Quicken is S L O W - Everyone affected Please chime in.

Options

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Every new post is monitored by the moderators, not just this one. Your post was edited for "Speculation/Inaccurate", not just "inaccurate". They are tough on "speculation" here on the forum, I'm guessing that it was edited for speculation, but not knowing what the original verbiage was keeps me from advising you how you crossed the line.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@vharbuck - can you do a OSU on one Financial Institution at a time? is it possible it is the connect time to a specific institution that is slowing things down? EWC+ is going to be slower than other connection types.

Also, please confirm what version of WINDOWS you are running.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am running

Windows 10 Pro

version 22H2

OS BUILD 19045.3271.

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mark1104 , I did exactly what you asked @vharbuck to do. One financial institution at a time. Created numerous single financial institution "Test Files" with the same results. Just as slow…… slow even when no transactions are downloaded.

With all the discussion and "guessing" for solutions there is 1 missing part of the transfer of data flow that nobody can even ask about. "The 3rd party servers of Intuit"…. Try talking to them…. can't be done….. No answers from Quicken except the default statement " This issue remains ongoing and our teams continue to work toward a solution. No ETA or further details are available at this time, and this Alert will be updated once more information, updates, etc become available.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Thank you!"

SO WE WAIT AND HOPE. 😊😊😊

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. How likely is it that the Windows firewall is at least partially responsible for these causing Quicken these issues?

2. The focus is has mainly been on those of us who have issues. We could be the normal ones. Maybe they should do a comparative to ones that have zero problems. As in my case I have a relatively new, pristine one use only PC that is only used for Quicken. I do not do anything else with the machine.

What could be giving the ones not experiencing the issues immunity?

• InkPen
    InkPen Member ✭✭
    Options

When Quicken started to run so slow that it was becoming almost unusable, I took action. Firewall settings were checked, new dummy files were created to see if they also ran slow (they did), & different Win 11 Pro hacks were done in attempt to speed things up. Malwarebytes was used to make sure this system was not infected. A clean install of Win11 Pro did not help. A new Quicken data file was started from scratch reducing file size from 139,887 to 14,884 kb (no improvement). The other programs on my PC loaded quickly and were problem free on an AMD Ryzen 7-5800X GeForce RTX 3060 machine. Technical support concluded there was something wrong on my computer, yet everything else worked fine.

Quicken performance did respond to running the "Windows Update troubleshooter" improving performance for several weeks. A troubleshooter repeat bought several more weeks.

In a last ditch effort, a clean install of Win 11 Pro was done removing ALL prior partitions that could be deleted. The TPM 2.0 module was also cleared. Quicken performance now consistently matches the troubleshooter fix results. I will assume screen management issues are a result of problematic coding.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Short Update:

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@retird - you may want to contact the Office of the President…. you will get a call back - it is the way they operate.

scroll all the way to the bottom of this page:

https://www.quicken.com/about-us

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mark1104 been there, done that on another issue…. crickets…

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@retird - i have ALWAYS received a call back when submitted that OOP link. done it 3-4 times over the past few years.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

So, once again, following a software update there are performance problems. [Removed - Speculation]

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@tbf47 - or is it a function of a distributed process model, meaning Qucken has to test for every single permutation of machine that a user owns; if we all accessed the software in the cloud and maintained our data there, would this issue exist? (I am not advocating for this, but one of quicken's issue is that there is limited standardization of PCs used by its user community so isolating issues can become a challenge.)

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@tbf47 - as you know the slowness issue continues and now getting even slower. Standardization of PC's has nothing to do with it. MS Office (desktop version) runs perfectly on both of my computers who some here say my problem is the computers. All of my desktop software is installed on both computers (and runs perfectly) and only Q runs slow, and slow on both computers. Pretty well tells me where the issue resides.

I guees we just have to accept the fact that slowness is a "desired feature" of Quicken…

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@retird I am a little surprised that they left your last sentence intact. Part of mine was deleted for "speculation"

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Following the most recent software update my one step update has again degrade to a terribly slow state even failing for one of the institutions. I am noticing some character anomalies. I seem to remember some here mentioning an old graphics adaptation problem in Quicken to the newer Windows releases. Please note. My OSU is terrible following the software update.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well I never do any updates when they first come out. I have not done the last 2 updates yet but startup and OSU is slower than slow now.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I installed Q (HB&R Edition) on a brand new desktop PC last week. It’s the first application installed on this machine which is running Win 11 Pro, 32GB RAM, two 2TB SSDs (no hard drives), and a top-of-the-line Intel processor. Q’s performance is an abomination. Other applications installed after Q run beautifully, including Photoshop, Lightroom, and MS Office. Only Q is problematic.

Q is not a complicated program. It doesn’t do any heavy graphics processing. It’s not doing computational processing, only straightforward mathematics. Screen rendering is certainly not anything unusually complex. The heaviest task it performs is communications sessions with multiple institutions during a One Step Update.

I remain mystified at Q’s problems and wonder why if the company has consulted with the developer support teams at Microsoft.

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DotCom

The MicroSoft people seem to think Quicken has not kept the software adaption to the changes in Windows OS over time. I am using Windows 10 Pro. I am using a PC (relatively new) with a SSD. I only own a PC to run Quicken. Quicken for Mac is not to my liking.

• SGK
    SGK Member ✭✭
    Options

user since DOS. The program itself seems to run Ok for me but I did not buy the program to avoid writing something down. I bought it to reconcile my banking accounts every morning, and to catch any thieves as quick as possible. When it was direct connect to my accounts that worked Ok other than when a bank was down, or Quicken itself was broken. However as soon as it went to web express connect the long update delays started. Now those updates can be a day behind. Quicken staff always blame someone else, you see it in their answers. BUT I do have a solution. I built a spread sheet in excel. It takes me less time to update it than to sit here and see Quicken do its upload paces 2 or 3 minutes of "Waiting…. Waiting….. Waiting….. Downloading…. Processing…." then nothing updates. Yet I already know there are updates that should have downloaded because I have looked at my bank accounts in their webpages. So sad for Quicken staff - my auto-renewal at Quicken is turned off, and come the end of this renewal - I am gone from them. Besides - the Quicken I have now does a poor job of opening all the old Quicken files to look for something archive, and if I go more than one year Quicken does bog down. On a scale of one to 10, the program is now a 2. However we see that lack of concern for clients' needs almost everywhere now. It is a sign of people wanted to be paid without performing. It includes the owners of Quicken who could fix this if they wanted to.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SGK FYI….. this thread is not shown in the Discussion area any more. It was moved and is hard to find unless you search or have bookmarked it. I ponder them moving it??? It has been over a month now since any update of when this will be fixed….. It does say on the Discussion Page slowness was fixed in May/2023….. this tread was started in June as the slowness is still an issue. My opinion is that this thread was moved to be "out of site-out of mind". (Mod can strike my last sentence if it is not allowed).

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are we all part of rolling Quicken bandwidth allocation strategy? I mean, are we all longing into the Q mothership to do software updates and executing the OSU? Or maybe they are providing the very cheapest host band width as possible and depending on our geographic location we get fast access and execution?

Question is do we all have the same priority of access to the mothership? They are mute on the problem as noted by @retird. It has probably been a couple of months since Q said they were getting on it. Because we stopped raising the issue they stopped addressing it. It is a real shame they don't have strong competitor. Competition benefits the consumer!

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@tbf47 … I have often thought about what you just posted. The third party servers (Intuit) may just be where the bottleneck is at. Some time ago I spent a grest deal of time trying to find a way to personally talk to Intuit's IT folks about this. YOU CAN'T DO IT…. Apparently they isolate from any Quicken issues….

SO THE SLOWNESS ISSUE CONTINUES………………..

Since they moved this thread and it's so it's hard to find maybe we just need to start a new thread that shows in the Discussion Area again.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

@retird, I don't know where Quicken's servers are or who operates them. I don't know if there are mirrored severs in multiple locations to minimize response times. I don't know if it runs on Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or some other cloud SAAS platform. Keep in mind that Intuit washed its hands of Quicken seven years ago. In 2016, Quicken was acquired by H.I.G. Capital. H.I.G., in turn, sold Quicken to Aquiline Capital Partners in 2021. Quicken is merely one of 100 corporations in Aquiline's portfolio. Where do you think that puts things like solving Quicken's performance problems or totally modernizing the program on Aquiline's priority list? I'll bet it's not No. 1. Quicken is a vintage application running on an ancient codebase.

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• DRHayes
    DRHayes Member ✭✭
    Options

What are the recommended steps when Quicken is slow? Is there a standard procedure that I can reference. Almost everything that I do in Quicken takes GREAT patience. I have validated the file and that did not help.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

It is my understanding that all data eventually flows thru Intuit servers to and from Quicken …

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't have recommended steps, but I usually go make a sandwich…

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I too have tried all the home remedies for trying to speed up Quicken. I even called Microsoft. They thought that Quicken needed to update(modernize) the code.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Having "jumped thru all the hoops several times" that others have recommended without success I would make this recommendation:

Quicken's "Windows Team" needs to get with the Quicken's "Quicken Team" and fix this…… [Edited - Readability]

[Removed - Off Topic]

• Mycroft
    Mycroft Member
    Options

Too aggravating. For too long. I quit!