Tax Planner - Antiquated?

Options
CowboyNav1
CowboyNav1 Member ✭✭
edited January 7 in Budget and Planning Tools

Seems like the Tax Planner could use a major upgrade.

The Data Source list for EACH line, including Interest/Dividend Inc and Captial Gains, should include the option to use "Quicken Data (from LastYYYY)" not just those items under the Deductions section.

The "TurboTax (from YYYY)" Data Source option should be automatically removed if there is no TurboTax from the last year or at least set as an option to display/not display on the Preferences list. I'm tired of seeing, "TurboTax (from 2000)" as a Data Source for the last 23 years.

Since Intuit owns TurboTax, I'm surprised the Tax Planner is not more agile.

9 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Tax Planner does have an antiquated user interface.

But almost every line has a detail section at the bottom, accessed by clicking on the underlined name of the line.

Intuit owns TurboTax, but Quicken has been a separate company since 2016.

QWin Premier subscription
  • CowboyNav1
    CowboyNav1 Member ✭✭
    edited January 6
    Options

Yes, agree on the antiquated and detail section. I should have been clearer on my post.

It is that detail section that 'm referencing in regards to removing or having the option to remove TurboTax (in my case from over 20 years ago) as a Data Source.

Additionally, adding "Quicken Data (from 2023)" as a Data Source to all the Tax Planner lines (i.e. Interest/Dividend Inc, Capital Gains, etc) and not just the Budget section, would be a GREAT Data Source to improve the estimate of 2024 Taxes. Instead, my only option is to manually enter last year's data in the "User Entered" line…that seems a bit outdated.

Thanks for your review and response as well as the company info.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Are you looking at the Tax Planner in a current version of Quicken for Windows? What Tax Year do you have set at the top?

Mine does not have a Budget section. In the detail section for each of the summary lines, it has "Quicken Data (from 2023)" if the planner section has data from 2023 but no data from 2024. If there is data or Reminders for 2024, it shows that data instead.

Perhaps you could post a screenshot of what you are seeing.

• CowboyNav1
    CowboyNav1 Member ✭✭
    edited January 6
    Options

Jim, apologize for speeding on my response…replace "Budget" with "Deduction" and my comment will hopefully make more sense.

I've attached two screenshots of the difference I referring to in regards to having the 2024 Tax Planner include the option to use my 2023 data as its Source.

Quicken for Windows, R53.32

• Jim_Harman
    Options

OK, Deduction makes more sense.

No screenshots attached. If you don't see the Attach option, you should be able to drag and drop or copy and paste images inline with the text you type.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What Antiquated?

It is "state of the art" if you consider Bill Gates attempt to catch up to his miss on understanding that the Internet was going to be a big thing. This comes from the "Desktop as the Internet" era (shortly before 2000). It was great time, the Desktop applications like Quicken where now all "web pages" and calling Internet Explorer libraries. And when Microsoft would put in changes to Internet Explorer and break things you click on something in Quicken and it would give 404 - Page not found errors. What great time to be alive. 🤣

Note that most of the business forms come from this same interface.

What you have here is actually a fixed webpage where Quicken will push and pull data from that webpage in the background. This is one of the "stumbling blocks" that people that want dark mode don't get. Not to mention properly scaling on high resolution screens and such.

And I know what you mean by the TurboTax line, since I did go down that route for some years and then stopped because I found it not very useful:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have flagged the moderators to change this to an Idea that can be voted on.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • CowboyNav1
    CowboyNav1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I think both of you get it. Just to close the loop, I've uploaded the image of the Deductions details which has an option to use last year's data. Compare that to Interest details image in Chris's. Would be nice to have all the Tax Planner sections list last year data as a Source…and "save the space" effort to remove the TurboTax line!

Thanks to both for your interest and flagging to help improve.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @CowboyNav1,

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Our Development and Product teams also review ideas to improve Quicken and implement new customer-requested features.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jl747
    jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want to import your TurboTax file into the Planner all your get the Error 2 code.
    Just tried it again. Still not working whether TT is open or closed.
    Short file name & no password.

This wasn't fixed until about June of last year when it happened then.

See for 2023 TT failure

Quicken Classic Business & Personal R55.15
    Windows 10 Pro

Quicken Windows Business & Personal (Subscription) - Using the latest version -Windows 10 Pro