Quicken is S L O W - Everyone affected Please chime in.

Options

Answers

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@tbf47 Yes, indeed. As I said earlier, "Quicken is a vintage application running on an ancient codebase."

And with the company changing ownership twice in recent years, I surmise that modernizing the code is simply not a priority. Just my worthless opinion based on no known facts. But, if there's one thing I'm never short of, it's opinions.

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Quicken performance has worsened for me. Long ins are real long again. 2 of the "companies" I sync with OSU representing over half of my accounts will not work ELAN has been broken for a few weeks. Now Edward Jones is broken. This is the P I T S ……

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

• dzulik
    dzulik Member ✭✭
    Options

Asking for a friend: who is as excited as me that the latest update is focused on the imptortant stuff like a new logo?

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

I see that Quicken has a snazzy new logo! Has that helped improve the program's performance for anyone?

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• SBliz
    SBliz Member
    Options

I would love to keep using quicken, but the poor performance is just too poor. Ridiculously slow when doing anything and I've already done hours of troubleshooting - fixing the file, reducing file size, all to no avail. The Simplifi app is NOT going to work for me, and is not even a good competitor to its rival apps. Simplifi only has 100k downloads in the app store and Quicken has over 20 million actual USERS.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SBliz

I have been wondering about Simplifi. I suspected it was too minimalistic. i appreciate your comments. Quicken has management problems evidently. I would like to know where you got the number of 20 million. Interesting number. Seems that would generate enough profit to take care of the subscriber base. One of my big questions is this, How many actual Quicken associates personally use the Win. product daily? IMO, I think that this chronic abdication of responsibilities indicates not many.

• DRHayes
    DRHayes Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I am about there - this has been going on for too long. Keeps getting worse. Quicken does not seem to care.

Changing the logo is not fixing anything. Frustrated!

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@DRHayes

I don’t know if this is about Q’s lack of concern or its developers’ utter inability to do anything about it. And remember, Q is now owned by a company has 99 others in its portfolio. Q is not anywhere near the top of any priority list.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DotCom @DRHayes

Here is the Q Alert on the slowness issue. No update since Aug. 9 and no ETA for resolution. You might want to "bookmark" it as it's not easy to find….

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• CMcP
    CMcP Member
    Options

November 14th - One step updates taking 15 minutes to half an hour. It appears to be hanging up trying to update Quicken's servers not in the download of data from 3d parties. Is the problem back at the host. As an old data center manager who has used Quicken since the 80's, I have to wonder if there has been a change in hosting platform or network provider.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

Multiple changes of ownership, for starters. It’s now one of 100 companies in a portfolio.

• ASauri
    ASauri Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I noticed the same issue with my Windows 11 version of Quicken Classic Deluxe (Version R52.33, Build 27.1.52.33). Once signed into my Quicken file, it would take over one minute to display the request for my Vault password and the account data downloads were taking too long. In an effort to reduce the time, I tried various posted suggestions with no luck. I ended up correcting the issues by completely uninstalling Quicken, rebooting, and then cleaning up my Windows registry of all Quicken-related entries using the program CCleaner. Once that was completed, I rebooted my PC once again and did a fresh install of Quicken. That seems to have done the trick. The wait time from entering my file password to the screen requesting my Vault password is down to 23 seconds and the account data downloads are much quicker.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I see that R53.16 is being released to a limited number of us. It includes this:

• Addressed various stability issues, including crashes, freezes, and slowdowns, to enhance overall system performance and reliability.

I hope it works…..

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

curiously, I don’t have an issue with crashes. It’s the sloth-like performance.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hope this part works…. "enhance overall system performance and reliability."

• Roldanjr
    Roldanjr Member ✭✭
    Options

Today is 11/27/2023 and Quicken (classic starter edition) is still slooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww

Is there anyone at quicken looking at this?

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@Roldanjr

We’re told it’s being worked on. I have no further interpretation.

• Brow4252
    Brow4252 Member
    Options

Hello community,

As a non-boomer (I'm 34) math major, engineer, computer gal, I can tell you I've been using intuit's Mint financial tracker since maybe 2007. Mint is the best financial tracker I've ever found, shows all my transactions (even if pending) almost instantly no matter the operating system or mobile version, etc. updates quickly (literally fully functional in a few seconds each time, even if it's been months between uses). I use it to set and track budgets, reconcile accounts, see spending, investments, assets, it's all one one spot and it all talks.

October 31 of this year, they announced mint is going in the garbage can at the end of the year, with no alternative. Queue heartbreak. It's "merging" with credit karma, which is just a garbage ad program to get you to open cards or loans, I've tried it out again recently in my hopeful hunt for a Mint replacement and there's no utility there.

This left me desperate for a replacement for 17 years of data and a way to move forward. It is important to me that the new solution have a mobile component, as I'm using this for personal finances, and I do much of that in hours that should be non-waking. In my hunt, I've tried Empower, "You need a budget" (ynab), and most recently, purchased monthly subscriptions to both quicken simplifi and quicken classic. Empower does not offer the utility I need, it's no where near as powerful as mint. "Ynab", a joke. Simplifi wants to be mint, but my transactions don't show up for many days, meaning by the time I categorize them, I've forgotten the amounts to be split into each category (simultaneously, I can open mint and BAM, right there). Simplifi doesn't let me set the levels of budgets, schedule upcoming bills, see my cash flow, provide insights on spending and allow me to use their graphs like pivot tables like I always have in mint to display the trends I'm looking for.

Which brings me to quicken classic. I was sure it would be the answer. So far, I've been nothing if not disappointed. I've spent hours on end getting all my accounts entered, transactions updated, and data just present enough to give it a real college try. My findings are as follows:

Every time I open quicken on a PC, it loses its damn mind. 10 minutes or so of updating ("syncing") my accounts and transactions, though it usually changes nothing from the previous boot. I have gaming PC that I built myself, (continuously upgrade as needed) is fully updated, I can promise you it's not an old hardware or OS issue. WHY SO SLOW. I know as a non-boomer, I'm inclined to impatience with slow technology, but COME ON this is insane, especially since I'm paying a monthly fee.

The "bills" I enter on PC won't display on the mobile or web apps, leaving me tethered to one PC.

The "budgets" I create on PC won't display on the Mobile or Web apps, what the heck good is this thing anyway?

Transactions take 5-7 DAYS more to show up on quicken classic than on mint. They even show up sooner on quicken simplifi. What the heck? How come the absolutely free software (mint) can do it better than the subscription paid simplifi, and how come two separate paid services through the same company see them at such different times?

I can't help but agree that it's possible quicken big wigs have decided the quicken user base is aging and therefore, why continue the upkeep on the software? They've already made the bucks they're going to. But I've got decades left of personal finances. What do I do? Hopefully someone sees the need and fills it with assume properly written code, I'd pay a pretty penny for a real product that works again. Considering sitting down and just starting to code my own solution, might be the fastest route considering the general lack of concern that seems shown by quicken based on this thread.

• Kurt3
    Kurt3 Member ✭✭
    Options

This is the slowest Windows application ever written. I have been using Quicken for 23 years. I am running Quicken Classic Deluxe on Windows 10 and download all updates for Windows and Quicken. I am not storing my file on Quicken servers and I am not linked to any financial institutions. The application is still deathly slow to start; plus for the last month, sometimes it opens my file on start-up and other times I have to click on Files and select the file.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Kurt3

On a brand new PC running Win 11 Pro with 32GB of RAM, Q was the first application I installed. I should have timed the One-Step Update not with a stopwatch, but with a calendar. That the company apparently lacks the competence to fix this is an abomination.

Keep in mind that Quicken is one of 100 companies in the portfolio of Aquiline Capital Partners LLC (as of 2021). The portfolio includes bank holding corporations and many other companies that are far larger than Quicken, which is tiny in comparison and likely a very low priority.

• stephenmwiz
    Options

30 minutes for one step update. Guess I wont be updating my subscription…quicker to just manually updating everything

• Bank$
    Bank$ Member
    Options

Some updates can take over 90 minutes, depends on who knows what. Microsoft Money was 10X more reliable than "Quicken". They can't fix this slow update issue but had no problem jacking up the annual subscription charge. Again.

• JohnM3
    JohnM3 Member ✭✭
    Options

One step update is running much much faster the last few days. Hope it continues.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21
    Options

After the slowness of yesterday morning, OSU has been running really well for me since yesterday afternoon. 1-1/2 days of good speed and reliability is a good sign and indicates the Quicken servers issue is perhaps really resolved.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• robob
    robob Member
    Options

Way too slow to use any more

• scott9
    scott9 Member ✭✭
    Options

I was hoping to get to end of this thread with a resolution, but nothing. Quicken is becoming so frustrating but there's nothing out there with these features. Really wish they could get some robustness back to the software that was rock solid for a couple of decades... sad.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes i agree. I am a daily user since the DOS days.

• figlio
    figlio Member ✭✭
    Options

no problem on my Mac

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@figlio, How long have you been using Quicken on Mac? Were you on the Windows version before ? i am curious how some transitions. I suspect, from conversations, they company would prefer a transition to the Mac version. I looked at it. It did not seem as robust to me. Would love to hear about your experience. Do you you track brokerage as well as banking? Thanks

• figlio
    figlio Member ✭✭
    Options

I haver never used Windows… always Mac since about 1997