Quicken is S L O W - Everyone affected Please chime in.

Options
tbf47
tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭

I am hoping a responsible real live "Quicken" person will read this. Today, I search posts with the word slow. There are many posts. All along, every time this question gets raised including yours truly, immediately the finger gets pointed to the users computer. That is freaking shame. The problem is with Quicken. I believe that this is a problem caused by a Windows update that Quicken failed to adapt to. 

My significant daily experience with Quicken goes back to DOS 5.2. I have never had persistent slow performance, hour glass wait, extremely slow update issues until the last year. Every time I contact Quicken they try to point the finger at my computer. I hope that all of you you who have posted similar issues only to become frustrated with Quicken's apathy will chime in here. Maybe we can persuade them to fix it.

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and reporting this issue here, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

This has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

THX for trying. In WIN 11 you get a list of software to choose from. Quicken was not in the list but there was an option to pick your software not listed. I selected Quicken.exe in the Quicken folder and ran it. I understand they worked on the troubleshooter for WIN11.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is primarily noticeable on one step update but it is not completely isolated to it. I have the dreaded hour glass and then the question do you want to close the program and risk losing information or wait creating and exiting reports, exiting account sync . Please include the slow launch in the ticket. I am updating info from 5 institutions, 13 accounts. I do not use Mobile or Web apps. My Quicken file is on the C: drive but not directly on in the root directory it is in the Documents Folder. I have disabled One Drive however it still is visible in the tree. My best recollection is we have been reporting this as far back as the Fall of 2021. I believe it got worse in 4th Qtr 2022. Thank you for your attention.

• DRHayes
    DRHayes Member ✭✭
    Options
    Very slow doing almost anything. Even editing a transaction requires 15 seconds for the editing window to appear... Is there a standard troubleshooting sequence or some known issue with Quicken?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Perhaps this setting is causing a performance issue.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• ErikO
    ErikO Member ✭✭
    Options
    Been slow since the major update last year. At least the memory leak related to User objects and GDI objects was fixed!

Would be nice for Quicken to get back to the speed it used to be.

One step update takes 5-7 minutes. This should take 2-3 min, MAX!

Entering a transaction takes 10 seconds. This should take 1.
  • kjs1955
    kjs1955 Member
    Options

very slow on updating quicken program. If I go to task manager and stop the update the data file is corrupted. Also, how do you turn off the automatic updates for the Quicken program?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, how do you turn off the automatic updates for the Quicken program?

In Quicken itself, you can't, but you can set the Windows UAC setting higher so that you are asked for permission when a program tries to update.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Great Feedback. I have experienced most of the malfunctions mentioned. I believe that a Window Operating System Update created these problems within the last year or so. @Rickbee9 My network setting is set to Private. Thanks for the suggestion.

However, the problem has, IMHO, been exasperated by Quicken associates who seemingly have a predisposition to proving it is the user's machine. Something this widespread has to be Windows with its non-uniformity. Quicken has a responsibility to adapt to Windows.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The referenced discussion where @Rickbee9 mentions chaning the network setting from public to private:

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I want to encourage everyone here to continue the dialogue. All we can do is hope that Quicken does it's job. This is not a problem isolated to one or just a few users. In many cases, we are users who have been using Quicken back to DOS days. We have been Quicken defenders. But in typical I.T. management fashion, users can be seen as a blight on their platform.

To All:

Is there someone here who had the problem and then fixed it?

We would love to hear from you.

Come On Quicken step up. This is real and I highly doubt Bob and I are the only ones.

• EricMG
    EricMG Member ✭✭
    Options

ONLY SINCE R50.13 UPDATES IN THE PAST WEEK: Opening program is extremely slow and Quicken Id verification occurs every time. One Step Update takes at least 5 times longer to complete than before R50.13. I worked in IT many years and the only time I've seen this kind of severe program degradation after an upgrade is when a program was rolled out with debugging tools still enabled. Is R50.13 tracing all online activity to some debugging file somewhere? Does anyone know if Quicken Support even monitors the Community Forums? I've posted the above info using the "Report a Problem" link within Quicken.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Great post. I do not know how much credence they put in this forum. I have a bit of IT experience also. I believe the tail is wagging the dog on this issue. Or they don't want to invest the resources to fix it. An analyst from the COO's office has worked with me on this issue. The company management's fix for this to eliminate data from the active QDF. Reduce it to a year or 2 archiving the remainder. I am reluctant to do that. I use my historical data a fair amount. There are some very experienced users on this forum with larger data files than I, who have not archived. I am running Quicken on a relatively new Windows box only used for Quicken as I am mostly Apple. I do not care to use Quicken for Apple. It just isn't the same to me at least. Please comment on the follow thoughts I have have been mulling over.  I also believe this started with a singular event.  

1. Why wouldn't this be affecting all users with similar scenarios ? 
    2. The fact that running Quicken in SAFE Mode does significantly enhance speed. What might that indicate?
    3. Could variations in Windows cause this ?
    4. I have tried all of the settings suggestion noted on this forum. They did not solve the problem. 

Thank you very much for posting. I look forward to see your response. 

TJ

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is an excerpt from a MICROSOFT response to my reporting this problem.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

Fully up-to-date Q HB&RP edition and Win 11 Pro.

Just installed Q on a BRAND NEW machine with top-of-the-line CPU and 32GB RAM running Win 1 Pro. Running Q from local 2TB hard drive. Result: Q is just as slow on this new machine as it was on my previous Win 11 machine. This performance problem has been going on for many months. Ran validate and super validate; QDF and QEL show no read errors; QEL passes all internal consistency checks.

When I click the Update Accounts icon, (the circular arrow) it takes 55 seconds for the dialog box to appear. That is ridiculous, of course.

QDF file is 97MB and contains data back to year 2000. That's not a huge file; I have far larger in other applications that do not exhibit such horrible performance. Accounts: 1 chkg, 1 svg, 3 cred cards, 1 IRA, 2 529 College svg accts, and 2 accounts that I update manually. I do not track any other investments.

The actual update takes nearly 3 minutes, and we're not talking a lot of accounts. Somebody needs to do something.

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The new installation is going to behave the same as the old because it's using the same data file. What happens when you create a new file, and try to open enter data? Can you revert to a back up data file that existed before "This performance problem has been going on for many months. "

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thank you for the super-speedy reply. I guess the real question is whether the problem lies within the data or within the application itself. I see many others complaining about the same thing, so I have to suspect the latter, though I have no airtight way to demonstrate this. Quicken definitely has major coding problems; screen handling is still amateurish, with black-screen flashes during account updates, Windows toolbar disappearances, account registers repainting themselves numerous times in quick succession, etc. You'd think after all these decades, it would be better.

As for the current very slow performance, I have used backup files as far back as six months (the oldest I have), and it's the same snail performance. I suppose I could export everything to a QXF and then re-import and save as QDF, but I don't know what functionality and data typing I would lose by going (temporarily) to the ancient QXF.

Come to think of it, as noted earlier, just licking the round arrow icon to initiate an update takes 55 seconds for the dialog box to display. There is no heavy computation occurring at that time. To me, that signals a problem within the Quicken program code.

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken has become a nearly untenable mess. There are constant connectivity issues, it is a slow clunky program, and for the yearly rental fee the cost benefit analysis is not looking very good. Time is approaching to look for alternatives.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

» with black-screen flashes during account updates, Windows toolbar disappearances, account registers repainting themselves numerous times in quick succession, etc

I don't have any "black-screen flashes" or any of the other symptoms. Looking at them, I'd start to suspect your graphics driver.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can always try doing the .QXF export/import and if it doesn't work out you have only lost some time & effort. Just make sure that you have a current backup before starting.

The investment accounts maybe the most troubling.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If I were working on this performance issue with an analyst from the COO’s office and they told me I had to trim down my data to one or two years to improve performance, I would make a backup, trim the data to one or two years, and prove that a trimmed file does NOT have significantly better performance. I would also be asking that analyst why would Quicken want to eliminate one of the main advantages of Quicken: easy access to all historical data.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Trimming the database of transactions will not significantly decrease the size of the data file or increase speed of the program. However, deleting the database of attachments will do so, especially for backup speed and backup storage. I find that attaching receipts for important large purchases is helpful for warranty purposes, but attaching statements is really not necessary seeing as most banks and financial institutions will let you access statements going back a year and a half. Any statements older than that are probably meaningless. Everyday purchase receipts are not necessary, or clean them on an annual basis. Ditto for any closed accounts.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

A fellow user discovered that his slowness was due to his network being Public instead of Private. This causes more security to run, slowing Quicken. Check this setting.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@RalphC I have never attached anything to a Quicken transaction. Ever. And still, I find that I should be timing Quicken's miserable performance with a calendar, not a stopwatch.

I've been using Quicken since June 2009, when Microsoft made the unfortunate decision to discontinue its superb Microsoft Money product. It looked great, screen handling was always perfect, and performance was sensational, no matter how large the data files grew. Quicken's screen handling and aesthetic appearance, 14 years later, are laughable in comparison.

@Rocket J Squirrel — My network setting are for Private. And why is it that ONLY Quicken exhibits horrendous performance and not applications that are vastly larger, like Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Outlook, or the Google Chrome browser?

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I have commented numerous times in this forum about slow, slow, slooow Quicken. My network for years has been private and still Q is the only software I have that is slow…. just FYI…. 😊 Powerful software on my computer (like Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Access, and Word) load in less that 2 second and access huge data files. Why does it take a long time for Q to load and why does it take several minutes to do an OSU only to download 1 transaction?

I keep thinking, and hoping the Q wizards will address this as it is a continual topic in this communty.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited July 2023
    Options

There are some more Windows tweaks in this FAQ if you haven't already seen them. I use them. For what it's worth, QWin runs acceptably fast on both my not-so-new Win10 PCs.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

That's for WIN10…..…Accelerater is "on" by default in my Win11 and Disabling Malware Scanning of Quicken files is not an option… etc.etc. You might look at Win11 as a lot has changed with graphics and settings…

I really doubt passing the buck to Windows will solve this issue… but even if it would why has Q not informed anybody of the resolve? I'm sure their IT guys that field all these slowness issues would like a break….

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Sorry, @retird , that's all I got. We are all running the same QWin executable and yet mine is acceptably fast and yours is not. That is why I look to Windows settings. Good luck.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@tbf47 - did you convert your current data from MS Money? I often wondered if that is the common thread for users who experience this performance issue.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Nope…..been using Quicken for over 30 years…. having this slow experience on 2 computers (both with SSD drives) running separate data files. One computer has 3 seperate data files and 2 of those files were set up very recently and they only access 1 financial institution each. Same slow experience no matter the size of the data files nor which computer.

Quicken continues to be my go-to software but the slow performance is frustrating in this era of fast interned speed (mine is 596 Mbps) and super fast computers with gigabit network routers. If all my powerful software were running slow I would look for a common thread but when Quicken is the only outlier it pretty well point to where the issue lies I think….

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel And how long does it take for Q to startup for you? How long does an OSU take to run for you? How many financial institutions does your OSU access? What is your data file size?