Add a Billing Cycle End Date for Reconcile and CC Payments (1 Merged Vote) [edited]

Jon Whittaker
Jon Whittaker Member ✭✭✭
I LOVE the new feature to set up automatic payment transactions to use the Current Credit Card Balance BUT. It would be fantastic if you could add a cycle end date, so the billing statement balance became the amount the transactions used.
For instance, I use a credit card daily but my billing cycle ends on the 5th of each month and I pay the card in full, meaning the balance as of the 5th, NOT today.
16 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Rich S
    Rich S Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Add an OPTION to each account so that Quicken knows what the statement dates will be and fills in the next available statement date when you reconcile that account.  Most common are:  Last calendar date of the month (Fidelity), certain calendar day of the month (Chase Credit),  certain calendar day of the month adjusted to the next banking date,  certain calendar day of the month adjusted to the prior banking date (?).  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    For what its worth, the previous statement ending date appears to be used to project the next month's statement ending date in Quicken 2016 Premier R18.4.
  • Rich S
    Rich S Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

For what its worth, the previous statement ending date appears to be used to project the next month's statement ending date in Quicken 2016 Premier R18.4.

Yes it works very similarly in Q2019 although I reconciled a 6/30/2018 statement and the next statement date was projected to be 7/30/2018 when EOM July is actually 7/31/2018.  Apparently Quicken just adds one to the month and then hopes for the best.  Same thing happened when I went from April to May. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    From what I've seen for as long as I have used Quicken ... a statement
    closing date always is calculated to be on the same day, month+1
    ... because you can have statement closing days on any day of the month.
    When day xx on month+1 falls beyond the end of the month, the real last day of the month is used.
    That, however, shifts the date around and you get something like this:
    1/31, 2/28, 3/28, 4/28 ... 12/28, 1/28 ...

I concur with Rich's suggestion. Closing Dates as well as dates for Interest and Bank Charges in the manual Reconcile dialog should allow you to select "Last day of month".

As a workaround select the Date field and press "h", the keyboard shortcut to advance the date to the last day of the month.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'm all for automation, reducing keystrokes, etc. etc...

BUT then you get FIs/banks where the date varies by up to several days each month, AND the "rules" vary from FI/Bank to FI/Bank... I have well over 20 accounts and have had MANY more over the decades and the rules vary too much... So, this IDEA would work ONLY for the FI/bank that happens to use these particular rules... that's very narrow... so I see it only benefitting some users and not at all for others, or better yet, only for some accounts and not others.

Realizing such variability, it would be very complicated to implement to satisfy all users...and I am not sure of the advantage in the end. Understanding this, I do not find it that big a deal to use the keyboard shortcuts to get what is needed for each account...
    +/- to change day from the initial 'estimated' end date
    'm' or 'h' to go to beginning or end of month...

that seems to cover the bases, IMHO

sometimes good enough is, well, good enough  ;-)

It will be interesting to see how much interest there is in this IDEA request.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Rich S
    Rich S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks. Fidelity has millions of customers, trillions in assets. I feel confident there are a large number of Fidelity customers who also use Quicken and would appreciate this feature. 
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a useful feature.
    Note that this suggestion currently has zero votes. Even the suggester needs to vote it up to get to vote #1.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jon Whittaker
    Jon Whittaker Member ✭✭✭
    I guess my current process of "Edit this instance" of my recurring payment transaction once I get the statement will have to suffice.  I probably should have explained this better but if Quicken picked up the closing balance transaction being the last one that is R - reconciled, it would save having to change it manually.  Not earth shattering but it would be very convenient  
  • Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭✭✭
    According to these posts, Quicken discontinued automatically filling the Ending Statement Date around 5-years ago. Quicken could easily put the feature back. Next to the "Ending statement date" in the Reconcile pop-up, add a configuration like the "Due next on" used in Bill and Income Reminders. 
  • Jon Whittaker
    Jon Whittaker Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input Ray. I'd make it even easier on the. Just look for the last “R” transaction and use the balance as of that.

I manually reconcile my transaction on a very frequent basis, so it wouldn't even require Quicken to add the Statement End date back in.

Since no one else seems to give a hoot about this. I guess it'll never see the light of day.