Quicken is S L O W - Everyone affected Please chime in.

Options

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I don't. My QWin runs fine under Win10 without any compatibility settings. I don't know what "compatibility tool" is.

I think I'll have to bow out of this thread since it seems to be specific to Win11. Good luck.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad you dropped by. This thread talks a lot about Win11 but there are many who express the same slowness running Win10. Hopefully it will get figured out for all….

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One user here reporting accepting the latest version update solved their long standing slowness issues:

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@mshiggins I am also on the latest release, R51.10 with build 27.1.51.10. Quicken is so slow on my machine, I should be timing its operations with a calendar, not a stop watch. That's everything from start-up, one-step update, reports, and even clicking the Help menu to check for updates. I am very glad @Falber's problem is solved!

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• mshiggins
    Options

The reported fix was from another user, not me. My QW2017 performance on Win 10 is fine with 24 years worth of data in a 146 meg data file.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I too read the comments of @Falber and that @mshiggins is not having issue. I never update the lastest release of Q for a while in case it is "buggy". Yesterday I decided to update to R51.10 on 1 computer. It seemed to install just fine and saw no immediate "bugs". So I installed R51.10 later that evening on my 2nd computer. It installed just fine too. Ran Q for awhile (couple hours) on both computers and no "bugs" reached out and that's good initially. Bootup of Q still slow on both computers but didn't do an OSU as I had done one before installing R510.10 to make backups….

This morning I ran OSU's on both computers and Q bootup and OSU was no better. That's what I got…..

PS: Noticed that @Falber runs Windows 10 Enterprise with Q- R51.10….. and @mshiggins is running Quicken 2017…

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RocketJSquirrel

I am windows 10. 

I have never used Compatibility mode either. I did try it yesterday after the suggestion. It was a nothing burger.

What is your opinion of my experience that running Quicken in Windows Safe Mode was extremely fast? I believe that could be of significance.

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does anyone else's screen go black during OSU?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@tbf47

What is your opinion of my experience that running Quicken in Windows Safe Mode was extremely fast? I believe that could be of significance.

Yes, it could. It implies that some background program or device driver external to Quicken is causing Quicken's slowdown. But how to determine which one(s)? That's the hard part.

For me, on my 2 Win10 PCs, I found that exempting Quicken from malware scanning sped things up. In Task Manager, I see the Antimalware Service Executable practically take over my machine when Quicken starts up and runs unless I disable it from checking Quicken. I know it makes people nervous to disable malware detection, but I would say it's worth trying once to see whether it helps. If it does, perhaps you can find other anti-malware software which doesn't interact badly with Quicken.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Come to think of it I had that happened only once about a week ago. Didn't think much of it as it didn't repeat…

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes. That is a litmus test. The analyst from the COO's office did not think that the speed differentiation from Regular to Safe Mode was of significance.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Until I hear some of the very experienced, data heavy fellow members here talking about data removal I am reluctant to follow this person at the present.

• mshiggins
    Options

It would be interesting to know how much Quicken experience the analyst from the COO’s office has.

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

[Removed - Off Topic/Speculation] Only time will tell!

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are two versions of safe mode: Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking.  Which did you run?

• DrWho
    DrWho Member
    Options

Q user since 2002 and echo what has been said already. Product is dreadfully slow with updates since last ~18 months. During todays login there was an update required which has now been running for 30 minutes with the progress bar stuck at about 80%. Task manager is indicating Q is sucking up CPU, the numbers bounce ever so slightly (it is alive) but no progress. This sounds to me like a deadlock situation in the database and there is a lot of churn but no progress. (Retired no but I have IT/ DB experience).

To me what is inexcusable is the user experience … I had no choice about doing the update .. and am presented with no exit option, and there is apparently no time out. I suggest the users on this forum are at least somewhat computer savvy since they knew to come here … but what about the vast majority? This stuff is just supposed to work.

• DrWho
    DrWho Member
    Options

Update to previous observation. After an hour I gave up - killed it in task manager. Restarted Q and am now at R51.11. One Step Update worked! (~1 minute elapsed time). Woot Woot.

I am hopeful this has fixed this long term niggling issue and if so can only hope the Q management team takes on board to fix their internal work processes that a) allowed them to blame the user about this for so long, and b) did not properly investigate it to start with.

Also the lack of any escape road in the user experience should also be addressed.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not sure. I did the windows key and R.

I only had one option.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@DrWho Interesting that you say you're on R51.11. I'm on R51.10, and when I do a "Check for Updates" from the Help menu, it tells me that R51.10 is the latest version. Also, I closed then restarted Q, and do not get a "new version available" indication. I'm envious that your computer can see into the future! Does Q perform better there?

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am R51.10 also

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

Yep I read where there was an update for the Canada version (R51.11). It was the only release for July and they had no R51.10. I saw a few posts that they think it fixed the slowness. I hope so……, If it really fixes the slowness bring an update to the US version……… 😉

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am quoting my own post of July 29. After installing R51.10 on July 28 I saw no improvement in startup. I didn't run an OSU. This morning I ran Quicken and same slow, a bit slower, startup and then ran an OSU which froze up. First freeze I have had. I let it run and run and run and then tried to exit out of OSU but could not. For some reason I thought I would click on "File" and "Exit" that way. The second I clicked on "File" the OSU completion screen came up with the correct transactions. Strange so just wanted to let ya know what I saw.

• Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Tried to upload sanitized data file, but it is limited to 200MB. Mine is almost twice that size. Sorry.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Went to the main Discussion Page to check on the progress of an issue and didn't see it listed. Has it been fixed? I checked my bookmarks and found it was updated yesterday but didn't say it was fixed..

I still don't see this on the Discussion main page :

• dcsj
    dcsj Member
    Options

As a Canada user (R51.11) I can confirm, "Houston, we have a problem." Still slow as molasses. Maybe slower. (Running Win 10, 32 GB RAM, SSD)

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Those who are still experiencing these issues (very slow Quicken launch & file opening, very slow OSU initiation and running, sometimes getting white screens and black screens) might want to update their QWin to R51.12 if they have not already done so. For me, R51.12 resolved these issues.

For those wanting to do this I recommend not updating from within Quicken since there are a fair number of posts in this Community of users experiencing issues when updating from within Quicken. Instead, close Quicken and then manually download and install the R51.12 Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product which IMO is a more reliable and trouble-free method for updating Quicken.

These issues started occurring for me not long after the last Win 11 update that I got on 7/12. At first all seemed normal but gradually over the next couple of weeks I noticed performance issues with several different apps as well as a gradual slowing of QWin.

2 days ago the issues hit Quicken really hard. I also noticed that 2 days ago I got downloaded updates to Firefox, MS Edge, MS Outlook, IBM Trusteer and I think a couple of other apps…all occurring at the same time. So, I'm speculating that there is something in the last Win 11 version update that is causing issues and other apps are now updating their versions to correct/compensate for that.

I also am wondering if it is a coincidence that R51.12 hot fix came out not long ago, too, or if it also might also include some fix for a Win 11 issue (even though that is not stated in the version notes).

On a hunch, this morning I closed Quicken and then downloaded and installed Manual Patch for R51.12. Since doing this, Quicken's operation (launch, file opening, OSU initiation and OSU running) returned to normal.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac I installed R51.12 a few days ago. Still no improvement…. It did startup quicker the first startup after updating and OSU also was better. Didn't last after the second startup and second OSU… and is back to the same slowness…

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting. I've opened and closed Quicken at least 4 times today after manually updating to R51.12. I've also opened 7 different data files since then and run OSU in each of them. I noticed no degradation in Quicken performance since the upgrade to R51.12.

I'll need to watch this closely over going forward to see what happens.

When you updated to R51.12 did you let Quicken do the update or did you manually update it?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac I updated to R51.12 letting Quicken do it on first computer and mondo on the second computer. Same experience on both computers.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with Boatnmaniac. I have no issues running R51.12 on Windows 11. For those experiencing issues, the problem is not with Quicken or we would all have the same issues. I would suggest troubleshooting your Windows installation. When was the last time you restarted your system? Another good troubleshooting technique would be to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe).