Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with Mojave (macOS 10.14)?

Options

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

BTW, QM2007 cannot handle file names longer than 32 chars, including the 5 char extension (.qdfm). I have not examined your situation closely but you need to make sure this is not a factor. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

What is your trigger?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

BTW, QM2007 cannot handle file names longer than 32 chars, including the 5 char extension (.qdfm). I have not examined your situation closely but you need to make sure this is not a factor. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

It's not automatic - you need to go Finder/Services to initiate, but it's still easier than manually copying the file straight in the Finder.  Cheers!
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

jacobs, do you expect the Quicken team to announce in some fashion when they think they've incorporated all the (important?)  features of QM2007 that are still missing from "new" Quicken?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Options

It's an interesting question, but my guess would be no -- for a few reasons. Most importantly, they will probably never replicate 100% of the functionality of Quicken 2007. They're aiming to get pretty close, but I expect there are some small things they just never aim to tackle, and perhaps that people don't even care about any longer. Some things just work differently in the new version -- not necessarily worse, but different -- yet some user will say they want the option to do it the old way, and they just aren't going to do it if isn't a widespread user concern. (Just to pick a rather trivial example, there was a Move Transaction command in Quicken 2007 to move a transaction from one account to another. In the modern Quicken, there's no such command, because you can move transactions by simply dragging them into another account int he sidebar. I'm guessing they have no plans to ever add a Move Transaction command, because the modern way of doing it is arguably better, o at least not worse. Yet somewhere out in the user community, there's probably someone who would say the modern Quicken lacks functionality compared to the old Quicken because there's no command to move a transaction.) So they'll never get to 100%. Yet if they proclaim "we're done!" someone will come out and shoot them with an arrow because there's something that isn't done.

And then there are things that are options some users may desire, but aren't absolutely necessary to use the program for the majority of users. Take, for example, the idea of creating a two-line register display like Quicken 2007. Almost no software has the same user interface today that it had 20+ years ago, and the program is usable with the current one-line display -- but for users who are on a small laptop or who like to have two full windows open side-by-side, it's not as easy to use. Some find it manageable but frustrating; others might consider this issue a "show-stopper" that blocks them from upgrading. Will Quicken add this functionality? Perhaps. According to the program manager, it's a significant programming task, because the current transaction register lists are the result of using a lot of built-in functionality in macOS, while creating a two-line display would require much more complex coding from scratch. So this seems somewhat farther down the list of possible enhancements compared to things you simply cannot do in modern Quicken today, and we just don't know when, or if, they will decide this need rises to the top to receive development time.

In reality, software like this is never "done"; it progresses along a continuum, and it's not clear when they can say they've implemented "most" of the features of Quicken 2007. Is it when they're at 95% of Quicken 2007 features? 97%? 99%? I'd guess they don't even have a complete list of specific Quicken 2007 features; more likely, they have lists of features they and users want to add which are periodically re-prioritized based on a variety of factors.

The other problem is that what's missing to one person is irrelevant or unimportant to another, and visa versa. You might be hung up by the inability to do certain Quicken 2007 reports, while I might say the reports are good enough for my needs. And I might say I can't stand the absence of QuickMath, and you might say you never used it and don't care. So "done" or "done enough" is relative for each user. So what I think they'll continue to do is work on new features they know users want, and roll them out as soon as they're able. And longtime Quicken 2007 users who have yet to make the switch will just need to check in from time to time to see if they still have "show-stopper" issues that truly prevent them from upgrading.

I've been actively involved in testing the modern Quicken Mac since its first beta versions more than four and a half years ago, but I continue to use Quicken 2007. I've recently decided I'm going to make the switch this winter; I'm increasingly having problems with Quicken 2007 database corruption and my transaction file completely filling up, and my list of objections to the modern Quicken has been shrinking. There are still a few key things I will sorely miss from Quicken 2007, and I hope they'll come soon to the new program, but I think I can now reasonably make the switch. I understand that some Quicken 2007 users are still holding out for one or more key features before they'll feel able to switch, as each of our needs are different.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks.  That's a very well written discussion of the issue and I'm guessing if I had the experience with "new" Quicken you do I'd have written something similar.  It is probably time to dive in and see what the water's like.  I had hoped to be able to postpone that until after this tax season, but may not be able to.  Our stock broker, with our blessing, just split an investment account that had been a single "managed account" (an outside service manages all the buys and sells) into two accounts, by taking about a third of what was in it and handing that over to another manager (with different goals.)  That involves selling a third of each of 22 securities and buying 77 almost entirely new securities.  When we're done with that our Quicken 2007 will be handling nearly 200 stocks and mutual funds, in three different accounts.  I have no idea if it's going to be up to the task!  Usually entering the buys and sells and dividends on a day-by-day basis is not much of a burden, but so many all at once is quite a task.  (I don't trust downloading transactions from our financial institutions since I have no idea what's going on, so we do it all manually.)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

To help you in that decision making and be sure to understand if it will meet your needs, you can read a lot more about the differences here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-or-qm2007

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Jill15
    Jill15 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options

I'm running QM 2018 5.6.3 (Build 56.22447.100) and recently installed Mac OS Mojave 10.14 Beta (18A314k) on a late 2014 Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i5. The root drive was converted to APFS but 3 external Seagate USB drives (media, backup & spare) were left alone in HFS+. The media drive was mounted in the upgrade (presumably because of iTunes & Photos libraries) but the backup and spare drives were left unmounted. I just mounted them both and am doing a backup so it looks like everything is functional for me.  

Quicken will not backup my files with the new Mojave version. I have Quicken 2017
  • jacobs
    edited November 2018
    Options

I'm running QM 2018 5.6.3 (Build 56.22447.100) and recently installed Mac OS Mojave 10.14 Beta (18A314k) on a late 2014 Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i5. The root drive was converted to APFS but 3 external Seagate USB drives (media, backup & spare) were left alone in HFS+. The media drive was mounted in the upgrade (presumably because of iTunes & Photos libraries) but the backup and spare drives were left unmounted. I just mounted them both and am doing a backup so it looks like everything is functional for me.  

@Jill15, since your problem is about a very different product (Quicken 2017), I'd suggest you start a new thread (click New Post at the top of the page) about your problem. There should be no problem backing up files for Quicken 2017 on Mojave. (One quick thing: have you checked Quicken Preferences and made sure that the option to automatically backup fore file is checked.)
  • Jill15
    Jill15 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options

It will not do it automatically because I have Mojave. That is what the message said
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options

Are you sure you have QM2017? This thread is about QM2007...

If you truly have QM2017, I would contact Quicken Support as this should not be an issue.
    https://www.quicken.com/contact-support

There are also 2 more official Quicken #'s:
    Though they no longer publish it, the same old toll-free number they have always had is still valid for non-premium memberships: 1-888-311-7276
    For premium memberships, you have to look up the number in your Quicken.com account. This will give you front-of-the-line service (using same reps).

Also note that legitimate phone support is only available Mon-Fri 5am to 5 pm Pacific time. Chat is available 24x7.

• jacobs
    edited November 2018
    Options

Jill, could you please clarify if you have Quicken 2017 (what you typed) or Quicken 2007 (which can't do automatic backups on Mojave). Based on your answer, we can direct you in the right direction.
  • Jill15
    Jill15 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options

Sorry, I have Quicken 2007
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options

Your options are:
    1. turn off automatic backups in QM2007, and rely on manual backups or other software to perform backups, .e.g. Time Machine,
    2. get or create a HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) drive/partition and store both the active file and backups on that drive/partition.
    for 1. open Preferences in QM2007 a unselect automatic backups:

for 2. get an external drive and format it as HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) if it is not already, using Apple Disk Utility OR create a HFS+ partition on your existing drive using the same tool.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Okay.... think I am really late in the game here... been using Quicken 2007 for a long time and really want to stay with it... comfortable and fluid... so how do those of who like this version figure to continue in a year?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Okay.... think I am really late in the game here... been using Quicken 2007 for a long time and really want to stay with it... comfortable and fluid... so how do those of who like this version figure to continue in a year?

2 options...
    1. Do not upgrade macOS to the next version if/when it stops supporting 32-bit software, as Apple has already announced (QM2007 is 32-bit)
    2. use a VM to run a version of macOS that is compatible with QM2007.
    Those are the only 2 viable choices.

• jacobs
    edited December 2018
    Options

Stephen, @smayer97 has essentially answered the question simply enough above. (I'd possibly add a "1a" option, if you have an aging Mac: keep your current Mac, running whatever macOS you use today, as a machine just for Quicken, as you replace your Mac with a new model for all you other work.)

To expand on the don't-upgrade-your-macOS option, ask yourself if you have a compelling reason to upgrade your macOS when Apple release a new one. I've been a Mac user since the earliest days, have several Macs at home and manage 70 Macs at work -- and I rarely have any of them on a new macOS when it's released, and I often lag up to a year or even more behind in upgrading the OS on all of them. These days, each annual release tends to be mostly incremental and the new features are not, for me or my work, mission critical. So, again for me, it's easy to not rush to install Apple's newest OS. You may use your Mac differently and have reasons you want to or need to upgrade, but if not, the easiest answer to your question is to stick with macOS Mojave and to not upgrade to whatever comes next. That strategy can likely buy you a few more years before other software and browser compatibility problems might begin to cause you problems, or before you need to replace your Mac and be forced to run a newer OS.

Now, if we could look into a future a year, two years, three years and tell whether the new Quicken Mac will be substantially similar enough to Quicken 2007 to be a suitable replacement, then standing pat could be a good strategy. Conversely, if we could look that far ahead and find the modern Quicken Mac still having significant holes as a replacement for Quicken 2007, then the best strategy would probably be to look for an alternative now and build a new future with whatever product that might be. Of course, we can't see the future and know which course would be the best today, which is why wait-and-see still makes sense.

Many, many  longtime Quicken 2007 users have already made the switch to the modern Quicken and find it somewhere on a scale between tolerable and excellent. A smaller number of Quicken 2007 users are still holding on (and I've been in this group), waiting for one or more key features to come to the modern version -- and having the hope that it will, eventually, get where it needs to be.

And like all things Quicken, there won't be a universal answer for everyone; the developers will never replicate 100% of the functionality of Quicken 2007, because in some cases they have deemed their new way better (or at least an equal alternative), and in some cases they have deemed an old feature too inconsequential to spend time building. So while many of us longtime Quicken Mac users will hopefully find the new Quicken good enough for our needs in a year to two, if not today, I'm sure there will be a few users who will not.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Of course, if you use QM2007 for taxes with TurboTax or some other tax software, in the future, that tax software might require to be run on the later 64 bit Mac OS software.  Then what do you do.  I have found that by clicking on “share balance” in the column icon in the investment section of the latest Quicken for Mac software, that I can show the accumulated reinvested dividends, and that has finally shown me that the new Quicken for Mac software software is a satisfactory replacement for QM2007, at least for me.
    LeRoy E. Ostrus
    Erie, Colorado
    [personal contact info removed]
  • jacobs
    edited December 2018
    Options

LeRoy, you make an important point. When you read comments on this forum, you tend to see the worst: the problems people are having, the shortcomings they find. And while those may be legitimate problems and shortcomings for some, they don't affect everyone. In fact, many, many people have moved to the current Quicken for Mac and found it meets their needs. But most of the satisfied customers aren't posting here, so one can get an unbalanced negative view from reading this site.

For that reason, I always encourage anyone pondering whether to make the leap forward from Quicken 2007 to try it and see how it works for them. You can purchase Quicken 2019 and get a full refund within 30 days of purchase if you decide it doesn't meet your needs. What's good enough for one person is inadequate for another, and none of us here can tell anyone reading this how well, or poorly, they'll find Quicken 2019 works for their particular needs and usage.

P.S. It's best not to post your snail mail address or email address on this site, lest scammers or spammers who unfortunately frequent this site try to use it; your street address and email address were removed from your post above for your safety.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

BTW, there is also a 2b... create a dual boot Mac (assuming your Mac still handle running Mojave or older) and reboot between them as needed. Not ideal but may be a stop-gap for some who are not inclined to install a VM.

• Jill15
    Jill15 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

What is VM?
  • jacobs
    edited December 2018
    Options

“VM” is short for “virtual machine”, which is software that allows a computer to run one or more alternate operating systems as an application under the native operating system. A typical example is a Mac user who need to run one or more Windows applications; “virtual machine” software running on the Mac can provide a Windows environment to run Windows apps. You need the VM software, which may be free or paid, and a Windows license to install (which in some cases can be bundled with the purchase of the VM software). Some VM software allows you wide latitude over the choice of operating environments you can create, so one can have a Mac running a VM with another version of the Mac operating system.
  • Jill15
    Jill15 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thank you very much. I think that will help me with another problem. I own a business and I need to access their computer but they don't have Apple. I need Log me In but it doesn't work with my Mac.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2018
    Options

Log Me In requires macOS Yosemite (10.10) or later. Does that mean you're using an earlier macOS than Yosemite? If so, you might have a problem trying to use remote access or VM software.

Teamviewer (another remote login software package similar to Log Me In) requires macOS El Capitan (10.11) or later. The virtual machine program Parallels currently requires macOS El Capitan (10.11) or later; another virtual machine program, VMware Fusion requires Sierra (10.12) or later. You may be able to find older unsupported versions of these programs which can run on an older macOS. (Once you have the VM software installed, you can generally deploy an older operating system inside the VM, but it's often hard to go the other way: have a VM program on older operating system running a newer OS within the VM. It may be possible, but you might run into issues.) I'd also make a general comment that setting up a VM and installing an operating system within it generally isn't extremely difficult, but it does require at least a modest amount of tech savvy.

To make sure this advice doesn't steer you in a wrong direction, can you post what version of macOS are you running, and what model Mac? Go to About This Mac on the Apple menu and report the operating system (shown at the top) the model of Mac which appears next (like "MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2010)") and the amount of Memory (probably 4 GB or 8 GB). And if Quicken is part of what you're trying to figure out, also include what version of Quicken are you running.
  • Jill15
    Jill15 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Mac OD Mojave 10.14.12
  • Jill15
    Jill15 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Sorry...OS
  • jacobs
    edited December 2018
    Options

So why do you say Log Me In doesn't work for your Mac? It should. Perhaps it's a configuration problem with that software, or between your Mac and the Windows computer you're trying to connect to. I don't use Log Me In personally, so I can't offer any troubleshooting help with it, but I don't see why that wouldn't work on your Mac.
  • Jill15
    Jill15 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks so much for all your help! I wish I had your knowledge! Someone told me that Mac wouldn't work with Windows for Log Me in.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2018
    Options

If I had a nickel for every time someone told me something couldn't be done on a Mac, I'd... maybe have enough to buy one share of Apple stock. ;)

Here's a link to info on how Log Me In works, and how to install and connect with it. Good luck.
  • Jill15
    Jill15 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thank u do much. U r very kind!
  • MGM0
    MGM0 Member ✭✭
    Options
    O.K. from this conversion as of April 2019, Quicken 2007 will function with MAC OS Mojave.. Except for the auto backup.  I have been using 2007 and 2019 Quicken on my MAC  using OS 10.13.06 ... I really like some of the features  in 07 ... any other problems please let me know as i will be purchasing a new MAC soon.  Not sure how long Quicken 2007 will last...
This discussion has been closed.