Fidelity NetBenefits (QWIN)

Options

Answers

• njsg
    njsg Member ✭✭
    Options
    I've written a lot of software in my day and am well aware of the trials and tribulations of testing things out. However , I don't think it's too much to ask to have Q keep the user community appraised of what the hell they are doing. This problem seems to be the result of a change at NetBenefits, since I read above that someone is having similar trouble with Ameriprise application.
  • TXJD
    TXJD Member ✭✭
    Options

Adding another voice to this issue. As with all, stuck since March 5th or so. It seems pretty clear now that NetBenefits changed their access to "Fidelity Access", away from user id / password and Quicken has not implemented this change.

• qnami
    qnami Member ✭✭
    Options

Just wanting to report that I am having the same issue in that the "Update Accounts" fails for Fidelity Netbenefits accounts with error OL-220-A since March 7th 2023. I have Quicken Premier Version R48.15 Build 27.1.48.15 on a Win10 PC.

I am reviewing this alert page and hoping for a status or some sort of update, thank you:

• LQLA
    LQLA Member ✭✭
    Options
    Straight from Fidelity:

"Hello and thank you for reaching out on Twitter. We're sorry to hear the sentiment you described but want you to know that we have been made aware of this issue and are working to provide a solution. While we do not currently have a timeframe for when this will be resolved, we can assure you we're working diligently on a fix. We appreciate your patience.

In the meantime, please let us know if we can assist with anything else."

I sent the DM last night at about 10PM. This reply was in my inbox at 9:18AM.

Although not forthcoming without prompting/asking, at least when asked they PROMPTLY replied (notice they have not taken full accountability for the issue as a change in their standards). Not with an answer any of us like (we do not currently have a timeframe), but it's likely the best we are going to get in the near future.

I dare say if the number of comments on this thread DM'd @Fidelity on Twitter, perhaps they'd get a little better understanding of just how frustrating this all is.

YMMV
  • Brian14
    Brian14 Member ✭✭
    Options

Any progress on downloading transactions from Fidelity NetBenefits? I've had two software updates and still cannot download transactions from Fidelity NetBenefits.

• Brian14
    Brian14 Member ✭✭
    Options

Apparently, Fidelity implemented a new multi-factor authentication (MFA) Is Quicken taking action to support this new MFA? Does Quicken have the ability to adopt or is Fidelity completely blocking access? I'm confused whether this new MFA is causing a "temporary interruption" or if this is a termination of third party downloads from Fidelity (Fidelity's MFA will not support third party access.)

• LQLA
    LQLA Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Brian14 said:
    > Apparently, Fidelity implemented a new multi-factor authentication (MFA) Is Quicken taking action to support this new MFA? Does Quicken have the ability to adopt or is Fidelity completely blocking access? I'm confused whether this new MFA is causing a "temporary interruption" or if this is a termination of third party downloads from Fidelity (Fidelity's MFA will not support third party access.)

A link confirming Fidelity's impending(?) refusal of third party access would be greatly appreciated.
  • DPP28
    DPP28 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken needs to clarify - WILL this functionality be reestablished (if so, WHEN) or, let users know now that it won't be.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Tammy Van Buren,

I have sent you a direct message, please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Thanks, Tammy!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• dewidavid
    dewidavid Member ✭✭
    Options

I too DM'd @Fidelity this morning and got back a reply in minutes. In my case the NetBenefit funds are a 403(b).

Thanks for messaging us about this! We understand some clients are receiving an error related to importing 403(b) data with Quicken. The case has been escalated internally at Quicken and Fidelity, and teams are actively working on a solution. We do not have an ETA on the fix yet, so please continue monitoring your 403(b) on http://Netbenefits.com for now. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

• itsmeken
    itsmeken Member ✭✭
    Options
    UPDATE: I have been one of you all not being able to download from NetBenefit accounts since March 7 or so. I was just able to download successfully. Quicken is also showing a new version is available for download which I did NOT download before testing. I'm not sure I'm going to rush to install the new version since the download is working now.
  • itsmeken
    itsmeken Member ✭✭
    Options
    2nd UPDATE: After successfully getting a NetBenefit download and posting here about that success. I tried again and it failed with same error. Tried again and it was successful. This has repeated several times of getting a successful download or two and then a failure or two. So, I'm assuming Q/FI is working on the issue and doing some testing. NOTE: I have not installed the new software update.

Anyone else experiencing this behavior right now?
  • jimmcd01
    jimmcd01 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Likewise, same here. Successful update to one account with two 401(k)s, but a different account then failed.
  • itsmeken
    itsmeken Member ✭✭
    Options
    3rd UPDATE: Now it's back to failing every time. Decided to update Quicken and same result, continuous failed download. I "Reset Account" online access and that was successful which has always been the case. Still failing on download with same OL-220-A error. One interesting fact, after the successful download the account show a current date for successful download. After the failed download the account shows the previous March 11as the Last Download.
  • T82
    T82 Member
    Options

I have three Fidelity 401K accounts set up for online download with Quicken (Quicken Windows subscription version). These accounts have downloaded without issue, for the most part, for several years. Beginning around March 11, 2023, all three accounts stopped downloading, generating the error code OL-220-A. The issue continues through today, March 21st. Quicken says it is a Fidelity issue, that is known and being worked on. I believe that Fidelity is the issue since all of my other accounts (at least seven others) download with no problems.

• DPP28
    DPP28 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Tried now, same error OL-220-A (R48.9). Tried the update (R48.15), still does not work - same error. Again, this only occurs with one NetBenefits account. My wife's NetBenefits account (different employer) updates BUT ONLY 2 of 3 securities get the prices updated. Basically, same problems experienced since 3/7.
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@da.hi
    I totally agree that Quicken needs to be pressuring Fidelity — they are our advocates in this matter. Moreover, they should be sharing any progress/feedback with us (even if it's bad news). My comment was purely in response to the notion that Quicken could "roll back" a software change to resolve this issue as you had suggested.

@Smokey7422
    Fidelity Access is Fidelity's newest, OAuth-based integration method, and I would expect Quicken is aware of this and has adoption of this new API on their roadmap. We'll know it's happening when they convert the Fidelity integration to EWC+, just as they've done with a bunch of other FIs recently.

That said, I don't see any evidence that Fidelity has, at this point, "shut down" the OFX-based integration API that Quicken currently uses. The endpoint is still up and running, but it's returning invalid data for some 401k accounts. (Note that the OFX API for non-401k Fidelity accounts is still working as expected).

It is a valid question though of whether, given OFX is deprecated, Fidelity feels any urgency in fixing the error they've introduced, especially if there are only a few integrators that leverage it. Instead, they could tell Quicken (and others) to switch to their new APIs, but that will take some time.

To rightfully assign blame in this case, we would need to know what, if any, end-of-life expectations Fidelity set with integrators for the OFX API. If Quicken knew such a thing was coming and missed the date, then clearly this would be Quicken's fault. But if Fidelity broke a deprecated but still-active API, then Fidelity should be blamed.

• tbrandvold
    tbrandvold Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just received a telephone call and email from the "Office of the President" of Quicken. They, once again, acknowledge the issue but provide no incremental information on the source of the problem or the timeline to resolve. They simply directed me to the same March 15 update from Anja. I will continue to engage with them and provide feedback here.
  • Brian14
    Brian14 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @LQLA https://nb.fidelity.com/bin-public/070_NB_PreLogin_Pages/documents/email/MECB2B/FAQ_Securing_Customer_Data_on_Fidelity_Webpages_EXTERNAL.pdf

Additonally, I had a conversation with the a Fidelity customer support where they repeated everything from this documentation. I don't understand if this is temporary or if there are plans in the future to allow third-party access. I don't understand if Quicken needs to update their connection protocol to handle the MFA.
  • TrentTh
    TrentTh Member
    Options

Another update from quicken for me today; still the same issue on the Fidelity/Netbenefits sync. I appreciate everyone keeping this going. Misery loves company :)

• LQLA
    LQLA Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Brian14 said:
    > @LQLA https://nb.fidelity.com/bin-public/070_NB_PreLogin_Pages/documents/email/MECB2B/FAQ_Securing_Customer_Data_on_Fidelity_Webpages_EXTERNAL.pdf
    >
    > Additonally, I had a conversation with the a Fidelity customer support where they repeated everything from this documentation. I don't understand if this is temporary or if there are plans in the future to allow third-party access. I don't understand if Quicken needs to update their connection protocol to handle the MFA.

Very helpful. Thank you for the link. I did interpret that it was Fidelity's intent to continue working with third party aggregators (not certain if Q is classified as such - Turbotax is NOT classified as such, pointed out in the documentation). We will see if said intentions eventually come to a satisfactory conclusion.

I guess Quicken is not a big enough "third party" to have worked with Fidelity since December 2022 in adopting any new APIs!! :*
  • Tony Luers
    Tony Luers Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Brian14

The problem with your links to the MFA and 3rd party info is that the regular Fidelity accounts are still operating and updating. The error is only on the Net Benefits side. If you look right now you won't see Quicken listed as 3rd party acess. Quicken isn't a financial aggregator. I believe the problem is solely in the connection method, either the Direct Connect, Web Connect, or Express Web Connect/Quicken Connect methods or a combination of these methods. 

But again, it really doesn't make sense that Fidelity accounts are OK, but the Fidelity Net Benefits accounts are at issue since they both are Fidelity.

I sent Fidelity another email basically stating if the 2 kids can't play nice and talk to each other, I can easily cancel the Quicken subscription and move my accounts to another investment firm. It's BS that this has gone on over 2 weeks and niether side really wants to say anything except for Anja.

• Hokieinidaho
    Hokieinidaho Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same thing here. Add this to the Citi Bank and AMEX issues ongoing, and it really makes me cringe given the $78 renewal I just paid Quicken for. Common folks …. what the heck is going on.

• berkley57
    berkley57 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am having the same issue with my netbenefits account, but only with the NG funds that have no CUSIPs. My netbenefits brokerage account updates perfectly fine, but consists of a money market account and some funds and stocks with CUSIPS. I am using VIP access for MFA with all of my accounts via web and app, but it is not required when I download my Fidelity and Ntetbenefits accounts. I believe the issue is with the lack of CUSIPs in the netbenefits NG funds acct
  • Tony Luers
    Tony Luers Member ✭✭✭
    Options

berkley57

One of my Net Benefits accounts is a brokerage account, regular stocks and funds with CUSIP's, so it's not the lack of CUSIP's. I have another Net Benefts account with a fund in it, no CUSIP, no update since 3/6, but somehow they reported it as be 2x the value that it is.

I'm not even going to fool with it anymore until they send an update that the problem is fixed.

• Tony Luers
    Tony Luers Member ✭✭✭
    Options

LQLA

My Fidelity account updates, but when you used to get the window that said x # Fidelity accounts updated, x # Net Benefits accounts updated, now it only shows the error for Net Benefits, doesn't say anything about Fidelity or that Fidelity updated even though it did.

• Brian14
    Brian14 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Tony Luers

Correct, connection issue only occuring with Fidelity Netbenefits accounts. However, Fidelity customer service agent said it may be a matter of time before the Fidelity Investment accounts experience the same issue. He suggested customers may experience a temporary interruption and then went on to say MFA will not support third party access. Seems like contradictory statements from Fidelity.
  • LQLA
    LQLA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

> @Brian14 said:

> @Tony Luers

> Correct, connection issue only occuring with Fidelity Netbenefits accounts. However, Fidelity customer service agent said it may be a matter of time before the Fidelity Investment accounts experience the same issue. He suggested customers may experience a temporary interruption and then went on to say MFA will not support third party access. Seems like contradictory statements from Fidelity.

I desperately hope it is not Fidelity's intent to eliminate third party access if what they characterize as such are financial software such as Quicken, [Removed-3rd Party Software] or any other software listed as "The Best Personal Finance Software for 2023" - PC Magazine (referenced earlier in this loooooong thread).

So if Fidelity NetBenefits is the canary in the coalmine and issues are on the horizon for Fidelity Investments, here's hoping Q is paying attention and working on potential solutions quickly. Hmmmmmm.

Since it is my investment tracking software (not Q) that is not working correctly, I'll figure out how to manually download and import there. I was planning on being out of my NetBenefits accounts by end of this year already, so that headache is not to worry. Although this will be a much bigger issue for all of my Fidelity Investment accounts, if and when it comes to that.

I am very happy that my banking software (not Q) is downloading both Fidelity Investments and NetBenefits accurately via OFX Direct Connect. Inspection of the OFX logs shows that they have implemented some additional security measures involving Trusted Certificates, TLS requests, and cipher suites. Looking back through the Software changelogs for the past two years, this is something they put in place in April 2019 ("OFX connections now default to using system certificates, with the ability to opt-in to OFX-specific certificates for individual connections") and Jan 2021 ("Restored custom TLS layer settings for connections requiring custom tweaks (including Fidelity")).

• DPP28
    DPP28 Member ✭✭
    Options
    An email last week to Q Office of the President received a prompt response basically stating no estimated fix date and thanks for your patience. A follow up email this week requesting update - crickets…..
This discussion has been closed.