Quicken is S L O W - Everyone affected Please chime in.

Options

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would like to be part of the solution, but some users posting in this discussion seem unwilling to aid in those efforts.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is there anyone out there having the problem that Does NOT use a VPN?

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have a question for those posting here:

What results do you get when you run Windows 11 Trouble Shooter only trouble shooting Quicken? I ran it on both computers and both computers wanted to test run the results in Quicken. When starting Quicken it immediately gives a popup wanting to make changes to Quicken before completing startup which I will not do. Not gonna mess with latest version of Quicken Premier. It appears Win11 Troubleshooter found something it didn't like. I know not what. Do you get the same results?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't use a VPN while I'm at home and I was having this issue from at home until I'd updated to R51.12 yesterday.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@TTSguy I have never used a VPN ever. Not even once.

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I wonder if Q’s developers have consulted with Microsoft Developer Support. If not, they certainly should.

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@TTSguy I don't use a VPN at home

@DotCom I wonder too….

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Joyce
    Joyce Member ✭✭
    Options

For the last several days, Quicken suddenly got slow. It seems to me that it happened after the recent Quicken update and around the same time, a Windows 10 update.

It takes about a minute to load, and ALL user requested activities are very slow. The quicken screen changes sizes back and forth, and when I request updates, the quicken program flashes black while it is working.

Although I have done recommended fixes, including validation of files, cleaning and restarting my PC, redownloading Quicken, it has not helped. Interestingly, restarting the PC helps in the initial load, but later it is slow again. Also, when I checked to be certain I had the latest update, I got an error, but when I turned off my VPN, it said I had the latest. I never had an issue before using my VPN with Quicken. I made sure, also, any automated updates were removed.

It is clear to me, as all was fine before, and the slowness was sudden without any changes on my part, this is some sort of conflict between software.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I decided to run diagnostics again on my 2 computers so I can post the results here. I compiled the results into 2 *.pdf files. Each .pdf is 1 computer. Exactly ZERO issues were identified on either computer. I used the Diagnostics procedures provided by the manufacturers.

I again will point you to the Windows 11 Troubleshooter that was also ran on both computers and both times the troubleshooter only looked at Quicken. Both times at startup of Quicken the troubleshooter immediately wanted permission to make changes to Quicken before completing startup which I will not do to the latest version of Quicken installed on both computers (R51.12). The troubleshooter saw something it didn't like.

Here are the *.pdf's for your review.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@retird Same for me. I also ran Validate and Super-Validate on my 98MB QDF. Totally clean. And if there was a Super-Duper-Validate…

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2023
    Options

I manually (not from within Quicken) updated to R51.12 on 8/5 and this slowness issue was resolved and has not returned.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac Please explain how you updated. thanks

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@TTSguy I do not use a VPN

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@retird

I am windows 10

I ran the troubleshooter. It did nothing. Not even sure it looked at the software .

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I almost never let the installation update the version. Granted, it works well much of the time but it's been my experience that it can be problematic and sometimes fails to install properly. When the installation doesn't go well Quicken can have some very unpredictable behavior and data files might return errors.

I will almost always manually update my Quicken installation as was posted earlier in this thread:

….I recommend not updating from within Quicken since there are a fair number of posts in this Community of users experiencing issues when updating from within Quicken.

Instead, close Quicken and then manually download and install the R51.12 Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product which IMO is a more reliable and trouble-free method for updating Quicken.

To install the downloaded Manual Patch file: Just double click on it. (Might need to run it as an Administrator.)

Once the manual installation is completed, launch Quicken. It should then open your you last run data file.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

THX for trying. In WIN 11 you get a list of software to choose from. Quicken was not in the list but there was an option to pick your software not listed. I selected Quicken.exe in the Quicken folder and ran it. I understand they worked on the troubleshooter for WIN11.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@tbf47 I found a good video on WIN10 Troubleshooter….Select Additional troubleshooter and you want the "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter" .

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@retird

It has been several days. I believe Quicken was on a very short list but the Troubleshooter did not do anything with it .

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@tbf47 I don’t see how the Win 10 troubleshooter is of much use when running slow, slower, slowest Quicken under Win 11.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@DotCom the person I quoted was running WIN 10… I ran the WIN 11 troubleshooter..

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To the Quicken staff that may be reading this or any of you that have contacts with them, please attempt to get an update on the status of the work being done to fix Quicken and post it. It is just common courtesy to your customers. Thanks

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@tbf47

The last update: (posted on the Home Page in the Alert Section) I bookmarked it…….

ONGOING 8/9/23 

This issue remains ongoing and our teams continue to work toward a solution. No ETA or further details are available at this time, and this Alert will be updated once more information, updates, etc become available.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja

Thank you for your response. We are all appreciative of the work Quicken is putting in on these issues and we look forward to the resolution.

@tbf47

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I apologize if this is already stated elsewhere but searching through just this thread doesn't seem possible.

I'm having this slowness issue, have had it for some time (over a year? I posted about it somewhere), am currently on R51.12 and Windows 10 Home/22H2/Build 19045.3324.

I just noticed today that, if I enter an investment transaction, then ALT-TAB to another application in Windows, Quicken actually briefly disappears from the task bar, and then reappears, during the posting of that transaction.

That seems REALLY weird. I understand an application pausing, but they don't usually appear to be briefly closed, do they?

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@EmKay Quicken's screen handling is awful. On startup, it repaints my checking account register several times before it settles down. It will occasionally misbehave and take over the entire screen, obliterating the Windows taskbar for several seconds before jumping back to proper form. Sometimes, the entire screen goes black when I do a One-Step Update. I'm mystified that for a product that's 40 years old (going back to its DOS roots), it seems not to have gotten any better at screen handling.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I see all of those issues, too. Really hard to trust software that seems this … iffy.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As of 07-27-2023 Quicken is supposed to be working on the slowness issue. We have not gotten any update (in the Alerts section) since the Ongoing Alert of 08-09-2023. Still not fixed.

• dzulik
    dzulik Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I am sharing in all the pain and the frustrations of everyone here though I hardly post.

To be blunt: anyone with a tech background knows that [Removed - Speculation/Inaccurate].

The slowness issue that I am experiencing is in the OSU - it could take 5+ minutes to complete and it makes little difference how many financial institutions are actually set to update.

Also, I fully expect damage after every update.

Only using quicken since '92

• vharbuck
    vharbuck Unconfirmed
    Options

Yep, similar problems here…

OneStep Update sometimes takes well in EXCESS of 30 minutes.

Hour glass sometimes appears, followed by blacked-out of frozen windows, followed by a software crash.

"Accepting" a transaction during reconcile sometime takes 5-10 seconds.

Etc, Etc.

• dzulik
    dzulik Member ✭✭
    Options

This thread is clearly being closely monitored. My post above was edited as "inaccurate" within a few minutes. Would be nice if the progress of fix was communicated as quickly.

Disclaimer to the fact checker police: this is stated as my opinion not as fact