Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with Mojave (macOS 10.14)?

Options

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

I installed the latest Mojave Beta tonight on an external drive formatted with AFPS.  Quicken 2007 is now running exactly as it has been in High Sierra. The issues I had on earlier betas with Quicken not saving new transactions and downloaded quotes is fixed. 

I think you're over-complicating. Per Apple, the Mojave installer will format the drive it is installing on as APFS, irrespective of the disk type (HDD, SDD, or Fusion).

There are reasons why a user might want an external HFS+-formatted drive. Time Machine still requires HFS+. And if you're a Quicken 2007 user who really values having the automatic backup feature work, you still need an HFS+ drive.

If you want to have an HFS+ drive, you can get there by several routes. One is simply to have an external drive, and format it as HFS+. Paragon software makes an APFS to HFS+ converter utility. (I haven't ever used it, so I can't vouch for it.). You can also make a whole disk backup to an external drive with SuperDuper, start up from an external drive, format your internal drive as HFS+, and restore your whole-disk backup from SuperDuper -- but that seems like a ridiculous amount of work. (And there's no certainty that subsequent Mojave updates won't quietly convert your drive to APFS.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

I installed the latest Mojave Beta tonight on an external drive formatted with AFPS.  Quicken 2007 is now running exactly as it has been in High Sierra. The issues I had on earlier betas with Quicken not saving new transactions and downloaded quotes is fixed. 

Not over complicating anything...these are all the scenarios and details needed to navigate options, as people have many different configurations. My configuration happens to touch all 4 points (I have multiple internal and external drives). So far, you have, and the articles have, offered ways to address some of the scenarios. 

As per your reply, you are suggesting that Apple is confirming that the Mojave installer will convert any drive onto which it is installed, whether internal or external. This would cover point 1 (already confirmed) and 3. I have not seen the wording myself, so some objective confirmation would be good.

That still also leaves points 2 and 4 to confirm, as without that info, it is not possible to know if such as drastic work around as you have suggested is required.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    edited January 2019
    Options
    jlgg said:

I understand you may have multiple drives, but the issue here is about drives which have macOS Mojave installed. If you have external drives which are just data drives, with no OS, then they won't be converted to APFS. (To be certain, I'd just unplug them while installing Mojave; I'd do that with any OS install, regardless of this concern.) If you have external drives where you install the OS so they're bootable drives, then they will be converted to APFS as part of the installation of Mojave.

I guess I can't speak with certainty about the very unusual -- in modern Mac hardware terms -- secondary internal drive. I would think the Mojave installer wouldn't touch such a drive. To be safe, you could unmount it with Disk Utility prior to installing Mojave.

Sources of information on this subject include this ArsTechnica report on Mojave, which plainly states:
    Any Mac that wasn’t automatically switched to APFS last year will get switched when you upgrade to Mojave—even installing Mojave on an external HFS+ volume now converts it to APFS. This includes Macs with spinning hard drives (mostly older Macs, though some current iMacs and Mac Minis still ship with HDDs, weird as that is for top-shelf computers in 2018) and Fusion Drives. That’s good news for anyone with a Fusion Drive, since Apple implemented some APFS features specifically to benefit them.
    From Apple's support pages, here:

Are you about to install macOS High Sierra or later on the disk?
    If you need to erase your disk before installing High Sierra or later for the first time on that disk, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). During installation, the macOS installer decides whether to automatically convert to APFS—without erasing your files:
    • macOS Mojave: The installer converts from Mac OS Extended to APFS.
    • macOS High Sierra: The installer converts from Mac OS Extended to APFS only if the volume is on an SSD or other all-flash storage device. Fusion Drives and traditional hard disk drives (HDDs) aren't converted. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

Great. Thx for the extra confirming info. 

I am well aware of work-arounds to either avoid or force the situations one way or the other. Keep in mind that I am not just asking the questions for myself but for anyone reading/following this thread. I was simply using myself as an example, as I suspect there are others out there.

So, so far what we have for sure is confirmation for point 1 and 3 but still no confirmation regarding 2 and 4, with the work-around to simply unmount or disconnect those drives.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

Well, we can keep going around about this, but I believe it's pretty clear that the drive onto which you are installing the Mojave OS is converted to APFS, and other drives are not affected. Apple can't presume to know if you're going to use an external drive with an older Mac that doesn't support APFS, or plan to use it for Time Machine (which still requires HFS+). I have never read anything, under High Sierra or Mojave, which says installing the OS will change the format of other drives -- and for the aforementioned reasons, I'm sure this would have been discussed somewhere if the installer actually did change other drives at the same time as installing the new OS. So I'm bowing out of the conversation; I think the question has been answered.

(And since running Quicken 2007 still works, minus one minor feature, on Mojave... and since there are multiple ways to get back to HFS+ on a drive/partition other than the startup drive if need be... I don't think it's worth belaboring. If you disagree, I'm sure you'll carry on! ;) 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    jlgg said:

I believe in full disclosure so users can make informed decisions. 

You have supplied some good info but have not pointed out a single corroborating statement that confirms "... and other drives are not affected. "  AND Apple has many times made changes without warning to users. So I am not belabouring anything...I am simply documenting all possible scenarios without presumption.

So as such, unless you have other evidence, points 2 and 4 remain unconfirmed. 

• DonGoldberg
    DonGoldberg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Does Quicken for Mac 2007 run on macOS Mojave (10.14) released September 24, 2018....

I would like to hear your experience.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken Mac 2018 Premier download from cloud and app freezes.

QM 2018 Premier, when I try to update from the quicken cloud, I get the spinning ball, and the transactions do download, but the app will not disconnect from the update. I have to force quit the app to stop the spinning ball. I have updated to Mojave recently. There was no issue before Mojave update. Any ideas on a fix?
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    opt said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken Mac 2018 Premier download from cloud and app freezes.

QM 2018 Premier, when I try to update from the quicken cloud, I get the spinning ball, and the transactions do download, but the app will not disconnect from the update. I have to force quit the app to stop the spinning ball. I have updated to Mojave recently. There was no issue before Mojave update. Any ideas on a fix?

Incorrect merge, moving to new topic.

Please reference the new conversation here: QMac 2018 Premier Download from cloud and app freezes
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have tested it on Mojave and so far it seems to work fine except for the auto backup problem on APFS drives that also existed under High Sierra.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

I have tested it on Mojave and so far it seems to work fine except for the auto backup problem on APFS drives that also existed under High Sierra.

Yes, you can read all about that here:
    Is Quicken for Mac 2007 Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

• Ruth Hirsch
    Ruth Hirsch Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Might someone respond in simple english (ie for us non-tech folks)- will Quicken 2007 work with the final (not Beta) Mojave? Thanks!
  • Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have tried it on my MacBook Pro and my Mac Pro and so far it works just like it did in High Sierra, which is fine, except that auto-backups won't work.  I have seen other similar reports.  Hope this helps.
  • Ruth Hirsch
    Ruth Hirsch Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks Scott! So basically, if it works just like it did in High Sierra, that means that there's a message auto-backups won't work, though when I close the app it saves the new data. Right?
  • Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    That's right, Ruth.  Of course all of the transactions you enter are saved, but the auto-backup that makes a copy of your entire file doesn't work because of the new APFS disk format with Mojave.  However, you can just make a copy of the file yourself if you want to be sure you have a backup.

I tested QM2007 with Mojave pretty extensively on my spare machine before upgrading my main Mac where I use it (and have for a very long time).  But I think that after Mojave, it will no longer be possible due to more fundamental changes in the MacOS, so this is probably the last time it will work.  To carry on further will require the new Quicken, which in my opinion is not nearly as good as the old QM2007 (in fairness it is slowly improving...), but at least it will be sustainable for many years as opposed to now, when we all hold our breath every time a new MacOS comes out.  Good luck.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks Scott! So basically, if it works just like it did in High Sierra, that means that there's a message auto-backups won't work, though when I close the app it saves the new data. Right?

Ruth, yes, this is what a few people have reported. (One small correction to your question: "when I close the app it saves the new data. Right?" Actually, data in Quicken is saved each time you press Enter/Return to complete entering or editing a transaction.)

Of course, Quicken 2007 is no longer supported by Quicken, so the company does not testing and doesn't make any compatibility announcements. (And everyone using Quicken 2007 should be aware that it definitely will NOT work on the next version of macOS that comes out next September, due to changes Apple has clearly communicated.)
  • Ruth Hirsch
    Ruth Hirsch Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks again, Scott. I'm just hoping that before the new MacOS comes out that Quicken will have developed a better alternative. I bought the latest version and then sent it back within a day - Even though I don't use any of the online features, it didn't even seem to have the ability to easily convert other currencies by using the QuickMath function. A huge issue for me. Really appreciate your input!
  • Ruth Hirsch
    Ruth Hirsch Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks for this.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks again, Scott. I'm just hoping that before the new MacOS comes out that Quicken will have developed a better alternative. I bought the latest version and then sent it back within a day - Even though I don't use any of the online features, it didn't even seem to have the ability to easily convert other currencies by using the QuickMath function. A huge issue for me. Really appreciate your input!

I also very much want them to implement some equivalent to QuickMath in the modern Quicken Mac. I hope you'll take a second to click over to this idea thread and click the blue Vote button at the upper right to add your vote for this feature. the more people who vote, the higher the likelihood the developers will tackle it.

I'm not sure when you last tried the modern Quicken Mac, but they did implement enhanced multi-currency functionality in Quicken 2018. Here's a post which summarizes what is, and is not, implemented in supporting multiple currencies currently.
  • Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Ruth, you can be sure that Quicken won't develop any new product since their strategy is set.  However,  they are continuing to improve the new Quicken and I would suggest that you plan on transitioning to it at some point unless you want to keep your Mac stuck on Mojave forever.  Importing your QM2007 data file is easy, although I have had issues with it for investment transactions.  It is quite different in appearance, and still lacks some features that you are used to, but slowly I see them being added.  Switching to another program altogether isn't a good option, because importing old Quicken data into them can be risky, and most don't have the feature set of Quicken.  My strategy has been to buy the new Quicken and continue to try/learn/monitor it and then make the switch when the old QM2007 no longer runs on the MacOS.  In this way, you can be assured of many more years of use, and importantly, all of your data will be in one continuous record, which is a huge reason for using personal finance software anyways.  It's a little difficult, but eventually, as with many changes, you will eventually look back and be glad you made the change.  Good luck!
  • Ruth Hirsch
    Ruth Hirsch Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    This all makes sense. I've never figured out how to track investments with Quicken so all I use it for is to keep track of expenses and income. However, since many of my expenses are in different currencies (I live abroad yet still use the USD as my "main" currency in terms of inputting into Quicken) I would want it to at the very least be able to easily convert from shekels to dollars, and then to include every purchase, regardless of original currency in calculating the balance in each account as well as in monthly reports. Do you know if this is possible in the new version? (Or perhaps I should move this question to another page?) I very much appreciate your input!
  • Ruth Hirsch
    Ruth Hirsch Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

I went ahead and clicked on the blue vote button and also read the post that summarized the multi-currency function. Am not clear how it works though if "foreign" purchases are not included in totals. For my needs, it really doesn't matter what currency the expenses are make in (ie shekels, euro, pounds, USD) but I'd like them all to show up in the registers as USD so that the totals will reflect all of them. Does this make sense?
  • Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I've never used the foreign currency part, but understand the need having lived in the UK for a long time.  Others can surely fill you in on that feature.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

NO version of Quicken for Mac has ever supported multi-currency. So whatever you are doing to track transactions in foreign currencies, you can still do in the current version. 

Though the current Mac version allows recording the exchange rate for a transaction, whatever currency the transaction is recorded in is the amount that will show up in reports, investments, etc. It will not converted the transactions to the home currency at the moment. So you will have to make manual adjustments to have all foreign currency transactions reflected in your home currency, just like you may have always done.

HTH

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

This all makes sense. I've never figured out how to track investments with Quicken so all I use it for is to keep track of expenses and income. However, since many of my expenses are in different currencies (I live abroad yet still use the USD as my "main" currency in terms of inputting into Quicken) I would want it to at the very least be able to easily convert from shekels to dollars, and then to include every purchase, regardless of original currency in calculating the balance in each account as well as in monthly reports. Do you know if this is possible in the new version? (Or perhaps I should move this question to another page?) I very much appreciate your input!

And yes, this is getting off topic...If you need more help on this or other topics, please do start another thread. ;-)

• Ruth Hirsch
    Ruth Hirsch Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

Actually, what I've been doing for years now is using quick math to do the exchange so that all amounts show up in usd. i.e. if I input 20 £  and I've set up quickmath with the latest exchange rate, I can simply input 20p and it is automatically converted to USD. Does the latest version have quickmath or another way to similarly easily convert to the home currency?
  • Ruth Hirsch
    Ruth Hirsch Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

You're right. Will do. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have the current iMac with a flash 1TB APFS formatted internal drive and an external HDD where I keep my time machine and video files ( as well as my Quicken file). I am running Mojave 10.14 . EVERYTHING WORKS! The next system upgrade will surely kill QM2007 because it will only run 64bit programs (QM2007 is 32bit and Mojave gives me a warning ever so often to update the program)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

Only manually... just type the amount then * then the exchange rate. No shortcut unless you use some third party utility to mimic QuickMath.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    since several have hijacked this post for their own issues... has anyone other the Mr Kruer  installed Mojave 10.14 and found Quicken 7 still functional?

Hello Mr Mayer??
    smayer97 (QM2007, CDN user since '92)

This discussion has been closed.