Import security prices for multiple securities in Quicken for Mac 2019

hshs Member
edited November 14 in Investments (Mac)
I am currently using both Quicken for Mac 2007 and Quicken for Mac 2019 in parallel to see if there's finally a version I can move to and retire 2007.  The showstopper for me at the moment is security prices.

Most of my securities are non-US or pension funds and so require manual entry of prices.  Given 2007 is relatively clunky, I only update the prices every Saturday morning for Friday's closing price.  In 2007, I can open the Portfolio window, change the date to the day before and enter each security price, hitting return to move to the next one.  Two steps per security.

In 2019, it's hideously complex - open the Securities window, double click the security, click the Price History tab, tab to the date, change the date, tab another four times to the Closing Price, enter the price, hit return, click on Done.  Repeat for the next security.  Eight steps per security, including much mousing around.

I see there's another request to bring the former 2007 functionality back to the Portfolio view (at https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-manually-update-security-quotes-w...), for which I've voted, but I would like to see the ability to import multiple security prices for multiple securities at one time from a csv file.

It's trivially easy in the Windows version (see https://www.quicken.com/support/how-import-historical-security-data-quicken), but csv import in the Mac version is for individual securities only and about as time consuming as the manual process outlined above.

Please add this functionality to allow me finally to move off 2007.
Tagged:
4 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hello hs, appreciate your information.

I have switched this to an Idea so that others can vote on this request.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • BruceGBruceG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In Quicken for Mac 2019, when your in the Portfolio view you can click on the Security Name and then click "Edit Security". That take you directly to that security for editing. This is still not straight forward but it avoids the securities window.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Depending on whether you want to spend a little to solve this, you could get a macro tool like Keyboard Maestro ($36) and program all the keystrokes need to get to the price entry field as a single-key macro. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • hshs Member
    edited October 2018
    BruceG said:

In Quicken for Mac 2019, when your in the Portfolio view you can click on the Security Name and then click "Edit Security". That take you directly to that security for editing. This is still not straight forward but it avoids the securities window.

Actually, that's even worse.  At least in the securities window, you can double click on the security or open it for edit with Cmd-E.  Going straight from the Portfolio view requires a click, a mouse over to a new window and then another click.  Which is then followed by another eight steps.
  • hshs Member
    edited October 2018
    RickO said:

Depending on whether you want to spend a little to solve this, you could get a macro tool like Keyboard Maestro ($36) and program all the keystrokes need to get to the price entry field as a single-key macro. 

I think I'd rather not spend.  It's available for free in the Windows version.  Why should we pay extra for basic functionality for the Mac version?
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    RickO said:

Makes sense. I only mentioned it because I use KM for tons of stuff. I'm very keyboard focused and hate reaching for the mouse when I don't have too. So I've created many macros for Quicken and even more for other programs.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • > @hs said:
    > (Quote)
    > I think I'd rather not spend.  It's available for free in the Windows version.  Why should we pay extra for basic functionality for the Mac version?

You could work up an AppleScript to do all that – it's free with macOS. It would have to be using GUI Scripting (sadly Quicken is not scriptable) for which you need to grant permission. GUI Scripting can do anything in an application with commands like: click menu item "Pin Tab" of menu "Window" of menu bar 1