Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with Mojave (macOS 10.14)?

1235»

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @MGM0 Quicken 2007 should continue to work as long as you commit to not advancing your macOS beyond the current Mojave. It will definitely not work on the next macOS Apple will rolls out this fall -- so you should buy your new Mac before the fall when Apple starts shipping Macs with macOS 10.15. As long as you're okay with not advancing your macOS, and with lack of support for online services (downloading/importing), and the lack of automatic backups, you should be able to continue using Quicken 2007.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MGM0
    MGM0 Member ✭✭
    When you say downloading and importing... currently 2007 under OS 10.13.6 lets me import my transactions from my bank... Can i still do this with OS 10.14??  This is a feature that is absent with Quicken 2019... Yes.. 2019 downloads transactions BUT dumps them into the accounts... 2007 lists them for you..I can see and clear what i want.   again... can i do everything that i am doing now (except auto backups) with Mojave?  transactions from bank? gone???   
    Thanks in advance

MGM0
  • jacobs
    I said "with lack of support for online services", and by that I mean that there is no certainty what will continue to work, or for how long. It's remarkable to me that any downloads continue to work at this time. Some financial institutions have turned off connectivity for Quicken 2007, so it's great that it works for you today -- but you should go forward knowing that downloads could just stop unexpectedly one day. As long as you're aware you're on borrowed time, then carry on.

Of course, Quicken 2019 does import transactions, and there are ways you can easily sort by the status of transactions so you can isolate the ones most recently downloaded
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a time when Quicken had a statement that said that downloading to QM2007 would continue to work as long as the FI/Bank supports it, implying that Quicken would not be the ones to interfere with that, with no caveats. The statement was taken down a little over a year ago, so who knows.

As for continuing to use QM2007 for its features beyond that, it will continue to work with Mojave (except auto-backups; all others work fine). If QM2007 stops working on the next version of macOS (as announced) then the alternative would be to run QM2007 in a VM running Mojave or older. VirtualBox is free but there are also other paid products too (Parallels and VM Fusion for example).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• MGM0
    MGM0 Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the answers... Currently I still using both ... for now... Thanks again for the warning about the transactions.. 
  • hawkboyblue@
    hawkboyblue@ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Has anyone here tried VMware Fusion yet to work with Quicken 2007?  I've just downloaded it and am going to try it out next week...would love to hear if anyone has had luck with it.  Also, does anyone here use Quicken for Windows in VM Fusion?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen anyone share if they have. I plan to eventually do the same, so please do share your results. When you do, please share your experience here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7853691/share-your-experience-running-qm2007-in-a-virtual-machine-vm

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• alrizopa
    alrizopa Member ✭✭
    I used Quicken for 26 years holding on to Quicken 2007 (Mac) because I tried Quicken 2016 last year, but it didn't import my data properly.
    I am still in Mac OS X High Sierra (10.13.6).
    Earlier this week I went in to find several accounts had most or all their transactions wiped out, truncated. I carefully restored from the last good backup about a week prior, and carefully re-entered the latest transactions to get up to date. The truncation of transactions happened again! I might have hit some limit with the 32-bit Quicken 2007. So I had to move to Quicken 2019 and this time all my transactions in 85 accounts going back to 1993 migrated successfully.
    In my case, I ran into the Quicken 2007 problem after 11 years of using it, and *before I upgraded to Mojave.*
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you try re-indexing your QM2007 file?

• molly39
    molly39 Member
    referring to Ange: I too am so happy with QUicken 2007 (since its inception!). It has been working fine on High Sierra and I am so afraid to go to Mojave. I would have liked to upgrade my MAC, but cannot find a safe, sure way to do so without losing any of my data in the banking portion of Q 07. How do we find out if "they" (Quicken) ever accomplish a new version that incorporates all that Quicken 7 has? I don't understand why they never just put out a new Quicken 7 instead of new versions every year or so that do not let us transfer the old "7" data into their new versions. We need to upgrade our MACs every so often, but now we cannot do even that because we risk not being able to run Quicken 2007.
  • jacobs
    @marlenetein You're misunderstanding several things about Quicken Mac. First, the current Quicken Mac absolutely can import your Quicken 2007 data. There might be some "clean up" needed to get all your accounts perfectly in balance, since many of us longtime Quicken 2007 users have rounding errors or other minor corruptions which turn up during importing -- but many thousands of Quicken 2007 users have successfully migrated to the modern Quicken Mac.

As for why there's not a newer version of Quicken 2007, it's because that software is based on some very old software technology which couldn't continue to run on the modern Mac operating systems. The core database in Quicken 2007 is ancient and not nearly as reliable as the database in the modern Quicken Mac, the way it displays information on the screen uses technology Apple replaced a decade ago, and on and on. The simple fact is that the Quicken engineers determined in 2006 that they were at a dead end with the technology which had ably powers Quicken Mac for nearly two decades, and they needed to start fresh. There were some dead ends, stops and wrong turns along that path under former parent Intuit, but what we have today represents a complete re-write of Quicken Mac using current Apple technologies which will provide many future years of life. It's true that there are some features of Quicken 2007 which don't yet exist in Quicken 2019, but the developers as slowly chipping away at adding them. And for many users, Quicken 2019 is perfectly fine and usable as it stands today.

Last, you can always try Quicken 2019, import you data, get to know the program a bit, and see if it will meet your needs. You can get you money back within 30 days of purchase if you run into a deal-breaking problem. (During that time, you can continue to use Quicken 2007, as the data files and programs are completely separate.) But most Quicken Mac users make the leap forward and don't go back.
  • molly39
    molly39 Member
    1) at this point I would forego the investment portion of Quicken 2007 if I could keep the banking portion- the checking register in order to run reports for tax prep. If I went to Quicken 2019, would I be able to transfer everything for the past several years without losing any of my data, categories, etc. etc? I'm not worried about importing anything from Quicken and does Quicken 2019 run reports the same way? 2) How can one run both programs at the same time?
    3) what does quicken 2019 have that makes it better or equal to Q 2007?
    Thank you for taking the time to answer
    me. I am not all that computer savvy...I've learned what I need, so I am hoping I've learned enough for Q 2019 if necessary.
  • molly39
    molly39 Member
    forgot to add: when I do a back-up. I save it to a flash drive which I override the next time I do a back-up. would this be sufficient to transfer data from Q 07 to Q 19?
  • jacobs
    1) Quicken 2019 will import your Quicken 2007 data file -- all of it. This includes all your accounts with all their transactions, all your categories, etc. Saved reports do not carry over; those have to be re-created. Quicken 2019 reports are not yet as diverse as Quicken 2007 reports, but chances are if you need reports for tax purposes, the reports in Quicken 2019 will prove sufficient,.

2) What makes Quicken 2019 better or equal to Quicken 2007? This is actually a surprisingly subjective question, because we all use Quicken differently, so something that's important to you may be unimportant to me and visa versa. That said, I would say:
    • Quicken 2019 will run on current and future Mac operating systems, so it provides a safe path to the future.
    • Quicken 2019 imports Quicken 2007 data, so years and decades of data is maintained intact.
    • Quicken 2019 has a much more robust database that is not prone to some of the quirks/crashes/corruptions, nor the file size limits, some of us encounter with Quicken 2007.
    • This is highly subjective, and some longtime Quicken users would disagree, but after an adjustment period, I prefer the look and usability of the registers in Quicken 2019 better than the venerable two-line registers in Quicken 2007.
    There are other small things here and there, just as there are some things that Quicken 2007 did better than Quicken 2019. As I said, what is important in all of this varies from one Quicken user to another, and only you can determine what's important to you.

3) If you have Quicken 2007 and Quicken 2019 on the same computer, Quicken 2019 can import your Quicken 2007 data without affecting th eQuicken 2007 data file, and you can run both programs simultaneously if you wish -- which can be helpful after importing your data when you want to compare balances and make sure everything imported cleanly. If you have Quicken 2007 running an old Mac operating system that cannot run Quicken 2019 (Quicken 2019 requires macOS El Capitan, 10.11, or later), your Mac is capable of running a newer macOS version, you can update your macOS and Quicken 2007 will continue to run. If you have Quicken 2007 on an old Mac which cannot be upgraded to macOS 10.11 or later, then you will need to transfer your data to a new Mac; for Quicken, this can easily be done by using a flash drive with a copy of your Quicken 2007 data file. 
  • molly39
    molly39 Member
    thank you for being so helpful. I currently have High Sierra (just below Mojave, i think) on an iMAC I bought in 2015 so I think that will be ok . If upgrade to Mojave and if I install Q 19 then I should be ok for several more years I would think. Which should I do first, upgrade to Mojave or install Q 19?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    molly39 said:
    1) at this point I would forego the investment portion of Quicken 2007 if I could keep the banking portion- the checking register in order to run reports for tax prep. If I went to Quicken 2019, would I be able to transfer everything for the past several years without losing any of my data, categories, etc. etc? I'm not worried about importing anything from Quicken and does Quicken 2019 run reports the same way?
    2) How can one run both programs at the same time?3) what does quicken 2019 have that makes it better or equal to Q 2007?
    Thank you for taking the time to answer 
    me. I am not all that computer savvy...I've learned what I need, so I am hoping I've learned enough for Q 2019 if necessary.
    1) Data from QM2007 should import into subscription QMac. There may some quirks and some data clean-up afterward but most if not all data should migrate over. What will not carry over are reports. You will need to recreate them. BUT not all report formats exist or have all the same formatting capability that QM2007 has.

2) QM2007 will continue to run on macOS up to Mojave (10.14), just like on High Sierra (10.13). And since a new data file will be created when you migrate to sub-QMac, they can be run simultaneously side by side.

3) As for what sub-QMac can do better than QM2007, I would contend that there is not much that it can do that QM2007 cannot do. QMac can run on modern macOS into the future (whereas QM2007 will likely stop working with the next macOS), it can sync with online services like QMobile and QWeb, can save attachments, and it can access US & CAN Banks/FIs simultaneously. Beyond that, the rest is only that it does some things differently. 

Though sub-QMac uses a new database format (SQL) and theoretically it is supposed to be more robust, it does have its own quirks and can still experience database corruptions, so I am not convinced that it is hugely superior. If data corruption happens to you in sub-QMac, the theoretical benefits at that point make no difference. Not to say you will run into an issue; just setting expectations.

That said, based on your limited description of what you need, QMac may meet your needs. So you could give it the 30-day money-back guarantee trial and see if there are things in QM2007 that you still depend on that QMac does not have.

I suggest that you make sure that the subscription for Quicken for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010, then continued with QM2015 onward), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released as of  QM2017 v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Note that online access is supposed to continue for QM2007 as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

Add your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts, etc.

If you find that subscription to Quicken for Mac does not meet your needs, the alternative is to continue to run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.1Mojave (so far*), and if you need to upgrade your macOS beyond 10.14, the alternative would be to use a virtual machine; since you are not computer savvy, you may need some help for that). 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    molly39 said:
    thank you for being so helpful. I currently have High Sierra (just below Mojave, i think) on an iMAC I bought in 2015 so I think that will be ok . If upgrade to Mojave and if I install Q 19 then I should be ok for several more years I would think. Which should I do first, upgrade to Mojave or install Q 19?
    The order does not matter if you are simply upgrading to Mojave from High Sierra. 

This discussion has been closed.