new Imac 27 with 40Gig of ram and running the latest Sierra 10.12.6
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

This has been reported under new release V5.5.4 .Will add here for further emphasis. After uploading V5.5.4 I now observe an investment section in the pie chart. The investment pie section contains bond accrued interest & stock dividends. 

I would like to comment on Concordman's post above on stock dividends being zero net income - I think he may mean zero net cash (and not income).  A reinvested dividend or stock dividend are real income as far as the CRA (or IRS) is concerned - they are just paid in the form of securities vs. cash.  Those securities could be sold at any time for real incremental value.  The question then becomes - are the income and spending charts in QM meant to show a cash view or a complete income/expense view?  Perhaps the product could become more explicit as to the intent - or add appropriate views (or view options) to show both income/expense views and cash views. In my case, I would rather see complete income/expense views, but others may have different needs.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am still getting the spinning ball when trying to enter investment transactions, it takes almost 5 mins just to enter one transaction.  please help
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

@Marcus, has anyone given any thought to a one line separation in the PV when using Group by  Type option? 

Thanks.  I think I understand what you're saying but it doesn't look compressed to me so it's possible there's a bug in what you're seeing.  Would it be possible to take a screenshot?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018
    Options

This has been reported under new release V5.5.4 .Will add here for further emphasis. After uploading V5.5.4 I now observe an investment section in the pie chart. The investment pie section contains bond accrued interest & stock dividends. 

s2kdriver thanks for confirming this was the right thing to do for reporting.  Concordman definitely has a point about the spending wheel being something a little different.  Concordman, I was sort of thinking the same thing that maybe the spending wheel should only include banking accounts and not investments or at least add the option for people to pick what they want.  In fact, I'm actually surprised investments are being included.  I think this may have been an unintended consequence of changing the default elsewhere in the product. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options

@Marcus, has anyone given any thought to a one line separation in the PV when using Group by  Type option? 

I'm not seeing it either. I have alternately shaded lines evenly spaced. The type groups are outdented with a disclosure triangle that can be expanded or collapsed. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Can you try turning off Automatic Downloading of Quotes in Preferences and see if that makes a difference?  We are working on performance and in fact, have found that quote downloads at launch are slowing things down a lot.  If anyone sees a beach ball after they launch, try turning off the quote download.  This affects people who have lots of securities over the course of many years.  We have fixed this in 5.6 which will be our next major release.  Another feature we're adding is that Quicken will maintain a list of your held securities and will only download only those to keep things speedy.  You can turn this off and choose which securities to download manually but I think keeping things automatic will be a nice option.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018
    Options

I am having this problem loading brokerage accounts mostly.   VERY SLOW.  Never happened with Quicken 2017.  You have a whole thread on this slowness in the Community page.  What is UP???   Please get this fixed.  Makes me pretty uphappy with Quicken at this point.

Are you talking about Investment Transactions or Portfolio View?  5.5.4 should have fixed the slow Transaction View issue.  The problem is that the Chart was still being drawn when you were on the Transaction View even though it wasn't visible which slowed things down.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

Hi Marcus, I believe there is still a bug in the Specify Lots feature.  I mentioned this in a previous thread, but now have some grabs from 5.5.4 to better illustrate the problem.  Future transactions somehow influence the shares "Available to Sell" in previous transactions.  See attached screen shots.  In addition, I am putting in a plug for an "ACB" Specify Lots preset for Canadian users...

You are right.  We're working on this now.  When I mentioned we most likely would have a 5.5.5, this is what I was thinking would go in it.  As you say, it's really a timing issue.  To work around it, remove the future transaction by changing the security temporarily and then the lots should work correctly.  In any case, we are working on it but it's a complicated issue.  The last remaining case the developer is working through is what happens when you have 2 sales for the same security on the same day.  Which one affects the lots first, etc. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018
    Options
    David said:

I am still getting the spinning ball when trying to enter investment transactions, it takes almost 5 mins just to enter one transaction.  please help

5.5.4 should have fixed it.  Are you using 5.5.4?  The graph suggestion by RickO would also work but it would be good to know if for some reason people are still seeing the issue in the latest release.  I'll take a look to make sure the fix made it into 5.5.4 and if not we'll get it into 5.5.5.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018
    Options
    David said:

Ugh! I just checked and that investment performance fix didn't make it into 5.5.4 like I was told.  I just personally put it into 5.5.5 myself to make sure it gets in. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options

Marcus will this be fixed in 5.5?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    David said:

If so, you may want to eventually update the Release Notes above and the main link...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018
    Options

No this won't be changed for 5.5.x.  5.5.x is working as designed.  In other words, this isn't a bug.  If I remove investment accounts from the pie chart, are people going to complain that investments were removed? If you want an option, I'm not sure where we would put it.  That code is very old and not easy to update. I haven't decided what the right behavior should be for everyone yet.  I need to do a little more investigation and then decide what we should do.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018
    Options

I am having this problem loading brokerage accounts mostly.   VERY SLOW.  Never happened with Quicken 2017.  You have a whole thread on this slowness in the Community page.  What is UP???   Please get this fixed.  Makes me pretty uphappy with Quicken at this point.

Sorry, this wasn't actually fixed in 5.5.4 as I thought.  It will be in 5.5.5.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2018
    Options
    David said:

Thanks. I updated the above text.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jim said:

Marcus, I have already turned off the auto download of quotes with it not helping at all. I have also closed all of the graphs in investments too. Still no help. Any other ideas and i'll be happy to try them.

BTW: not sure why  but I don't get any e-mail notification on your posts here, even though I have all the boxes checked in my profile.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Re-Posting my question here in hopes that my download bank transactions has something to do wiht the fixes you reference in 5.5.4 info above.  (I am running 5.5.4.)  Thanks.

Mac running latest MacOS 10.13.3.  Quicken for Mac Starter 2018 Version: 5.5.4 (Build 55.21598.100)]

Since the Quicken update approximately 5.5.x, Quicken will not download Bank of America credit card transactions without going into settings and Deactivating Downloads, re-establishing a new setup including all password control and authentication, then refreshing the bank list and letting it start all over.  If you do not take these steps each time you select the "update all accounts circle, or choose "update selected online account" in the  Accounts menu, the circle spins for 10 seconds and nothing happens.  If you choose update selected online account, five minutes go by and then an error box appears which simply says: "An error occurred during your online banking update.  This window has been opened to show you your Quicken account status.  Additional information: HTTP(null)"

Quicken help desk shared the screen with me and tried to resolve the issue but the agent indicated that something may be going on with Bank of America.

B of A apparently requires Quicken to use "Quicken Connect" as the connection protocol rather than "Quicken Direct" although I have tried to make them both work.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to make things run smoothly again (after over five years of connecting instantly without a hitch.)?

Thanks for your ideas
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options

Marcus, if the drop down menu can be activated to show just banking & credit card data for the spending wheel that would resolve the issue at least for my needs. I am wondering if this change brought on as a result of 5.5.4 is an issue for others besides yours truly
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    David said:

I updated to 5.5.4 as soon as it was announced
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

Hi Marcus, I believe there is still a bug in the Specify Lots feature.  I mentioned this in a previous thread, but now have some grabs from 5.5.4 to better illustrate the problem.  Future transactions somehow influence the shares "Available to Sell" in previous transactions.  See attached screen shots.  In addition, I am putting in a plug for an "ACB" Specify Lots preset for Canadian users...

Hi Marcus.  Thanks for looking into this.  All I can suggest re multiple sales on the same day is to use the register order of the transactions to influence the lot calculations.  That seems most logical to me.  Any thoughts on my idea for an ACB or Average Cost preset to help Canadians follow CRA rules re cost basis?  Unfortunately we can't use FIFO or LIFO.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options
    David said:

When will the release notes be viewable for 5.5.5 ?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options
    David said:

@Concordman, 5.5.5 isn't out yet; it's still in development or testing. (The comments above this reflect Marcus saying what will be in 5.5.5 when it is released.) Marcus typically posts the release notes when a new update is released, not before.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • moski
    moski Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Marcus, I uncovered a new bug in how Comparison reports work when the two date ranges being selected have an overlap. I started a thread about it here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/comparison-chart-errors-data-left-out?utm_source...

I hope that link works, but in case it doesn't here are my original posts on this:

Initial: In Quicken Deluxe Mac 2018, I was creating a comparison chart to show current monthly Income vs. Expense compared to current year.  In the time period selection box when Customizing a report, the top dropdown says "Date Range" and the second one says "Compare To".  So naturally, I chose This Month as the first and This Year as the second. The date ranges next to each selection modified themselves correctly. But when I run this report it does two things. First, it puts the Year first and the Month second, which doesn't make any sense. Whatever is the first date range should be the first column in the report. But the more nefarious problem is that for some reason, in this configuration it totally ignores any data for the month. That column is all zeroes!  It's like the data doesn't exist. It does show data in the Year column, but this data is wrong because it's not including any of the data from the current month.  When I swap the Date Range and Compare To variables, to show This Year first and This Month second, then the monthly data does show up in the left column, the Yearly in the right, all the data seems to be there and it all adds up. I created a spreadsheet showing those differences...there's no place to attach that spreadsheet here but if the Quicken folks would like to see this I can send it along. It is a repeatable error.  So there is a workaround, but the behavior for this report is all hosed up.

First Follow Up: I've been studying this some more and I think I understand how their calculations are working. It appears that whatever appears in the left column is subtracted from the right column.  I tested this by playing around with using This Month vs. Month to Date in the left column (the lower date range selection). When This Month is selected, any future-dated transactions are included in the left column and that number is bigger.  When Month to Date is selected, these future transactions are removed from the left column but are now added in the right column.  This would also explain why when Year is in the left column, the right column is empty because obviously all those transactions would be subtracted from the right column.  

This means that actually, what I thought was a workaround isn't, as I'm not getting the comparison I was actually looking for.  I wanted something that I had in Quicken Mac 2007, which was a simple report that showed an expense statement for the month compared to the year so I could generally see how things are doing.  This comparison report is either calculated incorrectly, or was designed for some other reason, although I can't fathom what that would be.

Another "feature" or "bug" that I discovered is that when you click on any of the values in the report to get a drill down, it actually doesn't show the same data as the report itself. At least in the Year (right) column, when you click on any value it will actually show all transactions for the year in that category, and yet the report will only show the subtracted amount as described above.

So it is still very difficult to get at the simple Month vs. Year income statement that I am trying to see, unless there's some other way to do this.  I would love to hear from Quicken about this.

Second Follow Up: One final note and then I'm done for the day on this. The error (or feature!) seems to only exist when the two date ranges overlap, or when one date range is a subset of the other.  I have another comparison report showing last year to this year and the problems don't show up. Which makes me think this is a bug that Quicken needs to iron out.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Is there an email address to send inquiries on security issues/vulnerabilities for Quicken Deluxe 2018 for Mac?
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options
    R Wils said:

Is there an email address to send inquiries on security issues/vulnerabilities for Quicken Deluxe 2018 for Mac?

No there is not. There is the menu Help > Report a Problem in Quicken, otherwise, you will need to contact Quicken Support.
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Since Quicken Deluxe for Mac 5.5.4 upgrade "Share Balance" column for individual securities is no longer calculating and displaying.  Here are the details.  I have an investment account that holds individual stocks.  I have the "Shares" column and the "Share Balance" columns displayed in the "Transaction" register view.  When a security is bought or sold the "Shares" column shows the number of shares purchased or sold.  The "Share Balance" column shows the new amount of total shares of that security I now own.  This has worked just fine until I upgraded to 5.5.4.  Since the upgrade the "Share Balance" column is blank.  The "Share Balance" data does display for all transactions that occurred BEFORE I upgraded to 5.5.4.  All transactions I download after the upgrade no longer calculate and display data in this column.  Is this a bug?  Is it a new feature?  Did I miss something in the upgrade release notes?  Anyone else seeing this issue?  I sure would like to get this data back!
    BTW a couple of my accounts (all at the same institution) show the current "Share Balance" in the column but most do not.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Options

Since Quicken Deluxe for Mac 5.5.4 upgrade "Share Balance" column for individual securities is no longer calculating and displaying.  Here are the details.  I have an investment account that holds individual stocks.  I have the "Shares" column and the "Share Balance" columns displayed in the "Transaction" register view.  When a security is bought or sold the "Shares" column shows the number of shares purchased or sold.  The "Share Balance" column shows the new amount of total shares of that security I now own.  This has worked just fine until I upgraded to 5.5.4.  Since the upgrade the "Share Balance" column is blank.  The "Share Balance" data does display for all transactions that occurred BEFORE I upgraded to 5.5.4.  All transactions I download after the upgrade no longer calculate and display data in this column.  Is this a bug?  Is it a new feature?  Did I miss something in the upgrade release notes?  Anyone else seeing this issue?  I sure would like to get this data back!
    BTW a couple of my accounts (all at the same institution) show the current "Share Balance" in the column but most do not.

I still see the Share Balance column populated. It only populates for transactions that affects share. So, for example, it is populated for Buy and Sell transactions, but not for Dividend Income transactions. That is to be expected.

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

FAQ: Posting a Screenshot
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options

Can we assume you have the share balance column selected so it shows in the register?
This discussion has been closed.