Make Bills & Income Screen Printable (Q Mac)

Options
heathered23
heathered23 Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Printing

I was disappointed to learn that you are not able to print the list of bills in the Bills & Income tab. A Quicken rep told me I could go to each "Pay From" account and print the grayed out transactions which are the upcoming bills. This is not a good solution for the following reasons:

• You have to go to each register that has bills
  • If you have bills that are payed quarterly or yearly they won't come up unless you print the register for the entire year going forward thereby duplicating monthly bills in the list.

It would be very helpful to be able to simply print the list of bills that is displayed in the Bills & Income section. 

Thank you.

16 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    all windows with lists should be printable...this should be standard across the board.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Agreed that this screen/list should be printable. This idea should not be archived. It might help others to find this topic if the title was edited from "Bills & Income Print Feature (Q Mac)" to something like "Make Bills & Income Screen Printable". [Title has been updated]
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Gilbert
    Gilbert Member
    Options
    I've been a Quicken user since the mid 90's, first with Quicken for Windows, Quicken Essentials for Mac since 2012 and now Quicken for Mac subscription. For the past several years I've been keeping track of scheduled ongoing transactions by building a "Numbers" spreadsheet. The redundancy of it really takes too much of my time to do on a regular basis. At first, I couldn't find a way to pull up my Scheduled Transactions list, like I used to be able to do in Essentials, until I did a little digging and discovered that I could do it by clicking on Bills & Income, go figure.

I'm just a little more than a novice with computer software, but it seems to me that providing a "Print" function for Bills & Income would be a very simple thing, provided there's a will to do so. Is it too much to ask for such a basic feature?
  • AF_NR
    AF_NR Member ✭✭
    Options
    This pandemic has increased the need for leaving a plan "roadmap" for the conduct of financial affairs.
    We have been Quicken users since the 1990s. First windows and now MAC.

We need the print option for "bill schedule - account list - category list and tag list" ... It was always an option in Quicken for Windows. My family wants to include these as printed and PDF reports in our legacy files for administrators. We believe it is unreasonable to expect your customers to re-create these lists manually. The inconvenience of the time it would take is not the biggest issue. The bigger issue is the likelyhood of data input errors.

We have found other requests of Quicken in multiple threads on this website to make this option to print "bill schedule - account list - category list and tag list" possible. We can only see that the "request" is put onto a list for consideration.

In all the years we have been Quicken users, we rarely look at the website for "assistance". Haven't needed to. Today we are trying to wrap up our legacy files for 2021 and printing lists was on the list. But look like it won't be possible. As a result, we will have to create the lists manually instead.

If this does not become an option soon, we will need not renew our subscription.
  • jacobs
    Options
    Yes, it would be helpful to be able to print certain auxiliary windows which currently don't have print options, and hopefully those features will be added in the future. Meanwhile, this doesn't sound like the type of issue to leave Quicken over, as there are work-arounds for some of these things. Not always elegant work-arounds, but if you consider how much work it would take you to switch from Quicken to some other software, an inelegant solution might be "good enough" for now.

One simple option is screen shots. Open your Bill schedule window, drag it as tall as possible, and take a screen shot. (Use Command-Shift-4, then Spacebar, then click on the Quicken window, and you'll get a screenshot of just that window without any other windows or background on your computer.) If all your transactions don't fit on one screen, scroll down one screen and take a second screenshot. (I said this wasn't elegant! ;) ) Unless you have a huge list of schedule transactions, I think most people would be able to capture everything in 3 or fewer screenshots.

You can do the same for the other lists you want. Open Window > Tags, drag the window as tall as you can, and take one or more screenshots to capture all the tags. Repeat for Window > Categories. Repeat for accounts (under Accounts > Hide & Show Accounts).

For some of these lists, an alternative is to create a list via a report and a little editing in a spreadsheet. For instance, for a list of all your categories used, you could create a Category Summary by Year report. This will create a report of income and expenses for every non-zero category over all the time you've used Quicken. You're not interested in the columns of values, just the first column. So click the Export button and select Export to CSV file. Open this file in Numbers or Excel, select and delete all the columns after the first one, and you'll be left with a list of all your categories used; print the spreadsheet. 

Although these approaches aren't as nice as being able to open and print each window in Quicken, I think you'll find that with just a few minutes of work, you can get what you need.
  • lahuff9
    lahuff9 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I agree with the comment from 12/11/2021. We recently sat down with our adult children to discuss "What you need to know when we die". The vast majority of our bills are on auto-pay. If we become incapacitated, it would be very important for them have a view into what those payments are in order to keep sufficient funds available. It is equally important for them to have insights that would allow them to cancel auto-payments quickly and efficiently.

While I have managed to create a manual list by changing each register to show the scheduled transactions for the next year, printing the next year's date range, and then resetting the view in each register, that is cumbersome. It doesn't allow me to export the data. I would like to see a Budget report that would allow me to simply do this for whatever timeframe I desire.
  • rpbdlb
    rpbdlb Member
    Options
    I have been searching for an answer to this. I really would appreciate this feature. Thank you.
  • dunno
    dunno Member ✭✭
    Options
    You have my vote. I would like to use this feature.
  • dunno
    dunno Member ✭✭
    Options
    I add that in a second phase this feature could be used to show a side by side comparison between a previous month/period and next month/period with the reminders.
  • AF_NR
    AF_NR Member ✭✭
    Options
    Although @jacobs offered "inelegant" solutions for this issue last December, the option to print these lists/reports is still preferred. Will attempt to resurrect this request by posting/starting another thread.
  • jacobs
    Options
    Please don’t start a second idea thread for the same feature request; that just muddies the long list of feature requests. However, by posting again in this thread, it bumps the topic to the top of the home page, so more people may see it.

Unfortunately, the topic has so far garnered only 10 votes; more people need to vote for this for it to be submitted to the development team. Anyone who wants to be able to print their upcoming bills on the Bills & Income screen, scroll up to the first post on this page and add your vote in the yellow box.
  • AF_NR
    AF_NR Member ✭✭
    Options
    My apologies @Jacobs. I thought you suggested someone start a thread with that subject.
  • jacobs
    Options
    @AF_NR No need to apologize. ;) I was just explaining that the best path forward is getting more people to vote for this existing Idea topic regarding making the Bills & Income screen printable. 
  • heathered23
    heathered23 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello all.

I had originally posted this. 3 years later and still no ability to print the screen. I wouldn't leave quicken over it but frustrating and disappointing that this has yet to be added. All my scheduled bills/payents are on this screen. It would be great to be able to print it for recording keeping or caparison. Thanks to everyone who commented and made suggestions. Hopefully we will have the ability to print any screen we need.

Heather
  • jacobs
    edited August 2023
    Options

The problem (well, a problem) is that this thread has only received 11 votes after 3 years. As I understand it, posts need to achieve some critical mass for the moderation team to be able to send the topic through to the product development team for consideration. I’m surprised there haven’t been more votes for this feature, but voting is a key way for users to influence what’s on the development roadmap.

• john303
    john303 Member ✭✭
    Options

Of course you should be able to print this screen, why is it even a question? Indeed, I cannot think of too many screens and graphs that you would not want to print at some point.

• jacobs
    Options

@john303 said: Of course you should be able to print this screen, why is it even a question? Indeed, I cannot think of too many screens and graphs that you would not want to print at some point.

I don't think it's so much a question of “should this be done” but “when should this be done.” All the features we desire for Quicken Mac are a question of priorities. It seems like printing a particular screen should be a no brainer, but each such report or screen print needs to be coded, one at a time. And the issue for the developers is which of the hundreds of feature requests to tackle in what order. User votes for these topics can help alter that trajectory. This topic hasn't garnered a lot of votes; more votes can get this out in front of the developers.

• JPrunty
    JPrunty Member ✭✭
    Options

This is something the Windows version has this should be standard! If I can look at my bills in a format that shows me what bills I have due as "Next Instance" I should be able to print that list and have all my bills on 1 sheet of paper in case I have an issue and have to restart from scratch, then I know what the bill is and when it is due as well as how often it needs to be scheduled out. I mean I can do it on paper and save and update it as needed but then why do I pay for Quicken ?

• JPrunty
    JPrunty Member ✭✭
    Options

Also it is possible to screen print using shift-command-4, but again being able to just click print would be best.

• jacobs
    Options

This Idea thread (feature request) is more than four-and-a-half years old, but still has only 13 votes — with only two added in the past 13 months. Quite simply, it needs more votes in order for the moderators to be able to push the feature request to the developers. If you have commented on this thread but not voted, go add your vote in the yellow box at the top of this thread. If you want this functionality, you must vote for it.

As I've noted above in this thread, it's not a question of whether this is a worthwhile idea or not; it would clearly be helpful to some people who use the Bills & Income screen. The issue is where this ranks among the many (hundreds) of feature requests from Quicken Mac users. Some Idea posts here garner many dozens, and in some cases, many hundreds, of user votes. It may seem like a no-brainer for the developers to add this functionality, but they're ever-busy adding features deemed higher priorities. In this case, the Idea has not even been pushed to the developers, so it may not be on their radar at all. More votes here can get that accomplished.

• AF_NR
    AF_NR Member ✭✭
    Options

Would be helpful to have. Too bad there have not been enough votes.

Today received notice that the subscription price is going up again in January … Will be researching alternate financial software in January.

Best of luck getting this feature added.