Quicken Bill Manager - "Needs Attention" [Chase credit card bills]

I am using Quicken Bill Manager.

I see this messgae on the screen...
"Needs Attention(2)"

How do I fix this issue?

Comments

• Hello @William Fee,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

In order to better assist you further, could you please provide a screenshot of the error you described receiving above? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. 

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• William Fee
    William Fee Member ✭✭
    Screen shot attached.
  • William Fee
    William Fee Member ✭✭
    Does anyone know how to fix "needs attention" in Quicken Bill Pay?
  • Hello @William Fee,

Thank you for providing the screenshot. 

Please be advised that Chase Online biller as well as Quick Pay are no longer available after the Chase migration.

For more information about this, please refer to this Community Announcement and this support article.

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I'm confused and this has not been addressed. Or I am not understanding something:

The first link says:

Additional option for Windows users

If you are a Quicken for Windows user, the ability to download Chase credit card bills via Express Web Connect is a new feature being offered; this feature enables you to download your Chase credit card bills, so you can see your latest bill(s) and what you owe.  However, other bill types from Chase are only available as manual bills, and the new EWC bill method for credit cards only works with Check Pay at this time. 

This is not working as the first poster mentioned. Always says needs attention and based on the QUICKEN FAQ, should work.
    Everything in this FAQ is how I experienced it:

BUT, not working as described or expected.
  • William Fee
    William Fee Member ✭✭
    I am confused too!

After setting up 2 Chase Credit cards, a messsage is displayed on the screen they need attention.

Does anyone know how to fix "needs attention" in Quicken Bill Pay?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I recommend you logon directly to the Chase credit card website and authorize them to direct debit (aka PAC Draft, Autopay, APS, etc.) the next and perhaps all future payments from your checking account. Chase will do all the work for you and make an electronic debit on the due date and you don't have to worry about being late.

In Quicken unlink the bill and just record a scheduled reminder which does not execute as an online payment into your account register on or before the Due Date and before you download transactions from the bank or credit card containing the payment transaction. That will allow Quicken to match your register transaction to the downloaded data and not cause any further issues.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    That's one way of doing things. But does not explain the "Needs Attention" at all. Which IS the topic of this thread.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Bob. said:
    That's one way of doing things. But does not explain the "Needs Attention" at all. Which IS the topic of this thread.
    There is a simple explanation.  It doesn't work.

I spent years playing whack mole, with "Need Attention" for various "Online Bills", for years.
    The system is just not reliable.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Chris. But that was then and this is now. A different game. EWC+ and NEW instructions that clearly do not expect the Needs Attention nor addresses it. So let's look more current. And see if anyone has anything to contribute to this question under the current conditions.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I disagree.  It is the same old problem.  I know you have seen different behaviors with accounts that are setup for Express Web Connect and the ones that are for Direct Connect, but that has more to do with what Quicken (the program) is doing, not the overall unreliable system that is Online Bills/Quicken Bill Manager.

Express Web Connect + only changes the protocol between Intuit and the financial institution for downloading transactions.  It has no bearing on what is being done for the bills.  The FDX protocol doesn't have anything in it for bills.

It is a completely different system being used for the bills, and a completely different third party providing the service.
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Totally disagree. FWIW, Chase now sources the Biller information from a totally different place then it did when it had Direct connect active. But I'd rather find answers than arguments.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    Totally disagree. FWIW, Chase now sources the Biller information from a totally different place then it did when it had Direct connect active. But I'd rather find answers than arguments.
    Of course it does!

Direct Connect:
    Quicken talking to OFX server that is tied into the financial institution's bill pay system to send payments from that system, and to synchronize payee/payment information.

Quicken Bill Manager:
    Go to each "biller's" site and schedule a payment for "their bill" from their site.

So, with Direct Connect there is only Quicken and the financial institution talking on a set protocol to get all of your bills paid.

With Quicken Bill Manager there is Quicken talking to a third party service that is in turn talking to however many "billers" you have trying to get the bill information and schedule payments.

As such, with Quicken Bill Manager each "biller" will have a different way "to present the information" that the third party service is trying to pick up/schedule with.

Bottom line is that at any given time one of your bills might be working with Quicken Bill Manager while another isn't.  They are all completely different.  And there isn't any set protocol for this communication.

Every problem "Needs Attention" breaks down to trying to resolve where in that long chain something went wrong.
    Signature:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop arguing. Take the easy way out: Stop fighting the Bill Manager windmill and let Chase do the work of collecting their money for you. I've been doing it this way with all of my credit cards and billers for many years and never had a problem.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And I will point out that Quicken Bill Manager was built on Online Bills which was completely outside of the old bill pay through Direct Connect or even the old Quicken Bill Pay.  They share almost nothing.

And just in case it isn't clear by the above statement the "Needs Attention" might be Quicken (the program) getting out of sync with what the third party bill presentment/bill pay system has.

Again just like Express Web Connect, it is extremely hard to tell part of the system is actually failing.
    And as such you might be best off talking to Quicken Support at least they might be able to look at your logs or their logs on their servers.  And maybe get in touch with the third party service/biller to fix things.

Given this is a problem with a major financial institution I suspect that it will get resolved, but people with different billers might not be so lucky.  And you might find like I did that you are clicking on the "Needs Attention" over and over.  Just like where for Express Web Connect they keep recommending resetting the connection.
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Once upon a time not long ago everything you seem compelled to type was true. It is NOT any longer for Chase and Online Billers. NOT. You are a superuser, perhaps you have contacts you can check with. I am not art liberty to say more. And I will not keep taking the bait.

Things change. This is one of them. So yesterday's Needs Attention is not identical to today's for CHASE and maybe others. But I can only talk about what I know and that is Chase.

Just for exaample, notice how adding a Chase Online Biller is different than most other billers and how it was before Direct Connect changes (and yes, online billers has nothing to do with Direct Connect - that is a marker in time when other things changed.) That should be a clue that it not longer works the way you argue. Look closely at the difference in steps.

Enough. Maybe someone will have information on this someday.  But I'll not be replying on this topic again.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Nice improvements in surprise update today.

Chase online billers working as expected now. No more “needs attention”. Shows proper entered date. And "awaiting next bill".

Glad to see reminders and scheduled bills “daily” for 30 day billers as well. And real time stock quotes.

Nice surprises.

• pkelley
    pkelley Member ✭✭
    Agree!!
  • William Fee
    William Fee Member ✭✭
    In Quicken Bill Manager what are the reasons a biller gets flags as Needs Attention?

I still have two billers that are flagged as Needs Attention and I have no clue why?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Quicken Bill Manager what are the reasons a biller gets flags as Needs Attention?
    I still have two billers that are flagged as Needs Attention and I have no clue why?
    Good question. Maybe a Quicken employee can give you an answer to that.
    What are the names of these two billers?
    Have you tried to "Review and repair online billers"?
  • William Fee
    William Fee Member ✭✭
    The name of the two billers is chase credit cards.
    Check Pay work for the two accounts.
    Also the repair and review options did not report anything.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    OK, try this.

(You MUST have all Chase CC accounts EWC+ first)
    1. Unlink both Chase billers from any reminders
    2. Delete the Chase Billers using the Manage Online Billers under the gear icon upper right
    3. Delete any Chase Reminders
    4. Close and restart Quicken
    5. Add Chase Onine Billers
    6. Link one at a time to a remonder, BUT Use the Create New Reminder bottom left.
    All should look much better now using the right names and no Needs Attention.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    And you MUST be on 44.20 for this to work. Sorry for the afterthought.
  • William Fee
    William Fee Member ✭✭
    I still have Needs Attention for the two Chase Credit cards.

Any other suggestions?
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I'm surprised. If you are on 44.20 and if you have both cards set to EWC+ and if you followed the above should have worked.
  • William Fee
    William Fee Member ✭✭
    My Quicken Version is R43.32
    My connections are EWC for Chase Credit Cards
    Everything seems to work except Quicken does not tell me why the two accounts need attention?
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Reread my post. You MUST be on 44.20 for this to work. Period. And must be EWC +.
  • William Fee
    William Fee Member ✭✭
    I am on EWC+

When I search for the latest update, quicken says I have the latest version.

Where can I get 44.20
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am on EWC+

Where can I get 44.20
    Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I am on EWC+

Where can I get 44.20
    And above you said you were on EWC. There is a difference between EWC and EWC+. Helps to be specific.
    If for some reason you choose not to get 44.20 on the link Chris suggests, it will update in a day or two or three if you just wait.
    But my fix ONLY will work on 44.20. And if you follow exactly as I posted.