How to Add US Accounts to Canadian version ?

Options
Mo H
Mo H Member ✭✭

Hi

I got Quicken Canadian version and tried link my US accounts using web connect file.

When importing a file downloaded from Chase, I got an error saying that the financial institution is not recognized.

How can I resolve this?

Thanks

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can't. Almost 99.999% of the time Quicken Windows doesn't support downloading transactions from "different countries", and certainly not if they aren't on the approved list that you are shown when adding an account. Quicken Window US is only US financial institutions and Quicken Windows Canadian is only Canadian financial institutions. There are some rare financial institutions that support both countries, but even then it seems like more times than not, they don't support it in the other countries currency.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mo H
    Mo H Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks

I’m trying to have my accounts in one place.

This blocking makes it a useless product for users with active accounts in both countries.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Mac version of Quicken supports downloading of transactions from USA and Canada. With the windows versions, you need to choose one country or the other.

• Mo H
    Mo H Member ✭✭
    Options

hmmm interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Makes it more obvious that Quicken, the company ,is not aligned across products.

• Mo H
    Mo H Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina Can you chime in?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

They have never been.

BTW I saw this "weird" post the other day, and really wondered about it, but they haven't reported back as of now:

It doesn't surprise me that RBC is in the US list, it has been in there basically forever, it is one of the rare "crossover" financial institutions.

What really surprised me is that he can connect to/download in CAD, because as far as I knew that isn't possible. That the US version blocks it.

But a while ago it was evident that they had merged the Canadian branch back into the US branch. They still are "separated" just that now instead of at compile time the behavior is at run time. I have both US and Canadian data files, and it will switch depending on which one I open. The install for Quicken is the same for both, but they do get different patches.

Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

I'm not sure that it is correct to say that RBC is "crossover" FI. I haven't tested the use case under discussion, but what I have observed is that several of the large Canadian financial institutions have US subsidiaries. However, some of those subsidiaries are at arms length and you can't access the accounts from one side of the house from the other side of the house. That is, if you have an account with the Canadian parent, you won't see it if you log into the US subsidiary. I'm not sure whether there is crossover with RBC - my point is, just because and FI has presence in both countries and appears on both FIDIR.TXT lists, that doesn't necessarily mean that there is crossover support for Quicken… if you follow me. This might be true for some of the few FIs that appear on both FIDIR.TXTs but not necessarily true for all. Clearly, if you achieve any "crossover" download functionality with Quicken for Windows you have happened on a rare (and lucky) exception - no one should expect this to work "as a rule" or default.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare Yes, my "term crossover", is not an accurate way of putting it. And that is why I find the thread posted thread so interesting. I wish that guy would come back and fill in some of the details.

Instead of "crossover" I should have probably said, in rare cases you will find that one financial institution is listed both in the US and the Canadian lists. But as far as I knew up to the point that I saw the posted thread, the US version would only download in USD. So, like you said it really isn't a "Canadian" account. On the other hand, (you would know better) I thought that it was possible for a few Canadian banks to actually download from a US bank in USD (but extremely rare), but I might be totally wrong about that. It was my understanding that the Canadian version allows QFX files that aren't just CAD, but for sure the same isn't true of the US version, it will reject QFX files that aren't USD. I mean after all there is that nasty bug where for some financial institutions downloading with Express Web Connect that the currency can be wrong and change a CAD account to a USD account.

But this is the first time I have ever seen someone with the US version say that they could setup an online account in CAD.

I might add for the sake of the actual question in this thread that there is an existing idea that is marked plan to allow for downloading from both countries, but it has also been in the planning state for a long time:

Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Options

Further to your point, I do download USD accounts into the Canadian version, but those are accounts denominated in USD, but are held at a Canadian institution. I've never attempted to download transactions from any institution that is not a true Canadian institution.

And, in my experience, there are two cases where Quicken would convert an account from CAD to USD and that is the following:

• There was a "bug" that caused accounts denominated in CAD to get switched over to USD; the bug was triggered by running a OSU in a situation where there were zero transactions in the 90 day history. As long as there was at least one transaction in the 90 day history, regardless of whether that one transaction was previously downloaded, the currency setting was properly maintained. But, if you ran a OSU update and there was a null set of transactions for download from the FI, then the Quicken account's currency would flip from CAD to USD. I'm not 100% certain whether this bug was ever fixed. I ended up removing any of my accounts with very infrequent transactions from my OSU set. For example, I have a Line of Credit that I very rarely use. It was prone to being switched from CAD to USD because of the inactivity bug. I removed the LoC account from EWC/OSU to avoid the currency switch.
    • The other case seems to be where the the [CURDEF] in the downloaded data is wrong (i.e. downloaded [CURDEF] is "USD" when it should be "CAD". I figured that was an error made by the financial institution in whatever system they use to generate the QFX format file, but maybe that date/file could be affected by some of the data transposition that happens on the Intuit or Quicken servers (in the case of EWC of course - there is no server workflow for Web Connect)? I don't believe this scenario is an application bug; rather it is incorrect field data in the QFX… if this makes sense?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't believe this scenario is an application bug; rather it is incorrect field data in the QFX… if this makes sense?

Yes, that makes sense.

And thanks for confirming that Quicken Canadian can download transactions in USD (provided the account is setup for it). And that makes me wonder if I have been testing Quicken US's rejection wrong. Maybe it is rejecting it not because of the QFX file having CAD in it, but it knows that the financial institution Id I'm using is connected to a USD account type. I don't see anything in fidir.txt list that would indicate that, but it is something to test.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, that is a sort of a no go (at least for me), every financial institution that seems to be connected to Canada is Express Web Connect, so I can't use a QFX file to test. It has some interesting behavior though. It actually creates the account, but refuses to import the transactions because it says the currency (CAD) doesn't match the account currency. I even tried creating a CAD account first, and the "link list" only included that account so it "knows" that the currencies match, but again it says they are the same when trying the actual import.

Signature:
  • Mo H
    Mo H Member ✭✭
    Options

I was able to import a USD QFX file from a Canadian bank and import it into Quicken Canada with no issues. It created the account in USD and I didn’t need to set it up before importing.

I have access to both US and CA Quicken versions . Is there a way to export accounts from one to another?

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can try exporting and importing using QIF.

Always have reliable backups before trying to manipulate data in your file.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In that case I have a solution for you.

The financial institution Id is checked that it is in the list and supports Web Connect/QFX file for the given financial institution for the given account type, but it doesn't actually contact the financial institution. If you know of a financial institution that fits that bill you can use their financial institution Id. So, what is needed is to edit the Chase QFX file and change the FID and INTU.BID fields to the Canadian financial institution's ones that work. As it turns out I recently added a new feature to my free program ImportQIF to do exactly that.

Add the Account on the Setup tab and then select the Convert QFX/OFX to QIF button to turn on Convert QFX/QFX to QFX.

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.