Quicken doesn't recognize my Data File Password

Options
fredjheller
fredjheller Member ✭✭✭

This started just before the 'Classic' upgrade. I open quicken windows, it asks for valid password for my data file (I have long used a password on data file), I enter the valid password (I can see it is valid with 'show') and it rejects it, says contact Quicken support. It leaves me with the Quicken ribbon at top that just shows 'File' and 'Help.'

I select File and the top recent file (the same one it was just trying to open presumably), it prompts for data file password, enter it, and it allows me in. When I then go to do a data update, it prompts me for quicken ID and password.

I did a 'validate' on my file and it came up with minor other items, but still has this quirk.

Quicken support has not heard of this. They said maybe a data file problem, go to a backup. That may work but is hard to recreate a few weeks of adjustments so am deferring that. If it were the data file, and it opens on the second try, it seems like the data file is likely okay.

I changed the data file password, same result, must go through process twice.

Comments

• fredjheller
    fredjheller Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Update: I changed password as noted above, and first it did the same double process noted above, but now it seems to have calmed down and problem does not occur.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad to hear that this gremlin appears to have gone away.
    I would like to recommend that you change your Backup preferences (Edit / Preferences / Backup) to ensure that you create a backup every single time you close Quicken and that you close Quicken every day when you're done working with it. That reduces the amount of need-to-do-again work in case you ever have to restore your data file from a recent backup.

• Andrew Jarabak
    Andrew Jarabak Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Today I tried to log in to my Quicken Data file with the same password I've had for years. It didn't recognize my password, so I reset it to the same one. Ok later in the day, I had to do the same thing. Has anyone else had this issue? I have the lastest Quicken version.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Andrew Jarabak,

Let’s try a few troubleshooting steps for this issue—these steps should resolve things for you, but if not, please come back and post more about your experience so we can investigate. 

First, backup your Quicken file.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• fredjheller
    fredjheller Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Actually has not gone away fully, but it is a weird one:

• I enter my password once
    • It rejects it, gives me the dialog box to check it again, or 'show'
    • I just press 'return' again — no change to the password, no toggling 'show' or anything — and it accepts it.

• Andrew Jarabak
    Andrew Jarabak Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I tried this and it didn't work. I always manage to get the file open by going thru the login procedure a lot of times. It gives me different messages etc but eventually leads me to a screen where I have to use my quicken.com logins and finally opens the file.

• MICKEYBNY
    MICKEYBNY Member ✭✭
    Options

Same is happening to me. Frustrating.

• sgh112
    sgh112 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I was in Quicken and about to do a one-step update. Quicken advised that there was a new version available, so I allowed it to update. My data password would not work. I've been using this password forever. It worked before the update, but not after.

I was able to restore the pre-update QDF file, and regain access to my data file, however, once I closed the program again, the data file became unusable. I am now trying to Validate the date file, but based on the other comments here, I am not holding out much hope.

Please Quicken, get it together.

• Jack.S
    Jack.S Member
    Options

I was not able to open my Quicken Data File for the same reason mentioned above, it would not accept my password. I restored my last backup, and it did accept my password. That the password worked on the restored backup but not the original file, does not make sense to me, but I am glad it did because I did not lose any data.

It would be nice to know if there was an update or change by Quicken that caused this.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached, the full file path of the affected Quicken file, and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-7982)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Brian McDonald
    Brian McDonald Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I'm having a similar issue. I saved my files on OneDrive. The odd twist in my issue is that it tells me that the password isn't correct. That password hasn't changed in 20 years. Then I need to reset the password via Quicken web, etc. It could have something to do with Quicken's cloud sync, which I disabled recently. I think that it was on by default. I'm going to try to not use a password on the file to see if that helps, at least until Quicken fixes things.

[Merged Post]

• Scott0011
    Scott0011 Member ✭✭
    Options

Almost the exact same experience. Began about 4-5 days ago. Also, use OneDrive but no recent changes in configuration of OneDrive.

At first responded to repeated efforts of login with same password after many iterations. Once responded to simply doing Validation without additional intervention. Today, have reset password twice taking care to then ensure file synchronized in Cloud but problem recurring.

Really feels like bad update.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Scott0011, FWIW, Quicken has never supported storing the active Quicken data file in a cloud drive folder due to the possibly of corruption which may go unnoticed until it's too late. Have you tried moving your data file to a folder on the local disk drive?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • ScottofPA
    ScottofPA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

As I attempted to open my Quicken Classic Premier [R52.33] data file, I receive a "password does not match" error. I had to select "forgot password" and create a new password although I am 100% certain I was typing the correct password. Does quicken keep a record of password changes? Can I be provided with data of when my passwords had been changed? Could there be some other explanation of why my password was not recognized by the file? Thank you.

Win11 pro on laptop

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @ScottofPA,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

[Merged Post]

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Is your active Quicken data file stored in a OneDrive folder? If so, move it to a local

[Merged Post]

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Yaakov Kaufman
    Yaakov Kaufman Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have the same problem. I restored my Quicken Data File from a backup that was 2 days old and re-entered transactions. When I closed Quicken an then reopened it, I got the same error, although I entered the password again and then the file opened.

[Merged Post]

• Brian McDonald
    Brian McDonald Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I thought that I posted here yesterday, but no longer see it. Mine is essentially "me too". My added twist is that it also "loses" my password for the file. My workaround is. a.) I temporarily removed the password protection and b.) plan on not closing Quicken until they fix the bug.

[Merged Post]

• MICKEYBNY
    MICKEYBNY Member ✭✭
    Options

I removed password to see if problem still exists and it still is giving me issues. I end up getting my data file open after a few clicks. I reported problem through to quicken by going to tool bar, Help, Report a Problem. I use One drive for past three years, which didn't pose any issues. I asked for file to stay on my c drive and still having the issue. I think it is an issue with Quicken update as this problem just started about a week ago.

• AnnieOne
    AnnieOne Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

For some odd reason, Quicken issues seem to always occur on a weekend when support isn't available. Friday's update had my financial file refusing to accept my password, which had me in a panic. I closed Quicken, restarted my computer, tried again to open the file and had no luck. Out of curiosity, I tried opening my test file. Success! Closed out and was able to open my financial file using the same password that wasn't acceptable the first time. I've had to do this for three days, after being told each time the password is incorrect when I attempt to open my financial file. Now I've noticed that sometimes if I simply click "OK" for the 2nd time, without changing the password when Quicken refuses it, the file opens. I hope this helps anyone hitting the panic button.

Quicken Version R52.33

• AnnieOne
    AnnieOne Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

For some odd reason, Quicken issues seem to always occur on a weekend when support isn't available. Friday's update had my financial file refusing to accept my password, which had me in a panic. I closed Quicken, restarted my computer, tried again to open the file and had no luck. Out of curiosity, I tried opening my test file. Success! Closed out and was able to open my financial file using the same password that wasn't acceptable the first time. I've had to do this for three days, after being told each time the password is incorrect when I attempt to open my financial file. I've validated and super-validated my file. Now I've noticed that sometimes if I simply click "OK" for the 2nd time, without changing the password when Quicken refuses it, the file opens. I hope this helps anyone hitting the panic button.

Quicken Version R52.33
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.
    Super validation has completed.

• mfallentine
    mfallentine Member ✭✭
    Options

Reporting same issue, R52.33

I put in my password, says it is not correct.

I put in the exact same password a second time, and it works. Open the file.

Definitely a bug.

• DWT
    DWT Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue here. Yes, I keep my Quicken QDF file on OneDrive, which has always worked well. As reported by others, I initially get a password error, but after entering the same password 3 or 4 times I am able to open my QDF file.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. We request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached, the full file path of the affected Quicken file, and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to get updates when available and to know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

Thank you!

(Ticket# 10543348/CTP-7982)

Quicken Kristina

• TVT77
    TVT77 Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm also a long- time Quicken user and I'm in a panic as Quicken would not recognize my password which has worked for over 10 years without an incident. Started 2 days ago (I believe after I accepted a new update). I'm deathly afraid of being permanently locked out of my file.

Is there a way to remove the password requirement until this thing is resolved by Quicken's Development and Product teams? I'm willing to take the risk of no password for a short time to ensure I don't get permanently locked out of my 10 year old file.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Brian McDonald,

Since the issue you describe matches the issue discussed in this thread, your posts were moved here. Please review this post from earlier today if you would like to contribute to the investigation of this issue and track the issue:

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• sflund
    sflund Member ✭✭
    Options

I am also having this problem. I am a long term user and have never had this problem before.

• mckeerw
    mckeerw Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem with Data File password that everyone else above is having. Started 2 days ago for me.

• stwilliamsfl
    stwilliamsfl Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Has anyone else seen this issue? When my password fails, I exit Quicken and re-launch. Then my password will work. I'm certain I'm typing in the same password each time. This has been occuring for a couple of weeks. It started after I had to make a copy of my file and started using the copy to resolve another issue.

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @stwilliamsfl,

For clarification; Could you please specify which password you are referring to? E.g.: is it your data file password, Quicken ID password, or financial institution password?

Check back and let us know!

[Merged Post]

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.