Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Reports (Mac)

Report based on keyword of Memo/Notes

TomJFTomJF Member ✭✭
edited May 23 in Reports (Mac)
Would you please implement a keyword search routine for the Memo/Notes column. My database dates back to 1981 and I often want to check the purchase date and cost of principal items like refrigerators, washing machines, auto batteries, cars, etc. Keywords of most items are entered into the Memo/Notes column of my database.

Thanks Tom
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24
    Yes, a REPORT that can pull up only the lines (split lines) that matches the memo criteria, not the entire transaction (unless it matches).

This also would apply to the QuickReport that is only partially implemented, here:
    (click here for list of missing items from Quick Reports)

Also needed is the ability to save such a report.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do this all the time in Quicken Mac. The Search box searches the memo/notes fields. Click on All Transactions in the left sidebar, then enter the search term in the Search box. I'm not sure what you find missing?
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • TomJFTomJF Member ✭✭
    Thanks jacobs. This does work. I'm so used to performing this function easily and simply in QM2007 using "QkReport" that I had not worked out how to do it in the new Quicken. I greatly miss the the versatility and simplicity afforded by "QkReport" from QM2007.
    edited May 24
    Like many things in modern Quicken Mac, at first it feels alien and worse. Then, after you work with it a little, you come to see that many things are just different, not worse. (And some are better. And some are worse. ;) )

In terms of finding something in a memo field, I actually find it as good as doing a QuickReport in Quicken 2007: click All Transactions or Banking on the left, type the memo I want to find in the Search box, and press Return. The results come up fast, I can print the results if I want to (although most of the time finding it on-screen is all I need), and I can double-click a transaction if I need to see the split detail.

On key thing, if you use Memo/Notes extensively as I do, is to make sure you make this column visible on all your registers and group registers (like Cash, Banking, Credit Card, All Transactions). It's annoying to have to set up your columns in every register, but it's fortunately something you set up once and then forget about.

One other thing to mention: in the Search box, by default Quicken will search all visible columns. Sometimes, you might be looking for a specific word in a memo that also shows up in some other field. For example, let's say you want to find a payment for your annual Amazon Prime membership, and you enter "Amazon" in the Search field; it will find all the transactions where "Amazon" is the Payee, which is not what your intended. So sometimes, it's helpful to tell Search to only search the Memo/Notes field (or another field). You can do this by using what must be the tiniest icon in Quicken: in the Search box, just to the right of the magnifying glass icon, there's a small downward facing v-shaped symbol (a "caron") which looks like this: ˇ -- click on it and you'll see a drop-down list of all columns, and you can change the Search from "All visible columns" to just "Memo/Notes" or another field.
    edited May 24
    jacobs said:
    I do this all the time in Quicken Mac. The Search box searches the memo/notes fields. Click on All Transactions in the left sidebar, then enter the search term in the Search box. I'm not sure what you find missing?

The thing missing is what I stated above... Searching the register only brings up entire transactions and NOT just the split lines that meet the memo criterion. Also, any total generated = transactions totals and NOT the total of just the matching split lines matching. So this is STILL a missing feature in QMac.

Also missing is the ability to save the reports.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

@smayer97  I was answering the original question, not turning this into a feature comparison. I agree with you, Search in Quicken Mac doesn't fully replace Quicken 2007 QuickReports. But the issue here was how to do a keyword search of the Memo/Notes field to locate a specific purchase transaction by searching the Memo field -- and for that purpose, Quicken Mac Search works well.
    Well I took the CONTEXT of the Search in Quicken as per the TITLE..."REPORT based on ..."

? Add your vote here:

(